4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Amazing
I too have owned this album multiple times. As much as I love this album I always found the sound quality really poor unless being played through a really good sound system. I was waiting for them to reissue this for years but gave up after a while. I was excited to hear about the black box remasters but had no interest in all the recordings. Finally they released the...
Published on Dec 12 2011 by BoBo

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit overrated, but the songs are good.
One thing I love about the 1st Black Sabbath album was the fact that it sounds nothing like what they did later on in their career. If anything, it sounded like distorted blues with a few songs having dissonant riffs. Paranoid starts the 'classic' phase of Black Sabbath, and while every song on this is good, there are a few things that bother me.
1)Whoever did the...
Published on Aug. 19 2003 by Nick Bobraton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 525 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful Work From Original Heavy Metal Royalty, Oct. 1 2002
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
Before the original kings of heavy metal, Black Sabbath, suffered a Ramones-like fate (obscured by the bands who ripped them off), they were stunning the late sixties-early seventies musical wasteland of Beatles bubblegum pop with their industrial guitar-driven swirl of reality. As if their self-titled debut wasn't enough to establish Black Sabbath as an innovative act, 1970's "Paranoid" confirms this with a vengeance.
It may be true that, if "Paranoid" had been recorded twenty years later by one of today's less-redeeming metal acts, it would be nothing special. And maybe that's one of the reasons this eight-song album is so fresh--Black Sabbath displays their raw yet tightly arranged wall of hard sound, setting the stage for the metal acts to come (how unfortunate the acts that followed were so bland). Although tracks like 'Hand Of Doom,' 'Rat Salad' and the brilliantly chilling 'Electric Funeral' may appear quite tame by today's standards, they are actually conceptually original and very redeeming musically--when compared to today's offerings, but especially to the radio-friendly pop of Sabbath's day. Tunes about war ('Luke's Wall'), madness (the title track) and the descent into delusion of a dope fiend ('Fairies Wear Boots') are made perfect with burgeoning madman Ozzy Osbourne's maniacal voice, guitar hero Tony Iommi's skill, and the dark rhythms of Geezer Butler and Bill Ward. And of course, there's also the tranquil journey of 'Planet Caravan,' balanced by the infamous guitar riffs of 'Iron Man.'
Maybe it is for the better that Black Sabbath was overshadowed by the countless unredeeming metal acts that followed their example--after all, at least it's made us appreciate the brave originality of "Paranoid" even more than we would had it been released today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let there be Metal!, Sept. 27 2002
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
Paranoid is propably Black Sabbath's ultimate achievement. Maybe it is the ultimate achievement of metal the past 30 years. If you just started to listen to metal, this album is a must. If you are an old dog, then you already know what I am talking about.
Black Sabbath was at the time, years ahead of their time. They delivered a very different look on the world, than was usualy present in the musical releases of the day.
Where most musicians sung about "Picking flowers in the rain", Black Sabbath sung:"Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind". Sabbath had an entirely different, much darker(more realistic?) view on the world around them.
I think most metal fans will agree with me that Sabbath are the godfathers of heavy metal, and that their contribution to heavy metal is beyond measure.
The albums includes immortal classics like War Pigs, Paranoid and Iron Man. But the fact remains that all the tracks on Paranoid is of very high quality. The jazzy and trippy Planet Caravan, and the evil Electric Funeral and Fairies Wear boots are all top notch.
Honestly it is one of the few albums without any fillers. Everything on this album is relevant, there is not too much or too little.
