march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 3, 2016
As soon as Purple Rain arrived in the mail, my mom and I took turns listening to the album (which she has now had for over a week, but I can't blame her since she's the biggest Prince fan I know!). There is not one track that is disappointing and again, is a great story, especially if you've watched the movie.
on May 25, 2004
Prince, Prince, Prince!! The best musician on the face of this earth! There may be many great singers, or songwriters, or producers...but this man is all of them wrapped in 1! He is on fire, although a few times it was calmed. But the fire he possesses will NEVER be burnt out! Count on that.
I know just about all there is to know about him, so let's talk music, baby. This album, Music from the Motion Picture "Purple Rain" is great. I would say that this is his rock-iest album. Sign 'O' the Times comes close to being the rock-est, but this pure blend of rock got me introduced to what rock and music is supposed to be. I am originally an R&B fan, but this is just about my favorite album. My favorites are "Computer Blue", "When Doves Cry" (I mean, who doesn't love that song?), and "The Beatiful Ones". I love ever last one of the songs on this album and I also know all the words...
We all know there is a wonderful movie to accompany it and there is no way you can own this and not see the movie, and you cannot own the movie without giving this a listen (then you'll buy it after one hear!). I recommend it and as long as you don't play "Darling Nikki" your children can love it as well (as long as they don't see the movie until they're alot older...). But this can't possibly be a waste of money. Besides 1999, this was the first album I owned and listened to. If you are becoming a Prince fan or wanna do it right, you have to start off with this!
BUY IT AND LOVE IT!!!
on April 21, 2016
My parents bought this album for me in 1984 when I was 9 years old. I grew up listening to music from Prince. I love the songs When Doves Cry and I Would Die For. For more than 30 years, I have been listening to music from Prince. Prince was an incredible talent. It's hit me hard his deatrh today. I was completely shocked and stunned at the news. Three of my favorite singers have died in the past 10 years: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Prince. There is no denying the talent and the brilliance of Prince and he was influenced and inspired by the music of Motown. I remmeber listening to Let's Go Crazy over and over again. Bryan Adams, Prince, Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, Twisted Sister, and Quiet Riot. These artists and groups started my interest in music. Prince is a one of kind artist that will be missed. Rest in Peace, Prince.
on May 5, 2016
As always, the amazing talent and musicality of Prince and the Revolution shines through with this album! A great addition to any music collection that will have you falling in love with Prince every time you listen!
on May 23, 2004
After Prince went forward and made a major breakthrough with 1982's "1999" that spawned the hit singles "Little Red Corvette" and the dance-pop hit, "1999", Prince and his new band the Revolution began to write music for the album that made him a superstar called "Purple Rain". "Purple Rain" was the first album to be credited to the Revolution that featured longtime keyboardist Matt Fink, drummer Bobby Z, bassist Brown Mark, and the fabulous female duo of guitarist/vocalist Wendy Melvoin and keyboardist/vocalist Lisa Coleman. While Prince strays away from his R&B roots in favor of more pop-oriented styles, that doesn't mean he turned his back on soul music since a lot of the album carries soulful elements. Though the soul is still on Prince's mind, he mixes it up with dashes of metal, new wave, pop, and even some traces of psychedelia. "Purple Rain" was the one that helped launch Prince into superstardom. The album opens up with the rocking, "Let's Go Crazy". As Lisa Coleman's wailing organ and Prince's gospel-like sermon ends, Bobby Z's rhythmic elctric drum tracks comes with metal-blazing guitar riffs and wailing keyboards. Then, there are the puncy bass lines that come in. Next, there is the smooth and psychedelic tune, "Take Me With U", as it opens with the mid-tempo bass drums and the melodic synthesizers that are accompanied by the pounding bass lines. It's a beautiful duet with the Purple Rain movie co-star, Apollonia. The strings are just wonderful. "The Beautiful Ones" is a great R&B-like ballad, which has some great drum work by Bobby Z and Matt Fink's piano and organ-sounding synthesizers are lushy, as well as, great. The tune is about how beautiful women aren't always happy. "Computer Blue" is a funky, pop tune, which is very hard-pounding. The guitar-work and strong backbeat percussion is breathtaking. "Darling Nikki" totally sounds like something from his 1980 album, "Dirty Mind". The song is all about eroticism. The tune has some killer, blazing metal guitars. "When Doves Cry" is probably Prince's greatest song ever. It went #1 on the charts and stayed there for six weeks. The song doesn't have any bass included, it just has percussion, keyboards, and guitars. "I Would Die 4 U" is a up-tempo tune with some great, energetic synthesizer work. "Baby I'm A Star" is a funky, dance-pop song with Prince saying that he doesn't want to stop being a star, until he reaches the top. The spritual-like "Purple Rain", has to be one of the best compositions Prince has done. The song has some well-focused instrumentation in it. It has a beautiful fusion of guitar, cello, violin, drums, and strings. The album, itself, is a major classic. Every song on here are probably Prince's best performances ever. His 1982 album, "1999" might've introduced Prince to pop music, but "Purple Rain" was the one that kept the monumental going. It was the album that took pop music to a whole new horizon. "Purple Rain" is truly a pop landmark. The disc will never leave your CD player, trust me. A+
on June 5, 2004
This is one of my favorite records now and when it came out. Prince is a great singer/songwriter, one of the world's best, if I may say so myself. This was Prince's highest selling album, and I can see why. While some other of Prince's releases may seem not my style, this one shows that Prince is one of pop/rock's greatest stars. Adding equal amounts of pop, rock, and funk, Prince shows off his talent. Although this record may seem extremely 80's at first listen, it really is one of those timeless ones, like the Beatles 'Revolver' or Ratt's 'Out Of The Cellar'.
