‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Doors, Hendrix, The Beatles - the HIP!!, July 15 1998
6sre@qlink.queensu.ca (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up To Here (Audio CD)
Americans who haven't heard The Tragically Hip don't know what they are missing. In Canada, the release of a new Hip album is almost a religious experience - for Henhouse, people lined up at midnight to buy copies. One music store I go to said they sell more copies of a new Hip album than they do of anything else except Pink Floyd - about 450 copies per week. I didn't think much of the Hip until I thought I should give them a listen because they are from my hometown. But from the first words of "Blow at High Dough", I was hooked: They made a movie once / In my hometown / Out at the speedway / Some kind of Elvis (eighties?) thing / Everyone was in it, for miles around / Oh, I ain't no movie star / But I can get behind anything" - blam, amazing guitar sound and they are off. The key to the Hip IMHO is Gord Downie. He is a poet, rocker, mystic in the tradition of Jim Morrison. The Hip's songs just aren't like other rock bands - musically a little maybe! ! but the lyrics are so cool. From New Orleans is Sinking: "I've got my hands in the river, my feet up on the banks, look up at the lord above and say Hey, Man, thanks" In a world of corporate rock and people who still get away with moon-June-spoon lyrics, Gord Downie comes across as a man possessed, a rock 'n roll visionary. I just hope he doesn't have any suicidal tendencies, because the world needs more Hip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Oct. 12 2013
This review is from: Up to Here (Vinyl) (LP Record)
This is the best Music On Vinyl release I have Bought. Full range sound Dynamic and nice quiet Vinyl. If you like this album and are thinking of getting it you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reissue, Oct. 2 2013
G. Walsh - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up to Here (Vinyl) (LP Record)
I won't go into the music. Anybody buying this already loves it. The pressing is excellent. It was made from a high quality digital master and if you have heard an original vinyl you might hear a difference but that's not to put down this reissue. Bass and drums thumping. Guitar and Gord's voice ringing out. Excellent wide soundstage with great separation of instruments. Yes it's expensive but a lot cheaper than a mint original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blow Some High Dough, July 29 2013
This review is from: Up To Here (Audio CD)
The Hip's BEST album as far as I am concerned, although Road Apples was probably their biggest selling album. Up to Here is what really made me pay attention to the Hip. If you can listen to this without tapping your feet and warbling along with Gordon Downie's vocals, maybe you need to drink more coffee. Basically I wore out a cassette [what's a cassette, Daddy?] of this album in high school and my original CD was scratched beyond all repair. I needed a fresh digital source so I bought it again. for me, a top 10 album all time. I think I got it for $5. Spend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've never heard The Hip, listen to this and get hooked, Jan. 19 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Up To Here (Audio CD)
This quality album is The Hip's second of their current collection of eight and is definately worth listening to over and over again. The album starts off with a great beat in "Blow at High Dough" and continues with "I'll Believe in You". Then comes The Hip's signature song "New Orleans is Sinking" which is probably the most popular Hip song ever. A personal favourite of mine includes "Trickle Down" along with the mellow "Thirty Eight Years Old". Everyone, not just Hip fans should give this album a shot, and be blown away by the Hip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get It!, March 20 2014
This review is from: Up to Here (Vinyl) (LP Record)
Are you kidding? You already Love The Hip if your looking for them on Vinyl so I will not waste your time talking about how fabulous they are. But 180 gram High quality digital master, excellent press means Get it!
super fast shipping, very very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up To Here, Feb. 24 2014
This review is from: Up to Here (Vinyl) (LP Record)
You can hear the spirit of New Orleans. My favorite of their earlier works. Great songs from beginning to end. A must have record.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Greatness In a Canadian Rock n Roll Band, June 12 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Up To Here (Audio CD)
The American listening audience has not been bitten by the Hip bug as Canada has been. This group can rock! The tracks off this album that were the first signs of greatness, "Blow at High Dough", "Boots or Hearts" and the tune that set this album apart "New Orleans Is Sinking" This album should be every music lovers collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Oct. 25 2010
This review is from: Up To Here (Audio CD)
Awesome band, awesome CD. One of the greatest Canadian bands ever. I must say, my favourite band in the entire universe. Gord Downie and the Hip are GODS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, Jan. 20 2008
L. Meagher (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up To Here (Audio CD)
My favorite Hip Album of all time. All Canadian Rockers should have a copy in their collection!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Up To Here
Up To Here by Tragically Hip (Audio CD - 1990)
Click for more info