5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy the music of John Williams, buy this CD.
When I first saw the Back to the Future movie, I was simply amazed. What really got me excited was the "to be continued..." at the end. I could not wait for the second movie to come out. Anyway, I bought the soundtrack to the movie and re-lived the movie all over again.
Published on Dec 18 1999 by Jonathan Panossian

3.0 out of 5 stars This made me a Silvestri fan.
Published on Oct. 10 2002 by CindyLover1969

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars This made me a Silvestri fan., Oct. 10 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
When I saw "Back to the Future" as a teenager, not only did it become one of my all-time favourite movies, but it also played a major part in turning me on to movie scores; I know a lot of people bought it for the two Huey Lewis cuts and the other songs, but Alan Silvestri's score was what drove me to get this. Both Silvestri and the score have many fans - there's actually a website petitioning to get the actual music from the movie released, as the 11 minutes or so on the soundtrack [the short main theme and the 8-minute "Overture" - basically a suite, mostly taken from the storm climax] aren't heard that way in the movie; the version of the theme over the end credits has a more thrilling ending than the album version, for instance. (I heard some sound clips of the Varese re-recording and was NOT impressed.)
The songs are okay, but nothing really essential; more of the score would have made this a 5-star release. But fans can take heart from "Romancing the Stone" [finally released after 18 years]... we might get lucky!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie . . . Average Soundtrack, Nov. 27 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
As much as I love the "Back to the Future" series (they are my favorite movies of all time), I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed with this CD. I bought it expecting there would be some great film scores from the movie, but alas, that is not the case.
Not that what the CD offers isn't fine. This soundtrack does have the theme to the movie which is on Track 3 (a short version) and Track 6 (the long version). This is, in my opinion, Alan Silvestri's best work of all time. I sooooo want to play this score in our concert band, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.
Huey Lewis and the News were on top of the world when this movie came out, so their two songs in "The Power of Love" (Track 1) and "Back in Time" (Track 5) are featured on this CD. Lewis even makes a cameo appearance in the film, playing the part of someone who doesn't like Marty McFly's loud music.
My other favorite tracks, besides Tracks 3 and 6, are Tracks 9 and 10. Track 9 ("Earth Angel") is a memorable song that everyone who has seen the movie remembers. Who can forget that heart-pounding scene from the movie where Marty is about to be erased from existence? And Track 10 ("Johnny B. Goode") is an awesome song that is frequently played on my CD player. Unlike the movie version, however, this track plays the song in full. It doesn't cut into Marty doing his "rock'n'roll thing" in the middle of the song and creeping everyone out who attended the dance. Which is another classic scene from the movie, by the way.
In short, this soundtrack is okay. I am glad that I have it, since it rounds out the four music disks in the "Back to the Future" series, but I'm disappointed that so many of the musical score from the film was omitted from this CD. I don't know why we had to wait until the "Back to the Future Trilogy" CD came out to finally get the music from the first movie.
If you're a huge fan of this series, this CD will be a must. But if you're looking for film score music from the movie on this CD, you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great symphonic tunes, and Huey Lewis & The News to boot!, Feb. 11 2001
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
All right, I admit it... my main interest in picking this up was not for the instrumentals. Like most folks, I wanted it for the two cuts by Huey Lewis and The News, 'The Power of Love' and 'Back In Time'. Yes, I really dug on those 80's bubble-gum/retro pop tracks back in my middle school days, and I needed to complete my HL&N collection, okay? And don't laugh, cuz you bought this OST back then for the exact same reason, and don't you deny it! Besides, with the boom of the 80's nostalgia market nowadays- with TransFormers, G.I. Joe, Masters of the Universe, Voltron and John Hughes-directed movies being just a few examples- this soundtrack will be stylin' once again in no time!
But even though my reasons for owning this recording was to add to my library of Reagan-era pop, it did introduce me to the world of symphonic music. Up until that time, I never cared much for symphony, be it classical or modern. Alan Silvestri's efforts added just the right tone to the movies' many tense and exciting moments. His BTTF overture got me curious enough to check out the works of other great notable soundtrack composers, including Jerry Goldsmith (Star Trek I, V, VIII & IX, Total Recall), James Horner (Star Trek II, III), Basil Poledouris (RoboCop, Starship Troopers, Conan) and especially John Williams (The Star Wars & Indiana Jones Trilogies, Superman The Movie). Of course it also helps that I'm a big fan of the films that these composers wrote music for. Ironically, my interests in other Silvestri pieces is minimal. I don't even know any other movies he's scored tunes for aside from the BTTF trilogy!
This soundtrack also introduced me to Eric Clapton. Sadly, I was less than impressed by his '(Heaven is) One Step Away'. Fortunately, I discovered other Clapton tunes that changed my preconceptions about his talent and abilities. Lindsay Buckinghams' 'Time Bomb Town' is pretty paranoid, and isn't exactly a cut that makes for a comfortable listen. But the many other tracks more than make up for these less-than-stellar performances.
'Late