If you only buy one heavy metal album ever, this should be it. But after hearing it I don't think you will be able to stop yourself from buying more...but do yourself the favour of at least getting this one

5.0 out of 5 stars in the beginning., Sept. 18 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
it would be hard to deny the fact that black sabbath invented heavy metal. paranoid is evidence enough for me.
not to take anything away from their self-titled debut, but this is the first black sabbath album i ever heard. i was probably 7 or 8 the first time i remember hearing it. my dad was playing a tape of it in the car. i still have not gotten over the feeling that this album gave me. i imagine thats what sets this album apart for me. all i ever remembered hearing in the house growing up was progressive rock such as yes, ELP, styx, etc. needless to say, paranoid was a shock to my young ears. paranoid inspired me to pick up the guitar. i guess it inspired everyone to pick up a guitar, come to think of it. its really hard for me to put this album into perspective (since i was born in 1979). there was absolutely nothing of this sort out at the time. as much as it has affected my life, its hard to imagine what this felt like in the early 70's. everything else is secondary to this album, as far as heavy metal goes. dont deny your roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM NOT A HEAVY METAL FAN- STILL LOVE THIS ONE!, Aug. 15 2002
By A Customer
FOUR REASONS TO LISTEN AND KEEP THIS CD:
1. War Pigs/Luke's Wall
2. Paranoid
3. Planet Caravan
4. Iron Man
I was drivng to Atlanta about ten years ago and for some reason a radio station played side one of the "album" PARANOID. My first reaction was "Black Sabbath- bid deal." I wasn't sure at the time, but I "thought" I liked some Ozzy Osborne tunes. Anyway, I listened, not expecting to be impressed but hoping
for a surprise. SURPRISE, THIS MUSIC IS GREAT!
"War Pigs" is a little pretentious and overblown, but the strong playing puts you in the mood for what follows: "Paranoid." This is a fine, rocking song that still moves me, even though it has been played often on the radio. "Planet Caravan" is a real treat!
It has a strange 60s sound to it with the hippy-like singing (is that really Ozzy?) and funky drums. I LOVE IT! Finally, the climax song that more than made my day when I first heard this on the highway: "Ironman" Nuff Said!
There are four more songs on the CD, but honestly I have been listening to this CD for a month and everytime I play it, I hit the buttons to repeat the first four songs again. Ozzy Rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Was Harder Then, Aug. 9 2002
Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" (Columbus, Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
30+ years ago "Paranoid" was unleashed upon an unsuspecting world, the second album for Black Sabbath after their debut album "Black Sabbath". The late 60s and early 70s were a great time for experimentation, and rock was heading all over the place as various groups pushed the limits of what rock could be and where it could lead.
Paranoid remains a good album after 30+ years, a remarkable feat. "War Pigs" and "Iron Man" are considered primers for metal music, which we called hard rock in those ancient days, with a very basic bass, lead guitar, and drums sound, and the gritty, earthy voice of the Oz-man.
Of course some parents and many religious leaders pounced on the group's name and some of their lyrics. On the other hand, the current-day version of these same people complain that Harry Potter promotes witchcraft.
The lyrics in this album are mild, almost mainstream by today's standards. Furthermore, the lyrics are not all that breakthrough or novel, but when the lyrics are coupled with the music and Ozzy's voice, you have what was in 1971 a breakthrough album that sold very well, in spite of nearly zero radio play (except on the infamous, but not really, underground FM stations).
What else is on this album? "Planet Caravan" is a spacey tune that is a holdover from the psychedelic rock of the late 60s. I enjoy this song with its synthesized voice and mellow mood. "Electric Funeral" is another hard rocker in the vein of "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The transition in this song is solid hard rock, bridging a relatively slow beginning to a brief lead guitar solo that takes off into a screamer...and then back to the slow beat of the intro. Ozzy is nearly singing a dirge at the beginning and end of the song, but that's also the point of the song.
"Hand of Doom" starts with the bass, adding drums and then Ozzy's voice. After the intro the lead guitar thrusts into the song and Ozzy start putting himself into the song. The song switches back and forth between the bass/drums/mellow Oz to heavy bass, lead guitar, drums and Ozzy's full voice. Then the song suddenly changes so that it's almost like a completely different song, another hard rocker that may be the most metal song on the CD. Then about two minutes from the end of the song the speed slows down in a reprise of the beginning. By the way, this song is about drugs, but the images are not positive.
Next you've got "Rat Salad". This song is an instrumental, excellent drum work (turn up the bass!), setting you up for the last song.
