march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 13, 2005
It's a shame that Big Wreck is no longer. Though Ian's new band "Thornley" is still good it's just not the same.
"In Loving Memory Of" is in my mind a masterpeice. I've had this CD since the fisrt week or so it came out. I remember I was browsing in a music store and the lady that worked there was playing this CD. After only hearing "Look What I Found" and "That Song" I grabbed this CD off the shelf immedietly and purchased it. To this day I still sing along to each song. My love for this album has only grown.
on September 16, 2000
These guys obviously put a great deal of effort into this work. There are smackings of several different musical styles here, and Big Wreck have pulled off the impressive trick of cooking it all up into a flavorful gumbo of sound that you're not likely to mistake for anyone else. At the same time, they have enough rock-bottom elements in their music to be accessible to most anyone who stumbles across them. Watch out for their next album---Big Wreck could very well become a force to reckoned with in modern rock.
on June 1, 2000
I bought this album on a whim after hearing "The Oaf" on the radio and finding it amusing. After hearing "Oaf" I figured the album would be equal parts Weezer and The Who and something catchy for the player. After buying the album, I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's so refreshing to hear heavy guitars layered over strong melodies. Thornley plays and sings his cheeks off and his songwriting would seem to indicate the beginning of something special. I find myself checking amazon at least twice a week wondering when their second album is due to be released. When it is, I will be at the record store at Midnight, mingling with the teenies, hoping Big Wreck isn't too close to the Backstreet Boys section. Do yourself a huge favor; skip the massage and work out the kinks to the blissful sounds of Big Wreck!
on February 17, 2001
Now here's a band from way up North who didn't give a damn about what the pop charts say. These guys have created a sound of their own no matter how much it brings you back the days of rock and roll before hip-hop was ever in some record company executives vocabulary. Their music is pure soul expressed through electrified instruments. The music has a tempo to it that gets your attention in the right way. It's a natural rhythm that just makes sense. It's real guys playing real instruments telling a story in a very musical way. This album is as much a pleasure to listen to as anything ever put out by Led Zepplin two decades ago. Buy it, listen to it every once in a while and keep it forever.
on October 19, 1998
This is the best rock and roll album out now, and in some years. The first song on the album The Oaf starts out with a soft guitar part and explodes into a great rock song. That Song follows with what I think is the best lyrics on the album. Example is as follows: So I always get nostalgic with that song/ But in my room it's forced/ It has to be in some car across the street/ And I always catch the back of your head in the crowd/ But don't turn around/ It's never you and you'll ruin those memories. Now if that doesn't perk up you ears and make you listen, than I don't know what will. Even though I think every song on this album is a instant classic, the following really sticks out. Blown Wide Open, is a powerful song both in music and lyrics. Another one that stands out is Fall Through The Cracks, with a bassline and kick drum beat that will put a pounding in your heart. The other one is Prayer which is just plan and simple Rock & Roll. I recommend everyone go get In Loving Memory Of...
on August 20, 1998
I'm a rock fan and I always have been. In the last year or so the music on the radio has been thin and tired, and nothing is sticking. And not just in rock, but in all musical genres. Everyone is a one-hit wonder or the latest in a fad. Nothing endures. I was in despair because when the music industry is in unrest, so am I. I used to think that the only way I could listen to good rock any more was to pick up all of the old led zep albums and other albums that were all at least 5 years old. But then I discovered these guys. They are eaily as good as U2's The Joshua Tree , but combined with classic, howlin' blues riffs from Muddy Waters. They are incredible! They know what good, solid songwriting consists of, and this album shows so much promise for the future. These guys are the future of rock and of music as a whole. I can't wait for their next album!!!
on October 13, 1998
The first half or so of this CD, up until about the 9th track is, IMHO, amazing. In a phrase, it jams. The last few tracks, however, demonstrate the room this band has to grow. It's not as strong as the first few songs, and doesn't roll off the speakers with quite the enthusiasm. However, if this album is any indication, these highly talented young men have a great musical future ahead of them.
The lead vocals have moments of Bono (U2), Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), Mike Farris (Screaming Cheetah Wheelies), and Kevin McKinney (Soulhat), with the guitar, drums, and bass work combining elements of all those bands.
If you enjoy gritty Austin blues rock, then this album is worth checking out.
on August 17, 2000
I absolutely love this album. I only wish I'd found it sooner! Anyone who even remotely likes "Blown Wide Open", "That Song", "The Oaf", or "Under The Lighthouse" will probably like the rest of the CD. I just can't get enough of Ian's beautiful voice and the amazing music behind it. A truly worthwhile investment. The next album is eagerly awaited!
on August 2, 2000
This is a fantastic album, and reamains so even almost 3 years after its release. There is no shortage of great tunes on this disc, the ultimate being That Song and The Oaf. These guys put on great live shows, and one can only hope their upcoming album (due for release in the fall of 2000) will be as good as In Loving Memory Of... and worth the wait.
on October 23, 2000
It has been a long time since I have heard something worthy of my ears. This album is musically perfect, but everyone still talks about "The Oaf", or "That Song", they are great yes, but the best of the best comes from the last song, "Overemphasizing". That song and that song alone makes this the best cd of the 90's.