countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 31-40 of 47 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on January 3, 2000
''Paranoid'' was the album my best friend Charlie Gonzalez banged his head to in high school, while I devoured early Beatles and learned to appreciate Elton John, Yes, and Santana, even some Chicago. I used to hate the Black Sabbath stuff but I guess enough exposure to it made an impression after a while, and I guess having your best friend explain the allure helps too. It was raw, primitive and intense, everything that metal and punk had to be to stand out again the emerging establishment rock of the day.
on January 18, 2003
I am always amazed when I read tirads about old rock and roll being dated from its CD release date. In this case, Paranoid was released on vinyl in 1970. A CD (remastered? doesn't sound like it) was released in 1990. Music Fan reminds me of the drunk gen Xer I heard arguing with a guy in a bar that Jimi Hendrix, not Bob Dylan, wrote "All Along the Watchtower."
Anyhow, if you wonder how metal got started, this is a good waypoint in your exploration, muddy riffs and all. This is a classic.
on August 12, 2001
I'm sorry, and many people are probably going to grill me for this but I think Paranoid is an overrated Black Sabbath album. It's great don't get me wrong but I think the 3 that followed were Sabbath's biggest moments. I think the best songs are "War Pigs", "Iron Man", "Electric Funeral", and the best of them all "Jack The Stripper".
This is probably the essential first buy for those who are new to the 'classic' and 'ozzy' sabbath lineup. But not the best.
on August 22, 2002
There are only two songs I like and those two songs are War Pigs, and Faries Wear boots. I think those two songs show the real talent of Black Sabbath. This is my least favorite of the first six Black Sabbath albums, simply because the songs are to radio friendly. If you wan't the best of Black Sabbath check out there debut or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, those two records show there brilliance. If you like Catchy rock songs this album is for you but I prefer other Sabbbath records over this.
on February 23, 2000
The first truly awesome heavy metal album ever, Paranoid is from start to finish the greatest thing to ever come from what people today consider to be "classic rock" era, meaning AC/DC, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Purple..etc. The title track alone makes this worth purchasing but with songs like War Pigs and Iron Man in there also this is even more of an amazing album. And after you listen to this go and get Reign in Blood from Slayer, the greatest album of all time.
on April 11, 2004
Though it does contain some great songs, Paranoid is not a huge must-have. There are only 8 tracks, two of which are mediocre. But this is definately worth buying for songs like "War pigs", "Paranoid" and "Iron Man". So, there is some great stuff on here, it's just the mediocre material that brings this album down.
on January 25, 2003
This is an excellent album, but it is most certainly not their best. If you're looking for the classic Sabbath album I recommend Master of Reality. Don't get me wrong, the first side is classic Sabbath but the second side is a bit patchy. If you Don't own this album I would still highly recommend it, but you should get MOR or Vol.4.
on August 5, 2004
This is an amazing cd and illustrates Black Sabbath at their best. With the exception of the song "Planet Cavern" (who decided that bongos and acoustic guitar belonged on a metal album?),the cd is great. This album combines riffs going at the speed of light with eerie vocals. This is a must have for any metal fan!
on November 6, 2009
I compared this deluxe edition to the Rhino remaster and the deluxe edition has more tape hiss and less over all level, which is probably closer to the original vinyl. Rhino sounds good, it has noise reduction to bring down the hiss and compression/limiting to make everything sound at the same loud level. Which is best? I prefer the good old analog sound, less compression which gives more of dynamic range to the music, but the Rhino release isn't bad like some might say. The bonus tracks are fun to listen to once or twice and the quad mix isn't great but interesting to hear surround sound from back then. The artwork and packaging are nice too. Enjoy!
on July 24, 1999
Arguably the most well known sabbath album having 3 of their biggest hits Ironman, Warpigs, and Paranoid. Other intresing songs on the album are Planet caravan more well known by Pantera's version. And a very strong drum solo on rat salad. Also of intrest is the lyrical message in hand of doom.