I love "Fairies Wear Boots". I realize the lyrics are borderline corny, but on the other hand here's Ozzy singing about somebody who's clearly having a trip (chemically induced). Fortunately for many of us, the song is all the trip we need and the chemistry set is not required. This song is fun and good and has excellent riffs and bass.
Music has changed a lot in 30 years. But some things remain the same. This album is one of them. I hope I enjoy it 30 years from now as much as I enjoy it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD by One of My Favorite Bands, June 18 2002
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of "Black Sabbath" and believe it or not, this is the first compact disc (CD) that I've bought by the great group. When I listen to music I look for great tunes, awesome instrumentals, and great voices. With this "Black Sabbath" CD I got everything that I was looking for. All of the songs on this marvelous album are wonderful and will be listened to over and over again.
Ozzy Osbourne does a great job with the singing part of the songs but all of the instrumentals really make this album stand out from the albums of other bands. I enjoy most of the songs on this album and they are a true pleasure to listen to. My favorite songs on this great album are "Iron Man," "War Pigs (Luke's Wall)," "Paranoid," and "Electric Funeral."
The actual recordings of the songs are done very well but I had to blast my radio to really here the songs, which isn't really a big problem as you will really feel the songs. If you listen to the lyrics of the songs you will find out that all of the songs have a true meaning. "Black Sabbath's Paranoid" is a truly great CD that should definitely belong in everybody's music library. I look forward to buying more of "Black Sabbath's" recordings in the future.
Happy Listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still unmatched after all these years, June 13 2002
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
In 1969, Black Sabbath single-handedly created Heavy Metal with their self-titled debut album. And the people rejoiced and saw that it was good. "Let there be a follow-up", boomed the band members, and wangled a bank loan to take them back into the recording studio. And so, 'Paranoid' saw the light of day and remains to this day, one of the greatest Heavy Metal album of all time. It has everything. The guitar...well...look up 'Power' in the encyclopaedia and you'll find a picture of Tony Iommi playing his Gibson SG, There are lyrics depicting scenes of unparalleled misery and carnage ('War Pigs'), insanity ('Paranoid'), gothic terror ('Iron Man') and drug-induced hallucinations ('Fairies Wear Boots'). Importantly, there's a sense of humour that can sometimes be lacking in some metal acts (notably northern European ones). And how can you resist an album with songtitles like 'Rat Salad' and 'Hand of Doom' (this was 1970, remember). For my money, 'War Pigs' is the best metal song ever: long, slow, heavy, epic, beautiful. Ozzy is in fine form, heralding the imminence of our destruction with authority and panache. Sabbath made a whole string of top-flight albums in the 70s but Paranoid is the crispest. And has the best cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Slice of Old-School Metal, June 11 2002
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
Black Sabbath's 1970 sophomore release PARANOID became their breakout album and the album that launched their brand of dark, brooding heavy metal to the masses. In fact, the 8 songs on PARANOID sound more like heavy metal than any of the songs on their self-titled debut (also released in 1970). Those tracks sounded more like Cream or Zeppelin inspired blues-rock, with only the title track ("Black Sabbath") giving a hint at things to come.
In that aspect, PARANOID is a cohesive collection of hard rock tunes. Why did I give this classic LP four stars? Two simple reasons:
1) The production is terrible. I forgave the poor sound quality of the first album because of the low budget, but by the time Sabbath were recording PARANOID, they had a lot more money than ever before. So what's the problem? Sometimes Geezer's bass is too low to hear and Tony Iommi's guitar riffs sound strained instead crunching like they should.
2) "Rat Salad" is not what I hoped it would be. Although Bill Ward's drum solo is awesome, the whole song is pretty forgettable. The flow of the album is disrupted. It should've been a 2-minute drum solo with NO guitars or bass.
Despite those two mistakes, the rest of PARANOID holds up commendably well, deserving its classic status. My personal favorite track is "Hand of Doom," a 7-minute masterpiece that tells a disturbing and graphic tale of heroin addiction. It's pretty amazing that a band like Sabbath, who were doing drugs AND groupies around this time, were actually denouncing the rock & roll lifestyle that bands like The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin glorified. They knew they were doing it, but they didn't like it. The quiet and creepy bass intro, the angry gutiar solo, and the doomy drums add to the dark atmosphere of Ozzy's bleak and realistic lyrics. A truly great song.
