5.0 out of 5 stars Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young!
Published on Jan. 9 2003 by celine ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars streets of fire
I loved the movie, but was disappointed when they did'nt use Stoney and the guys on the bus for "Countdown To Love" on the CD.
Where can I find out who the members of Fire Inc. are? Nowhere Fast and TIWIMTBY are the Bomb ! I give the movie "5 stars" but the CD "3 stars" because I felt cheated that "Countdown To Love" was not even close to being as good as it was in...
Published on June 25 2003 by PITCALKIDS@AOL.COM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young!, Jan. 9 2003
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
This soundtrack is one of the most enigmatic accompaniments to a movie I know! It maybe the fact that the movie is my all time favorite but each song tells a story. None more than the epic "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young". One of the strongest songs on the cd it will take you on an extensive journey and just when you think you have reached the end - theres more!
A great crew worked on the soundtrack - you wont be dissapointed
An absolute must buy cd for fans of the movie - but even if you havent seen it, the CD can certainly hold its own as a classic Rock album!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best you've never heard of, March 6 2004
The Tailpipe (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
The music on this CD is incredible. It boggles my mind that someone hasn't turned this into a Broadway musical yet (if it ever happens, you heard it here first). It would run for years! I just don't know who they'd find to match the power and range of Laurie Sergeant.
But back to the CD - The order of the tracks is not the same as the movie and the alternate version of "Countdown To Love" is somewhat lacking compared to the movie version. Also, "Deeper and Deeper" by the Fixx is good, but seems out of place. These minor quibbles aside, this atypical classic 80's rock soundtrack should be in every music lover's collection.
Jim Steniman, Ry Cooder, Tom Petty, Bob Seeger... the array of telent on this disc is outstanding. Most notable are the Jim Steniman compositions ("Nowhere Fast" and "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young") - pure GENIUS. If TIWIMTBY doesn't send chills up your spine, you're dead or ought to be.
Often overlooked are two numbers performed by the Blasters ("One Bad Stud" and "Blue Shadows"). These tunes HOT. "Sorcerer " (penned by Stevie Nicks) is a haunting lament that really suits the mood of the movie (as do mosst of the songs on the disc).
Fire, Inc. does an incredible job (who were these studio musicians and where are they now) and Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" was a huge single that played on the radio for months during the mid 80's. It's a shame much of the CD got little air play.
Anyway, do yourself a favor, buy the CD if you don't own it. Buy the DVD too. Hearing the music is one thing, but hearing it in context is another. You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steinman blesses us with his songs once again!, June 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
Here's my advice: Buy this CD. Put this CD into your CD player. Skip to track 6. Turn off the lights. Experience "Tonight is What it Means to Young". (It's best if you have surround sound as well). It's the kind of song you don't merely listen to, you "experience". I am a hardcore Jim Steinman fan and this was one I bought solely to add to my collection. I now don't know how I lived without "Tonight is What it Means to be Young". I would have to say it has become one of my favorite songs. I can't fall asleep at night without having listened to it. Steinman is a genius, he truly is. I have to admit I bought this soundtrack, as I mentioned, because I am a Steinman fan. I actually bought the soundtrack to a movie I've never seen or heard of! But I have to say, after listening to it, I presume the DVD will be arriving in my mailbox soon! Both Steinman songs are awesome, I also like "Never Be You", but they're all great. As another reviewer said, this is the kind of CD you can put on loop mode and listen to over and over again. Don't hestitate, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Hear For The Ear!, May 2 2002
Kate Pugh "vayankee" (Roanoke, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
This soundtrack is one of my "desert island" picks. You know the routine, "what 10 albums/CDs would you want to have if you were stranded on a desert island ..." routine.
I've worn out two cassette copies and am ordering 2 new copies on CD for the house and the car. I'm on my second copy of the movie - if you're feeling low about life and such, put in the CD and crank up "Tonight is What it Means to be Young" or "Nowhere Fast". I guarantee you'll be on your feet before the song is over.
If you like hot horns and a good driving beat, "One Bad Stud" will do it for you. Unlike a LOT of other soundtracks that tie in the music and the movie with an eye on marketing, this is NOT the case here! This is one that plays well from the first track all the way through to the end. Put it in the CD player, select 'continuous play', and you're set for hours!
