5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasantly old-fashioned Christmas album.
Published on Nov. 25 2006 by Louis

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Mariah
Published on Oct. 7 2002 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasantly old-fashioned Christmas album., Nov. 25 2006
Louis (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Before Mariah Carey turned to R&B, she was primarily known as a pop artist with a huge voice. It's a good thing that she recorded this album at a time where her vocal range was its top - after all, many Christmas carols feature the most wonderful melodies of our times, and she was in total control of her amazing pipes when "Merry Christmas" was recorded. The result is a pleasantly old-fashioned Christmas album, mixing the secular with the religious and covering all the bases of seasonal music.

This album most notably features "All I want for Christmas is you", a Phil-Spector-like tune co-written by Mariah that just keeps growing bigger with each listen; it's probably the closest we've ever come to getting a new Christmas classic in the last 20 years and features Mariah at her most flexible, starting the song at the very bottom of her range and working her way to the top by the song's rousing finale. This song is exhilarating, instantly memorable and very joyful - if it doesn't bring a smile to your face, it means you're already dead !

The rest of the album is pretty good as well, although it probably won't change the minds of those who do not enjoy Mariah Carey's vocal style. Especially worth noticing are the other two originals songs on the album; "Jesus born on this day" is an appropriate reminder of what Christmas is all about; "Miss you most at Christmas time" is an extremely poignant and emotional song that features one of her most expressive vocals ever, and it will especially ring a bell with all of those who are celebrating Christmas after the loss of a loved one. The classic "Hark the herald angels sing" is breath-taking, "Silent night" and "O holy night" are tailor-made showstoppers for Mariah, and "Joy to the world" is given an all-out disco treatment that makes it irresistibly joyous. In fact, the only lesser moments are "Santa Claus is coming time" and "Christmas (baby please come home)", both of which follow the bluepring of "All I want for Christmas is you" a bit too closely. By the time the album closes with the gospel-infused "Jesus O what a wonderful child", you'll find yourself happy that you bought this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Mariah, Oct. 7 2002
Peter (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This is a pretty good Christmas cd IF, and only IF you like Mariah Carey. Her ear-piercing version of Oh Holy Night is one of the worst i've heard ever. Her vocal gymnastics are not suited to traditional-style Christmas music. The up-tempo pop Christmas songs she does are good, but otherwise i think she should stick to her own material. Not every artist is suited to doing traditional religious Christmas songs. Celine Dion is another one guilty of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely wonderful Christmas album, July 4 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Few commercial Christmas albums really appeal to me - too many of them mangle the traditional classics I love, especially the hymns, with all sorts of fancy modern sounds that ring hollow to my ears, and, loving the traditional songs so much, few modern Christmas tunes manage to win me over. Long after its release, though, Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas CD remains a perennial Christmas favorite of mine. Mariah's vocal talent puts her head and shoulders above every female vocalist out there, and she injects true feeling and spirit into every song she sings. On this album, she combines the new with the old, making this a Christmas CD that almost everyone can love.

Like many, I was drawn to this CD after hearing the song All I Want For Christmas Is You; I believe it's the best secular Christmas song since Elvis' Blue Christmas. I had to buy the album for this one song alone, but I was also very anxious to hear what Mariah would do with traditional hymns such as Oh Holy Night - my pick for the greatest Christmas song ever written. Many a soprano shies away from truly hitting the high notes at the end of Oh Holy Night, and given Mariah's vocal range, I felt confident she would do the song justice. I was right, as this is one of the best versions of Oh Holy Night I've ever heard. Mariah's voice is equally angelic on Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and a properly subdued Silent Night. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child is a song I was less familiar with, but it makes for a stunning conclusion to an album that does pay real heed to the reason for the season.

Besides All I Want For Christmas Is You, Mariah co-wrote two other songs on the album: Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) and Jesus Born on This Day. The latter is an especially beautiful song that expresses the true meaning of Christmas. She also throws in an exceedingly fun version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (and, thankfully, I can now think of Mariah rather than Bruce Springsteen whenever I hear this song). The perfect complement to All I Want For Christmas Is You, though, is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).

Put it all together and you have a true modern Christmas classic featuring a wonderful mix of religious and secular songs that radiate both the fun as well as the serious aspects of the Christmas season. Anyone who loves Christmas - and Christmas music in particular - really should make this CD an annual part of his/her holiday celebration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo to the Spirit Here!, Dec 22 2003
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
"Merry Christmas" has something for everyone. I highly recommend it. What makes me play this cd every year besides the amazing production, instrumentation and background vocals of the Price sisters, Kelly and Shanrae; and Melonie Daniels is Mariah's rendition of "O Holy Night." It's my all-time favorite Christmas song and Mariah interprets it with such passion, spirit and heart that it overwhelms me every time, humbling me to want to (and often do) fall on my knees as I remember Jesus' humble birth and great Love and sacrifice for me. Every single person named inside this cd or that had Anything at all to do with this album I sincerely thank you with my whole heart. This cd will be with me forever and it is obvious this is a group effort. Bravo to you all!

