4.0 out of 5 stars Not A Sour Note Here..on the CD At Least
Why can't the great harmony group get along after the show? The Everlys, Beach Boys, CSNY, Simon & Garfunkel, Eagles...they scratched, clawed and fractured over professional or personal travails.
Published on Jan. 18 2000 by Anthony G Pizza

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Dreams 'Til Sunbeams Find You
The Mamas & The Papas were all over the artistic map. At Monterrey Pop--a festival Papa John Phillips was instrumental in organizing--they rocked. Yet, on many of their records they sound like a really tight Glee Club performing at your high school talent show.
"Monday Monday" and "California Dreaming" are Pop classics, but "My...
Published on May 22 2001 by David Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Dreams 'Til Sunbeams Find You, May 22 2001
David Bradley "David Bradley" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
"Monday Monday" and "California Dreaming" are Pop classics, but "My Girl" and "Dancing In The Street" are embarassing covers; "I Saw Her Again Last Night" is a personal and powerful rocker, while "Got A Feelin'" is a meandering bit of drivel.
So this is an up and down album. Thank heavens for "Dream A Little Dream Of Me," Mama Cass's little piece of perfection that can't be heard enough. She was a vastly under-rated singer (though she also appears to have been the member who pushed to have most of the questionable material put into the band's playlist), and this is her finest moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not A Sour Note Here..on the CD At Least, Jan. 18 2000
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The same is true of the Mamas & Papas, represented here in their best one-disc collection (originally released on ABC Records.) You hear personal pain and discord even as the group harmonizes about adultery and obsession ("I Saw Her Again"), loneliness in the city ("Twelve-Thirty," their signature song, "California Dreamin'"). Even their covers of Motown ("My Girl") and the Beatles ("I Call Your Name") seem somber in this context.
Then there's the underrated Cass Elliot, whose brash but nuanced versions of standards like "Dream A Little Dream of Me" only hint at what she could have been; the rock n'roll equivalent of Ethel Merman. All this turmoil was swept away in a vocal flow that reminded you of the best folk and pop harmony groups, from the Weavers to the Fleetwoods (whose "Outside My Window" sounded like a springboard for "Got A Feelin'") Here's hoping MCA re-releases this and lets the public decide which hits collection stays.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the definitive single disc hits collection, Sept. 28 2000
Bradley Olson (Bemidji, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I would like to make a note that the cassette/LP and CD versions of this compilation are different. The track listings that are on this site are the tracks on the Steve Hoffman remastered CD from 1986 and "Trip Stumble and Fall," and other tracks mentioned in one review are on the cassette/LP released in 1969. Nevertheless, this is one of the best single disc collections of Mamas & The Papas music.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best feel-good album I have ever heard!, Nov. 8 1999
Stephanie Sigmon (Fletcher, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The Mamas and the Papas were a great band while they were together, and now we have all their best on one single recording. Now, it's just too bad that it hasn't be rereleased. Everyone should be able to enjoy this album, whether or not it's been remastered. Maybe someone should look into that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The true greatests hits album!, Aug. 19 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have listened to this album ever since I knew who the Mamas and the Papas were. My parents have the original album and I now I have it and I would so love to have it digitally remastered. This album has their most memorable hits like: Monday, Monday and California Dreaming but also some of their lesser know hits like Trip, Stumble, and Fall; For the Love of Ivy, and Go Where you Wanna Go. It is the true greatests hits album, a must for the biggests fans!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing recording, Sept. 30 2000
Nat Hwylc "Peel" (Western Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is the only Mamas and Papas recording I have, but I'm glad to have this one, since it's truly one of their best compilations. I find it amazing that despite much personal turmoil, this group managed to produce such beautiful music. The harmonies are perfect, and many of them evoke strong emotion. I would recommend it to anyone who loves good (sixties) music. This CD obviously has most of The Mamas and the Papas' greatest hits, including California Dreamin', Monday Monday, and a personal favorite, Creeque Alley. This album chronicles good times and bad times of a great group. Hopefully it will be re-released soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Played to Death, April 6 2000
Rachael Doss Muldrow "rdm" (Greenville, SC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have a tape of this album which I "stole" from my mom! She bought it when I was about 7 years old and it's almost worn OUT. I was hoping to hop online and get two cd's; one for me and one to replace my mom's worn out tape! PLEASE-re-release this album!

