5.0 out of 5 stars Great vocal range
Has the vocal range most singers dream about. Great cd loved it. Will not get tired of playing it around Christmas time again and again.
Published 7 months ago by Tricia

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Mariah
Published on Oct. 7 2002 by Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Mariah, Oct. 7 2002
Peter (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This is a pretty good Christmas cd IF, and only IF you like Mariah Carey. Her ear-piercing version of Oh Holy Night is one of the worst i've heard ever. Her vocal gymnastics are not suited to traditional-style Christmas music. The up-tempo pop Christmas songs she does are good, but otherwise i think she should stick to her own material. Not every artist is suited to doing traditional religious Christmas songs. Celine Dion is another one guilty of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Mariah!, Jan. 10 2014
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
What's not to like! She's soo talented! Bought this and the NSync Home for Christmas and enjoyed listening to both over the holidays. Great additions to my Christmas collection! Looking to get Boney M next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vocal range, Dec 18 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Christmas Album, Nov. 20 2013
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This Is The Greatest Xmas Album That I have had the pleasure of hearing. Words cannott describe how epic this xmas album is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Merry Christmas, Dec 23 2012
jordan brookes (Norquay Sask. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I had this years ago on cassette, I guess just being older it does not mean as much to me as it did,
It is still a nice Christmas cd. Mariah's voice is incredible and if you have been following her career it is a must have

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasantly old-fashioned Christmas album., Nov. 25 2006
Louis (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Before Mariah Carey turned to R&B, she was primarily known as a pop artist with a huge voice. It's a good thing that she recorded this album at a time where her vocal range was its top - after all, many Christmas carols feature the most wonderful melodies of our times, and she was in total control of her amazing pipes when "Merry Christmas" was recorded. The result is a pleasantly old-fashioned Christmas album, mixing the secular with the religious and covering all the bases of seasonal music.

This album most notably features "All I want for Christmas is you", a Phil-Spector-like tune co-written by Mariah that just keeps growing bigger with each listen; it's probably the closest we've ever come to getting a new Christmas classic in the last 20 years and features Mariah at her most flexible, starting the song at the very bottom of her range and working her way to the top by the song's rousing finale. This song is exhilarating, instantly memorable and very joyful - if it doesn't bring a smile to your face, it means you're already dead !

The rest of the album is pretty good as well, although it probably won't change the minds of those who do not enjoy Mariah Carey's vocal style. Especially worth noticing are the other two originals songs on the album; "Jesus born on this day" is an appropriate reminder of what Christmas is all about; "Miss you most at Christmas time" is an extremely poignant and emotional song that features one of her most expressive vocals ever, and it will especially ring a bell with all of those who are celebrating Christmas after the loss of a loved one. The classic "Hark the herald angels sing" is breath-taking, "Silent night" and "O holy night" are tailor-made showstoppers for Mariah, and "Joy to the world" is given an all-out disco treatment that makes it irresistibly joyous. In fact, the only lesser moments are "Santa Claus is coming time" and "Christmas (baby please come home)", both of which follow the bluepring of "All I want for Christmas is you" a bit too closely. By the time the album closes with the gospel-infused "Jesus O what a wonderful child", you'll find yourself happy that you bought this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love Christmas music :), Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
LOVE this album, especially track 2! Brings the magic of Christmas in with it when it plays throughout the house! Would recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah at Her Absolute Best!, Nov. 23 2011
L. Woodcock "Golden' Oldie" (Oshawa, ON. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
[[ASIN:B000002bA46 Merry Christmas]]I just recently purchased this CD by Mariah Carey,,,Merry Christmas...This CD is absolutely marvelous...Mariah is at her ultimate best. She has blended the old traditional Christmas Carols with some of the more modern and upbeat Christmas Songs...To say the very least, in my humble opinion, Mariah is still one of the top 7 Female vocalists in the world today and I can't see that changing anytime soon...There is nothing that she sings that doesn't put a smile on your face and gets you singing along with her...This Christmas Album is her heart and soul of the Holiday Season, and you have to hear her perform "O Holy Night", makes you feel so good and seems to literally brighten your soul. Simply "DIVINE"...I'm just sorry I didn't purchase this delightful CD long before I did...That won't happen again...Mariah, I and my Wife absolutely love it...Thank you once again for sharing and providing us with that beautiful God-Given-Talent that you so share with the world...THANK-YOU,,,THANK-YOU,,,THANK-YOU...Your music has put me right in the "CHRISTMAS SPIRIT"...

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Christmas CD, Dec 7 2007
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Every Christmas I play this album and love it all over again. I enjoy singing along to it while I drive. My favourite is "O Holy Night" where she sings so beautifully and causes goosebumps. I usually have this song on repeat. My second favourite is "Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child" where she sings with a gospel choir and they sound so great together. Who knew Mariah could do gospel?! Basically the singing of both the traditional Christmas songs and the non-traditional ones is outstanding. I like the way she adds her unique singing style to the songs. This is a great Christmas album.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely wonderful Christmas album, July 5 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Few commercial Christmas albums really appeal to me - too many of them mangle the traditional classics I love, especially the hymns, with all sorts of fancy modern sounds that ring hollow to my ears, and, loving the traditional songs so much, few modern Christmas tunes manage to win me over. Long after its release, though, Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas CD remains a perennial Christmas favorite of mine. Mariah's vocal talent puts her head and shoulders above every female vocalist out there, and she injects true feeling and spirit into every song she sings. On this album, she combines the new with the old, making this a Christmas CD that almost everyone can love.

Like many, I was drawn to this CD after hearing the song All I Want For Christmas Is You; I believe it's the best secular Christmas song since Elvis' Blue Christmas. I had to buy the album for this one song alone, but I was also very anxious to hear what Mariah would do with traditional hymns such as Oh Holy Night - my pick for the greatest Christmas song ever written. Many a soprano shies away from truly hitting the high notes at the end of Oh Holy Night, and given Mariah's vocal range, I felt confident she would do the song justice. I was right, as this is one of the best versions of Oh Holy Night I've ever heard. Mariah's voice is equally angelic on Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and a properly subdued Silent Night. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child is a song I was less familiar with, but it makes for a stunning conclusion to an album that does pay real heed to the reason for the season.

Besides All I Want For Christmas Is You, Mariah co-wrote two other songs on the album: Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) and Jesus Born on This Day. The latter is an especially beautiful song that expresses the true meaning of Christmas. She also throws in an exceedingly fun version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (and, thankfully, I can now think of Mariah rather than Bruce Springsteen whenever I hear this song). The perfect complement to All I Want For Christmas Is You, though, is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).

Put it all together and you have a true modern Christmas classic featuring a wonderful mix of religious and secular songs that radiate both the fun as well as the serious aspects of the Christmas season. Anyone who loves Christmas - and Christmas music in particular - really should make this CD an annual part of his/her holiday celebration.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2000)