Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

Born In The U.S.A.
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on June 10, 2003
Thia album gives the US a bad name... Oh, sure, it has decent tracks like "Dancing in the Dark, "No Surrender", "Downbound Train" but after that the quality is lame. Check below.
Born in the USA- Sounds like a street band saying "Born in the USA" 10 too many times. The backing vocals are lame, the piano and the CONTINUED reference to Vietnam are stupid. The tune is unforgettable, which could be good or bad. 3/10
Cover Me- A 50's style (hate it) just plain lame track with little quality. Don't waste your time. 2/10
Darlington County- Bruce talks about old road trips with nothing but $200 and rock and roll. Dispite (here I am using big boy words) the good feel, this song really talks about nothing. 3rd song with no guitars. 3/10
Working on a Highway- Better song about the good old days working on the highway, 3rd song about actually living in the US (CM doesn't) 6/10
Downbound Train- 1st good song on the album about having it all, losing it all, trying to get it all back, losing it all again, haunting. 10/10
Im on Fire- Embarrasing song, 5th about the USA. Don't make me say anymore. 1/10
No Surrender- Sounds like it's from Grease. Good feeling about being a rebel in class, robbing banks, and life. 10/10
Bobby Jean- Better love song about rebels in love (sick). What is Bruce thinking? Maybe they let him and the other convicts look at their photo albums in prison. 4/10
I'm Going Down- See above but opposite. 5/10
Glory Days- Now this is what I'm talking about! Bar song about ... glory days. 7/10
Dancing in the Dark- Best song on this album. I can't describe it, it's cacthy... other stuff, too. 10/10
My Hometown- Along with BITUSA, GD, DITD, I think this was a single. 9th or 10th song about the USA (good) Haunting song, only slow one. 10/10
DITD, DD, MH, NS get a 10. They get the 2. If Born in the USA was good, I'd give it a 3. GD is a decnt track, with a couple others (IGD, BJ, WOTH) and some bad ones (BITUSA, DC, CM, IMF)
on January 31, 2003
Subtlety was never Springsteen's strong suit, but this is too much. With all of his excesses on display, here we have Bruce playing to the riff-raff. Whatever its message might be, the title track "Born in the USA" might be the most unlistenable hit song ever released by a respected recording artist. The entire song is just a sequence of six musical notes repeated ad nauseum, even through the refrain, and the ear-splitting production might trigger seizures in some people. ... "Glory Days" is a similar musical and production atrocity, with Max Weinberg sounding like he's playing garbage cans instead of drums. "Darlington County" is a slightly more elaborate variation of this formula. "I'm Going Down" probably has Bruce setting a world record of some sort for repeating the same word over and over and over. It makes me bored, bored, bored. "Dancing in the Dark," "I'm On Fire," and "Bobby Jean" narrowly rescue this album from a one-star rating. The rest of this crowd-pleasing schlock needs to be locked away in the fetid arena rock sub-basement occupied by the likes of Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon.
No one feels an audience's pain like Bruce does, no question about that. But he rarely transcends it. All he does is wallow in it. After cringing through the mawkish sentiment of "My Home Town," I finally had to put on John Lennon's PLASTIC ONO BAND just to lighten the mood a bit. This is the album that alienated me from Springsteen once and for all. When it comes to '80s pop, gimme the Go-Go's any day.
on November 8, 2002
'Born in the U.S.A.' is proabably the boss' most famous album, but I don't think most people take the time to listen to the lyrics. If the listeners did, they would realize how clumsy and confusing the songs are. To begin with, most people have confused the title track as some kind of patriotic song. It is not, but it is still NOT a good song. What exactly is Bruce talking about when he sings, "Come back home to the refinery. Hiring man says, 'son if it was up to me.' Went down to the VA man. He said, 'son, don't you understand".
I don't know about you, but these lyrics are so vague and confusing, it seems like Bruce is trying to just fill up time. The chorus of the song, "Born in the U.S.A." is more legendary than the "meaning" of the song. But what exactly is Springsteen trying to say? The story, in many ways, has nothing to do with the U.S.A., but with one person. This guy is a nobody, goes to war, comes back, and somehow ends up in jail. What is the moral or lesson learned here? What is Bruce trying to say about anything? To me, the song seems like A LOT of smoke but no fire. Nonetheless, two stars go the the awesome song "I'm on fire".
on June 2, 1999
This is by far the worst Springsteen I've heard. In fact, this was the first Springsteen I ever heard, and I hated the name until someone got me listening to his seventies stuff. The whole album's commercial pop. "Glory Days" ranks among the worst compositions by Bruce, and even though "U.S.A." has great lyrics, if you lived through the hype of this album in the 80s, the song really turns your stomach. "I'm on Fire" and "My Hometown" make the album. If you really want this one, your'e better off purchasing the cassette and not the CD. This one don't quite make it to a Worthy CD status. Your'e better off, in the 80s at least, with getting "Tunnel of Love". Now THAT is an album!
on July 28, 1999
I liked this went it first came out, but after all these years it really hasn't aged well to me. The production is too slick and popish. His overall sound doesn't do much of anything for me anymore. A legendary performer whose music will always be stuck in this era.
on December 10, 2014