march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 27, 1999
Absolutely the best boxed set I've heard--it's sequenced with real attention to flow and listenability. And it kicks. So hard. Like, disc 3 in particular just makes people's jaws drop when I play it for them--"James Brown did _this_? I need some of his records..." STAR TIME includes the lion's share of his hits (though if it had included all of them it would have had to be a few discs longer--remember, this is a man who hit the charts with every [non-holiday/non-instrumental] single he released for ten years, and he was releasing a single just about every month).
In response to somebody's comment below: yes, the first disc is pre-funk stuff. It's AMAZING pre-funk stuff: before he invented funk, James was a phenomenal soul howler.
Seriously: if you're not familiar with JB's work, this is an extraordinary survey of his peak years. And SO much fun.
on January 9, 2000
Put any of the CDs in your player. Pick any random track and hit play. Sit back for a couple minutes or so and try to sit still. I can guarantee you that it's almost impossible! James Brown's music isn't just heard. It gets inside you and moves your body, no matter what you do. While the first CD is not as funky as the rest, it has its share of greats. But it's not until the last three that you can really feel it. Many of the tracks I'm sure you've heard the tune for, but never knew the names, let alone that James Brown sang it. In the music category known as "Funk," the "Star Time" Box Set stands among the greats. It comes the closest to capturing the essence of funk. And if you need to exercise to lose weight, don't spend money on equipment or at the gym. Just buy this set of four CDs and get up, get into it, and get involved.
on February 10, 1999
I have an extensive collection of cds (if I do say so myself) including a number of box sets. THIS IS THE BEST BOX SET I HAVE EVER HEARD. I put this thing on and I could not leave the room, I was dancing and singing like I hadn't done in 20 years. Everytime I moved to the machine to cut it off -the music made me stop. If you like James Brown and if you can only get one compliation of his work THIS IS THE ONE. There it is, mother popcorn,licking stick, doing it to death, can't stand it, hot pants, soul power and, believe it or not even MORE- so much funk it should be declared a deadly weapon. The godfather strikes again and again and again with his superbad, papa's got a brand new bag, havin a funky good time self 'cause it he made it that way-FUNKY. Don't miss this one and don't let your friends miss it either!!!!!
on December 19, 1999
what can you say? the man is super bad.his music has tresended time and inspired countless others.the beats were ahead of there time and still sound fresh just ask the rap&hip-hop community? who have benefited from him.as well as pop artists.this box set traces him from the 50's thru the 80's.he did his major damage from the late 50's to the mid 70's.creating the 4/4 beat chicken scratch guitar and the drums not to mention the horns.in one hundred years folks like miles davis,duke ellington&james brown will be viewed as mozart,beethoven&strauss are today. classical composers.james's genius is timeless.there will never be another artist like him.he is one of a kind.the godfather is a father of music.
on March 13, 2000
The word "essential" is used alot in regard to records, but here it fits the bill and then some: this boxed-set belongs in anyone's collection. I especially enjoyed hearing full-length versions of "Let Yourself Go", "Bring It Up", "Cold Sweat", and "Papa's...Bag"; the pre-edit "Money Won't Change You"; and the prev. unrel. tracks from '68 and '71. However, I was disappointed to note that some notable JB B-sides like "Georgia.." and "If I Ruled The World", two concert staples, were omitted, and could have fit in if several long tracks had been used in "Part One" form.
on March 13, 2000
The word "essential" is used alot in regard to records, but here it fits the bill and then some: it belongs in anyone's collection. I especially enjoyed hearing full-length versions of "Let Yourself Go", "Bring It Up", "Cold Sweat", and "Papa's...Bag"; the pre-edit "Money Won't Change You"; and the prev. unrel. tracks from '68 and '71. However, I was disappointed to note that some notable JB non-hits like "Georgia.." and "If If I Ruled The World", two concert staples, were omitted, and could have fit in if some long tracks had been used in "Part One" form.
on March 13, 2000
The word "essential" is used alot in regard to records, but here it fits the bill and then some: it belongs in anyone's collection. I especially enjoyed hearing full-length versions of "Let Yourself Go", "Bring It Up", "Cold Sweat", and "Papa's...Bag"; the pre-edit "Money Won't Change You"; and the prev. unrel. tracks from '68 and '71. However, I was disappointed to note that some notable JB non-hits like "Georgia.." and "If I Ruled The World", two concert staples, were omitted, and could have fit in if some long tracks had been used in "Part One" form.
on May 31, 2002
When I hear young people talk about what great grooves today's rappers have, I want to just grab them by the ear and make them listen to this entire box set. Hip-hop was not invented in 1993 by Tupac; it started here!! Everyone owes a debt to the Godfather of Soul. If you can play someone this set, and their toes are not tapping, you better call 911 cuz they're dead. Today's young people certainly don't know enough about history, but they also need to be made aware of musical history, which to many fans like me, might just be more important. This box set might just be the greatest Christmas present you ever receive. Ask Santa now!!!!
on January 4, 2004
This is probably the funkiest collection available. There's just no way you could be dissapointed by this boxset if you are at all interested in James Brown. It's awesome, relentless and irresistible: this music will bring out the funk in YOU and it feels just great. Also... this is invigorating music, somehow (this I think it has in common with classical music) it makes anything you play afterwards fresh and new (unless it's something really twee like the Carpenters) and for that alone it is easily recommended. If you have the cash, this is money well spent. There's a reason for all the 5 star reviews here. It's Star Time!
on February 3, 2001
How can I possibly describe my feelings for this box set? I bought "Star Time" in 1995 and it ruled my stereo for over a year. James Brown for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Each CD is jammed with the magic and intensity of Mr. Brown and his dozens of funky collaborators. I'm particularly enamored of the rhythmic explosions of the early 1970s compositions (Bootsy Collins, baby!), but I also get down to the sixties songs. Each and every James Brown scream is awe-inspiring. In short, "Star Time" is indispensable and a truly majestic collection of revolutionary music.