5.0 out of 5 stars Gord's Gold
Published on Feb. 7 2006 by David Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this album - there are now better alternatives
I've owned this CD for over 15 years, but there are far better alternatives available on the market today.
Published on Aug. 20 2003 by sunspot42x

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this album - there are now better alternatives, Aug. 20 2003
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Lightfoot started out on United Artists records back in the late '60s, switching to Warners in the early '70s after some initial chart success, where he became a superstar with hits like "Sundown" and "Carefree Highway". Warners released the double-LP Gord's Gold at the peak of his career in 1975. The LP contained both his new Warners hits along with some of his United Artists classics, but the UA tracks were all re-recorded with his 1975 band and producers.
Apart from the hits ("Beautiful," "Rainy Day People," and my favorite, "If You Could Read My Mind," plus the two tracks mentioned above), I never much cared for the remaining tracks on the record. It never occurred to me it might have something to do with the recordings, and not the songs themselves. After all, that band and those producers worked so well for hits like "Sundown." However, since Gord's Gold was released before his biggest hit, "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald," I was always on the lookout for some other, preferably remastered compilation that included it as well.
Rhino records has finally released the definitive single-disc Gordon Lightfoot CD. It's called, fittingly enough, Complete Greatest Hits, and it features material expertly remastered by Rhino's studio wizard Bill Inglot. Inglot tends to use a pretty heavy hand in my experience, liberally re-equalizing and processing tracks, but in side-by-side comparisons the Warners tracks on Complete Greatest Hits sound pretty close to those on Gord's Gold. They're brighter and cleaner, but that may have more to do with improvements in analog to digital converters in the 20 or so years since Gord's Gold was transferred to CD than any studio trickery by Inglot.
The real improvement over Gord's Gold comes from the fact that Complete Greatest Hits utilizes the original United Artists recordings of Lightfoot's earlier material, and what a phenomenal improvement they are! Many people have complained about the strings his 1975 producers added to Lightfoot's re-recordings of his UA tracks, but in my opinion those were the least of the problems (I have a high tolerance for syrupy strings - can't get enough of 'em, if I think they fit). The biggest problem with the re-recordings are Lightfoot's vocals, which sound somewhat affected to my ear, as if he were trying to sing them in a "country and western" style to match those on his then-recent hits. While that style of singing works well for "Sundown," it's terrible on tracks like "Early Morning Rain," and "For Lovin' Me." I never paid any attention to either track on Gord's Gold, but on Complete Greatest Hits they're both standouts, with wonderful vocals and lively folk accompaniment.
Complete Greatest Hits also includes some of Lightfoot's later hits, including "Race Among The Ruins" and of course "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald." There's really absolutely no reason to buy Gord's Gold anymore, since most of the tracks on Gord's Gold are now available on Complete Greatest Hits, are available in their original, superior versions and sound better, too. Avoid Gord's Gold - it's certainly not golden anymore - and pickup a copy of Rhino's excellent Complete Greatest Hits instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Songs - Poor Quality., March 18 2003
W. Grandy (windsor, nova scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Gordon Lightfoot is without a doubt a great songwriter but the quality of this cd is terrible. It's no better than a mediocre cassette. The high frequency is clipped causing it to sound flat.
'Sundown' is one of my favourite Lightfoot songs but all these selections show a sensitivity not found too much these days. The only remastered album I can find is an import which doesn't have most of his material I like. Oh well - if this gets remastered, I'll buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gord's Gold, Feb. 7 2006
David Taylor (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
As a fan of Gordon Lightfoot dating back to his pre-recording days appearing at the Riverboat in Yorkville Village in Toronto, I find myself digging this CD out more often in the past few months. While I have in my collection all of the original CDs (as well as most of them in vinyl as well), this collection containing most of the great songs from the early UA albums in the re-recorded format represent to me the many changes that Gord has undergone through the years. Much like an earlier reviewer, the version of Canadian Railroad Trilogy contained in this collection is, I think, Gordon Lightfoot at his very best.
While it's very easy to criticize re-recordings from any artist, I find that each of these has its own charm; its own character and I tend to look at each of them as gems. While most artists couldn't carry it off, Gord does.
Having just seen him live this past week, this was the CD that I pulled out and played in my car for the next few days. It represents all that is good about Gordon Lightfoot; both the old and the new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kippewa, Quebec, summers, 1970s through the 80s..., March 21 2004
A. Ort "aorto" (Youngstown, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
I wish I could give this 100 stars. Really. When I was young, our family would drive north for some twenty hours to a remote cabin in the Kippewa wilderness. We'd listen to this on 8 track in the family station wagon.
