5.0 out of 5 stars In a word: Extraordinary
Gordon Lightfoot released a string of superlative albums between 1970 and 1976 for Warner/Reprise; Sundown is definitely one of the real standouts. From the relaxed, almost serene feel of the previous album (Old Dan's Records), Sundown (released in 1974) makes a sudden departure in mood. Many of the songs deal with moving and with restlessness. And yet, it's not the...
Published on June 18 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid, not great.
The title track is naturally the "big draw" here, but arguably the strongest tunes are "Seven Island Suite," and the dreamy "Watchman's Gone," which features some of the best guitar work on the album. Interestingly, "High and Dry" is essentially played to the tune of "Summertime Dream," with a lyrical swap.
If you...
Published on Aug. 16 1999 by Marc Dickmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Aug. 24 2001
"bfishcat" (Sound Beach, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I had always heard a few of Gord's tunes on the radio and always enjoyed them. On a whim I went out and picked this cd up, since my wife and I began to listen to "Gord's Gold" on a pretty frequent basis. It was time to expand the collection a bit. The first time I heard this cd in it's entirity, I remember thinking how unbelievable it was, and still is. There is not one bad song on this cd. Among my favorites are "Seven Island Suite" and "Circle of Steel". Really, not one bad tune in the bunch. If you enjoy music in general, this is a good choice. Great sound, great performance. It doesn't get much better than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightfoot at his most confident, Sept. 13 2012
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
This is Gord's most commercially successful album and certainly some of his best work - possibly his very best (although I have a slight preference for Don Quixote and Summer Side of Life). The sound of Sundown is an extension of what he was developing in Old Dan's Records. You can't really call it folk anymore. It borders on country, but without the steel guitar that would show up on his next few albums. To me, Sundown is unique in the Lightfoot library because of the confidence and frankness with which he sings. This almost provocative sound results in some of his most memorable lines. Listen to the criticism of urban life in "Seven Island Suite", his frustration with hopeless low-lifes in "Circle of Steel", and his jealous reprimand of an unfaithful lover in the classic "Sundown". My personal favourite track on the album is "The Watchman's Gone", a simple song about a transient parting with an acquaintance before jumping aboard a train while the watchman is busy "kickin' the bums about". Lightfoot's "theme" of frankness and dissatisfaction is again evident in the line "Whatever I was, you know it was all because/I've been on the town washin' the bull***t down". I like to think that this relates to why Gord has fallen from public consciousness in recent years. Popular culture doesn't reward the truly authentic. It rewards the bull***t.

In Summary: the music is relatively simple on Sundown, the talk is straight, the hits are there, and the talent is incomparable.

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 Years Later, Feb. 3 2000
Dave (Lewistown, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I first bought Sundown when it was hot of the presses in 1974. Many of the albums that I bought in that same time frame has been collecting dust for a good number of years. Sundown has not. I believe Sundown to be the enduring work of one of the greatest folk artists of our time. I have collected many of Gordon Lightfoot's records, however,Sundown is the one that I continue today. It captured the sense of my wanderlust when I was 19 and allows me to recall joyous events of my youth with Sundown playing in the backround. The music is simply ageless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, Oct. 29 2000
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I was born after this album was released and was raised to it playing in the background. I have great memories of these melodies playing throughout my childhood and I am still making new memories to the likes of Sundown and Bitter Green. What better way to grow up than to the sounds of soft passion? I rate this album as one of the best of all time. Always good to calm the spirit and enlighten the soul

5.0 out of 5 stars The rating says it all!!!, Oct. 15 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
This album is simply the best Gordon Lightfoot has put out. The second half, which you can't sample, is his best. "The Watchman's Gone," "Sundown," and "Carefree Highway" are three of his best. "Somewhere U.S.A." is also classic Gordon. Buy this and you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing less than great., Feb. 6 2000
Mike Knizeski (Norwich, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I was turned on to this album by a great friend in college way back in 1978. Whenever I listen to the album these days, I am always taken back by the freshness of the music. Gordon Lightfoot knows how to sing, play a guitar and write classic music. Thank you Gordon and thank you Mary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightfoot at his best, Sept. 9 2003
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
The Watchman's Gone is the best Lightfoot tune ever, yet I never heard it played on air. I always wonder whether Lightfoot himself knows how good it is, as you see him performing the tired old songs that made it as hits over and over again. The prophet knows not his greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER PERFECT SCORE, Feb. 18 2002
Scott Johnson "jilm2" (Ada, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
One more perfect album from an artist not too many people are familiar with. Gordon usually does excellent work, and this is more proof (the only negative part is his difficult to understand Canadian accent). Thank you to whomever decided to reissue his material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too bad, Too bad, May 29 2000
Peter Beamer (Grover Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
Too bad about the Edmund Fitzgerald. Too bad about John Belushi who died from an overdose of heroin and cocaine administered by Cathy Evelin Smith (backup singer on High and Dry) Lightfoot's girlfriend at the time. Belushi was funny but not very smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 24 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I've been looking for a copy of the album I used to own. I played it so many times, it's of no use anymore. I'm glad I was able to find the CD on Amazon. I'm sure I'll play it as much now as I did when I bought the ablum in 1974.

Sundown
Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot (Audio CD - 1987)