countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture Music Deals Store All-New Kindle Tools sports

on June 23, 2005
I've waited a long time for this album to be available on SACD. The wait was definitely worth it. This is reference quality audio that beats any vinyl in my collection.
I dare you to listen to Money for Nothing and not get chills. The surround mix is fantastic,using all speakers to great effect.
My advice, rush out and buy this one. It may be the best SACD out there.
on April 6, 2013
First off, I'd like to clarify that this review is for the SACD 5.1 mix specifically.

To speak quickly about the content of the album, it's a classic plain and simple. There was a lot of fluff that came out of the 80's (not that I didn't enjoy a lot of it) and one may be quick to dismiss this album as just that if they were to know it simply for the famed "Money For Nothing" track. But the content on this album is solid beginning to end, and although 80's synth driven in many respects, it's a complex offering. And don't think synth driven is a bad connotation in my books. It's a product of the 80's where a lot of this technology and the likes was being experimented with, and the sound is fitting; I couldn't think of having it any other way. And in general I mean c'mon, you've got a steel body guitar rocketing up through the clouds to the heavens on the front cover... you know you're in for something good. Most of my review though is to look more at the sonic aspects of this re-release.

I also have the Redbook CD 2 channel version of this album and it is indeed great, but...
This multichannel mix is absolutely shocking.

I have a fairly extensive catalog of DVD-A's and SACD's and everyone goes on about Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon as being some sort of multichannel reference of which all other recordings should be measured. I've heard the DSOTM SACD, and I'm going to have to assume then that all these people have not heard this Dire Straits release.

If you have a good surround setup in which to listen to this recording on, then you are in for a serious treat. Normally very high res stuff runs the risk of sounding hard edged, synthetic, sterile. Even a regular CD runs into these issues. But this recording manages to be highly resolute and warm and full at the same time. It's a very elusive combination.

Ultimately the amount of detail that gets revealed versus the regular CD version of this album, working in conjunction with a very engaging but not gimmicky 5.1 mix, makes for the most compelling argument for a multichannel technique applied to recorded music that I have heard to date.
on May 5, 2016
This spectacular 2x45rpm LP is a must own for anyone who is a dire straits fan, a vinyl collector or an audiophile. Mobile Fidelity has done a lovely job re-mastering this album, and though it was originally conceived for digital, the engineers have really outdone themselves with this one. Bass is tight and crisp, dynamics are duanced, and the soundstage is rich and deep. A joy to listen to on a high end audio system.
on February 8, 2006
Hi people,
As Rick before me, I find this new SACD version of "Brothers In Arms" very well done. The sound is even clearer than the already amazing original one (recorded in DDD at that time).
Mark Knopfler's guitar sound just like a caress and it is such a joy for your ears. Don't wait and go get it as soon as you can. Good listening and see you at the next show of Mark Knopfler, Dom.
on January 10, 2014
Ordered this CD for "Brother's In Arms" not realizing the CD had a few songs that I grew up with so that was a pleasant surprise. I especially love all the music that I haven't heard before!!! The instrumentals are fantastic! Some songs remind me of Pink Floyd and some of Bob Dylan. Overall - I have listened to it non-stop since I received it.
on July 7, 2004
I began listening to Dire Straits through my mother 4 years ago when I was 10, the first album being Brothers in Arms. The first four songs were indeed trademarks of Dire Straits (and very good ones too), but the ones which most influenced me were 'Ride Across the River' and 'Man's too Strong'. Listening to Mark Knopfler's husky and deep voice sing the melancholy and intense songs is something to enjoy. I think my favourites are the two above, because of the beautiful lyrics, and the intensity in which Mark Knopfler sings them, especially 'Man's too Strong'. I know it isn't a particular favourite of most people, but I enjoy the old, even ancient theme of 'Man's too Strong' and the rebellious, powerful tone of 'Ride Across the River'. The story of the 'war criminal' in 'Man's too Strong' is really terrific, especially the way 'the sun rose in the courtyard' at his hearing. The fast-paced strum of the guitar accentuates Dire Straits' skill with music and I think they truly achieved something. They don't sing empty words for singing's sake, but sing of real stories or even poetic pieces of writing, the vocals are true and the music does not simply flaunt loud noise or screaming wails, but they parade the joy of music in both melancholic, 'worth-it' tones like 'Brothers In Arms' another favourite of mine, and cheerful boisterous tunes like 'Walk of Life'.
All in all, I admire Dire Straits' fantastic music, and "Brothers in Arms" is another celebration of their beautiful music, one of the albums I most enjoy.
on March 19, 2015
10 years ago, when I purchased my first SACD, it was a SHAGGY album (I have pretty wide musical tastes). When I listened to that SACD, the were harsh, the bass was weak, and it left me with a bitter impression that I had been sold a lie about this format replacing vinyl. It was also the last SACD I had purchased... until now.

After reading many great reviews on this disc (and some others), I decided to take the plunge and see what the hype was all about. I was overjoyed to hear this album in a way I don't think I'll ever expect to experience again (unless Blu-Ray Audio takes off, that is). It gushes with detail, vivid detail. Warm rich bass, smooth mids, sparkling though never harsh highs. I just want to keep turning it up, up, up. You'll feel completely immersed.

So far, I've purchased 2 SACDs that have now been stellar, and two BD Audios which have been between OK and Great. Ironic, given the age of SACD and what people seem to say about PCM besting DSD. It's not just the format, but the love that goes into mastering for the format, I think.
on August 17, 2013
I won't debate the pros and cons of this great artistic album, although I prefer this album over other offerings from Dire Straits. There are plenty of other reviews commenting on the music.
I will focus on the sound quality. When someone like Bob Ludwig from Gateway mastering is behind the mastering of a album you can be assured that its going to be superb. And it is just that. Bob should be considered to be one of a very small group of people that is the best of the best in his field. Any comments about the sacd sounding bright are unfounded and are result of their systems being on the bright side of neutral. I have a hig end solid state designed system( no tubes) and I find the sound is neutral and smooth. Comparing it to vinyl, it is not quite as warm, but just as smooth. I dare say it has more inner detail than record. It is equally enjoyable. Absolutely no listening fatigue with this cd. These comments are based on 2 channel stereo layer. I don't have a surround system.
on August 7, 2002
I first bought the original issue of this CD back in 1986. When the remaster version was out, I also bought one as this is a great CD. After comparing the two, I found that the sound of the original version is more natural, and the sound of the remastered version is good, but it lacks the depth of sound which you can feel when listening the two version back to back. From my experience, the remaster version of certain CDs did enhance the sound quality of it, but to this one, the origianl version retains the charisma of the songs, so I gave 4 stars to the remastered version and 5 stars to the original version (which is still available).
on July 9, 2004
From the fun Money for Nothing (socio-commentary on their on business) and Walk of Life to the mournful, heart-hurting Brothers in Arms, this album is perfect. It shows the range of this group. Brothers in Arms has been was used in 1985 for Miami Vice episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" - on of the best Vice episodes and then then turnaround and you find it used again in 2002 for West Wing for the post funeral segments of Mrs Landingham's funeral, showing it's timeless appeal.
No one Dire Straits and this album just could not get any better.