5.0 out of 5 stars Rock N' Roll At It's Best
I grew up listening to metal from the 80's. White Lion is one of my favorites. My favorite songs on this cd are "Cry For Freedom", "Radar Love", "Broken Home"...actually I love all the songs! :) My personal favorite is "Little Fighter". It means so much to me. ...
Published on Jan. 20 2002 by Little Fighter

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, four good songs the rest's filler!!!!!!
First I'm a huge fan of both James Lomenzo and Greg D'Angelo. I recently repurchased some of White Lion's releases on Amazon with the exception of Big Game. I got rid of them back in 1991, when James Lomenzo and Greg D'Angelo where fired.
Published on March 18 2004 by HornFan2

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock N' Roll At It's Best, Jan. 20 2002
Little Fighter (Streamwood, IL USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Vito is amazing..., Jan. 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
I played this over and over again just for Vito's playing, some of the most incredible riffs I have ever heard. Some nice catchy tunes as well. Only thing, I never really got used to Mike Tramp's voice. I would buy any White Lion just for the pure enjoyment of listening to Vito play - and boy does he play, it is a thing of beauty!

5.0 out of 5 stars A different WL album from its predecessors and its follow-up, Sept. 6 2003
Murat Batmaz (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
Big Game, the third White Lion album released in 1989 on Atlantic Records, is by many ways different from its two predecessors, the debut Fight To Survive, and Pride, the band's breakthrough record from 1987. Also, while it contains some of the best White Lion songs such as "Broken Home", "Cry For Freedom", "Goin' Home Tonight" and the heavy rocker "If My Mind Is Evil", overall it sounds less focused than the band's last effort Mane Attraction (1991).
After the enormous success of Pride touring with bands like KISS, Y&T, Aerosmith and Ozzy Osbourne for over a year, most of the songs on Big Game were written on tour. Because the label pressured songwriters guitarist Vito Bratta and vocalist Mike Tramp, the counterparts didn't have much time on their hands to really sit and release a fully focused album. Atlantic Records was obviously aware of the fact that anything this band would release after the amazing Pride would sell at least a million - and it did. But it lacked the punch Pride had. Big Game is the only WL album that didn't have big hits except "Little Fighter", a beautiful song dedicated to the Rainbow Warrior, a ship which was sunk in the Gulf War.
Despite all these disadvantages, Vito did manage to write some of the most melodic guitar solos complemented by his awesome two hand tapping technique and his articulate phrasing. Simply incredible. I may sound biased here, since Vito Bratta is my all time favourite guitar player and songwriter. But the fact still remains. He was a very different guitarist compared to his contemporaries. His tone was one of a kind and even the smallest riff contained the strongest melody. If you like melodic guitar playing with a very clean tone and have never heard of Vito Bratta, then be ready to discover the most underrated guitarist of the 80's. Vito unfortunately was one of the few players out there that never got the attention he deserved. Be it Fight To Survive, Pride, Big Game or Mane Attraction, he played some of the most tasteful and articulate guitar I've ever heard, from classical rock to melodic 80's metal.
Mike Tramp's lyrics on some songs are perhaps not what White Lion was about. I believe the reason for songs like "Dirty Woman" and "Baby Be Mine" was again the lack of concentration due to the incessant touring. The duo didn't find the time to complete the album like they did on Pride and Mane Attraction.
"Goin' Home" opens the album with its slow but haunting melodies supported by Tramp's somewhat sad voice. Obviously it's a song about the band being on tour all the time and needing a break. The solo in the song is possibly one of the greatest Vito has ever played. Even though Vito has been off the music business for over 11 years now, interesting enough I still see posts about this solo on various guitar forums. It is a slow, emotional and haunting solo and it sounds so natural. Nothing forced there. Tramp's lyrics on the song "Broken Home" depict the tragedy of a family from a little child's point of view. I think it is safe to say his deep voice never sounded more hauting before. The song shows a surprising change in tone as Vito enters with his sharp solo and I must admit my eyes filled with tears many, many times on this one. "Little Fighter" was the band's big hit from Big Game and while the video of it wasn't all that interesting Mike and Vito's collaboration on songwriting truly shows here. The two of them were simply incredible. They were perhaps the greatest duo in the 80's writing unbelievably beautiful songs from making you happy with laughter and cry with sadness. No matter how hard I try I cannot stress the importance of White Lion in my life. My musical tastes have changed and progressed heavily over the years but I still consider White Lion and all their albums special.
"Cry For Freedom" shows Tramp's vulnerable side. Tramp has always been one to speak his mind about social and political changes happening in the world. The lyrics of this song were written about what was going on in South Africa during the apartheid. Also the video of this song happens to be one of my favourite WL videos. Too bad it never got airplay on MTV back in the day simply because they were too busy playing "party hard drink a lot" glam songs. This is one of the biggest aspects of White Lion that set them apart from their contemporaries. They wrote "All The Fallen Man", "El Salvador" and "The Road To Valhalla" on their debut Fight To Survive; "Lady of the Valley", "When The Children Cry" and "All Join Our Hands" on Pride; and "Lights & Thunder" and "Warsong" on Mane Attraction. As for Big Game, they offered "Little Fighter", "Broken Home", "If My Mind Is Evil" and "Cry For Freedom". "If My Mind Is Evil" is perhaps the heaviest on the record showcasing Bratta's technique. Vito was never one to show his chops but his solos on this album definitely prove what he was capable of. The album also contains a cover song called "Radar Love" with a beautiful drum solo by Greg D'Angelo. Also I must address the fat bassline in "If My Mind Is Evil", bassist James Lomenzo never expressed himself better. Great rhythm section overall.
