5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!

3.0 out of 5 stars Victim of Super Hype
Published on May 21 2001 by southpaw68

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivered Fast!, Dec 15 2013
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
My Dad really wanted this CD for Christmas, but you can't find it in any stores. I chose the 3-8 business day shipping option, not wanting to pay $20 for shipping and handling, and I wasn't expecting it to arrive for at least a week at this time of year, so I was ecstatic when I received it the very next day! It had a small crack in the case, which is why I gave 4 stars, but hey, as long as the CD works fine I'm not too picky about the case :) Great service :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Nov. 26 2013
Original record - old cover yet very good condition. Still had the stickers on
Classic album and classic artist - 5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough of those tight jeans, Jan. 31 2013
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
Born in the USA is one of Springsteen's most iconic and classic albums ever. I can't believe I didn't own it sooner. Definitely one of my favorites! Love every single song on this album and can listen to it over and over. The cover also contributes to my love for this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars rebel with a cause.................?, Dec 7 2005
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
probably my second fave bruce album, equally with "tunnel of love"
fave tracks "cover me" - "whole world is out there, just tryin' to score, i seen enough, don't wanna see anymore......." - says it all.
i've always been a springsteen fan, aside from a teenage crush on him, which lasted a good few years beyond that!
i love his songs for their gritty & honest lyrics, being unafraid to tackle real gutsy subjects, with a fierce gusto and passion.
back to the songs....
the title track, i love less, for it's political statements, which i don't necessarily agree with.....
"dancing in the dark" of course, bruce getting into dance, with funky keyboards, this song somehow has some similarity with stevie nicks foray into this area, with "stand back" (they somehow have a similar sound-?)
"downbownd train" typical bruce, singing about the loser......
"i'm going down" is a real good big boss rock track.
"i'm on fire" again, a real passionate track, romantic & gutsy, classic springsteen.
love 'im!

2.0 out of 5 stars I see why he blew off E Street..., June 10 2003
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
Thia album gives the US a bad name... Oh, sure, it has decent tracks like "Dancing in the Dark, "No Surrender", "Downbound Train" but after that the quality is lame. Check below.
Born in the USA- Sounds like a street band saying "Born in the USA" 10 too many times. The backing vocals are lame, the piano and the CONTINUED reference to Vietnam are stupid. The tune is unforgettable, which could be good or bad. 3/10
Cover Me- A 50's style (hate it) just plain lame track with little quality. Don't waste your time. 2/10
Darlington County- Bruce talks about old road trips with nothing but $200 and rock and roll. Dispite (here I am using big boy words) the good feel, this song really talks about nothing. 3rd song with no guitars. 3/10
Working on a Highway- Better song about the good old days working on the highway, 3rd song about actually living in the US (CM doesn't) 6/10
Downbound Train- 1st good song on the album about having it all, losing it all, trying to get it all back, losing it all again, haunting. 10/10
Im on Fire- Embarrasing song, 5th about the USA. Don't make me say anymore. 1/10
No Surrender- Sounds like it's from Grease. Good feeling about being a rebel in class, robbing banks, and life. 10/10
Bobby Jean- Better love song about rebels in love (sick). What is Bruce thinking? Maybe they let him and the other convicts look at their photo albums in prison. 4/10
I'm Going Down- See above but opposite. 5/10
Glory Days- Now this is what I'm talking about! Bar song about ... glory days. 7/10
Dancing in the Dark- Best song on this album. I can't describe it, it's cacthy... other stuff, too. 10/10
My Hometown- Along with BITUSA, GD, DITD, I think this was a single. 9th or 10th song about the USA (good) Haunting song, only slow one. 10/10
DITD, DD, MH, NS get a 10. They get the 2. If Born in the USA was good, I'd give it a 3. GD is a decnt track, with a couple others (IGD, BJ, WOTH) and some bad ones (BITUSA, DC, CM, IMF)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pandering to the Cheap Seats, Jan. 31 2003
the dirty mac "boot64" (Nutopian Global Institute) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
Subtlety was never Springsteen's strong suit, but this is too much. With all of his excesses on display, here we have Bruce playing to the riff-raff. Whatever its message might be, the title track "Born in the USA" might be the most unlistenable hit song ever released by a respected recording artist. The entire song is just a sequence of six musical notes repeated ad nauseum, even through the refrain, and the ear-splitting production might trigger seizures in some people. ... "Glory Days" is a similar musical and production atrocity, with Max Weinberg sounding like he's playing garbage cans instead of drums. "Darlington County" is a slightly more elaborate variation of this formula. "I'm Going Down" probably has Bruce setting a world record of some sort for repeating the same word over and over and over. It makes me bored, bored, bored. "Dancing in the Dark," "I'm On Fire," and "Bobby Jean" narrowly rescue this album from a one-star rating. The rest of this crowd-pleasing schlock needs to be locked away in the fetid arena rock sub-basement occupied by the likes of Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon.
No one feels an audience's pain like Bruce does, no question about that. But he rarely transcends it. All he does is wallow in it. After cringing through the mawkish sentiment of "My Home Town," I finally had to put on John Lennon's PLASTIC ONO BAND just to lighten the mood a bit. This is the album that alienated me from Springsteen once and for all. When it comes to '80s pop, gimme the Go-Go's any day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and Clumsy Lyrics, Nov. 8 2002
Dhaval Vyas (Dallastown, PA U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
'Born in the U.S.A.' is proabably the boss' most famous album, but I don't think most people take the time to listen to the lyrics. If the listeners did, they would realize how clumsy and confusing the songs are. To begin with, most people have confused the title track as some kind of patriotic song. It is not, but it is still NOT a good song. What exactly is Bruce talking about when he sings, "Come back home to the refinery. Hiring man says, 'son if it was up to me.' Went down to the VA man. He said, 'son, don't you understand".
I don't know about you, but these lyrics are so vague and confusing, it seems like Bruce is trying to just fill up time. The chorus of the song, "Born in the U.S.A." is more legendary than the "meaning" of the song. But what exactly is Springsteen trying to say? The story, in many ways, has nothing to do with the U.S.A., but with one person. This guy is a nobody, goes to war, comes back, and somehow ends up in jail. What is the moral or lesson learned here? What is Bruce trying to say about anything? To me, the song seems like A LOT of smoke but no fire. Nonetheless, two stars go the the awesome song "I'm on fire".