Where we stayed electricity was generated and shut off at nine p.m. We'd play this album (along with Eagles, Jimmy Buffett's early stuff and some albums that have remained tops on my list) by battery power on (what was cool at the time) the portable 8 track player under the warm glow of candlelight.
Some of my fondest memories of youth are inextricably tied to this very album. It never ceases to remind me of the Canadian wilderness, kicking back on the rocks by the side of the never ending body of water, listening to the glorious sounds of the natural world.
Nothing fancy, no theatrics, just good ol' storytelling with acoustic accompaniment. Lots of acoustic guitar and lyrics that place you in the story. It's a great place to start (and a great place to stay if you ask me!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of Lightfoot, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Had this best of album been done after Summertime Dream it would have encompassed Lightfoot's best recordings. However, as it stands Gord's Gold is a fantastic overview of the first decade of Lightfoot's career.
The first half of the CD contains his earlier work from the UA label. They're all re-recorded versions and while this may annoy purists it does create a seemless listening experience by updating the early recordings to his current sound. The second half of the CD is his work for Warner Bros and contains such well known hits as "Sundown", "If You Could Read My Mind" and "Carefree Highway".
Overall, this disc is extremely hard to fault. None of the songs seem out of place and there are no annoying ommissions, something which is frequent with best of albums. It is essential that you get your hands on the originals of Lightfoot's early work, as well as Summertime Dream (his best stand alone album) but this CD is a fantastic introduction to a wonderful singer and songwriter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, with a few caveats, May 20 2003
Westley (Stuck in my head) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
I'm a casual Gordon Lightfoot fan, so this collection was probably not a good place for me to start. I love his 70s hits, and this set includes "Sundown," "Carefree Highway," and "If You Could Read My Mind." However, as other reviewers have mentioned, this collection was originally released in 1975 and therefore does not include "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." The non-inclusion of that song is a major flaw to a casual fan; big fans of Lightfoot may feel more justified buying other CDs to get that song. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the other music included on the CD. Most of the songs were not hits, but Lightfoot has such a beautiful voice, perfectly suited for gentle 70s songs. Songs 1-9 are re-recorded versions (all re-done in 1975); however, I never heard the original versions, so I don't now whether I'm missing anything. The CD ultimately reminds me a bit of John Denver's early work, in a good way, as they are both 70s singer-songwriters with a bit of pop-folk flair. Overall, a very good CD that is nonetheless missing at least one key track, and it probably has too many non-hits to appeal to casual fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introductory CD, April 4 2003
chefdevergue (Spokane, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
For people such as myself who were only 10-11 when Lightfoot had his big hit with "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," a lot of these songs are just simply unknown. Occasionally you will still hear "Sundown" on the airwaves, but that is about it. Yet we all hear about what a great singer/songwriter Lightfoot is...how are we to discover this talent for ourselves?
For the novice listener such as myself, this CD is a great way to go about it. As many other reviewers have already noted, this album was compiled in 1975, before "Edmund Fitzgerald" was released, so of course that song would not have been included. So quit complaining.
What complaints I do have are the paucity of liner notes. For those of us who don't know much about his earlier work, some more detailed notes on what albums the songs were originally on would have been nice.
Also, Lightfoot's voice seems strangely week and thin on the first half dozen tracks or so, and it makes the songs a little difficult to listen to. I don't know what the circumstances surrounding these recordings were, so it is a bit puzzling. The quality of the voice and production improves dramatically in the second half of the album.
All in all, though, I find this to be a very satisfying CD to listen to. A good CD particularly for Lightfoot novices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the best single-CD Lightfoot compilations, June 18 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Until the recent release of Complete Greatest Hits, this was invariably the album/CD I would recommend to people who were interesting in exploring the music of Gordon Lightfoot. Even though Gord's Gold was released in 1975, and Lightfoot has written and recorded a lot of music since then, it remains an outstanding compilation.
One item about this compilation that is often a point of discussion amongst Lightfoot fans is his decision to re-record his early songs (for those of us old enough to remember LPs, these were the songs on LP #1 of this 2 LP set!). Obviously, I don't know the answer, but I think the principal clue can be found in the two words that close his introductory essay to the Songbook 4-CD boxed set: "Ever onward." Lightfoot has never struck me as an artist interested in dwelling on the past: he's always moving forward. Thus I would guess he re-recorded the early songs principally because he felt the original recordings weren't representative of the musical direction he was following in 1975.