I personally rank BG after Pride and Mane Attraction but by no means consider it a poor effort. On the contrary, despite its weak points, it at least tried to bring new perspectives on the table, which again makes White Lion simply more than a "hair band".
I recommend checking out Pride for its heaviness and in your face type of sincerity, Mane Attraction for its focused and polished song writing, Fight To Survive for its unbelievably heavy approach and last but not least Big Game for its versatility and Vito's beautiful melodies enriched by Tramp's deep and emotional vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vito where are youuuuuhuuuuuuu? Come back !!!, July 22 2003
Jazzcat "stef" (Genoa, Italy Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
Vito Bratta is one of the most underrated guitarists in the whole guitar history which is full of bad players considered "gods". Vito had a tremendous sense of melody, technique to sell, extraordinary rhythmn and harmonic chops, pure sense of blues. He recorded only four albums but in a so short space he established himself as a terrific gifted guitarist. This album is probably his best together with Pride. The music is classy , melodic, catching, technical, immortal super rock'n'roll. Unbelievable the fact that grunge trend killed a lot of fantastic talented bands like White Lion. Thanks Cobain, we really didn't need your horrible meanigless music. Vito, come back. Life is too short to hear bad music and bad guitarists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Transition from old to new, Jan. 13 2002
kingratt82 (Fortuna, California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
White Lion in this album, "Big Game," has developed a markedly different sound than in their previous two albums. Moreso than in their first two albums "Fight To Survive" and "Pride," there are more politically-themed songs in this album. And while a more politically conservative listener may disagree with White Lion's politics, they would have a hard time disagreeing with their revamped sound and catchy tunes.
The first track "Goin' Home Tonight" is a nice light, upbeat opener, and is followed nicely by the sassy lyrics and guitar work of "Dirty Woman." "Little Fighter" will have you singing along with its pop-metal sound, and in the song the band seems to have found a blend of rock and melody that leaves you wondering why other bands haven't discovered this same sound.
"Broken Home" is a bit slow, especially as a follow up to "Little Fighter," and the lyrics, while powerful, are overshadowed by the slow tempo of the song. But then again, if you enjoyed their hit single "When the Children Cry," this song is a perfect B-side follow-up.
"Baby Be Mine" is a catchy song with a lot of guitar, and you start to really see the album take shape as it bring a tast of "Goin' Home Tonight" back around to the middle of the album.
My favorite cut from the CD is "Living On the Edge," which is every rebel, rogue, and maverick's theme song, and has a tendency to give you a feeling of freedom. If you buy this CD for no other reason, buy it for this song!
"Let's Get Crazy" explicitly shows the bands transition from "Pride" to "Big Game." It actually starts with the end guitar solo from "All You Need Is Rock and Roll" from their "Pride" album, and then they blend it into an even MORE upbeat song with a lot of good guitar in "Let's Get Crazy."
When song eight comes around with "Don't Say It's Over," you are reminded of the remarkable cohesiveness of theme through this album, as the song brings around a hint of middle track "Baby Be Mine," which I mentioned above as having a flavor of the opening track sprinkled in.
"If My Mind Is Evil" is, of all four of their albums, the heaviest song they produced. It's dark, and its message deals with the phony televangelists. A good song, and it's a good towards-the-end-of-the-CD track. I think it sets the stage nicely for "Radar Love." "Radar Love" is every drummers dream song: hard drumming, mellow drumming, and three or four drum solos mixed into the six-minute song. As a drummer myself, this song really caught my attention, and I've been trying to copy the drumming since I bought the album.
The ending track "Cry For Freedom" is a mid-tempo rocker with a catchy beat and what I think of as the perfect closing track to this CD.
One major feature I have not talked about is Vito Bratta's guitar work throughout this album. He shines in their earlier album "Pride," but his guitar work in this album sounds more polished, and not as much like the no-holds-barred, riff-and-crunch sound of "Pride." Still, it's a toss-up between the two albums as to which has better guitar. Personally, I'd recommend "Pride."
This album, of the four White Lion releases, sees the drummer at his best. The first album showcased the band's raw cohesiveness and sound. The second album was a Vito Bratta special. "Big Game" sees the drummer (Greg D'Angelo) shine, and their final album "Mane Attraction" best showcases their bassist. In all of the albums lead singer Mike Tramp struts his stuff, and his voice is the perfect sound for the band.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best they could give, May 22 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
This one was the perfect album after 'pride', it has some great songs on it, like Little fighter or Livin' on the edge. Vito (Bratta, guit.) plays with more different styles and sounds, the rest of the band is, as always, great. The perfect summer album. "So I pack my bags and ride into the sunset.." Any questions??

