5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful music
excellent music, a very talented artist, very relaxing music to listen to, nice to hear a lot of her greatest hits, a very nice cd, good value for the money
Published 15 months ago by david mungall

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound the same as the day she hit the lollipop scene
Debbie is ever so sweet and gentile and so is her music. This is her greatest hits.
Published on Nov. 17 2003 by Alicia Walker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful music, April 17 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars the great debbie, Jan. 27 2007
Dimitrios (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
I dont know much about Debbie Gibson (I was more of a Tiffany fan, sorry) BUT I did love Debbie's music but I didnt know all her songs so when I found this cd I thought I'd buy it and I am so gald I did because its great.

But what I've been told is its not ALL her hits but I totally love it because it brings me back to the days of great pop music.

Debbie plays pop music playfully and puts a smile to my face and I do still dance to it lol.

Can I say? even though Tiffany was the queen of ballads at the time, Debbie still had beautiful ballads.

This cd is a great blend of both pop and ballads, I totally love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The early hits of a forgotten pop superstar, July 4 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
I have been a Debbie Gibson fan since the very beginning, ever since I heard her first single Only in My Dreams. Gibson burst on the music scene as a bonafide phenomenon; she was topping the charts with great songs she wrote herself before she was even old enough to drive. Her first album, Out of the Blue, produced one successful single after another, and she followed up her debut effort with a second hit album called Electric Youth. Little did we loyal fans know that her career had already peaked. With the release of Anything is Possible, the radio soon became a stranger to Gibson's recordings. I admit to having been shocked by her appearance in the video to Anything is Possible, but my fears that Gibson had decided to forego her musical purity in favor of the exploitation of her feminine charms were allayed by the exceptional quality - overall - of her third album. Debbie went on to record additional albums of great music, but new fans were hard to come by in a world where this talented singer had been made invisible during the musical shift from the 1980s to the 1990s. Many of Gibson's early fans have missed out on some great songs over the course of years since her initial success, but everyone can still appreciate the great songs that made her famous.

This Greatest Hits album was released in 1995, and it is dominated by songs from her first two albums (with two exceptions). Out of the Blue supplies five tracks here, each one of them a great commercial success: Only in My Dreams, the single that started it all; Staying Together, Shake Your Love, and Out of the Blue, three energetic songs borne of the excitement of teenaged romance; and the incredible ballad Foolish Beat, the song that really put Debbie over the top. Electric Youth, Gibson's second album, produced a number of great tracks, three of which are included in this collection: the title track, a song pulsing with the dreams and possibilities of youth; Lost in Your Eyes, a huge ballad hit; and the equally becoming but less famous ballad No More Rhyme. Anything is Possible was a fantastic album, made up of 8 dance-oriented tracks and 8 ballads, but is represented here only by its first single; this was the worst song on that album, in my opinion, and it sent Gibson's career into a tail-spin in terms of sales and popularity.

This Greatest Hits album ends with three remixes. The first two are dance club mixes of Only in My Dreams and Shake Your Love. The third one is a "Masters at Work Version" of the song Losin' Myself from the 1992 album Body Mind Soul. While this fourth album was a little uneven, it produced several wonderful songs that no one apart from Debbie's loyal fans ever really got to hear. Losin' Myself in particular should have been a huge hit, and it truly deserved a place here on this Greatest Hits album despite its lack of commercial success.

If you were a Gibson fan in the 1980s, you will love this CD. Some may call Gibson's music bubblegum pop, but I know I am not alone in enjoying her music immensely. These songs bring back many great youthful memories for me, and it can do the same for many others out there - even those who consider Debbie Gibson a guilty pleasure at best.

