5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect !!!!
Amazing music that never grows old. One of the best recording I have ever listened to as well as a favorite of my generation.
Published 1 month ago by Jocelyne Forget

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish there was an original score to this disk
I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm in love with this cd and the movie. The movie just moves me to pieces. But come on, there were alot and I mean ALOT more songs in the film that were not included on the cd. I wish that they would stop excluding certain songs, for whatever reasons, off the movie soundtrack. If you're gonna have it in the movie, then have it on the cd too...
Published on Oct. 18 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect !!!!, March 12 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars No "Sex Shooter" on this soundtrack, July 17 2004
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Some labels just have a habit of excluding certain song(s) off movie soundtracks. There are some songs or instrumental beats in a movie that a person may love and hence purchase the soundtrack not for the heck of it but because of that song(s). But leave it to Prince to exclude Apollonia's "Sex Shooter" and the beautiful piano arrangement/piece whatever you want to call it, which was played by his "on-screen" father on the piano. But hey, you can't win 'em all. However, the soundtrack is delicious. Prince is sexy and the lyrics are orgasmic---apps~

5.0 out of 5 stars What's a 'title'?, Nov. 29 2011
Richard B. Young (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
I don't have time to give a review that it at least 20 words long. What's wrong with just giving a star rating?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wah-Hoo!, June 5 2004
Melting_Pot (Shreveport, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite records now and when it came out. Prince is a great singer/songwriter, one of the world's best, if I may say so myself. This was Prince's highest selling album, and I can see why. While some other of Prince's releases may seem not my style, this one shows that Prince is one of pop/rock's greatest stars. Adding equal amounts of pop, rock, and funk, Prince shows off his talent. Although this record may seem extremely 80's at first listen, it really is one of those timeless ones, like the Beatles 'Revolver' or Ratt's 'Out Of The Cellar'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember the joy., July 8 2011
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
I remember the joy of hearing 'When Doves Cry' the first time. Wanting to hear it again and again and getting that beautiful, flowery lp.
I remember the joy of my friends and the world tripping to Prince who I had discovered with 'Controversy' and whose catalogue had become part of my 'Private Joy'.
Twenty-five years later the joy is still there.
Sherif Laoun

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, June 24 2004
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
This CD brings back so many memories of 1984-I was staioned overseas in the military that year, and those were some great times. Lots of partying, and the music from this CD takes me back to that period . '84 was a long year with many ups and downs, and Purple Rain reminds me of those times. This is a great additon to my '80s collection, along with Hall and Oates, Billy Ocean, Madonna, Def Leopard, Teena Marie and scores of others. This, IMO, is Prince's best work EVER..a must have for any pop music fan..

