5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favourite Lightfoot album
Published 10 months ago by BDonohue

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this album - there are now better alternatives
I've owned this CD for over 15 years, but there are far better alternatives available on the market today.
Published on Aug. 20 2003 by sunspot42x

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this album - there are now better alternatives, Aug. 20 2003
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Lightfoot started out on United Artists records back in the late '60s, switching to Warners in the early '70s after some initial chart success, where he became a superstar with hits like "Sundown" and "Carefree Highway". Warners released the double-LP Gord's Gold at the peak of his career in 1975. The LP contained both his new Warners hits along with some of his United Artists classics, but the UA tracks were all re-recorded with his 1975 band and producers.
Apart from the hits ("Beautiful," "Rainy Day People," and my favorite, "If You Could Read My Mind," plus the two tracks mentioned above), I never much cared for the remaining tracks on the record. It never occurred to me it might have something to do with the recordings, and not the songs themselves. After all, that band and those producers worked so well for hits like "Sundown." However, since Gord's Gold was released before his biggest hit, "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald," I was always on the lookout for some other, preferably remastered compilation that included it as well.
Rhino records has finally released the definitive single-disc Gordon Lightfoot CD. It's called, fittingly enough, Complete Greatest Hits, and it features material expertly remastered by Rhino's studio wizard Bill Inglot. Inglot tends to use a pretty heavy hand in my experience, liberally re-equalizing and processing tracks, but in side-by-side comparisons the Warners tracks on Complete Greatest Hits sound pretty close to those on Gord's Gold. They're brighter and cleaner, but that may have more to do with improvements in analog to digital converters in the 20 or so years since Gord's Gold was transferred to CD than any studio trickery by Inglot.
The real improvement over Gord's Gold comes from the fact that Complete Greatest Hits utilizes the original United Artists recordings of Lightfoot's earlier material, and what a phenomenal improvement they are! Many people have complained about the strings his 1975 producers added to Lightfoot's re-recordings of his UA tracks, but in my opinion those were the least of the problems (I have a high tolerance for syrupy strings - can't get enough of 'em, if I think they fit). The biggest problem with the re-recordings are Lightfoot's vocals, which sound somewhat affected to my ear, as if he were trying to sing them in a "country and western" style to match those on his then-recent hits. While that style of singing works well for "Sundown," it's terrible on tracks like "Early Morning Rain," and "For Lovin' Me." I never paid any attention to either track on Gord's Gold, but on Complete Greatest Hits they're both standouts, with wonderful vocals and lively folk accompaniment.
Complete Greatest Hits also includes some of Lightfoot's later hits, including "Race Among The Ruins" and of course "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald." There's really absolutely no reason to buy Gord's Gold anymore, since most of the tracks on Gord's Gold are now available on Complete Greatest Hits, are available in their original, superior versions and sound better, too. Avoid Gord's Gold - it's certainly not golden anymore - and pickup a copy of Rhino's excellent Complete Greatest Hits instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favourite Lightfoot album, June 16 2013
BDonohue (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
It seems that some people are a little hard on this album because Lightfoot re-recorded some well known early hits but I found myself liking the redone versions better than the original version probably because the songs seemed more matured and relaxed. The only omission is The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but that hit came after the release of this album. No other collection of Lightfoot hits sits as well with me than this collection. IMHO,if you only owned one Lightfoot album, this is the one to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Collection, Oct. 2 2012
Peter Gueckel (Calgary AB Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
This is a good collection of Lightfoot's hits. It has the greatest of them all, with the glaring omission of Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Tony Rice does it on his tribute, Sings Gordon Lightfoot, but you could also get more of Gordon Lightfoot's originals.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Gordon Lightfoot from the Seventies, June 2 2002
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
The best collections of hit songs by a particular artist are those where you pick it up so you can have songs you already know and love, but then you discover some songs that you have never heard before, which are just as good. For me, "Gord's Gold" is certainly one of those albums. I saw Gordon Lightfoot in concert around the time "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was atop the charts and I bought "Gord's Gold" to have some of his earlier hits, particularly "Sundown," and the ethereal "If You Could Read My Mind." What I discovered was that I really like the even earlier Lightfoot, especially "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." Part of the joy of listening to this album is really discovering the artist. I would have said that Lightfoot was singing a couple of Peter, Paul & Mary songs, but, of course, it was the other way around and he was the one who wrote "Early Morning Rain" and "For Lovin' Me" (which is done as a nice medley with "Did She Mention My Name" on this album). Gordon Lightfoot is an artist with both breadth and depth, as this collection and the follow-up album amply prove. Even if you have those early albums, this one features re-recordings of these songs, allowing you to enjoy the nuances Lightfoot brought to singing his earlier work in later years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Songs - Poor Quality., March 18 2003
W. Grandy (windsor, nova scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Gordon Lightfoot is without a doubt a great songwriter but the quality of this cd is terrible. It's no better than a mediocre cassette. The high frequency is clipped causing it to sound flat.
'Sundown' is one of my favourite Lightfoot songs but all these selections show a sensitivity not found too much these days. The only remastered album I can find is an import which doesn't have most of his material I like. Oh well - if this gets remastered, I'll buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treasure, Sept. 15 2010
Gerald Guzzo (Ottawa, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
This is a real treasure filled with great songs and vocals that reach out to talk to you. These are the songs I have always loved. It's great to have so many in one package. My only quibble is the re-recording of Gord's United Artist records which launched his career. The Lee Holdridge sessions (songs 1-9) seem pale in comparison to the UA recordings which had an originality and impact that really caught your ear. That being said, the Lee Holdridge sessions are still very good and the set would be poorer without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gord's Gold, Feb. 7 2006
David Taylor (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
As a fan of Gordon Lightfoot dating back to his pre-recording days appearing at the Riverboat in Yorkville Village in Toronto, I find myself digging this CD out more often in the past few months. While I have in my collection all of the original CDs (as well as most of them in vinyl as well), this collection containing most of the great songs from the early UA albums in the re-recorded format represent to me the many changes that Gord has undergone through the years. Much like an earlier reviewer, the version of Canadian Railroad Trilogy contained in this collection is, I think, Gordon Lightfoot at his very best.
While it's very easy to criticize re-recordings from any artist, I find that each of these has its own charm; its own character and I tend to look at each of them as gems. While most artists couldn't carry it off, Gord does.
Having just seen him live this past week, this was the CD that I pulled out and played in my car for the next few days. It represents all that is good about Gordon Lightfoot; both the old and the new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gord is Golden, June 29 2004
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
This was the first Gordon Lightfoot album that I ever heard. Enough said. I was hooked after that. He is such a talented song writer, and he is so easy to relate to, especially if you are a guy. What guy doesn't like For Lovin' Me? I mean, come on, in my experience, it has always been the other way arround, and I am the one who gets my heart broke, not the girl, but it still Awesome to think that I was the one who is breaking all the hearts! This collection is truly timeless and is one of my favorite albums to be sure. Give it a listen, and you may get pulled in by his beautiful, poetic ballads and his snappy little rhythms.