I love all of the religious songs best on this album: (however, all the songs are great!)
* SILENT NIGHT--perfect opening, with whispy vocals and lots of trills of Mariah that are her trademark to me. No other vocalist has ever impressed me as much as Mariah does with this feature of her singing.
* O HOLY NIGHT--what can I say? Perfect in every way!
* JOY TO THE WORLD--Woo Hoo! THIS IS JOY! ^_^ I believe Heaven and Nature IS singing along with this song! Perfect ad infinitum.
* JESUS BORN ON THIS DAY--backed by a precious children's choir. Splendid keyboards, orchestral programming and digital and synth. It's all these intricate details that make this cd spectacular!
* HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SINGS/GLORIA (In Excelsis Deo)--What can I say? The highest praise which must be heard and approved of by the Angels on High!
* JESUS, OH WHAT A WONDERFUL CHILD--what a perfect ending! Ties it all together. Leaves me breathless!
I believe this to be her Greatest Musical Effort and I sincerely appreciate and am touched to the core by everyone's spirit and outpouring of their heart's love for God! May MERRY CHRISTMAS encourage and edify you as you remember Christ the King and the love of your family and friends, His gifts to you. May your cup overflow with The Joy that only He gives this Christmas and throughout the New Year. Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you...
Soar!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DIVA shows how it's done, Dec 2 2003
Y. Sloan Standridge (Glenn Heights, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Mariah Carey's "Merry Christmas" album is everything it's cracked up to be! This cd delivers 10 amazing tracks from the living legend. Her voice catapults you into a heavenly soprano stratosphere (i.e. Silent Night) and warms you with her rich alto rendition of O Holy Night.
Mariah penned three songs on this album, two of which have already been covered! "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is already deemed a classic amongst society and will most definately carry on through the years, and her beautiful gospel song "Jesus, Born On This Day" has been covered by Christian Music group Avalon.
You may debate whether to pick this one up or Whitney Houston's "One Wish" but let me tell you. Whitney's cd feels like something's missing to me. While she struggles to hit the notes in some songs (i.e. the ending of her rendition of O Holy Night), Mariah freely soars at the ending, leaving chills down your spine. Not to mention, Mariah worked very hard on this project, producing all 10 songs, writing 3 of them. This cd is more intimate and personal than Whitneys. It wasn't made to accept Mariah back into society, it was made to enjoy the warmth of Christmas.
Sure, Mariah has had her hard times, but her faith in Jesus has pulled her through and get ready for her next album! She has been working really hard and her voice has never sounded as powerful! I know, I've been to a concert recently! Thank you Mariah! You ARE THE DIVA!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Really Delighted Me & Put Me In That "Holiday" Mood!!!!, Nov. 20 2003
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
WOW!! I got this last Christmas from "Santa Clause" and I don't care how long ago it came out, it is an excellent album and weather you are a die-hard fan, just a fan, or not a fan, you will enjoy this album and be 100% proud you bought it or put it on your Christmas list!
I love all tracks. She made the traditional songs better than they already are and produced, wrote, and composed 3 tracks! She is a true diva and an icon to the world, and this is a huge example why!
I give this album wayyyyyyy more than 5 stars and would encourage you all to put it on your list, or buy it! This is a classic CD! All songs are 100% & up!!

If you enjoy this classic, you may want to buy "My Kind Of Christmas" by Christina Aguilera. "Now, Thats What I Call Christmas" volumes 1 & 2 by various artists. "Another Rosie Christmas" by various artists. "Sweet Kisses" by Jessica Simpson.

