5.0 out of 5 stars This "Flood" is a good thing!
There are a lot of reviews here already, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Wonderful, catchy, pop songs for people who don't think they like pop! And one last word: FUN! Go get it-NOW!
Published on June 22 2004 by J. Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars More funny than good
They Might Be Giants' Flood album is very weird. I don't know if they tried to make good music that would get played on the radio, or annoying music that gets stuck in people's heads if it is whistled. Songs like Particle Man and Istanbul (Not Constantinople) are very funny because they're so dumb, and it makes you wonder what They Might Be Giants were aiming for.
Published on Feb. 16 2002 by Angela M. Healey

5.0 out of 5 stars This "Flood" is a good thing!, June 22 2004
J. Sweeney (manchester, mo) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not their best, June 7 2004
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
Debate has waged on in the TMBG camp for ages about the quality of this album. One side (the Floodies) maintain that Flood is the best album that TMBG ever did, while the other point out the album's unevenness and make the case for the album being among their worst. The debate is never going to end, of course, but I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
When Flood is good, it's very good. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" deserves mention by itself, a wonderfully beautiful instant classic that proved what the two Johns could do with a major label recording budget. "Dead" is wonderful in its bizareness, "Twisting" takes on the tale of a psychotic ex and her quest to destroy her former loved one, and "We Want a Rock" is a brilliant piece of nonsense, just to note a few of the great tracks scattered across the album.
However, the album also has its downsides. The criminally overrated "Particle Man" is nothing more than nonsensical fluff (despite having nostalgia value for being on Tiny Toons and its instant novelty appeal), "Hearing Aid" is a bad idea that starts nowhere and ends nowhere, and "Your Racist Friend," while somewhat fun, is also overtly preachy.
Flood still rates among their better releases, and that's largely due to the sheer charisma and energy put into the songs. The group had a large budget to work with now, and they were going to use it in any way possible, ending up with a batch of experiments that either failed miserably (the afformentioned "Hearing Aid"), worked wonderfully (the group's sublimely bizarre theme song of sorts, "They Might Be Giants"), or fell somewhere in between ("Letterbox" is at turns interesting and frustrating). This experimentation, however, is key to what makes Flood such a hard album to categorize, even now, and is part of the album's appeal.
Flood might not be as good as the group's first two releases, but it does make a nice introduction to the group along with Apollo 18.

5.0 out of 5 stars Particle Man made me buy this album, June 2 2004
Paul Davey (Lancaster, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
But I love the rest of it just as much. I saw an online video of that song, and it was so hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing. That was a few years ago. A few weeks ago I picked up the album on a whim and Particle Man was there. That introduced me to TMBG for good, and I've since collected all the other albums. This is the best starting point for a new TMBG fan indeed. Birhouse in Your Soul is so catchy you can't help but sing along with it. Istanbul (not Constantinople) is another great tune.
But I think the best tracks are the wierder ones. Hearing Aid, a lot of people don't like, but I think it's great, epecially when they sing "Because, because." Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Minimum Wage, Hot Cha, and Women and Men.
Get this album first, then go in order from the debut. It's a great set of music to listen to with your kids, too (but don't take my word for it, it's just what I've heard, but I imagine it's true.).

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for any They Might Be Giants fan, May 13 2004
Maq (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
This CD is possibly They Might Be Giants' most famous CD. It contains most of their famous songs and radio hits, including Particle Man and Birdhouse In Your Soul.
While it's not TMBG's best, it's a great album. It's also the one TMBG album that I'd say has the least "acquired taste" value, so it's perfect for a new fan.
1. Theme from Flood 3/5
18. They Might Be Giants 4/5
19. Road Movie to Berlin 3/5

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good one, April 11 2004
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
This is the first album of theirs I have heard.
It is the one that made me get into them.
It's the only one my dad can stand to listen to.
It isn't as good as the other albums, though.
It is worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review Haiku by Todd Marrone, Dec 15 2003
Todd Marrone "toddmarronedotcom" (Narberth, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Quirky, catchy fun,

BOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Your Typical Album., Nov. 19 2003
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (Sorento, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
They Might Be Giants are one of the most unappreciated and bizarre bands around. Their music doesn't fit into any genre. They have a dementia flavor, mixed in with a little bit of comedy, and a pinch of rock 'n roll and pop. I was first introduced to the band several years ago working on a children's radio show. One of their songs on this album "Particle Man" was on the WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO? cd and received many requests and a lot of airplay. Since then, I've grown more fond of the band, though none of their albums since then is as lighthearted as this one. My favorite songs on the ablum include:
"Birdhouse in Your Soul"
"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
"Particle Man"
"We Want a Rock"
"Someone Keeps Moving My Chair"
"Minimum Wage"
"Whistling in the Dark"
"Road Movie to Berlin"
The most famous song on the album is "Istanbul (Not Constantinople). "Minimum Wage" is basically an instrumental piece, but with a catchy flavor that captures the spirit of minimum wage workers. Overall, this is a great album to own especially if you're tired of the same old drivel. I play a couple songs on the internet radio show I host and people are always asking about it. A good album from a great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic TMBG, Oct. 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
This album is the classic album of the cult group TMBG. Every song is a toe tapping, jump around like a fool good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Top 10 albums, Sept. 16 2003
Bruce F. Webster "geek in a suit" (Parker, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
That's not to say that this is one of the 10 greatest albums ever produced. Instead, if I were banished to the archetypical desert island, this is one of the 10 albums I would take along, both to keep my spirits up and to sympathize with what would be occasional bouts of self-pity and perhaps madness. (Hey, didn't any of you see Tom Hanks in "Castaway"?) In this album, TMBG manage to be goofy without being stupid and edgy without being pretentious. No mean feat, that.
The irony is that I ran across this album because one of my daughters had left it behind after she went off to college. I ran across it a few years later, popped it in the CD player, and was hooked by the end of "Birdhouse." I have several other TMBG albums now, but this remains my favorite. ..bruce..

Flood
Flood by They Might Be Giants (Audio CD - 1990)