Thus the recordings sound very much like they would have fit on Cold on the Shoulder--his 1975 release--in terms of their musical style, though perhaps not (for the most part) in terms of their content. My only quibble with the re-recordings is that the string arrangements (by Lee Holdridge) are a touch more obtrusive than the strings on Lightfoot's preceding albums from the 70s (principally arranged by Nick DeCaro, though Randy Newman and Bob Thompson were among those who arranged a track here and there). But that's just a personal preference.

The plus side of the re-recordings is that you hear a more mature Lightfoot singing the songs written when he was a much younger man, giving these earlier compositions an extra touch of poignancy and added depth.
The second half of the CD (record #2 from the original LP release!) contains a very good representation of his Warner Brothers/Reprise years through 1975. All the big hits from that period are here ("If You Could Read My Mind," "Sundown," and "Carefree Highway") as well as other popular Lightfoot songs such as "Cotton Jenny," "Beautiful," "Don Quixote," and many more.
Sure, some of your favorites may not be in this set, but let's face it: there is an embarrassment of riches to be found in the period covered by Gord's Gold! There is a short--yet revealing--essay included, as well as photographs of the principal musicians Lightfoot had utilized over the course of his remarkable career to that point in time.
Gord's Gold is a terrific collection of music from a singer/songwriter who had already amassed a remarkable collection of songs and recordings by 1975. This compilation is well worth adding to your CD shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Gordon Lightfoot from the Seventies, June 2 2002
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
The best collections of hit songs by a particular artist are those where you pick it up so you can have songs you already know and love, but then you discover some songs that you have never heard before, which are just as good. For me, "Gord's Gold" is certainly one of those albums. I saw Gordon Lightfoot in concert around the time "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was atop the charts and I bought "Gord's Gold" to have some of his earlier hits, particularly "Sundown," and the ethereal "If You Could Read My Mind." What I discovered was that I really like the even earlier Lightfoot, especially "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." Part of the joy of listening to this album is really discovering the artist. I would have said that Lightfoot was singing a couple of Peter, Paul & Mary songs, but, of course, it was the other way around and he was the one who wrote "Early Morning Rain" and "For Lovin' Me" (which is done as a nice medley with "Did She Mention My Name" on this album). Gordon Lightfoot is an artist with both breadth and depth, as this collection and the follow-up album amply prove. Even if you have those early albums, this one features re-recordings of these songs, allowing you to enjoy the nuances Lightfoot brought to singing his earlier work in later years.

5.0 out of 5 stars What talent!, June 2 2001
3rdeadly3rd (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold (Audio CD)
Before you ask "what is a 15 year old doing reviewing a folk album from this age?" let me tell you. My father is a huge fan of Gordon Lightfoot and always subjected my family to his work on long car trips. Despite the fact that I originally hated the music, the more car trups I went on, the more I grew to love this music and the man who sings it so very well.
"Gord's Gold" is a great introduction to Lightfoot's musical canon. While officially a folk singer, the songs here cannot simply be described as folk songs - to do so would be to insult them. They are mostly ballads of the highest order with influences of traditional folk thrown in.
Perhaps the most striking feature of this album is the almost total absence of a drummer. That seems to be one of Lightfoot's trademarks and it has one very interesting effect. As there is no drummer to carry the music forward, all the other instruments must be played sufficiently well not to sound unfocused - the emphasis is also placed squarely on the singer, and what a singer he is.
Lightfoot's voice gives the impression of being a man of the world - in and out of love, wondering about things and so on. The way he can infuse the most mundane lyrics (not that many of them are mundane) with emotion has to be seen/heard to be believed.
This compilation was originally released after Lightfoot had switched labels and thus had re-recorded versions of his big hits - released originally only in Canada I think. Therefore the songs do sound a bit different to their corresponding titles on the early albums (which are, I think, only available on vinyl) or on the "United Artists Collection" compilation. However, this does not in any way detract from the raw emotion of these songs.
Every track here is great. Among my favourites are "Don Quixote" (a wonderful lyric with a guitar sequence that actually sounds like horse's hooves), "Bitter Green" (with a haunting chorus sung by the backing musicians) and "Carefree Highway" (a wonderfully written song about the breakup of a relationship). That's not to say that these songs outclass the others by any stretch of the imagination - the others are all of comparable class but in other ways.
The other great feature of this album is the fact that Lightfoot's lyrics are so easy to sing along with. Even the worst day at work or school will fade into memory as you find yourself singing the choruses in time with Lightfoot.
I can seriously recommend this album. As can be seen by a 15 year old reviewing it, the album is truly timeless (it was, after all, released before I was born). The sentiments expressed were true then, are true now and will be true many years into the future. You need this album.

Gord's Gold
Gord's Gold by Gordon Lightfoot (Audio CD - 1987)
Click for more info