5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've ever heard.
It's a shame that Big Wreck is no longer. Though Ian's new band "Thornley" is still good it's just not the same.
Published on May 13 2005 by Antonio Giusto

3.0 out of 5 stars Reaching For the Sugar
After hearing "The Oaf", I had high hopes for this CD. Unfortunately, the rest of the tunes don't live up to the opening cut. The second track "That Song" could have been a winner but ended up droning off in endled repetition. While the members of Big Wreck have the ability to perform, they seem to lack the capability of writing top notch songs...
Published on June 4 2001 by Tis JustMe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've ever heard., May 13 2005
Antonio Giusto (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
"In Loving Memory Of" is in my mind a masterpeice. I've had this CD since the fisrt week or so it came out. I remember I was browsing in a music store and the lady that worked there was playing this CD. After only hearing "Look What I Found" and "That Song" I grabbed this CD off the shelf immedietly and purchased it. To this day I still sing along to each song. My love for this album has only grown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time coming, June 1 2000
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
I bought this album on a whim after hearing "The Oaf" on the radio and finding it amusing. After hearing "Oaf" I figured the album would be equal parts Weezer and The Who and something catchy for the player. After buying the album, I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's so refreshing to hear heavy guitars layered over strong melodies. Thornley plays and sings his cheeks off and his songwriting would seem to indicate the beginning of something special. I find myself checking amazon at least twice a week wondering when their second album is due to be released. When it is, I will be at the record store at Midnight, mingling with the teenies, hoping Big Wreck isn't too close to the Backstreet Boys section. Do yourself a huge favor; skip the massage and work out the kinks to the blissful sounds of Big Wreck!

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK AND ROLL FROM THE SOUL, Feb. 17 2001
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
Now here's a band from way up North who didn't give a damn about what the pop charts say. These guys have created a sound of their own no matter how much it brings you back the days of rock and roll before hip-hop was ever in some record company executives vocabulary. Their music is pure soul expressed through electrified instruments. The music has a tempo to it that gets your attention in the right way. It's a natural rhythm that just makes sense. It's real guys playing real instruments telling a story in a very musical way. This album is as much a pleasure to listen to as anything ever put out by Led Zepplin two decades ago. Buy it, listen to it every once in a while and keep it forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally....something original AND worthy of your ear., Sept. 16 2000
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
These guys obviously put a great deal of effort into this work. There are smackings of several different musical styles here, and Big Wreck have pulled off the impressive trick of cooking it all up into a flavorful gumbo of sound that you're not likely to mistake for anyone else. At the same time, they have enough rock-bottom elements in their music to be accessible to most anyone who stumbles across them. Watch out for their next album---Big Wreck could very well become a force to reckoned with in modern rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Aug. 17 2000
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this album. I only wish I'd found it sooner! Anyone who even remotely likes "Blown Wide Open", "That Song", "The Oaf", or "Under The Lighthouse" will probably like the rest of the CD. I just can't get enough of Ian's beautiful voice and the amazing music behind it. A truly worthwhile investment. The next album is eagerly awaited!

