5.0 out of 5 stars One of Rock's Peaks
Coming back to this music after a long listening hiatus, two things in particular impress: the amazing, almost entirely successful eclecticism of the songs; and the production values of Jimmy Page, who is certainly one of the great masters of studio overdubbing.
Published on April 25 2002 by Mr. Hasta Pasta

3.0 out of 5 stars In advance - I'm only reviewing the packaging
Yes, this is a great way to get all of the studio albums in one shot (if you can find this box for a decent price). No, I'm not going to comment on the sound quality of these remasters with terms like 'drop-out' and a bunch of other B.S. that many posers like to throw around.

But I AM going to state that the quality of the packaging in this box is absolute...
Published 20 months ago by Killer Muhari

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Rock's Peaks, April 25 2002
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
John Paul Jones, bassist and keyboardist, once made the observation about so-called heavy metal bands that came in Zep's wake that they would all tend to imitate one facet of the group while overlooking all the rest. In other words, Zeppelin-influenced bands tend to mimic the riff-centered "mega-decibelity" of the group, while ignoring the side that employed mandolins, acoustic guitars, recorders, country blues, jazz chords, folk music -- and all the other diverse instrumental and music styles which combined to produce the unique synthesis that was Led Zeppelin. And unlike those other bands, who never seem to be able to figure out when in the middle of song to change tempos or switch gears to something new, Jimmy Page always understood that even the greatest riff becomes tiresome if is repeated too many times without variation, or if there's nothing else musically interesting going on in the song.
In song after song Page as a producer proves himself to have been blessed with the right instincts about how to best put each one over. To give one example among many: in "When the Levee Breaks" he has the band lay down the basic track by playing together live in the studio without separation -- as the Beatles did in "Yer Blues" -- which gives the music the rough bluesy edge that it needs. Or, to give another example, check out the subtle use of electric piano on "Stairway to Heaven." The point is, no matter where you turn, there's always something to learn. If other bands would take the time to learn what Jimmy teaches in these classic albums, instead of just trying to be rock star-idiots, there wouldn't be so much [stuff] on the airwaves.
Which I suppose is just a roundabout way of saying that you can't go wrong by investing in this box set.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's That? Oh, It's Flying Led Zeppelin!, Sept. 7 2006
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
Do you want to know what I did? I wanted to get into the great Led Zeppelin. I was going to purchase an old CD-copy of IV/Zoso. But then I found out that there were also vinyl replicas, collections and other choices. I ended up wit Early Days&Latter Days -combo, which absolutely adore and recommend to anyone wanting a sampler of LedZep. Then I started thinking, which album would I get first. But first I bought the great DVD and also The Song Remains The Same -DVD. Later I got Unledded -DVD.

I pondered and pondered on my album purchases. I knew I would need them all. And then I decided to collect and spend the money and get me this wonderful boxset.

If you are considering getting the two other boxes because of the money, I advise against it. With this set you'll get the actual albums, original order of songs and stunning artwork in one handy box.

If you are thinking buying the albums separetly, I'd still recommend this box, money-save or not-so-much. For me at least it was just wonderful to get everything at once with bonussongs, which you don't get if you buy the individual albums. You would also miss great essay by Cameron Crove and a nice storage aka box itself.

Two gripes are: no lyrics booklet, although there are lyrics found in the Internet, and the disc-storage which means odd papersleeves. I'll take my CD's and put them in jewel cases, you could do the same. I was aware of this problem when I bought this, and it didn't stop me.

As I can't imagine, why would someone want to own just a few Led Zeppelin -albums, I warmly recommend investing in this marvellous box. I bet you won't regret it!

All of the LedZep -music is great, listen to the whole albums and see/hear for yourself. Five stars all the way!

But I'm sure you too love these guys already... ;o)

