march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Kitchen Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 18, 1999
I have listened to this album ever since I knew who the Mamas and the Papas were. My parents have the original album and I now I have it and I would so love to have it digitally remastered. This album has their most memorable hits like: Monday, Monday and California Dreaming but also some of their lesser know hits like Trip, Stumble, and Fall; For the Love of Ivy, and Go Where you Wanna Go. It is the true greatests hits album, a must for the biggests fans!!
on September 28, 2000
I would like to make a note that the cassette/LP and CD versions of this compilation are different. The track listings that are on this site are the tracks on the Steve Hoffman remastered CD from 1986 and "Trip Stumble and Fall," and other tracks mentioned in one review are on the cassette/LP released in 1969. Nevertheless, this is one of the best single disc collections of Mamas & The Papas music.
on October 28, 2015
Really great music from back in "the day"! Really enjoyed it, and wish they were still recording!
on May 22, 2001
The Mamas & The Papas were all over the artistic map. At Monterrey Pop--a festival Papa John Phillips was instrumental in organizing--they rocked. Yet, on many of their records they sound like a really tight Glee Club performing at your high school talent show.
"Monday Monday" and "California Dreaming" are Pop classics, but "My Girl" and "Dancing In The Street" are embarassing covers; "I Saw Her Again Last Night" is a personal and powerful rocker, while "Got A Feelin'" is a meandering bit of drivel.
So this is an up and down album. Thank heavens for "Dream A Little Dream Of Me," Mama Cass's little piece of perfection that can't be heard enough. She was a vastly under-rated singer (though she also appears to have been the member who pushed to have most of the questionable material put into the band's playlist), and this is her finest moment.
on March 16, 2016
You probably have this or at least most of these cuts if you are at all interested in the Mamas & Papas but if they are a hole in your collection this is a good way to at least patch it over. I am really enjoying this collection.
on January 18, 2000
Why can't the great harmony group get along after the show? The Everlys, Beach Boys, CSNY, Simon & Garfunkel, Eagles...they scratched, clawed and fractured over professional or personal travails.
The same is true of the Mamas & Papas, represented here in their best one-disc collection (originally released on ABC Records.) You hear personal pain and discord even as the group harmonizes about adultery and obsession ("I Saw Her Again"), loneliness in the city ("Twelve-Thirty," their signature song, "California Dreamin'"). Even their covers of Motown ("My Girl") and the Beatles ("I Call Your Name") seem somber in this context.
Then there's the underrated Cass Elliot, whose brash but nuanced versions of standards like "Dream A Little Dream of Me" only hint at what she could have been; the rock n'roll equivalent of Ethel Merman. All this turmoil was swept away in a vocal flow that reminded you of the best folk and pop harmony groups, from the Weavers to the Fleetwoods (whose "Outside My Window" sounded like a springboard for "Got A Feelin'") Here's hoping MCA re-releases this and lets the public decide which hits collection stays.
on September 30, 2000
This is the only Mamas and Papas recording I have, but I'm glad to have this one, since it's truly one of their best compilations. I find it amazing that despite much personal turmoil, this group managed to produce such beautiful music. The harmonies are perfect, and many of them evoke strong emotion. I would recommend it to anyone who loves good (sixties) music. This CD obviously has most of The Mamas and the Papas' greatest hits, including California Dreamin', Monday Monday, and a personal favorite, Creeque Alley. This album chronicles good times and bad times of a great group. Hopefully it will be re-released soon!
on November 20, 2015
I don't often buy 60's music, but this is one I don't regret.
on November 8, 1999
The Mamas and the Papas were a great band while they were together, and now we have all their best on one single recording. Now, it's just too bad that it hasn't be rereleased. Everyone should be able to enjoy this album, whether or not it's been remastered. Maybe someone should look into that.
on April 6, 2002
As I sat at work on another "MONDAY, MONDAY," I started to "LOOK THROUGH MY WINDOW, thinking about how "I SAW HER AGAIN LAST NIGHT." I decided to compose a little poem "DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE." It was easy to create "WORDS OF LOVE" as I told the pen to "GO WHERE YOU WANNA GO."
I sent it special delivery to "MY GIRL" who began to "TWIST AND SHOUT" with glee upon receipt of the testimony to our love. She hurried to my apartment without making a single "TRIP, STUMBLE, & FALL."
So elated were we that we decided to go "DANCING IN THE STREET."
Then I awoke from my slumbers, looked over at her to which she responded, "Did you "DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME"?
So, I didn't use all sixteen. Buy the CD and enjoy the songs and the memories.