Enjoy and take my advice!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Album You Can Buy, Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This album is one of Mariah's best collection of songs. It's veiled as a Christmas album yet features some of her best vocal performances. This came out in '94 at the heighth of Mariah's career. She was coming off of the "Music Box" album which was the biggest of her career. It consists of classic Christmas carols (Silent Night, O Holy Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing) and Mariah originals (All I Want For Christmas Is You, Miss You Most, Jesus Born On this Day.) "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is classic Mariah carey. Upbeat, light-hearted, and fun, this is the kinda song you blast. It ranks right up there with "Dreamlover" and "Fantasy." One listen to "O Holy Night" leaves you dumbfounded. Mariah puts so much emotion into the song and I love the high note at the most dramatic part of the song. No one has EVER sang this song better. "Miss You Most" is a beautiful ballad. "Jesus, O what A wonderful Child" will make you feel like you're in a Baptist church. This song proves what an incredible gospel singer Mariah can be.
Strip Mariah of her image, her sexy clothes, and numerous pop/ R&B hits and this album showcases two important things. Mariah can sing like no other and has a strong grasp on her faith. This si the best holiday album money can buy. Whether you like mariah or not, there's no denying this album and all it stands for.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best recorded Xmas CD's, Aug. 15 2003
Carol (Dumfries, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This CD is nothing short of exquisite! I find myself listening to it even when its not Xmas time just for some spiritual inspiration. My favorite song is 'O'Holy Night' which is truly one of the most beautifully sung renditions I've ever heard (she does her supernatural high note at the very end) I also loved 'Joy to the World', and 'Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child' which is amazing if you're into gospel. I continue to root and support Mariah because of her talented singing and songwriting ability. Its unfortunate that many of her fickle US fans have seemingly turned their back on her not to mention radio, and the music industy as a whole. Mariah Carey deserves a lot more respect than these overexposed, marginally talented, pop tarts that are getting a lot more respect despite being only 1/10th as talented. Its disappointing, to say the least, that her career isn't what it once was. I rarely hear her songs on the radio anymore, or read anything positive about her (she's gotten a little better press lately). I feel, like there's been a collective front to try to destroy her career and ever since she left Columbia Records she doesn't seem to get any airplay for new material. Perhaps the material needs to be better (I didn't purchase Charmbracelet due to lack of interest) at any rate this is CD is totally worth purchasing even if its just to have a soulful collection of Xmas classics. I also recommend the Glitter CD which was surprisingly excellent! SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AND GO TO HER CONCERTS THIS SUMMER! WAKE UP EVERYONE, SHE WORKS SO HARD PARTLY TO PLEASE US, HER FANS, SO DON'T DISAPPOINT HER!! Keep ya head up Mariah!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday Pop., June 5 2003
Josh Andrews (El Paso, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
With the 1994 release Merry Christmas, Mariah wows us with the sound of holiday and pop. Featuring the hits "All I Want For Christmas Is You", "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", and "Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)", Mariah delivers a classic. While other Christmas version CDs wouldn't grab much attention, Mariah's voice and the sound of Pop in these Christmas song remakes make this album a winner.
1. Silent Night - (4/5) - A more religous sound approach, but Mariah doesn't go all out.
2. All I Want For Christmas Is You - (5/5) - A fun, holiday pop song that can lighten anyone's mood. Really upbeat.
3. O Holy Night - (5/5) - Mariah makes this song beautiful the way she delivers it. (This song sort of sounds like her upcoming release "Forever").
4. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - (5/5) - A semi-upbeat song, taking a more classical approach.
5. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) - (5/5) - This is my favorite song on this album. This is a sad, very emotional ballad that only Mariah could deliver.
6. Joy To The World - (5/5) - A true, upbeat gospel version of the song.
7. Jesus Born on This Day - (5/5) - Another beautiful song, and it gets even better with the choir of children.
8. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town - (5/5) - A very upbeat cover of the classical song. The sister song of "All I Want For Christmas Is You".
9. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing/Gloria (In Excelsis Deo) - (5/5) - A beautiful, more classical approach of the song. This song is done beautifully by Mariah and the choir.
10. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child - (5/5) - A gospel/classical/very poppy song. This song is nicely done by Mariah.
This is one truely great Christmas album - I recommend Merry Christmas to any lover of great Christmas music.

5.0 out of 5 stars deserves every piece of these 5 stars, April 17 2003
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Wow. At times that's all I can say when I listen to Mariah's Christmas CD. Hands down, this is her VERY best work, no questions asked. She simply doesn't get any better than she does right here, with this album. The beautiful singing here is absolutely incredible, and it's not hard to see why this is one of the best selling holiday CD's out there. Yes, I'm sure we can all admit that Mariah has had a harder time recently with her career, but when you go back and listen to stuff like this from her earlier days, you walk away spellbound at what an amazing voice she truly does have.
The only track on this CD that I don't care for much is "Miss You Most at Christmastime"; I usually skip that one. Aside from that one interruption, I can always put in this CD and listen to it from beginning to end, and love every minute of it. This is the only CD I can do that with, honestly. "Oh Holy Night" is, to me, a standout on the entire album (it really gives you the chills), but there are some other winners on here: "All I Want For Christmas Is You," "Jesus Born on This Day" (my second favorite), "Joy to the World," "Silent Night," and a whole string of other classic holiday carols that, as another reviewer commented, were made completely Mariah's own. She chose songs that are perfect for her singing style, and she really touches on your spiritual side here. Being a Christian myself, I am uplifted every time I listen, without fail. Mariah uses this album to sing her heart out on some of the most beautiful Christmas songs ever known, plus she even writes and performs 3 of her own. It is wonderful music bursting with the holiday spirit everyone loves.
If you're any kind of Mariah fan at all, you need to have this album. If you only buy one CD of hers in your entire life, this is most likely the best choice you could possibly make. No penny could possibly be poorly spent on a CD like this. If you're like me you'll be tempted to listen to it all year long, even though it's the magical season of Christmas that truly makes it the magical and miraculous piece of work that it is. As corny as it may sound, this is the type of music that will honestly lift you up all through the holiday season; it is highly recommended.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2000)