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy the music of John Williams, buy this CD., Dec 18 1999
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
All of the songs were good, but I fell in love with the songs that the orchestra played. I listen to the CD in my car and it really makes me want to have a lead foot until I reach 88 MPH. I know it sounds stupid, but this music can get you excited. The score for this movie was very well done. If you have bought the soundtrack to "Superman", you know how excited you can get.
What I thought was strange was one of the songs. Do you remember when Marty comes back from the past and can't get the car started? The song that was being played on the radio where that homeless person was sleeping on the bench is on the CD. If you ask me, tracks 3 and 6 are the best.
This CD is worth your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite CDs from my youth, Feb. 23 2001
Michael W. Howe (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
When I was 6, I saw Back to the Future for the first time. After that, I came to love special effects and film itself. Soon after, my parents bought a CD player (when they were brand new), and one of the first titles they purchased was this one. The first major track you hear is "Power of Love," by Huey Lewis and the News. The track was a billboard charter at the time of the film, and it's rhythm and beat are still catchy. Along with this song are "Time Bomb Town," "Heaven is one step away," and "Back in Time." But what really energized me was the "Back to the Future Overture," capturing the Alan Silvestri theme that is probably as well known as the Star Wars and Indiana Jones themes. The final 5-6 tracks contain music from the 50's, as well as a short but sweet audio of Johnny B. Goode. I rrecommend this CD, as well as Footloose, for that great mid-80's feel. You just can't get good movie soundtracks like this anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but funny, March 8 2003
THOMAS M REILLY JR (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
The music in this really is great. I'm a big fan of the oldies and the 80's so for me there was no going wrong. The orchestral piece written by Alan Silvestri is totally awesome too. It's inspiring almost. Make's me wonder why I can't write music like that. Anyway, the music is really great, but here's what I think is funny... if you look on the track list is says that Jonny B. Goode is performed by Marty McFly. Um, maybe I don't understand the way crediting artists on soundtracks works. But I don't think that is correct. Especially since Marty McFly's real name is Michael J. Fox (D'uh), and the voice singing it was definately not michael j. Fox's, and third Marty McFly is a fictional character. Why oh why do they give credits to a fictional character and not to the guy who actually sang the song in the movie? I just think thats funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Could have been Great, Jan. 25 2003
John H. Morrison (Stafford, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
This CD consists of music from "Back to the Future." It consists primarily of the rock and jazz oriented music used in the movie (even that heard on the homeless man's radio). The CD also has two tracks of the soundtrack theme. I would like to have heard more of the score, and also a couple of the popular tunes from the fifties, such as Mr. Sandman and The Ballad of Davy Crockett. As it is, when the orchestral music comes in on the third track, the change surprises one out of complacency.
It has probably the effect that jazz clarinetist Benny Goodman had on the listeners to one of his weekly radio show in 1937, when he invited a string quartet up and played a movement from Mozart's Clarinet Quintet.
Earth Angel, the song from the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, also developed an orchestral background near the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright "Future" Ahead - Wear Shades, May 31 2003
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
The now almost classic(?) soundtrack to the 1985 film boasts the only #1 hit that "Huey Lewis & The News" ever had. This, I think, is the first soundtrack that features the music of Alan Silvestri. The sad part, and the major flaw, is that there are only two tracks that feature any score material of his from the film ("Back to the Future Part II" is pretty much the same style score as the original "Future"). They are worth listening to, as well as "The Power of Love", and "Back in Time". "Time Bomb Town", and "Heaven is One Step Away" should have been replaced w/ Silvestri's memorable score (I'm positive that Lindsey Buckingham, Phil Collins, and Eric Clapton aren't putting these songs on top of there most proudest moments lists). Great soundtrack all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't get enough of these songs!!!, Jan. 2 1999
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
I generally consider myself to be a connoisseur of fine music and fine movie soundtracks, and this soundtrack is by far one of the best I have ever come across. I recently purchased this soundtrack, and the wide variety of music on this Compact Disc was quite pleasing to my ears, to say the least. The hits on this soundtrack range from Huey Lewis and the News' hits, "The Power of Love" and "Back in Time" to "Marvin Berry and the Starlighters" rendition of the classic "Earth Angel". And who could forget the classic score to "Back to the Future"! This CD is a "Goode" buy. There is so much to say about this soundtrack, words just don't do it justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, July 20 2001
"collision" (Cuiabá, MT Brazil) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Back To the Future Soundtrack (Audio CD)
A complete classic in modern science fiction movies, Back to the Future is a perfect film in all aspects, including music. If you've been a teenager in the 80s and saw this movie you know what I mean. As for the songs, see just how the 2 Huey Lewis pieces fit perfectly in the story. Or how the old songs make you remember of the romantic scenes. But the better ones are the instrumentals. And rarely do I like instrumental music so much in a movie. The sound ambient created by Alan Silvestri IS the "Back to the Future" heart and soul. Buy this, you won't be disappointed if you're a soundtrack fan. If you're not, this is a nice introduction to how a bunch of ten songs can make a great movie even greater.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Back To the Future Soundtrack
Back To the Future Soundtrack by Various Artists (Audio CD - 1985)