summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 28, 2016
Perfect. Shipped quickly and the item was as described. Love all the tracks on this cd. Thanks Neil!!
on March 24, 2016
My personal opinion, the best cd ever produced, expect for Old King. That song does not fit with the rest of the cd.
on March 18, 2016
Very happy about disc and shipping.
on November 5, 2015
Awesome thanks
on September 8, 2014
I expected a vinyl record, not a cd, so I was disappointed.
on August 10, 2014
Young when young. Great music.
on March 23, 2008
It strikes me that Harvest Moon is clearly a hearkening back to Harvest, released some 20 years earlier. As such, it (unfortunately) begs to be reviewed by comparison....I say unfortunately because my appreciation of this album dropped dramatically once I had heard Harvest again.

The magic of Harvest was that the themes and their presentation were varied and fresh, almost naive, Neil was pushing the cusp of his world, groping for his identity amidst the dramatically expanded world in front of him (thanks to his success as a very young musician).

Harvest Moon, while I will agree with other reviewers who note its overall quality, tightness of lyrics and seamless music, comes off as a well textured choreographed album. It has none of the quite rawness of Needle and the Damage Done or the angst of Alabama, nor really the expansive grace of Heart of Gold, let alone the introspective waltz meets boxing match of 'Old Man'.

Indeed, this brings us to what I see as the heart of the matter: Neil Young at the time of this record is a older man, and his record sounds like it, too much like it in fact given the emotion he brings his old and new songs alike in live concerts.

A major drawback for this album is the production. It is way to smooth, overbalanced. This dampens the variance in the songs, homogenizes their disparate textures.

There are some great songs on this album, and it sits well as a whole, but for me it never reaches up to fully grasp my attention, to make me really care about what he is singing about.

That said, I am much closer in age to the Neil Young that wrote and recorded Harvest than the one that wrote and recorded Harvest Moon. And there in may lie the difference.
on June 27, 2004
I can't say enough about this album. To me, it is his best work. He is an ever-changing musician, just when you think you know him, BAM he comes out with something different, yet not far off from what he is all about.
I absolutely love this work. I keep waiting for him to come out with something that is similar. I know he will. It is soft, melodic, wonderful. Everyone, not just Neil fans, will love this one.
Do yourself the favor, if there is one Neil album that you should buy it is this one.
on May 12, 2004
This is a great CD. I have listened to it many times.
"Harvest Moon" and "War of Man" are very good. "From Hank to Hendrix" is a very interesting. You get a lot of insight into Neil from this CD. Wonderfully Done!! :)
on March 2, 2004
"Harvest" is still a catchier album in terms of the music, but lyrically "Harvest Moon" is far more rewarding. The writing is richer and more mature, and while "Harvest" may be more tuneful, that's not to say "Harvest Moon" is lacking in melody. The CD is full of breezy, easy-going hooks, like the title track and "One of These Days," the latter unabashedly steeped in wistful nostalgia but perfectly sweet without ever sounding too sentimental. The best numbers are the first two, which are at the very least minor classics, and the last number, "Natural Beauty," which at 10 minutes is twice as long as anything else on the CD. It's a meditative, somber ecological song that is very evocative of how the natural world is slipping away, and it's beautiful in its spare arrangement, surrounding Neil and his guitar with an echo-drenched chorus (not digital echo, as Neil would want to point out) and a few mirimba notes.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's his best work, but it's one of his most accessible works, and a good entry point for anyone wishing to familiarize themselves with Neil's acoustic side.