5.0 out of 5 stars Great Memories
I would have to agree the CD falls short of the LP, which I had stolen in '89.
Can either compare to the concert? Do they do it justice?
Published on Jan. 7 2004 by David P Oller

1.0 out of 5 stars CD Quality is Poor
I had the good fortune to see several Delaney & Bonnie concerts in the early 1970's, of which this was one. It was one of the most stirring performances I have ever seen, and to this day, I still have seen or heard nothing to match it. I wore the grooves off of the original LP of this Croydon concert with Eric Clapton. However, the recording quality of this CD...
Published on Dec 31 1999 by James R. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Memories, Jan. 7 2004
David P Oller (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
I would have to agree the CD falls short of the LP, which I had stolen in '89.
Can either compare to the concert? Do they do it justice?
Between 1969 and the closing of the Fillmore West I think I saw so many great bands that many I've forgotten. Tower of Power, It's A Beautiful Day, Joy of Cooking, Hot Tuna, were all local bands that could really boogie. Incoming was Fleetwood Mac while Pete Greenwood was still playing, the Allman Bros, (all of them) Doc Watson over at the Buddhi in Berkely, but the concert I remember most was Delaney & Bonnie going until the early morning hours, loving what they were doing and seemingly willing to play until we all got old and gray. "I Don't Want to Discuss It," and "Come Out In My Kitchen" blew me away that night. The only comparable performance I've seen in my life was a very old Texas farmer named Mance Lipscomb (Gotta be the inspiration for John Hammond)at the first Woodie Guthrie Folk Festival at Lincoln Park in Oklahoma City.
If you like Delta Blues, (and I surely do) and your collection includes people like Mississippi John Hurt, and Robert Johnson, you are going to love what Delaney & Bonnie do with it, but then if you own a Robert Johnson you already know that :)