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only way to truly experince their music..., Feb. 22 2004
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
Led Zeppelin. These guys have become known as gods of rock over the years, and with good reason. Their music puts that of this or any other decade to shame. Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and John Bonham were musical geniuses, and it was about time they put all of their albums together in one handy set. The Led Zeppelin Complete Studio recordings brings it all together at long last. Read on for my review of this set.
PROS:
-Every last one of Led Zeppelin's studio albums is in this set. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV, Houses Of The Holy, Presence, Physical Graffiti, In Through The Out Door, and the outtake collection album Coda are all here for your listening pleasure.
-The version of the Coda compilation included with this set features four hard-to-find bonus tracks.
-Unlike the other Led Zeppelin box set, this one isn't a scattershot mixture of tracks - it's got EVERY studio album.
-A handy booklet is included with the set. The booklet contains useful information (release dates for albums/singles, etc.), as well as a new essay by legendary rock journalist Cameron Crowe.
-You save money by purchasing this set. If you were to buy every Led Zeppelin album separately, you would end up spending more than you would for this box set. The price looks steep at first glance, but in actuality, it's a great deal.
CONS:
-I'm not too crazy about the way the individual CDs were packaged in the set. Two CDs each are in five slipcases, each of which contains the art to the two albums, as well as the basic liner note informaton. It's hard to get the CDs out of these slipcases, because you must grab the edge of them. It also gets confusing looking at the liner notes (you actually have to own or see the set to see what I mean.) I was hoping they'd all be individually packaged.
-Although it's called COMPLETE Studio Recordings, you don't get the band's early BBC sessions recordings.
-Just a little word of caution - this is common knowledge to most people, but the following material is NOT in this box set: Robert Plant solo material, David Coverdale/Jimmy Page material, and Led Zeppelin's live albums.
OVERALL:
One of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time has put together all of their master works, and at long last, you can get all of these works together in one convenient set. Sure, the set isn't quite perfect, but it doesn't have to be - the quality of Zeppelin's music more than makes up for it. If you're a rock and roll fan, and this set isn't in your collection, what the hell are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent box set and cheap way to buy all of Zep's discs, June 22 2004
Terrence J Reardon "Classic rock guru" (Lake Worth, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
Led Zeppelin's The Complete Studio Recordings which was released in September of 1993, is a great box set featuring all of the band's studio albums in one place instead of spending an extra $30 or so buying them individually. The real treat is Coda has four bonus tracks which were four of the five bonus tracks on the two separate Led Zeppelin box sets released in 1990 and 1993. The sound of the albums as a whole never sounded better, especially Presence and Led Zep III(two of my favorite albums of theirs). Also, the albums come with the original vinyl artwork and excellent liner notes courtesy of Cameron Crowe. The bonuses on Coda are Baby Come on Home(OK), Travelling Riverside Blues(excellent and was a rock radio hit in 1990 and MTV promoted the Zep box set when MTV was good), White Summer/Black Mountain Side and the long-lost B Side Hey Hey What Can I Do. This set is well worth the $100 price tag(10 CDs for over a $100, a bargain). Hugely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any better than this!, April 9 2003
John (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
Led Zeppelin's complete studio recordings gathered together in one great box set, with all original artwork, plus a book about the band. Could you possibly ask for more?
Ok, so for Zeppelin fans that have all or most of the albums already this set is pretty much worthless. But, for someone with only two albums or someone who has lost all or most of their Zeppelin albums (me) this set is a godsend. It's almost worthless to review, because the content is well known and speaks for itself.
So then why should you buy this instead of individual albums? If you have just begun to get into the band, have liked a couple albums and want more, this set will save you money, because let's face it, you will end up with all or nearly all of these CD's anyway. The set costs significantly less than buying the albums seperately. With this set you get an interesting booklet about the band, as well as all the albums packaged nicely in a great looking, relatively small box.
The one minor, VERY minor downside to this set is that it doesn't include Zeppelins live album, The Song Remains the Same. Some people may expect this even though the title of the box is Complete STUDIO Recordings, since it was released back around the time of Physical Graffiti. It's a small incovenience that honestly I feel stupid complaining about.
In short, anyone thinking of buying this should. It will be a great investment that you will not ever regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars A musicians, or just anyone appreciating music must have!!!, April 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
I was first turned on to Led Zeppelin when I was a little boy and my father let me hear an old, old record of led zeppelin 2 which is, to this day, my favorite album of theirs. Every member of Zep was astonishing. Plants orgasmic vocals, Page's incindiary guitar styles(to which being a guitarist I hold unmatched), John Bonham...well if you know anything about drums you know you cannot describe exactly how amazing Bonzo was, and John Paul Jones multi-faceted skills with a large list of various instruments. If you are having second thoughts on getting this box set, well first of all shame on you haha, but secondly go out and buy the new self-titled DVD (the one with the desert on the cover) rather than wasting money on one of the cd's in this box set, since after you watch the DVD, you'll indefinitely go out and buy the set for this cheap, cheap, price. And plus you'll have the 2 disc 50 song DVD to go with the magnificent collection your getting here.
In conclusion, if you have any interest in rock music, blues music, or acoustic symphany then go out and buy this box set, and the DVD. I promise you won't be wasting your money.