If you haven't seen the movie yet, watch it if only for the cast performances - Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, Michael Pare, Diane Lane, a very young Willem DeFoe, even a small part for Bill Paxton! The blend of 50s settings, cars and clothing meshes beautifully with the driving music and 80s neon. They are worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars When the Music Makes the Movie, Feb. 18 2000
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
On the strength of two songs, I must give this album a perfect score. For those of you who might not know (it's pretty apparent in the production), Fire, Inc., the ensemble that performed Nowhere Fast and Tonight is What it Means to Be Young, was the brainchild of producer/songwriter extraordinaire Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler). There were three singers and a batch of session players including Steinman himself. One of the singers, Rory Dodd, was the male voice ("turn around bright eyes") in Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and also sang on a couple Meat Loaf songs. Oh and we can't forget Elaine Caswell, who was later in another Steinman project called Pandora's Box (they sang the original version of Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" - it's great).
Because of Nowhere Fast and TIWIMTBY, this album is incredible. They could have easily been rock opera songs and both are deserving of worldwide recognition. A third song, Stevie Nicks' "The Sorcerer" is a great song as well. Dan Hartman and Ry Cooder also offer strong material, but really, the focus should be on Fire, Inc.
In particular, TIWIMTBY should be everyone's "song". It is full of everything - a rock ballad intro that pulsates into driving drum rhythms and an angelic chorus of vocalists. The lyrics are astoundingly evocative and hyperbolic...yet identifiable. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend that you pick up this album. If the two Fire, Inc. songs had been written for a stronger movie or even a play, I guarantee they would have taken off.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great soundtrack, May 9 2000
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
I got the CD (from Amazon) without knowing the songs I liked most (Nowhere fast & TIWIMTBY) were from Steinman (Air Supply, Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dyon). Tho only one heard on radio was I can dream about you.
I don't recall other songs by Fire Inc. but the 2 in this CD are awesome pieces of art, the rest (besides I can dream about you) is merely filling stuff. Jim Steinman is a great composer, other songs from him I like a lot are I would do anything for love, Rock'n'roll dreams, Total eclypse of the heart, Coming all back to me, Making love out of nothing at all. All lyrics give the feeling it comes from deep inside and seems the heart is eager to tell them out loud, lead voice in Fire Inc. does that very good.
It's a must have CD (not to mention the movie).

5.0 out of 5 stars Restored Faith, Aug. 18 2000
Armando M. Mesa (Chandler, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
This was the soundtrack that restored my faith after listening to other soundtracks around the same time which reflected nothing more than the commercialized, over produced dance trends and music styles of the 80's. This excellent ensemble showcased just how soulful and artistic performers like Dan Hartman, Ry Cooder, and Fire Inc. were. It was very retro with respect to the rock and roll, doo-whop sound of the 50's and 60's while blending in more contemporary/modern sounds by The Fixx,Marilyn Martin and Maria Mckee. Fire Inc had a very unique style and quality of their own with elemental traces of rock opera reflecting West Side Story. Not a single track wasted or out of league; In sum, the album indeed told a rock n' roll fable...

5.0 out of 5 stars Streets of Fire, Aug. 29 2001
J. Hatzenbeller "The Book Meister" (Minneapolis, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
This has been one of my favorite soundtracks since I first viewed the movie when it came out in 1984. The group Fire Inc. is incredible. Dan Hartman, the Fixx and others are fantastic as well. The movie is one of a kind. It's surreal settings and 50's look was very cool. I still pull the video out every year or so to watch it. The soundtrack gets played more frequently. If you like Michael Pare in this movie and haven't seen Eddie and the Cruisers, that is another fantastic soundtrack reminicent of Springsteen's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unknown classic..., Feb. 2 2001
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
Streets of Fire is one of those movies where the movie itself may be mediocre, but the soundtrack is incredible. Fire Inc's "Nowhere Fast" and "Tonight is What It Means To Be Young" are classic examples of 80's rock and "One Bad Stud" is a great combination of rockabilly and swing.
One thing that is notable about Streets of Fire is the debt that many Japanese animation fans owe it... Streets of Fire (and it's soundtrack) were the inspiration for the anime classic _Bubblegum Crisis_.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest 'workout' CD ever made, Oct. 22 2001
"guerilla3089" (Cibola, Az. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable (Audio CD)
I first heard "Tonight is what it means to be young" well after the movie came out. I had to hear the rest of the sound track and bought the cassette. Then CD's came out, and I bought the CD. Now, its a staple of my "treadmill treasures," along with "Grease II", and Springsteen's "Born in the USA." I'm 48,and if you can listen to "Streets of Fire" without wanting find a concert and "rock 'till you drop", check your pulse.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable
Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable by Ry Cooder (Audio CD - 1994)