Other standouts include the anti-war epic "War Pigs" (which compares corrupt government to Satanism), the sludgy classic "Iron Man," and the energetic "Fairies Wear Boots" which goes back to the bluesy feel of the debut.
This is really good, old-school metal. Long live the 'Sabs (unless it's not Ozzy or Ronnie James Dio singing - the other singers [stunk]).

5.0 out of 5 stars They really are out to get you, April 21 2002
"prelim2" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
Band takes the planet by storm with their first eponymous album then follows it up inside the year with a top ten single and a second even better album. You couldn´¿t make it up. There´¿s no holding back either, no resting on any laurels. They hit us with political commentary couched in heavy metal irony in ´¿War Pigs´¿ follow it up with the surprise hit ´¿Paranoid´¿ which introduced the masses to heavy metal the hard way - like it or not it was there and in your face. They proceed through the hypnotic dreamy ´¿Planet Caravan´¿ then rouse us with another demonic riffing slap in the face with ´¿Iron Man.´¿ If you´¿re not panting yet don´¿t worry you will be. ´¿Electric Funeral´¿ will batter you into submission and then ´¿Hand of Doom´¿ the song that had my dad threatening to throw me out, lock me up, send me to boarding school when he heard me listening to it at fourteen (four years after its release). It was bad enough that my room looked like the inside of a crypt (didn´¿t everyone have black walls?) and I had been listening recently to some suspiciously weird music (Pink Floyd) but to come in just as Ozzy was instructing in his most diabolically persuasive manner ´¿Push the needle in´¿ about put the tin lid on it. He couldn´¿t come in when ´¿Rat Salad´¿ was playing could he? No words there to upset him although it´¿s not what you´¿d call middle of the road acoustic. He really wouldn´¿t have liked it, but I would have got away with a snide comment or two ´¿How can you listen to this rubbish?´¿ rather than the full outraged father scenario. The fact that by the time he´¿d finished lecturing me Ozzy was into the sublimely wickedly heavy ´¿Fairies Wear Boots´¿ didn´¿t help. ´¿Paranoid´¿ is touted as their finest and I won´¿t argue that it´¿s up there although I think ´¿Sabbath Bloody Sabbath´¿ has the edge ´¿ just.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabbaths Second Best So What's With The Negativity, March 21 2002
glenn (St. Rose, La USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paranoid (Audio CD)
What an album, Heavy Metal at its best(at that time and a long time following it). Nothing at this time sounded like this. Not even their first album was this heavy.Every song on this album is killer. Even the instrumental,which unlike others, is not at all boring. I read that somebody said it is a filler...What the...is he on. If hes not on anything he has no sense in music at all. Planet Caravan is an awesome trippe(?)song. Ozzy voice sounds so cool, and the music goes right with it. The guy who rated the songs in his reveiw did ok. Except every song on this album is 100% and nothing less.He rated Planet Caravan with a 95% and rat salad with an 80%.Come on dude you sound like ytou have more sense than that. Wouldn't you think(as that guy described)since planet caravan is so dark and cool it would be 100%...War Pigs has some of the coolest lyrics ever. Iron man and paranoid lyrics are cool too. Electric Funeral is probaly my favorite song. It is so dark and cool and I love how they change it up in the middle of it. Hand of Doom is also a Favorite. it is a great slow song that greats an awesome speed up. Rat salad i love as well as Faries Wear Boots. PLanet Caravan is such an awesome song. The others I am sure you know. Dont listen to the bad reviews or even the four star reviews. This album, out of a scale from 1 to 5, is a definite 7. This is must have for a music fan. I highly recommend Master Of Reality which is a little heavier and better than Paranoid. If you don't have this album already buy it now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 525 | Next ›

Paranoid
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (Audio CD - 1987)
Click for more info