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of variety & talented musicianship, June 30 1998
jpc@netscape.com (MountainView, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
Baby be mine is a great tune - with a nice twist or two at the end. Little fighter - although an annoyyingly cliché title, is a great tune for it's spirit and the talented guitarwork and musicianship pulls some emotion out of you - but only if you are very familiar with what the song is about (the sinking of the Greenpeace flagship Rainbow Warrior by the French Govornment to stop a planned Greenpeace protest of French Nuclear testing). Other titles like Radar Love and If my mind is evil (about Televangelism) are also very very good. It's a pity that the musician ship and creativity on the first two albums didn't carry over to Mane Attraction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, four good songs the rest's filler!!!!!!, March 18 2004
HornFan2 "Mich" (Ocala, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Game (Audio CD)
I never listened to this release before and was disappointed by it. Friends of mine did have it and told me don't both it's too much like Pride. So back in 1989, I never bothered to purchase it. The best track is, "If My Mind Is Evil" even Mike Tramp does a great job with the Vocals. Now "Little Fighter", is a really nice song but it's just a reworked "Wait". Which is too bad, since it's dedicated to the Rainbow Warrior and should never have been recorded like that. They should have taken the time to record it with it's own identity. Now their cover of "Radar Love" it's ok, but the original still better. Always felt when you do a cover song, add to the original. Like what Great White did with "Once Bitten Twice Shy". (Alot of fans thought they wrote that song and where surprised that it's a cover.) If your going to play it safe why bother. Now out of all the political songs they recorded "Cry For Freedom" is the best one. "Living On The Edge" is also a good song, but should have been recorded more heavier. I also didn't like, "Broken Home". They recorded on Pride, "When The Children Cry" which I liked and a song that would be hard to duplicate. Why sing another one. On "Dirty Woman", Mike kills the track with his Vocals and reminds me of "Lonely Nights". I also liked both "Let's Get Crazy" and "Don't Say It's Over", but on one Mike's bad and the other the band should have recorded it heavier with a edge. This is why Big Game was written off by so many music critcs and fans as being another Pride release. Because their are too many similarities with them. Using feeling rushed and the road as a excuse is just lame by the band. Big Game does have a good song selection but is lacking it's own Identity.
My big problem with White Lion is their lead singer, Mike Tramp.
Never really liked him. I think he holds the band back too much. They really can't kick it up a notch playing heavier on alot of tracks and hate that he sings too many songs with the same formula. What I mean by this is listen to Steven Tyler, every track has something different and not always the same thing. He had a HUGE EGO, which is fine but back it up. DLR, would make you crazy but the man could sing. You have to be able to take criticism, don't whine about it and at least try to prove everybody wrong. Now Vito Bratta yeah he's good loved his playing on Pride, but everythings always the same melodic/classical sounding. Listen to all of White Lion's releases, it's always the same and only a few songs that sound different. (Now back in 1989, their was another guitarist like Vito named Nuno Bettencourt that stole all the Thunder and the Critics liked alot.)Definately would have benefit from the band having a Rhythm Guitarist, and with a different lead singer. One that didn't limit how he needed to play. Plus with his ego it didn't help any. You have to grew with each release as a musician, venture into new ground with each release. Not keep the same sound with a few tracks with new ground mixed in. Now the rhythm section of James Lomenzo on bass and Greg D'Angelo on drums is top notch. These guys in many critics, fellow musicians and fans eyes where considered to be heavy metals most underrated rhythm section and probably the best one. They deserved more credit than they got and feel they where one of the best ever. Both Mike and Vito, should have unleashed the beast that they kept under control being James and Greg. Sadly they never used them to their advantage. In 1991 they would learn just how many fans both James and Greg had and ultimately lead to their demise. Now don't think the change in White Lion's Rhythm section didn't effect them. I really liked White Lion's heavier songs, wish they left the pop-metal alone and used their awesome rhythm section more than they did. Now if your a fan of either James or Greg. Here's some stuff from them well worth it to check out. The L. A. Blues Authority first release has both playing with Zakk Wylde covering "Baby Please Don't Go" a classic from Muddy Waters. (This one is very rare, hard to find and expensive on CD.)
Then the first release from the Guitars That Ruled The World on Metal Blade Records. Has both James and Greg playing with Zakk on a tune called, "Farm Fiddlin'". This is my favorite instrumental ever, really like sound effects mixed in and both really rock on the tune. Then it's well worth it to pick-up both Pride and Glory- S/T debut and Zakk Wylde's "Book Of Shadows" both feature the stellar work of James on bass. Plus the new Black Label Society CD being released soon has James playing bass on some tracks. Yeah White Lion deserves it's place in any CD collection. But I hope someday with the way technology is. That one day, I can burn these releases with just the Bass, Drums, and Vito's guitar work that I like.

ARRAY(0xc0eb0de0)

Big Game
Big Game by White Lion (Audio CD - 1994)