5.0 out of 5 stars The CD you WISH Soundgarden had made after "SuperUnknown":, Dec 19 2002
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
Well, well...where to begin? This is a monster debut, complete with a monster sound that is based around a monster drumbeat, monster vocals, a monster Joe Perry-esque slide guitar and the ultimate monster instrument, the 12-string bass guitar(!!!)
All of the songs are terrific, reminiscent of any of a number of bands that you might have heard before. The good news is that all of those bands are extremely good. Led Zeppelin is the obvious comparison, but Soundgarden is who they remind me the most of (although you can hear equal traces of the Cure in some of the more pop-oriented tunes on this CD, specifically "That Song").
I must say that this band probably isn't going to get the exposure they're due, a crime I blame mainly on the music industry's inability to actively market anything save the most blatantly saccharine pop crap; I first heard this CD when it was sent out as a promo to the music store where I worked back in '97, and I've not heard anything else about the band since. But this is one of those bands that you listen to and recommend to your friends (assuming you all appreciate great rock music) and they all say "These guys are great; why haven't we heard more about them?" Check it out; this is definitely a worthy addition to your music collection and another terrific Canadian import a la' The Tea Party's "Transmission" from the same year.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Must Like Rock&Roll to Buy This Album, Nov. 23 2001
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
That's all you need to do. If you like Rap, you won't like this album. If you like Backstreet Boys, you won't like this album. But if you enjoy Matchbox 20, Tea Party, Tonic, Dishwalla, Duncan Sheik, you should buy this album. At least download a song or two. Get Blown Wide Open. The Oaf. Under The Lighthouse. Anything. I am urging you to give this band a try. Damn it, you will be that much better off with this album.
It takes you through all the stages that an album should. It hits you at first with the ultra-feel good: The Oaf and then moves into That Song and brings you down to a low point with Under The Lighthouse and then brings you right back up. This album was perfectly produced and I've seen this band live twice and I'm thankfull to have this album on those days where everything goes wrong.(Your car breaks down, a fight with the girlfriend, you break your favorite mug, you burn yourself on the stove.) It clears the junk out of your life and makes you realize that everything is just a memory of......

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian is masterful!, March 2 1999
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
The boys from Berklee (School of Music) are a collective genius. Not only are each of these songs well-crafted, but they are so perfectly aligned on the album. The series of ups and downs, jams and grooves, thrashes and solaces bring the listener to sonic orgasm over and over, especially in the ultra-climactic last tune "Overemphasizing." I've rarely taken interest in a brand new band, especially not to the extent which I am into Big Wreck. They toured the Southeast last summer and fall and I was grateful to catch them on three separate occasions. The first two shows rocked my world but were unfortunately close together and slightly repetitive. They opened with Fall Through the Cracks both times, which is an excellent adrenaline pumper for the start of a show. But the third time they did something that Dave the bassist told me they'd only done a few times, and only started doing again the last time I saw them: they opened with The Oaf. I was so surprised because I didn't realize they were even starting the show till Ian started wailing. Also, what blew me away was their encoring. They covered Skynyrd's "Simple Man!" They also covered Zeppelin. Both of these are no easy task, but Big Wreck owned the rights to these tunes when they played them. If you don't buy this CD based on word of mouth, go see them live and let the band make the decision for you. Take it from a pocket-book Brando: this is definitive modern rock, knocking on the door of progressive rock, while pondering classic rock. These guys should be around for a long time. After all, you don't major in music and form an immediate band just so you can break up soonafter and go direct an orchestra, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST ROCK & ROLL IN YEARS, Oct. 19 1998
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
This is the best rock and roll album out now, and in some years. The first song on the album The Oaf starts out with a soft guitar part and explodes into a great rock song. That Song follows with what I think is the best lyrics on the album. Example is as follows: So I always get nostalgic with that song/ But in my room it's forced/ It has to be in some car across the street/ And I always catch the back of your head in the crowd/ But don't turn around/ It's never you and you'll ruin those memories. Now if that doesn't perk up you ears and make you listen, than I don't know what will. Even though I think every song on this album is a instant classic, the following really sticks out. Blown Wide Open, is a powerful song both in music and lyrics. Another one that stands out is Fall Through The Cracks, with a bassline and kick drum beat that will put a pounding in your heart. The other one is Prayer which is just plan and simple Rock & Roll. I recommend everyone go get In Loving Memory Of...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 3 Years Later., Aug. 2 2000
This review is from: In Loving Memory of (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album, and reamains so even almost 3 years after its release. There is no shortage of great tunes on this disc, the ultimate being That Song and The Oaf. These guys put on great live shows, and one can only hope their upcoming album (due for release in the fall of 2000) will be as good as In Loving Memory Of... and worth the wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In Loving Memory of
In Loving Memory of by Big Wreck (Audio CD - 1997)