1.0 out of 5 stars dont get me wrong!, July 17 2001
"paulkristi" (Mount Prospect, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This particular compilation is the reason that The Mamas and the Papas 2nd album has never been released on C.D! The Mamas and the Papas released 4 albums originally (not including "Live at Monterey Pop" or "people Like Us"). They were>(1) "If you can belive your eyes and ears"(2)"Cass,John,Dennie,Michelle-A.k.A self titled"(3)"Deliver"(4)"The Papas and The Mamas". Now, their 2nd album Cass,John,Etc. (self titled) was never released on cd because the picture on this compilation was originally the picture of their 2nd album except on the top border of the original their names appear in red letters and it doesn't say "20 greatest hits" on it. MCA made a bad call and decided to use the cover picture of the original second for a compilation probably never thinking that the original albums were ever going to be released on cd. the other 3 are on cd, have been for years, Live at monterey and people like us are also on cd.

4.0 out of 5 stars The "soundtrack" of a generation, April 6 2002
Reginald D. Garrard "the G-man" (Camilla, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
As I sat at work on another "MONDAY, MONDAY," I started to "LOOK THROUGH MY WINDOW, thinking about how "I SAW HER AGAIN LAST NIGHT." I decided to compose a little poem "DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE." It was easy to create "WORDS OF LOVE" as I told the pen to "GO WHERE YOU WANNA GO."
I sent it special delivery to "MY GIRL" who began to "TWIST AND SHOUT" with glee upon receipt of the testimony to our love. She hurried to my apartment without making a single "TRIP, STUMBLE, & FALL."
So elated were we that we decided to go "DANCING IN THE STREET."
Then I awoke from my slumbers, looked over at her to which she responded, "Did you "DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME"?
So, I didn't use all sixteen. Buy the CD and enjoy the songs and the memories.

3.0 out of 5 stars There Are Many Better Compilations Available, Jan. 3 2004
AvidOldiesCollector (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their 16 Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
As you will have noticed, there are over 40 CDs available on this legendary quartet, first formed in Los Angeles in 1965, many of them much better purchases than this MCA release.
First of all, there are no liner notes whatsoever, nor discography, so typical of most such compilations released by the major labels. And secondly, three of the tracks [6, 8, and 14] were not "hits" for the Mamas & Papas. In addition, they give us three uncharted B-sides - Got A Feelin' which backed Monday, Monday, Midnight Voyage which was the flip of Dream A Little Dream Of Me, and My Girl, the B-side to Do You Wanna Dance? - a # 76 in December 1968 and which itself is omitted.
Since this offers 16 tracks, and that is exactly the number of Top 100 Billboard hits they had for Dunhill and Dunhill/ABC between 1966 and 1972, this could have been turned into a 4-star CD with the omission of the non-hits and, in their place, the inclusion of Do You You Wanna Dance? as well as the following: Dancing Bear [# 51 in January 1968]; Safe In My Garden [# 53 in June 1968]; For The Love Of Ivy [# 81 in October 1968]; and Step Out [# 25 Adult Contemporary/# 81 pop in February 1972].
Another star would be assigned with the simple addition of a Few paragraphs in the insert telling us a bit of their background. For example, that Cass Elliot first appeared with The Mugwumps along with Denny Doherty of Halifax, Nova Scotia and Zal Yanovsky from Kingston, Ontario and who would later help form The Lovin' Spoonful. Fascinating information on John Phillips and Holly Michelle Gilliam Phillips also abound - something not overlooked by the distributors of some of the other group compilations available.

ARRAY(0xb0462864)

Their 16 Greatest Hits
Their 16 Greatest Hits by Mamas and Papas (Audio CD - 1990)