5.0 out of 5 stars Check out my fusion kits

3.0 out of 5 stars An average release from a MC that is capable of so much more
Published on Dec 11 2002 by Matthew

5.0 out of 5 stars Check out my fusion kits, June 21 2004
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
An absolute hip hop classic. His cousin Cube should have been half this tight on his birthday! Del is more than likely, the most underrated rapper of all time. I would say Dres, but he enjoyed commercial success with Black Sheep.Are either of these two EVER on anyone's greatest rapper list?(I.E. magazines or TV shows)I was, however, disappointed with "Both sides of the brain", (Del's follow up). But then again, after "No need for alarm", there was no place to go but down.......Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best... ever, Feb. 6 2004
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
I got this album back when it was first released, I was in high school at the time. Back then, most people had only heard Del's first full length release "I wish my brother George was here" popular for songs like "Mr Dobalina" and "Dr Bombay". What most people missed were the hidden gems included as B-sides to these songs when they were released as singles. Songs like "Burnt" and "Eye Examination" revealed a side of Del that strayed from the clowning funk style on the full length. Jazz samples took the place of funk and a much more advanced side of Del was breaking from his "I wish my brother..." mold. These B-sides paved the way for Del's "No Need for Alarm" Souls "93 til Infinity, and Casuals "Fear Itself". While all 3 of these albums are an important part of the Hieroglyphics collection, Del's "No Need for Alarm" is my favorite and still stands the test of time to this day.
Del's still going strong, Hieroglyphics rock on...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Marked Improvement, April 4 2003
Brian Seiler (Tomball, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
I'll be honest--I'm somewhat torn about "No Need for Alarm." Coming after his initial release ("I Wish My Brother George Was Here"), the album truly shines, as it is the first major studio release in which Del was free to pursue his own flow and style. When he's allowed to perform as he's capable, I can't think of another artist in the genre who can compare with Del's natural talents, and that performance is the strongest recommendation that I can give for the CD. Unfortunately, the subjects about which Del chose to rhyme on this collection are decidedly mundane and pedestrian, particularly in today's violence-infused market. While it's all well and good to go on about whack MCs, at this point it's just a little bit boring. That means that roughly half of this album is exceptionally redundant in subject matter, and it's not a subject that I'm particularly concerned with. There are breaks, of course (Wrongplace marks the first time I ever heard Del try to tell a story in his own flow, and it marks the beginning of his emergence as a great storyteller of hip hop), and the appearances made by the Hieroglyphics crew are excellent, but on the whole the unoriginality in theme leaves me somewhat unsatisfied. While I've found myself warming up to it more lately than I had before, I think that it still suffers when compared to classics like "Future Development." Great, and definitely worth buying, but if you could only have one Del CD, you can still do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic hip-hop, April 12 2000
mike (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
No Need for Alarm, Del's second album, remains his best to date (though I still haven't heard enough of his new disc, Both Sides of the Brain, to judge it...). Lyrically, he is unmatched, even today, and his flow is the most consistent of any MC out there. Though the beats on this album are certainly bumpin', it is Del's flow that takes center stage here. Released in '93, this album remains extremely relevant today, something that can be said of very few, if any, hip-hop albums. Del's style is unique and intelligent, Domino's production is tight and doesn't overpower the vocals, and the album's subject matter never drifts into gangsta posturing cliche: all Del's concerned with is rapping and showing off his skills. And I'm impressed. Check out Catch a Bad One, BooBoo Heads, Worldwide, No More Worries (feat. Hieroglyphics crew), Don't forget.... Whatever, they're all hip hop classics

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, July 13 2002
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
I've this album since '99 and have been listened it almost every day. I can't put it out of my CD-Player, cuz its too nice too put it out. This album contains that, what a classic, fat hip-hopcd should have contain. The lyrics of Del are really good and funky and also the beats are jazzy and really nice. It's a pity, that i didnt find this album earlier. But i know now, that i'll buy all his other albums. My favourite tracks are no more worries, boo booheads, worldwide and catch a bad one. I suggest everybody to buy this album, cuz its classic and one of the hottest hip-hop albums ever. This one should be in every CD-collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Grown Man's Selection, April 12 2000
"sugglife" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album at the age of 14, my mind wasn't quite expanded enough to appreciate it. I definitely thought the beat on "Catch A Bad One" was out of this world, but I really couldn't get into his crazy style, which was so different than the rap that I was into at the current time. Now, as a college freshman with an aspiration to be a signed hip-hop artist and a well trained ear for hip-hop, I rank Del as one of my favorite MC'z. This is an incredible album if you are looking for something new(7 years old actually) and thought-provoking. Some of the dopest stuff coming out West!

3.0 out of 5 stars An average release from a MC that is capable of so much more, Dec 11 2002
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
Del is one of the illest MCs to come along in years, however this is not anywhere near of what he is capable of producing. Of course Del comes with the lyrics, but as with so many other releases, the producton is what holds this album back. Deltron 3030 was such a great album because it perfectly blended Del's lyrics with equally great beats provided by the Automator. I would love to see another collaboration betweent these 2. I will continue to support Del and buy his music, and you should too, but this is not Del's best at all. I am yet to hear Del's latest release, hopefully it's up to his potential.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dell's aahight, Dec 17 1999
Myopic 3rd Eye (From the heartland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
I got it in '93 after listening to Catch a Bad One. At the time, Catch a bad one was the best lyrical hip hop joint I had heard. Overall the album is o.k. I immediately liked tracks 1,2,4 and 14. The cut with the Souls of Mischief grew on me after a while. Whether you buy it or not, you need to check out Catch a Bad One. If Dell would consistenly put out tracks like this, people would have to recognize his skills and give him some due. Of the music I have heard from Del, I wish my brother George was here is a better Album, but Catch a Bad One is Del's best track.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M LATE!!!!!, April 28 1999
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
I'm just now discovering this album in '99. I guess it was just over my head. But considering the current state of hip-hop, this is definitely one of the most clever and creative rap records I've ever heard. Some of it lags and I could do without a lot of the misogny, but Del is a helluva expressive MC. You can't sleep on that. I got into Del by being a Souls fan, and then getting his underground "Future Development" tape, which I think is even better than this. But this is still worth the loot. GET IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Need for Alarm, July 29 2003
This review is from: No Need for Alarm (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Del's work. I've heard a large portion of his material, and this stands as one of my favorite albums of its genre. The reason for this, as well as why I rate this a 5 of 5, is because a decade after its release it still pushes boundaries that many top artists today have a difficult time reaching. No Need for Alarm is a one of a kind album concieved by a one of a kind musician that no hip hop fan should miss.

No Need for Alarm
No Need for Alarm by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (Audio CD - 1997)
Click for more info