4.0 out of 5 stars Moondance Deluxe Version (4 cd's and blu-ray)
Published 9 months ago by Paul Dunphy

3.0 out of 5 stars not my van
Okay, he is my Van. But this album is not the style of Van I prefer. I am crazy about him. Yet, this album is not the yearning, contemplative, blues that I yearn for. This is a more extroverted album. Id hate people to listen to this one first, if they want suffering, achy or wise Van at his best.
Published on July 21 2000 by Karin Arndt

4.0 out of 5 stars Moondance Deluxe Version (4 cd's and blu-ray), Oct. 26 2013
You wouldn't be reading this if you didn't think Moondance was a great album. So instead of reviewing the original music or the alternate takes, I'm going to focus on my perception of the sound quality and mix of the 2013 remastered cd, the 192kHz/24Bit high resolution blu-ray, the Japanese manufactured cd and the original North American cd. I don't have a surround processor so I can't comment on the 5.1 mix and I don't have an lp version to comment on either. I bought the Deluxe set specifically to get the high resolution blu-ray, hoping that it would provide the best audio quality.

First things first. The 2013 cd and blu-ray in the Deluxe set are not just a remastering (i.e. cleaner sound, with a little boosting here and there to improve the sound quality of bass and drums, or compression to increase overall volume levels). Both of these are also a remix of the music. This means that the placement of instruments in the soundstage is different, the relative prominence of some instruments/vocals is different and the amount of reverb/echo is different. Depending upon what you value, you may or may not like these changes or more likely, you may have a mixed reaction.

In terms of sound quality, the 192kHz/24Bit blu-ray is excellent. The music is very clean with no hard edges or distortion and instruments sound very realistic. The musical content is well balanced from bass through mid-range to treble. This is the best "audio sound" of any version. This is what I bought the Deluxe version for!

The 2013 cd for some reason sounds very different. The bass is very, very boosted. So much so, that while listening on a good audio system with full range speakers, my attention is drawn to the bass every time. As a result, the bass seems to overwhelm the music in the mid range and treble (acoustic guitars, vocals, cymbals etc). Overall, this makes the music sound muffled. I think the mid range and treble information is there, but the relative volume of bass overwhelms the music in the other ranges. A few other reviewers on here have commented on this and referred to it as sounding like a blanket was thrown over their speakers. This impression is exacerbated by the new mix which also reduces the prominence of horns and acoustic guitars. In contrast, on the new blu-ray the bass is always well balanced and clear. On the title song, Moondance, I've always "heard' the walking bass, but this is the first time I've clearly heard the exact pitch of each note.

I'll use Into the Mystic to illustrate the difference between the old mix and the new blu-ray version. (The new cd remix is similar to the blu-ray, but due to the amount of bass, "sounds" different). The original mix has some instruments placed very hard left or right. The horns for example on Into the Mystic are placed so far right, that they are almost exclusively in the right speaker. The horns also have a lot of reverb giving the impression that they are in a larger and different room then the rest of the band. The most noticeable change on the new mix is that the instruments are distributed better across the soundstage. Your attention is drawn more to the music and less distracted by the placement of the instruments. The low, reedy sounding "foghorn" is in the centre rather than hard right and the horns, while still on the right of the soundstage, don't sound like they're just in one speaker. There is much less reverb on the horns. This is all good.

Another noticeable change is that the horns are mixed lower. Van's voice is the central focus of the music, with less "competition" for attention from the horns, especially on the louder passages. The remix of the Band's Rock of Ages on the recently released Live at the Academy of Music 1971 makes a similar change in the new mix. Initially I found both unfamiliar. I've decided I like this choice on both releases, but it's very subjective and I can understand that some people will not like this change at all. This is especially noticeable on the last one minute of Caravan, when Van is doing the lead "la la la la la" vocals and also backing himself. You can hear the various vocal parts in his backing chorus more distinctly, but the horns don't contribute as much rhythmic punch.

The remastered sound of acoustic guitars sounds very good in the new versions. They are however lower in the new mix. As with the horns, little guitar licks don't pop out as much in the new mix. This is OK on the quieter passages at the beginning of Into the Mystic for example, but as the song progresses, especially in the last 30 seconds or so, I miss the hard driving rhythmic strumming that engages in a sort of call and response with the horns.

One final comment on Into the Mystic. The new mix has a very noticeable tambourine. I like it, but I've never heard it on a previous cd version. I don't know whether it was on the original lp. I assume, it's another example of the change in instrumental balance in the new remix.

A quick comment about the Japanese cd release. It's not really a remaster. I think some processing was added during the transfer process to boost the midrange and treble across the board, but I wouldn't say it was "remastered" with a remastering engineer, producer or artist making aesthetic choices about the sound. It mostly sounds like the North American cd, but with a bit more boost in some frequencies. It sounds fine, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way buy it.

On the whole, I'm very happy with the high resolution blu-ray, including the new mix. I'd have preferred it if it had been made available in a 3 disc version (1 remastered cd, 1 disc of outtakes and the high resolution blu-ray).