4.0 out of 5 stars THE ENGLISH---THEY'RE SO FUNNY, Jan. 5 2004
Crabby Apple Mick Lee (INDIANAPOLIS, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
As much as we share with each other, there are just some things we Yanks and them Brits just don't see eye to eye. As any peek into any English music magazine will show, both Americans and English have enthusiasms neither understands in each other. The English have never understood The Allman Brothers Band. As much as they love country music, soul music and Elvis, for some reason our brothers and sisters in the "old country" never understood the appeal of "Southern Rock"-especially the "boogie" school.
For all its faults, most Americans recognized the fevered swamps of Southern Rock as a part of the American musical landscape. It may not be to your taste; but in was American all right. Around 1970, the Allman Brothers and the company of bands that followed took America by storm. When Eric Clapton jumped right in with Delaney & Bonnie, several other British rockers dove into the pool with him. It baffled most of his countrymen, but we loved Clapton all the more for it. Make no mistake: it's for Clapton that most of us will pick up this CD.
This CD is just plain fun. As it goes, I think only one song, "Coming Home", actually got any airplay. But the album was on turntables everywhere in 1970-1971. The appeal was the loose and joyous atmosphere of several excellent musicians coming together to play and have fun.
Any album which ends with Eric Clapton easing into a Little Richard medley has a lot going for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Live Recording Ever. Period., Oct. 13 2000
alan j. sandler (san francisco, ca. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
What a tour this must have been! Imagine a pick-up band with Eric Clapton, Dave Mason and Jessie Ed Davis on guitars, the rest of Derek and the Dominoes behind them, Jim Price and Bobby Keys on horns and Rita Coolidge to sing back up vocals. That's the team that Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett fielded for this 1970 gem. Thank God it was recorded! You won't be able to sit still during the opening Things Get Better, which manages to showcase every musician in one killer tune. Delaney and Bonnie's voices are wonderfully soulful in their Tribute Medley to Robert Johnson, and Dave Mason's Only You Know and I know rises to a new level. Bonnie really belts it out during That's What My Man is For, and a fun Little Richard Medley is icing on the cake. E.C. always loved being part of a band, and it really shows here. Everyone playing on this CD was young, healthy, energetic and still learning how good their music could be. I bought the vinyl 30 years ago, and now with the CD, I'm still loving it.Buy it and BOOGIE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonnie! Bonnie! Bonnie!, March 11 2003
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This album is just a great album of "live" Delaney and Bonnie!
And while all the music on it is fantastic, there is one track on the album which makes the entire album "special"! In fact if this one single track were the only good song on the album, it would have been worth purchasing. Bonnie Bramlett's "That's What My Man Is For"! Her 'lectric blues/soul delivery on this song outdoes even the great Janis Joplin for delivering "the ol' Kosmic Blues"! It has to be heard to be believed. . . and heard and heard again.
I love the entire album and it jumps alive from the moment you put it on. It's a shame they went their separate ways, but we have "this" to relive again and again.
p.s. Bonnie and Delaney recently played a live date together and were joined on stage by their daughter Bekka Bramlett. Let's hope that was recorded for the ages as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Missing Link Album!, Oct. 15 2002
James J. Jenkins (Weare, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that puts other all-time favorites in perspective. It was a pivotal time for Clapton, who, coming from his brief Blind Faith experiment, was overwhelmed by superstar expectations. This tour allowed him to regroup as "one of the band" and, as another reviewer noted, continue with Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, and Bobby Whitlock as Derek & the Dominoes, where he was once again the lone soloist. Dave Mason, even though on the album he is introduced as a member of Traffic, was more or less split from them and in the process of playing with everybody who asked. Also, Carl Radle appears on some of Dave's solo stuff. Overall, this is a rippin' band that is obviously having fun. "Comin' Home" is my personal favorite, but I find myself listening to this one over and over and over. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Delaney & Bonnie & Friends on Tour with Eric Clapton (Live), Jan. 10 2002
Mitchell Lopate (Adak, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
Good Lord--this is the closest thing to spontaneous human combustion that may ever be captured on disc! Delaney's high-wire vocal acrobatics and hell-for-leather "follow me!" charges are absolutely inspiring, and Bonnie sings with enough vitality to rip down a brick wall with her bare hands. This also includes the raging fires that Eric tosses out, as well as the tornado whirlwinds fueled by Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner on drums, Carl Radle on bass, and Bobby Whitlock's keyboards. The horn section could blast down the walls of Jericho. This is an absolute must-have: throw away the vitamins and get this if you need an energy rush!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mix of stars and studio musicians, Sept. 29 1998
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful live album featuring Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett, along with Eric Clapton and Dave Mason. In addition to the stars this is the first time I heard this particular grouping of backup musicians, let by Jim Gordon (drums), Carl Radle (bass) and others. These musicians went on to backup Steve Winwood in Traffic, George Harrison in the Concert for Bangladesh, Joe Cocker on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour (with Leon Russel) and Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominoes, and his hit single Layla). A truly talented gathering, and this CD features hard-driving rock and soulful ballads by Bonnie. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Music From 70's, May 29 2003
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
stephen arnade palm bay florida; This is it, the best rock-and-roll from the 70's. Delaney and Bonnie with Dave Mason and Eric Claption. Its live and everyone was at their peak in their career. Dave Mason, Eric, Delaney Bramlett, and Bonnie Bramlett. Delaney and Bonnie combined; Gospel, Soul and Rock-And-Roll. A really unique band !! I read somewhere that the Eric Clapton guitar-solo on the song "I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS IT", was rated the number one guitar solo ever. Its live, its spontaneous. They announcer even use some slang from back then. Calling this a "swing place".

5.0 out of 5 stars They Can't Get Much Better, Jan. 3 2004
Richard Gargano (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This is what Rock and Roll was, is and always should be. Perfect synthesis of energy and art. Raw and yet controlled. D & B's vocals are the perfect match for Clapton and friends. Just about every track penetrates. My favorite is Coming Home - you can feel the soulful earnestness of the vocal supported by superb guitar work. While that's my favorite, the other tracks for the most part are tight runners up.
My opinion one of the 5 greatest Rock and Roll records ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my all-time faves, Aug. 8 1998
This review is from: On Tour With Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
more people, more instruments, more notes, more beauty than the vast majority of rock recordings. fun and fast, but some slow and melancholy, too. a christmas concert from croyden, england, that also had dave mason and traffic (not appearing on this cd, however). if anybody knows where the rest of the recordings of d & b & friends with clapton are please tell me (some tunes showed up on "the best of eric clapton", a two-album collection from the early 70s).

On Tour With Eric Clapton
On Tour With Eric Clapton by Delaney & Bonnie (Audio CD - 2012)