countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 11, 2015
Composer Carl Orff has officially approved of this performance of his work. It is an excellent recording of an excellent performance. Bravo to Amazon for offering this version for purchase!
on July 29, 2015
A wonderful rendition of Carmina. No one tops Fischer-Dieskau
on April 28, 2004
This is a fantastic recording of carmina burana some parts are so dramatic I sang carmina burana with my school choir (Trevelyan School) it was a wonderful experience so I could not resist buying it on cd.
AN EXCELENT ACHIEVMENT
on April 28, 2004
This album is fantastic it is so dramatic and at times very loud although some of it is soft it is also good for all ages even children.I sang in Carmina Burana with my school choir (Trevelyan School) in March 2004 and seeing it live and singing in it was a great experience so I could not resist buying it.
AN EXCELENT ACHIEVMENT!
on April 27, 2004
It may sound chauvinistic to say so, but in this case, I think a work by a German composer (using old German for part of its text) is best interpreted by German performers. Eugen Jochum is a superb interpreter, keeping this somewhat chaotic work from sounding sloppy or disjointed.
There are some problems with volume levels -- they vary WIDELY.
The chorus and orchestra is that of the Deutsche Oper. They are very fine. They are quite used to singing with expression, and it shows.
Soloists are all good. I think I've heard better renditions of the dying swan, but this is clearly a matter of taste.
The baritone solo part is extremely demanding to be done at all well. The baritone is Fischer-Dieskau, and there is none better. He does just incredibly well, showing devastingly fine technique.
You'll find newer jobs, but none significantly better than this.
on September 14, 2003
This has to be one of the finest works to ever listen to. A must have for any CD library collection.
on January 22, 2003
First, I would like to say that I don't know anything regarding classical or opera terms, and that I'm writing this review as your average Joe who loves music. Ok, with that said, I highly recommend this CD. I first saw the Trans Siberian Orchestra perform O Fortuna live, and since that moment I became obsessed with finding the perfect recording. I've read a lot of reviews from both musicians and collectors, and this was ranked very high (with few exception like you'llfind with Amazon[.com] reviews). Furthermore, Carl Orff himself has approved this album. What more do you need. It's performed as he intended. I would also like to add that I was never a big fan of Opera style music, but his style is so unique that you can't help but love it. More so, the lyrics are actual poems from real people who lived hundreds of years before Carl applied the music. There is true history and meaning in the words (if you can understand Latin). Please, do yourself a favor and buy this album. It's worth it, especially for the price listed.
on January 12, 2002
This was the third recording of Carmina Burana I had ever listened to and at the time, I thought it was the best. However, after hearing James Levine's recording, this one has become second best.
Don't get me wrong... it's very Germanic, robust, strong, and exciting in every aspect. But technically, it has it's share of problems. The choir and orchestra fight with one another and A LOT of pronunciation gets lost to shouting.
All that aside, I'm giving Jochum's recording five stars because of the energy injected into it. It drives faster and faster and is truly a heart pounding performance.
The soloists are exemplary, with Fischer-Dieskau's Abbot's song amazingly acted out in song.
The Roasted Swan Song is in a Stolze's falsetto, a quality that gives it an amusing vulgarity.
And I don't care what anyone says about Gundula Janowitz... I still love her voice as it always sounds beautifully pure and sparkling.
I would still higly recommend this recording, especially if you aren't learning Carmina Burana and you just want to listen to it. It has definitely carved out it's own niche in the world of great performances.
on May 9, 2001
These are great musicians, folks. And this is really a fantastic performance. The much touted Previn recording doesn't begin to compare, in my opinion. Just listen to Previn in "O Fortuna". It's too slow, for starters, and there's some rythmic instability in the climax in the second part that is really disconcerting. The Jochum, on the other hand, is right on the money; everything happens exactly when it should. Fischer-Dieskau is so good (as he always seems to be; does anyone else need to do Schoene Mullerin after FD and Gerald Moore?; or the Mahler Wunderhorn songs?) it's just no contest.
on March 5, 2001
This is a truely amazing piece of music, and this recording captures all the magic of the piece.