5.0 out of 5 stars Purple Rain! Purple Rain! Purple Rain!, May 25 2004
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Prince, Prince, Prince!! The best musician on the face of this earth! There may be many great singers, or songwriters, or producers...but this man is all of them wrapped in 1! He is on fire, although a few times it was calmed. But the fire he possesses will NEVER be burnt out! Count on that.
I know just about all there is to know about him, so let's talk music, baby. This album, Music from the Motion Picture "Purple Rain" is great. I would say that this is his rock-iest album. Sign 'O' the Times comes close to being the rock-est, but this pure blend of rock got me introduced to what rock and music is supposed to be. I am originally an R&B fan, but this is just about my favorite album. My favorites are "Computer Blue", "When Doves Cry" (I mean, who doesn't love that song?), and "The Beatiful Ones". I love ever last one of the songs on this album and I also know all the words...
We all know there is a wonderful movie to accompany it and there is no way you can own this and not see the movie, and you cannot own the movie without giving this a listen (then you'll buy it after one hear!). I recommend it and as long as you don't play "Darling Nikki" your children can love it as well (as long as they don't see the movie until they're alot older...). But this can't possibly be a waste of money. Besides 1999, this was the first album I owned and listened to. If you are becoming a Prince fan or wanna do it right, you have to start off with this!
BUY IT AND LOVE IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Let's Go Crazy And Let's Get Nuts"- One Of Prince's Best!, May 23 2004
Brandon Ousley (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
After Prince went forward and made a major breakthrough with 1982's "1999" that spawned the hit singles "Little Red Corvette" and the dance-pop hit, "1999", Prince and his new band the Revolution began to write music for the album that made him a superstar called "Purple Rain". "Purple Rain" was the first album to be credited to the Revolution that featured longtime keyboardist Matt Fink, drummer Bobby Z, bassist Brown Mark, and the fabulous female duo of guitarist/vocalist Wendy Melvoin and keyboardist/vocalist Lisa Coleman. While Prince strays away from his R&B roots in favor of more pop-oriented styles, that doesn't mean he turned his back on soul music since a lot of the album carries soulful elements. Though the soul is still on Prince's mind, he mixes it up with dashes of metal, new wave, pop, and even some traces of psychedelia. "Purple Rain" was the one that helped launch Prince into superstardom. The album opens up with the rocking, "Let's Go Crazy". As Lisa Coleman's wailing organ and Prince's gospel-like sermon ends, Bobby Z's rhythmic elctric drum tracks comes with metal-blazing guitar riffs and wailing keyboards. Then, there are the puncy bass lines that come in. Next, there is the smooth and psychedelic tune, "Take Me With U", as it opens with the mid-tempo bass drums and the melodic synthesizers that are accompanied by the pounding bass lines. It's a beautiful duet with the Purple Rain movie co-star, Apollonia. The strings are just wonderful. "The Beautiful Ones" is a great R&B-like ballad, which has some great drum work by Bobby Z and Matt Fink's piano and organ-sounding synthesizers are lushy, as well as, great. The tune is about how beautiful women aren't always happy. "Computer Blue" is a funky, pop tune, which is very hard-pounding. The guitar-work and strong backbeat percussion is breathtaking. "Darling Nikki" totally sounds like something from his 1980 album, "Dirty Mind". The song is all about eroticism. The tune has some killer, blazing metal guitars. "When Doves Cry" is probably Prince's greatest song ever. It went #1 on the charts and stayed there for six weeks. The song doesn't have any bass included, it just has percussion, keyboards, and guitars. "I Would Die 4 U" is a up-tempo tune with some great, energetic synthesizer work. "Baby I'm A Star" is a funky, dance-pop song with Prince saying that he doesn't want to stop being a star, until he reaches the top. The spritual-like "Purple Rain", has to be one of the best compositions Prince has done. The song has some well-focused instrumentation in it. It has a beautiful fusion of guitar, cello, violin, drums, and strings. The album, itself, is a major classic. Every song on here are probably Prince's best performances ever. His 1982 album, "1999" might've introduced Prince to pop music, but "Purple Rain" was the one that kept the monumental going. It was the album that took pop music to a whole new horizon. "Purple Rain" is truly a pop landmark. The disc will never leave your CD player, trust me. A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince's arguable triumph, May 22 2004
Terrence J. Reardon (South Carolina and Mass., USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Prince's soundtrack to his movie Purple Rain was released in the summer of 1984. My mother bought this album for herself the year it came out and it is one of the greatest albums ever(my mom is a rock and roller but also liked Prince because he somewhat reminded her of Hendrix, a somewhat good comparison). Prince is a God given talent who can write his own songs, play guitar and keyboards and of course, sing. This album was rightfully #1 for six months in a row, let's see if Britney would ever do that. This classic kicks off with the classic Let's Go Crazy which is one of the greatest opening tracks ever on an album. Take Me With U is a great duet from Prince and co-star Apolonnia(is that how you spell it) and those two tracks were the only singles taken from the first half. The Beautiful Ones is a great ballad with Prince singing in falsetto than going to power before going into banshee screaming mode to end the song. Computer Blue is another great song. The first half closes with the infamous Darling Nikki which makes Britney's Touch of My Hand sound like Barney's I Love You You Love Me and was the same song that caused Tipper Gore to form the PMRC, whom also accused Styx and Pink Floyd and Rush of being Satanic. The #1 hit When Doves Cry kicks the second half off and was the last song where it was Prince all himself as there were three tracks on this album where Prince recorded some songs himself and is a classic. I Would Die 4 U is another great song and was another Top 10 hit and The Neptunes stole from The Great Artist Known as Prince for that awful Britney track! Baby I'm a Star follows and is another good song that follows. The album closes with the epic title cut which had a superb guitar solo from Prince and was another hit. This album will always hold a place in my heart as it was the second album of his I heard after the classic 1999 released in late 1982. This album sold millions and millions and is the major reason why Prince is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and his new album is selling good as well and is recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ALBUM STANDS THE TEST OF TIME...., May 21 2004
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Prince first captivated me in the Purple Rain days & I have been a huge fan ever since. From his debut in 1979 with "For You", through his 25 years of musical and artistic brilliance, to his current Doctorate with Musicology I have adored this prince. Here it is 20 years after the release of Purple Rain & every time I listen to this amazing album I am in awe. You can't sit still & you forget all your worries. What a freaken genius this man is. There is no other & will never be another like him. Not only is he a brilliant musician, but he performs like no other. There is no other artist that can completely captivate his audience like he does. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HIM!!!!!

ARRAY(0xb3aa6978)

Purple Rain
Purple Rain by Prince (Audio CD - 1984)