5.0 out of 5 stars Golden

Thanks fsf

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have had original studio cuts, May 1 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
The purpose of buying a greatest hits collection is to get a representative assortment of songs without having to buy a large quantity of CDs. On an album entitled Gord's Gold II, we have a right to expect the original studio cuts. A live album should have been released separately. The live versions of High & Dry, All the Lovely Ladies and others just don't make the grade.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gordon at his worst, July 22 2001
Bradley Olson (Bemidji, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
Although many highlights of his 80's albums are in their original versions and has a great song called "If It Should Please You" available nowhere else, everything else, including "Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" is all re-recorded and the remakes are not good at that. You are better off getting the "Songbook" boxed set or the original albums for what you would be buying this for. If It weren't for the highlights of the 80's albums and the new track, this would rate 1 star, but since the 1980's original recordings are well chosen and "If It Should Please You" is a decent song, I give it 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for Purists but a good CD nonetheless, April 4 2003
chefdevergue (Spokane, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
There has been a lot of complaining about many of the songs on this re-recorded versions of earlier hits. I cannot say that I particularly care that much. As a novice Lightfoot listener, I can only say that to me the songs are still engaging and most enjoyable. For those who only know Lightfoot via 2 or 3 hit songs, this is a good exposure to his work.
Purists will quibble about the newer version, but they need to remember that an artist is entitled to re-interpret his own work. It is not as though this music is engraved in stone, for crying out lot. My own field of expertise is classical music, and could cite more examples than one could stand of artists re-recording works more than once. Adrian Boult, for example, premiered Gustav Holst's work "The Planets," and first recorded portions of the work in 1917. He then proceeded to record "The Planets" at least another 6 times over the next 60 years, the last recording coming in 1978 when Boult was nearing 90. The result is a wonderfully nuanced recording reflecting a lifetime's experience.
What is the point of this rambling digression? Music is not static. An artist should not be castigated for re-exploring earlier works, just because that is what you remember from when you were younger. Enjoy the earlier recordings for what they are, but enjoy the newer recordings on their own merits. Since I am not intimately familiar with Lightfoot's recordings, I am not burdened by preconceived notions of how the various songs should sound.
Just enjoy the CD for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Gordon Lightfoot from the Eighties, June 2 2002
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
"Gord's Gold Volume II" is one of those second collections of hits that invariably suffers in comparison to the original. There are almost as many songs (18 to 21), but the "hits" are certainly fewer in comparison--"I'm Not Supposed to Care," "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald," and "Race Among the Ruins"-- and they all come from one album, "Summertime Dream." But then you stop, take a deep breath, and remember that Gordon Lightfoot's music was not about commercial success. I still remember him in concert telling the audience he would do the singing and they should just listen (this always made me think of an audience at a poetry reading reciting the "hit" poems along with the author; you see the point). The key thing is that Gordon Lightfoot is a singer-songwriter whose body of work is more impressive the deeper you go into his repertoire. Consequently, you should simply think of this album as his suggestions as to which of his songs you should have been listening to on his later albums. The idea that this album contains new basic tracks, new performances and live vocals (forswearing re-mixes of earlier masters) is really not surprising given Lightfoot's devotion to his craft. So even if you have most of his recordings and there there are not any "new" songs to be heard on this album, you still get to experience the nuances of these new recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gordon LightMusic, Nov. 29 2001
Bob Waskiewicz (Wintersville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
Gordon Lightfoot is a fantastic storyteller,soft vocals,and not much production on most of the cuts.My personal favorite's,"Endless Wire,"(I love the chorus.Gordon uses his vocals as a great Instrument)"Make Way."(the stopping and starting of the guitar is so cool.Its very different from most of the songs)and "Ghost of Cape Horn." I'm not a huge fan of this artist,but always enjoyed his music.I know the hits,so this collection was a wonderfull sample of Gordon's music over the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars More stars folks, Oct. 22 2001
stephen webster (sterling, virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
I won't belabor this argument that I have with the ratings this cd has been given here. Three to four stars at least. Play "The Pony Man" for your kids. There are five or six excellent songs on here that just didn't make the early 80's radio cut when the powers that be took the first steps towards the hideous garrrbage that rules today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen, July 28 2001
Brian Kelly (Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
Recorded live on the floor, this is a fine album from Lightfoot and the long-time members of the Lightfoot band. Yes, the tracks do sound different than the studio versions fans have come to love over the years. But, if you enjoy the original version of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald that much, why not buy Summertime Dream? It's one of the best albums Lightfoot has produced in his career. Since Gord has but one live album to his credit, Sunday Concert from more than 30 years ago, I like to think of Volume II as my opportunity to listen to Gord as if he's performing on stage. Unfortunately, there's no tracks from a few of his latter albums including Salute ('Whispers of the North' is a contender) and East of Midnight ('I'll Tag Along' and the title track are both strong cuts). 'If it Should Please You' is a nice treat, but another one or two new tracks wouldn't have hurt. Regardless, here's a chance to hear some of Gord's songs in a different way. Check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Album that Improves with Listening, Feb. 14 2001
This review is from: Gord's Gold Volume II (Audio CD)
Wish I'd seen the excellent earlier review before buying. I thought I was getting the ORIGINAL Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald; this remake sounds as though Gordon was bored and just going through the motions. Maybe he'd sung it a few thousand times too many. At any rate, I was initially disappointed, but I listened to the album several times anyway. Guess what? Some of the songs "grew" on me. I especially like Pony Man, If It Should Please You, and Christian Island. I still wince when track 6 (Wreck) comes on, but all in all, I'd call it an enjoyable, but not great album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gord's Gold Volume II
Gord's Gold Volume II by Gordon Lightfoot (Audio CD - 1988)