on May 22, 2004
Prince's soundtrack to his movie Purple Rain was released in the summer of 1984. My mother bought this album for herself the year it came out and it is one of the greatest albums ever(my mom is a rock and roller but also liked Prince because he somewhat reminded her of Hendrix, a somewhat good comparison). Prince is a God given talent who can write his own songs, play guitar and keyboards and of course, sing. This album was rightfully #1 for six months in a row, let's see if Britney would ever do that. This classic kicks off with the classic Let's Go Crazy which is one of the greatest opening tracks ever on an album. Take Me With U is a great duet from Prince and co-star Apolonnia(is that how you spell it) and those two tracks were the only singles taken from the first half. The Beautiful Ones is a great ballad with Prince singing in falsetto than going to power before going into banshee screaming mode to end the song. Computer Blue is another great song. The first half closes with the infamous Darling Nikki which makes Britney's Touch of My Hand sound like Barney's I Love You You Love Me and was the same song that caused Tipper Gore to form the PMRC, whom also accused Styx and Pink Floyd and Rush of being Satanic. The #1 hit When Doves Cry kicks the second half off and was the last song where it was Prince all himself as there were three tracks on this album where Prince recorded some songs himself and is a classic. I Would Die 4 U is another great song and was another Top 10 hit and The Neptunes stole from The Great Artist Known as Prince for that awful Britney track! Baby I'm a Star follows and is another good song that follows. The album closes with the epic title cut which had a superb guitar solo from Prince and was another hit. This album will always hold a place in my heart as it was the second album of his I heard after the classic 1999 released in late 1982. This album sold millions and millions and is the major reason why Prince is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and his new album is selling good as well and is recommended!
on July 15, 2014
I love the movie, and I love the CD! It's too bad that the other songs by the other artists from the movie, were never included on Prince's Purple Rain. That would have made this CD a true comprehensive soundtrack. Still, Prince is Prince, so ... the CD is worthwhile buying.
on August 3, 2000
For those who might notice that this is the same review as given by The Answer last October, let me state that I am The Answer and am simply looking to consolidate my online reviews.
I was floored anew by the perfection of this record yesterday. I don't know if you've listened to the album recently, but I think it might still be the best singular work that Prince ever put out; certainly the best of that time period. Every single track is fully realized and executed, and always in the most concise fashion (that fact alone, I think, after the rambling eight and nine minute electronic funk extravaganzi prevalent on > 1999, marks a tremendous advance in pop radio awareness). The production is spot-on and, while the Revolution performs flawlessly throughout, it is Prince the guitarist and vocalist who truly shines in what is, without question, the most emotional and honest of all his official releases. Even the radio-ready dance cuts like "Let's Go Crazy" and "Baby I'm A Star" carry, lyrically, a fair amount of clout, refusing to be dismissed as simple club fodder (unlike previous beat-centric cuts like "1999" and future booty-movers like "Kiss"). Of course the closing title track and the album's centerpiece, "When Doves Cry" are masterpieces of anthemic rock; the instrumental performances are meticulous while the vocal retains a raw edginess that, to this day, is still convincing. All in all, a record for the ages. It is work like this that people should be thinking of when they hear the name "Prince" instead of the ridicule in which he (by his own hand, in many cases) has become mired in the 1990's.
on July 4, 2000
it's not hard 2 understand why this album was so popular (having just looked at the r.i.a.a. certification-this stands at 13 million sold)-it's quirky as hell, yet so catchy as hell.'let's go crazy' has the oddest song structure i've ever heard-an orgasmic guitar solo at the END of the song-;'take me w/u' is a cool, catchy acoustic-based song w/a great sentiment lyrically;'beautiful ones' builds 2 that dramatic climax like it's supposed 2;'computer blue'-another odd song structure;'doves cry'-a bassless song that brings that linn drum out front; and stuff that worked better live-'i would die 4 u' and 'baby i'm a star'. but 'purple rain'-wow...this song is hard 4 me 2 listen 2 because it captures in 8 lines a whole sea of emotions about relationships, etc. such a sad,yet appropriate climax 2 a brilliant album. one, it's 2 bad that people will still refer 2 this even now when he's released,what,100 albums since then; two, there are so many songs he recorded 4 this project and originally he was 2 have released 3 albums worth of material. we all know that he has the best unreleased material and one hopes that he will release a 'complete edition' of purple rain someday. who knows-maybe i'm dreaming. but there are a lot of other people who feel the same way. although the sound itself is a bit 80's, the songs will live 4ever. bless u prince, and bless u, linn drum machine- a marriage made in heaven.