summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$4.46+ $3.49 shipping

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on September 21, 2001
I'll try not to mention Graceland too often in this review. My one star review is not based on how unlike Graceland this sorry collection of dreary background music is. I understand what Paul Simon was trying to achieve with this album. Using South American musicians to create an ethnically-diverse collection sounds promising. It worked with the African and Cajun-filled Graceland album. The problem I have with this is that Rhythm Of The Saints lacks any memorable tracks, melodies or memorable lyrics. The lyrics are often self-indulgent and cryptic. The musical backings inexplicably often drown out Simon's vocals, which only adds to the misery. Mood music? To be judged as a whole album, creating an "atmosphere" rather than showcasing radio-friendly singles? Okay - I can accept that. I own several Latin-styled albums that are much more entertaining and listenable than this. Rhythm Of The Saints is, in comparison, dull and boring, a wasted opportunity. I had to play Jerry Lee Lewis after this to wake myself up.
on October 25, 1999
After the brilliance of GRACELAND, I was hoping for more in this follow-up. But the only thing worthwhile is "The Obvious Child." I try to listen to the other songs on this album, but I end up hitting the fastforward button. What a let down.
on April 10, 2001
For anyone expecting another Graceland, forget it! This album seems to have been put together very quickly because of Graceland's success. All the songs on this album are pretty much the same...spell that BORING! Lay down a rhythm track in the background and have Paul ramble in his non-melodious style. What's worse is that on this recording, Paul sounds like he's singing in Wrigley Field without a mic. His voice is overwhelmed by a tedious rhythm track. No...not all rhythms from other parts of the world is interesting, especially when the tempo and texture is all the same from one song to the next. Graceland gets 5 stars...this one gets ZERO if I could.