5.0 out of 5 stars Top Form for a master
Gordon Lightfoot has always been known to take great care in assembling an album, here is an example of the rewards of perfectionism. Sure, the album boasts 3 hits, but there's so much more beyond them. This is truly the most atmospheric piece that Lightfoot has done. Songs like "Seven Island Suite" almost take you to the astral plane while the jubilance of...
Published on Aug. 24 2003 by Brian Kious

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid, not great.
The title track is naturally the "big draw" here, but arguably the strongest tunes are "Seven Island Suite," and the dreamy "Watchman's Gone," which features some of the best guitar work on the album. Interestingly, "High and Dry" is essentially played to the tune of "Summertime Dream," with a lyrical swap.
If you...
Published on Aug. 16 1999 by Marc Dickmann

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER PERFECT SCORE, Feb. 18 2002
Scott Johnson "jilm2" (Ada, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
One more perfect album from an artist not too many people are familiar with. Gordon usually does excellent work, and this is more proof (the only negative part is his difficult to understand Canadian accent). Thank you to whomever decided to reissue his material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Aug. 24 2001
"bfishcat" (Sound Beach, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I had always heard a few of Gord's tunes on the radio and always enjoyed them. On a whim I went out and picked this cd up, since my wife and I began to listen to "Gord's Gold" on a pretty frequent basis. It was time to expand the collection a bit. The first time I heard this cd in it's entirity, I remember thinking how unbelievable it was, and still is. There is not one bad song on this cd. Among my favorites are "Seven Island Suite" and "Circle of Steel". Really, not one bad tune in the bunch. If you enjoy music in general, this is a good choice. Great sound, great performance. It doesn't get much better than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deja Vu, June 6 2001
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I bought the disk this evening, and to my surprise I knew every song on it. I must have owned the 8 track of it in the mid 70's. I am a little biased because I am a guitar player but the guitar work by Red Shea on Sundown is classic. A guitar solo should tell a story within the context of the song. Red's solo does this and much more. This has got to be among the most recognizable solos of all time. Easily among my 10 favorite guitar solos. Brilliant. The lyrics are very, very cool, and so is the music. The rest of the disk is great listening. The Lyrics tell a story and take you into someone else's world. The music supports the storylines and makes for some very laid back and enjoyable music. It is time to learn the guitar solo note for note. Long live Powers Run, Pgh PA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, Oct. 29 2000
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I was born after this album was released and was raised to it playing in the background. I have great memories of these melodies playing throughout my childhood and I am still making new memories to the likes of Sundown and Bitter Green. What better way to grow up than to the sounds of soft passion? I rate this album as one of the best of all time. Always good to calm the spirit and enlighten the soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightfoot Is Simply Terrific, As Usual!, Aug. 5 2000
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I laughed when I saw one of the earlier reviewers had referred to this album is good but not terrific. While I strongly disagree with that estimation of the effort here, what occurred to me was the simple fact that over a fifteen period, Gordon Lightfoot produced so many superior albums populated by such uniformly outstanding songs that we've become inured to the fact that he is such a singular, talented and singular talent. Every single song on the album is extremely well executed, and the arrangements are stunning, from the opening "Somewhere USA" into the upbeat "High And Dry" on into "Seven Island Suite, a captivating, poetically versed, and thoughtfully complex song one had to hear in its entirety to truly appreciate. "Circle Of Steel" uses a deceptively simple and lovely melody to take a sympathetic and compassionate look at the social issues of the day, and the ways in which our ordinary troubles complicate themselves, continuing from one generation to the next. A number of popular hits are here, including "Sundown" and "Carefree Highway', as is his lovely and pensive "Too Late For Praying". Gordon is an incredibly talented singer/songwriter who is in the process of leaving us dozens of terrific albums for our continuing entertainment and edification. This is certainly one oif the best of them. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Biased Review, July 31 2000
Al Bevens (Louisville, Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I have been a faithful fan of Gord's since his 1972 release of If You Could Read My Mind as a single. Since then, I have bought practically everything he has done. On Sundown Lightfoot is at the top of his game, both as a singer and as a songwriter. The title track is a perennial favorite, but Lightfoot also offers us a soft ballad like Too Late for Prayin', and a railroad tune that pulses like train wheels over joints in the track (The Watchman's Gone). Lightfoot transports us to some dark and almost-too-cool-bar in Somewhere U.S.A., then uses that precise lilting style of shuffle he uses there to allow us to slip down the Carefree Highway he's known in his imagination. He talks of loneliness when he asks a young lady if she'll be the one to check "a little lovin'" off his The List for the night. I wish the company execs would release two other of Gord's Warner/Reprise albums on CD, Old Dan's Records and Salute. But in the meantime I'll satisfy myself that in owning If You Could Read My Mind and Sundown, I already have plenty of Lightfoot listening satisfaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too bad, Too bad, May 29 2000
Peter Beamer (Grover Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
Too bad about the Edmund Fitzgerald. Too bad about John Belushi who died from an overdose of heroin and cocaine administered by Cathy Evelin Smith (backup singer on High and Dry) Lightfoot's girlfriend at the time. Belushi was funny but not very smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be called Gord's Greatest!, March 27 2000
Joseph Collins (Ringwood NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
This is a MUST-Have CD and that is why I bought the CD since my LP wore out (if only it had the Auctioneer on it, another classic Lightfoot song).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing less than great., Feb. 6 2000
Mike Knizeski (Norwich, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I was turned on to this album by a great friend in college way back in 1978. Whenever I listen to the album these days, I am always taken back by the freshness of the music. Gordon Lightfoot knows how to sing, play a guitar and write classic music. Thank you Gordon and thank you Mary.

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 Years Later, Feb. 4 2000
Dave (Lewistown, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I first bought Sundown when it was hot of the presses in 1974. Many of the albums that I bought in that same time frame has been collecting dust for a good number of years. Sundown has not. I believe Sundown to be the enduring work of one of the greatest folk artists of our time. I have collected many of Gordon Lightfoot's records, however,Sundown is the one that I continue today. It captured the sense of my wanderlust when I was 19 and allows me to recall joyous events of my youth with Sundown playing in the backround. The music is simply ageless.

ARRAY(0xc0eb0de0)

Sundown
Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot (Audio CD - 1987)