4.0 out of 5 stars the best of easy listening, March 23 2004
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
As a die-hard-yet-casual fan of Gordon's, I have loved this album for probably about 7 years. I like to recommend Lightfoot to those who have not heard him, but I don't really find myself going out and buying all of his original albums. So the compilation suits me just fine. Lightfoot is perfect "remember when" music. Every song makes me think of a certain time or place ... regardless of whether or not I heard that song in that exact time or place. Favorites from the album (not too surprising) are: "If You Could Read My Mind," "Sundown," and "Song for a Winter's Night." I also highly recommend, "Carefree Highway," "Canadian Railroad Trilogy," and "Beautiful."
In short, if you're looking for something easy to listen to, and easy to relax to, Gordon's your guy. Perfect for a mellow, folky day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kippewa, Quebec, summers, 1970s through the 80s..., March 21 2004
A. Ort "aorto" (Youngstown, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
I wish I could give this 100 stars. Really. When I was young, our family would drive north for some twenty hours to a remote cabin in the Kippewa wilderness. We'd listen to this on 8 track in the family station wagon.
Where we stayed electricity was generated and shut off at nine p.m. We'd play this album (along with Eagles, Jimmy Buffett's early stuff and some albums that have remained tops on my list) by battery power on (what was cool at the time) the portable 8 track player under the warm glow of candlelight.
Some of my fondest memories of youth are inextricably tied to this very album. It never ceases to remind me of the Canadian wilderness, kicking back on the rocks by the side of the never ending body of water, listening to the glorious sounds of the natural world.
Nothing fancy, no theatrics, just good ol' storytelling with acoustic accompaniment. Lots of acoustic guitar and lyrics that place you in the story. It's a great place to start (and a great place to stay if you ask me!).

ARRAY(0xb286f8e8)

Gord's Gold
Gord's Gold by Gordon Lightfoot (Audio CD - 1987)