I almost forgot to mention the blu-ray menu. When you insert the blu-ray it into your player, there's no automatic pop up menu to choose the 5.1 mix or the stereo. The 5.1 mix automatically starts playing even if you just have a stereo system. You'll have to use the "audio" button on your remote to find the menu if you want to play the stereo mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice cold audio orange juice, June 13 2004
Clare Quilty (a little pad in hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moondance (Audio CD)
It's not as complex, beautiful and enigmatic as "Astral Weeks" and it's not as much of a soulful, one-two-punch workout as "Blowin' Your Mind," but for sheer, consistent, horn-driven happiness, you can't do much better than "Moondance."
But because of my affection for those other two disks, I admit, I generally tend to underrate this album. But "Moondance" keeps coming back to me in the most unexpected ways at the most unexpected times: I'll hear "Caravan" in "The Last Waltz," or "Everyone" at the end of "The Royal Tenenbaums" or "Glad Tidings" three times in the "Sopranos" Season 5 finale, or notice "Into the Mystic" on the PA at the grocery store and be reminded that I need to let it out to play more often. That's the sign of a truly great musical work.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Crazy Love"......, Oct. 24 2013
Breadmanwalking (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Moondance (Remastered) (Audio CD)
The remaster is stellar! Got a copy today downtown! This is one of the
best upgrades of music recorded 69/70..... This version will make a great
gift this coming holiday season....There aren't any remaster credits on the
Canadian pressing....but it is very well done! I am impressed....I think I'll
order a few from the Amazon seller. As of this writing, there is only $0.20 of
a difference between online/in-store....Delivered to my door for pennies more...
is a lot cheaper than "car-fare".....This is one of my best purchases this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Van the Man in Hi Res. Turn up your radio!, June 27 2014
I had been pondering this purchase for a while, given the steep price. I have to say it has been worth every penny!

The BD disc is what all surround recordings should aspire to be. It's immersive and revealing without being intrusive or gimmicky. If "Into the Mystic" does not give you goosebumps, check your pulse.

I've owned every release of Moondance, including 3 vinyl incarnations, and am astounded at how this version made me feel like I was hearing it for the 1st time. I was disappointed when the Elliot Scheiner DVD-A Moondance project got shelved. Kudos to Warner for believing in his work, and bringing it forward to this format. Hopefully this will open the door to other masterpieces.

The bonus material is like spending the day in the recording studio with Van and his band - great stuff.

This package is highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Condition of product., June 4 2014
This review is from: Moondance (Vinyl) (LP Record)
I received the record with two bad skips on it.
Other than that, how can you go wrong with moon dance. It's timeless,
Other than the poor condition of the purchased product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moodance de Van Morrison, May 17 2014
Certaines des ces chansons étaient inconnues, mais plus on écoute plus on apprécie certaines de ses chansons.
J'écoute aussi très souvent. J'adore la musique

5.0 out of 5 stars surround-sound edition of Moondance= value of a moonrock, April 10 2014
For the last 15 years or so I’ve been constantly checking everywhere for a re-mastered release of this masterpiece title (see chaztoronto list of Masterpiece Albums) and truth be told the long wait was indeed worth it.
What's the worth of a moonrock? Exactly.
Not only does this current release surpass in brilliant stereo re-mastering clarity but also includes 5.1 surround-sound mixes, which in itself is worth the price I have paid. That is to say that after my listening experience to this version I admit that I would gladly pay twice the price! However, I am a shrewd shopper who has the time to check out many sites nonetheless I usually find the most reasonable pricing comes from ImportCDs through amazon.ca, Van Morrison's Moondance being one of them.

The stereo mixes are pure digital with the surprisingly difference being that it delivers all the warmness of early vinyl (analogue) sound. ‘Nuff said.
And yet the real gems in this deluxe edition are the surround sound mixes (kudos to the engineer!) These (re)mixes are pure ear candy: the tracks contain a full spectrum of sound (lacking neither in highs, midrange or bottom-end) as well as a full separation of 5 channels+ sub-woofer. The sax solos stream into your Surround Right ear while the keyboards play in your Surround Left ear. Vocals are correctly sound staged in your Center and Rear speaker while the bass fills up the ambiance in your entire room!

In my entire collection of over 60 surround-sound titles, only a few albums can truly boast of ‘true’ surround sound and as such, Moondance will be rated at the very top together with the equally brilliant Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” and Queen “A Night At The Opera” 5.1 surround-sound versions.
Having said that, not everything is perfect. The one and only disappointment I experienced was the sound of the ‘foghorn’ from the track Into The Mystic. The stereo mix captures the realistic deepness of the foghorn in a way that you feel almost like being there but in the surround mix the foghorn sound is sadly weak, thereby quite losing its prominence: in fact, I could almost swear that the sound has been replaced by a cello!
(Note: the product description on amazon.ca notes this release as 48K 24 bit. This is an error and should be noted as: 192kHz/ 24Bit.)
Overall, for those who enjoy the listening experience of surround sound, this version is in your face. I mean that you'll feel that Van and his boys are playing right there- in your living room.

Thank you for this fine piece of music, Mr. Morrison. Can we expect surround-sound versions of Tupelo Honey or TB Sheets in the near future?
As an ending to this comment I will now quote one of Van The Man’s album title: BlowinYour Mind is a pretty good description of what will happen every time you listen to this release of Moondance.
And so, I’m good for the next 15 years……
Chaztoronto: for what its worth

5.0 out of 5 stars For Van Morrison fans, March 16 2014
I am a huge Van Morrison fan and have the original album but this expanded edition is a good addition to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Feb. 27 2014
I really like this album especially since it includes some of Van Morrison's oldies.The soud quality is great and worth listening to with a home theatre system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Awesome, Dec 30 2013
Dwight Byron "AKA Gerry Byron The Blues Poste... (Edmonton,Alberta ,Canada) - See all my reviews
Van Morrison thought the double disc shouldn't have been released he was dead wrong...if you're a Van Morrison fan you'll love this CD.

Moondance
Moondance by Van Morrison (Audio CD - 1984)