3.0 out of 5 stars Victim of Super Hype, May 21 2001
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
Critic and biographer of Springsteen, Dave Marsh, was really nuts about this guy along with myriads of other critics in the eighties. I always wondered why. I guess it's because he was an energetic give-it-all-you-got performer, all-round nice guy with a red meat, blue-collar mystique ala Elvis, even though he never really worked at a real blue-collar job, but just grew up in a working class neighborhood. He seems halfway sincere and halfway a poser. I simply view him as someone that has written some good songs along with a lot of bad ones. Springsteen is a great lyricist, I could imagine him as a good writer, but I think he would have been better off getting Little Steven or Southside Johnny to help create the music because doesn't really have good sense of melody a lot of the time. He can't really sing. He can't really play guitar well compared to, say, Jimmy Page or Lindsay Buckingham. That Dave Marsh thinks he a great guitarist is really laughable. This album has 2 really good songs, the moody Downbound Train and I'm on Fire with its desperate lyrics, boom chicka boom drums, and haunting guitar arpeggios. The rest is just generally solid three chord meat-and-potatoes Jersey Rock served up with minimal pizzazz. And yes, I agree with other dissing reviewers that the Born in the Usa song has a keyboard riff that a three-year-old could handle, but it's a little annoying to listen to after awhile, even with all the pent-up passion of Springsteen's loud vocals and Max Weinberg's manic drum pounding. And yes, he sings "I'm going down" too many friggin' times. Discriminating listeners should really turn to Tunnel of Love if you want to hear a truly good Springsteen album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't aged well., July 28 1999
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
I liked this went it first came out, but after all these years it really hasn't aged well to me. The production is too slick and popish. His overall sound doesn't do much of anything for me anymore. A legendary performer whose music will always be stuck in this era.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetition, June 30 1999
This review is from: Born In The U.S.A. (Audio CD)
I recently heard the song "I'm Goin' Down" on the radio and did something I've always been meaning to do. I counted the number of times Bruce Springsteen sings the word "down." Quite honestly I lost count at 70 - this in a pop songs not much longer than 3:00. Gee, how profound, how moving, HOW REPETITIVE.
Others have complained at how repetitious the title song to this album is. They are right. But lets us not spare "I'm Goin' Down" from the same scrutiny.

Born In The U.S.A.
Born In The U.S.A. by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 1990)