4.0 out of 5 stars too basic as a compilation - doesn't do debs justice., Jan. 18 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
i don't like the remixes, "losin myself" is a really bad version.
i'd have liked to have seen more diversity here, instead of these 3 remixes, the space could've been better used.
debs is a great talent, & had some great classic '80s pop hits
that i still like to listen to.
her ballads were particularly outstanding.
also, "we could be together" was omitted here, i distinctly recall that being a single release in '89 & is one of my faves, so, why no show here?
i also thought the "anything is possible" album was a particularly good collection, so would've loved a bit more input from that here, perhaps as a bonus track or whatever.
also, "electric youth" was an especially outstanding song, so, if anything, an extended version of this track here would've been excellent
anyway, i do like the songs herein, but as a compilation from debs, it does not do her achievements justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of why I got into music in the first place, July 1 2004
Da Peace Dogg (Hollywood, California - livin' humble) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
Perky, fun, and always on key, Miss Gibson gives the performances of her life on these popular tracks. Unlike Britney Spears and raunchy Madonna, Gibson never used sex to sell her music; instead, she relied on what the aforementioned female artists never had: raw talent. I was lucky enough to catch a few Debbie Gibson concerts during her "Fall for the Mall" tour back in '88, and my ears are still ringing to this day. Debbie Gibson's influence ranges far and wide, and she is responsible for my obsession with death metal in 2004. Thanks for the inspiration, Debbie!
P.S. - The track "Foolish Beat" on this record is especially transcendent.

4.0 out of 5 stars My #1 guilty pleasure, Jan. 30 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
Long before Twitney Spears, NStink, and the Backdoor Boys, there was Tiffany, New Kids on the Block and Debbie Gibson. What does all those people have in common? The put out cavity-inducing music. Of all the pop acts I have listed, the only person I liked back in the late '80s was Debbie Gibson. I liked her music more than Tiffany's. Plus Debbie actually wrote and produce her own music which I can't say the same for mall rat Tiffany. Still Debbie did manage to churn out some real cheesy songs like "Shake Your Love" (the one Debbie Gibson song that I don't like). Sure Debbie's music screams out "I am the cheese!" like in songs such as "Electric Youth" and the syrupy ballad "Lost in Your Eyes" but at least Debbie never pulled any stupid stunts ..., nor did she have to resort to using her sexuality to sell records. I may not be a Debbie Gibson fan now but I occasionally like to throw in her greatest hits for a trip down memory lane. Her music is a huge guilty pleasure for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound the same as the day she hit the lollipop scene, Nov. 17 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars TALENTED TEEN 80'S POP IN YOUR HANDS, Sept. 30 2003
S. Quinto (Guatemala, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
What's the difference between Tiffany and Debbie, of course, the ability to write your own stuff, although Tiffany had a great aproach to audience with 2000's "Colour Of Silence", for much of the 80's Debbie was the most talented of the two, this greatest hits includes the essential hits of Debbie Gibson, nothing more, nothing less, is not fill with the non-hit tracks, that for some reason didn't become hits?, because they we're bad, this collection includes only but bubble gum classic, that we all as children of the eighties grew up with, for my taste the best tracks are the upbeat "Only In My Dreams", the bittersweet "Out Of The Blue", the dance jam "Electric Youth", the melancolic "Lost In Your Eyes and No More Rhyme", the worst track of all is "Anything Is Possible" no wonder it was the beginning of the end of the chart career for Debbie, along side all this Greatest Hits is an essential cd for your eighties collection. Great Buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars A lotta great bubblegum, Feb. 1 2003
jon sieruga (Redlands, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
Enormously talented, and yet wide-eyed and girlish, Debbie Gibson was a bit one-note, but always heartfelt and mostly utterly romantic. "Lost In Your Eyes" is one of the best puppy love anthems of all time. I didn't care for the samey remixes. Why not add something rare, like the flipside to the "Anything is Possible" single("So Close To Forever", one of the very finest breakup songs, written by Gibson and sung with a shivering crack in her voice)? Ahhh well, only in my dreams...

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits, July 5 2002
"gibraud" (Braintree, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson (Audio CD)
This is Debbie Greatest hit which all the songs on here are hits. It starts out with "Only In My Dreams" which hit Number 4, "Electric Youth" hit 11, "Foolish Beat" Hit Number 1 for 1 week, "Anything Is Possible" hit 26, "Staying Together" hit 22, "Lost In Your Eyes" was 1 for 3 weeks, "Shake Your Love" hit Number 4, "No More Rhyme" hit Number 17, "Out Of The Blue" hit Number 3, "Losin' Myself" hit Number 86. This is great for people who don't want to buy every album of Debbie's. I also recomend "Electric Youth" and "Out Of the Blue".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson
Greatest Hits: Debbie Gibson by Debbie Gibson (Audio CD - 1995)