By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive collection - just spend the money and get it!, Feb. 10 2004
S B "sdb70" (Phoenix, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
I was one of the suckers who bought the orignial CD catalogue from the 1980s, then bought the original four-disk remasters box set in 1990 (with its supplement from 1993). But THIS box set is the way to go.
First, unlike the 1990 4-disk box set and its 1993 2-disk supplement, you get the orignal records in the original running order, and unlike the orignal catalog releases in the 1980s, you get all the original artwork, which was previously unavailable. These original studio records include the following:
1. Led Zeppelin I (1969) - "Communications Breakdown", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Good Times Bad Times"
2. Led Zeppelin II (1969) - "Whole Lotta Love", "Thank You", "Ramble On", "Heartbreaker", "What Is and What Should Never Be"
3. Led Zeppelin III (1970) - "Immigrant Song", "Since I've Been Loving You", "Gallow's Pole"
4. "IV" (1971) - "Stairway to Heaven", "Rock and Roll", "Black Dog", "Going to California"
5. Houses of the Holy (1973) - "Over the Hills and Far Away", "Dancing Days", "D'yer Mak'er", "The Ocean"
6. Physical Graphitti (1975) (2CD) - "Kashmir", "Housses of the Holy", "Trampled Underfoot", "Black Country Woman"
7. Presence (1976) - "Nobody's Fault But Mine"
8. In Through the Out Door (1979) - "All My Love", "Fool in the Rain", "In the Evening"
9. Coda (1982) - "We're Gonna Groove", "I Can't Quit You Babe"
Second, on the 'Coda' disk (which was nothing more than a posthumous collection of unreleased tracks to begin with), you get four of the five nonalbum tracks released with the 1990 box set - "White Summer/Black Mountain Side", a semi-live track from 1969, "Traveling Riverside Blues" and "Baby Come Home", recorded between the first and second records, and the hit b-side "Hey Hey What Can I Do", orignially a b-side of "Immigrant Song", one of the few singles released by this quintessential AOR band. The only thing missing is the remixed version of "Moby Dick", which was included on the first 1990 box set, but which is hardly essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Hey What Can I "Say", Jan. 6 2004
Harald T. Arnesen (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
What can I say about the "mighty" Led Zeppelin? They ROCK and made us ROLL!!! I was a Zep fan for more than a quarter century when I bought my first album "Led Zeppelin IV" when I was 16. Since then, I collected all their albums including the hit single "Hey Hey What Can I Do?". Originally Jimmy Page was going to call the band "The New Yardbirds" (after the "Yardbirds", a band he was a member of with the likes of other greats; Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, etc, but if it weren't for Keith Moon who approached Page and said; "Your band's gonna go down like a lead zeppelin!" The rest is history!!! Aside from Page who really showed off his style of guitar playing, he put together a bunch of talented guys, first with John Paul Jones (bass and keyboards) who then recommended a close friend of his John "Bonzo" Bonham who was considered one of the best drummers of our times (both Jones and Bonham were with a previous band). Lastly, Robert Plant became a highly recommended pick for vocals, and yes, he was fantastic with the harmonica. From 1969 until the band's breakup shortly after Bonham's death in 1980, the band grossed millions, and still, after twenty years, remain the most popular band today.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Absolute Studio Experience of Led Zeppelin, Dec 13 2003
Radburn Mayo (The Mountains of VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Studio Recordings (10CD) (Audio CD)
This, the Boxed Set of ten little CDs called "Led Zeppelin: The Complete Studion Recordings", is a commodity any Ledophile (my term there :D) will gladly pay for. Its title is a truth to itself, in content and its entire overview. This collection of Led Zeppelin's studio work is not only the complete STUDIO Recordings in themsleves, but it is another, deeper kind of Complete... It is a complete that is of not solely strategically placed microphones for sound's depth, it is not a complete showcase of other abilities of Jimmy Page's production, but it is a complete 12 years of the studio experience rolled up, or rather, boxed, into a complete in the physical realm, a complete... thing that we hold in our hands, as we try to avoid spilling the tears of our recognition onto its laminated cardboard, tears of recognizing that this we hold is a truth, a real truth, which can never be taken. Forgotten, yes, but never taken, and never rightfully either of the two. It is a truth of what happened, starting in the late October of 1968, ending in vile tragedy almost 12 years later, and that happening is so multifaected, like the firyest of gems, diamond in particular, for how HARD it is, how unscratchable. That truth is that Led Zeppelin was the best band that ever lived, all things considered, and still lives on in my heart, in every Ledophile's heart on Earth, and shall eventually die, but not after a tearful, laughing, exuding life of musical ecstasy. In short, it is a thing that is essential to any Led Zeppelin collection. After the lover of the Zeppelin has secured this in both the physical realm, and the realm of its own spirit, should said lover go on to experience the Live material, namely the BBC Sessions, which hark back to Led Zeppelin's beginning, of their paying tribute to the King, the Blues, and whatever else gave their culmination an ingredient. From there is the world of their DVD experience, simply titled "Led Zeppelin DVD", which is yet another teary complete neccessary for the understanding of Led Zeppelin. Or, if a Ledophile prefers, simply collect as is on whim. But never, never leave Led Zeppelin forsaken, for as soon as one era of Led Zeppelin becomes tiresome, be trusting in that there is another time of Robert, Jimmy, John, and Bonzo that is to your fancy, so long as you look... And always look, because otherwise you risk permanent blindness to the great, wide ocean that has been spawned, and God forbid that the Ocean be lost to you, for it is the key to new worlds, new depths, new LIFE, if you look for it. So buy this, for God's sake, but more for yours, and never forget to Love, for Love is what makes the Earth's people yours, and more importantly, makes you happy. And bieng happy is the cheif end in life.