5.0 out of 5 stars A GUY FROM NEW ORLEANS SAYS IT'S THE BEST LOUIS OF THEM ALL!
Published on March 10 2004 by hedwigschmidt

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, arrangements reminiscent of '50s movies
I wish I'd not listened to all the positive reviews here. I keep making this mistake. So here's another opinion.
What a Wonderful World is lovely.
The rest, except for Skokian, is not the Louis Armstrong I wanted to hear. The background voices and the arrangements remind me of some Hollywood Epic, or one of those movies where the stars prance down a broad...
Published on Nov. 19 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A GUY FROM NEW ORLEANS SAYS IT'S THE BEST LOUIS OF THEM ALL!, March 10 2004
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
1 KNOW THERE ARE A LOT (ABOUT 35, ACTUALLY) OF LOUIS ARMSTRONG'S GREATEST HITS CDs OUT THERE. I HAVE 31 OF HIS TAPES AND CDs MYSELF! JAZZ IS MY FAVORITE MUSIC (THAT AND GOTHIC/INDUSTRIAL), AND BEING ORIGINALLY FROM NEW ORLEANS, DOWN SOUTH, I HAVE HEARD MORE JAZZ THAN MOST. BUT I JUST HAVE TO SAY THAT OF ALL THE LOUIS BEST ALBUMS, THIS ONE CONTAINS THE MOST OF HIS REALLY, TRULY BEST NUMBERS.
THE MOST POPULAR SONGS ON THIS RECORD INCLUDE: MACK THE KNIFE, HELLO DOLLY, WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD, BLUEBERRY HILL, LA VIE EN ROSE, WHEN IT'S SLEEPY TIME DOWN SOUTH AND MANY MORE--ALL GREAT!!! MY FAVORITE TWO ARE "SKOKIAAN" AND "SITTIN' IN THE SUN." THERE ARE 18 TRACKS TOTAL, AND HONESTLY, I NEVER WANT TO FAST FORWARD THROUGH ANY OF THEM!!!
I LISTEN TO THIS CD CONSTANTLY (IT'S PLAYING NOW!!!!) AND I NEVER TIRE OF ITS UP-LIFTING, SWINGIN', CAN'T HELP BUT SMILING AND LAUGHING COLLECTION. IT'S SUCH A "FEEL GOOD" CD THAT I GIVE IT TO MY DEPRESSED FRIENDS TO CHEER THEM UP. IT WORKS; I SWEAR! AND I DON'T MIND ADMITTING THAT IT HAS GOTTTEN ME OUT OF MANY BAD MOOD.
AS THE BEATNIK'S WOULD SAY, "THIS MUSIC MAKES YOU SOAR, MAN!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Louis Armstrong Was The Epitome Of Jazz And Always Will Be, Sept. 16 2003
AvidOldiesCollector (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The above caption comes from the seven pages of wonderful liner notes written by Will Friedwald, the author of Jazz Singing, and is attributed to the great Duke Ellington. Who, it is safe to say, knew what he was talking about when it came to Jazz.
Interspersed with the notes are a few more photographs of Louis and several LP/45/78 reproductions. A discography of the contents completes the package, although chart performances are not recorded.
Louis, of course, was selling thousands upon thousands of records long before there were charts, and after the advent of the Most-Played Juke Box Race Records charts [now R&B charts) in the mid-1940s, he had hits with I Wonder (#5 in 1945) and The Frim Fram Sauce (# 4 in 1946 in a duet with Ella Fitgerald). That same year he and Ella cracked the pop charts with You Won't Be Satisfied Until You Break My Heart (# 10) backed with Bob Haggart & His Orchestra. None of these, unfortunately, are included here.
In 1949 he made it to both charts simultaneously with That Lucky Old Sun [track 7] on which he began a lucrative association with Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra [# 14 on what had become known by then as the Most-Played Juke Box Rhythm And Blues Records charts] and # 19 pop. That, incidentally, would be the last time he would chart on anything related to R&B.
From there until 1966 he would chalk up 18 more pop hits, mostly for Decca, but also for the Capitol, Columbia [Mack The Knife], Kapp, ABC, and Mercury labels. In this volume you get all but the # 30 1950 duet with Ella, Can Anyone Explain? (No, No, No), Now You Has Jazz, a 1956 # 88 duet with Bing on Capitol from the film High Society, So Long Dearie (# 56 in 1964 for Mercury), and Mame (# 81 in 1966 for Mercury).
What A Wonderful World first charted at # 12 on the Adult Contemporary Charts in 1966 for ABC, and in 1968 a re-release "bubbled under" on the Billboard pop charts at # 116. However, following the release of the film Good Morning Vietnam it reached # 32 pop in 1988 for A&M, and in 1999 the same recording, overdubbed by the sax of Kenny G, reached # 53 for the Arista label.
The sound quality on all tracks is superb and this is one of the best CDs on the market covering his hit singles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 23 2003
Russanne (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a Very Good cd listen to 11

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Wonderful CD, Jan. 1 2013
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
product arrived quickly, wrapping was perfect. Highly recommended! Great for listening to on it's own or as background music when having guests over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smiles and Tears: Perfect Introducton to Jazz, March 7 2003
The Law (Windham, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Louis Armstrong brought such emotions to my music collection. My, a child grew up on rap, fell in love with and old dead man and his beautiful songs. He introducted me to jazz music and expanded my horizons.
That was three years ago. I now am a jazz fanatic. Louis brought my jazz life out of the womb. This ablum lacks the great early jazz recorded by Satchmo and some increditable duets with Ella Fitsgerald and many more. But one CD can only be so long and like I said a perfect introduction to jazz music specifically Louis Armstrong. God Bless and RIP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alltime Great- NO DOUBT About it!, Feb. 13 2003
jbembe (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I work with a very diverse group of individuals. Despite our differences, one of the favorites of my collection that everyone enjoys is this collection of louis armstrong favorites. This music feels like part of life itself, I can't imagine not knowing these songs. Simply great art and wonderfully done music. Perfect for a sun soaked sunday with lemonade or tea in the summer. Or just any time for that matter, great soothing enjoyable alltime classics. Treat yourself to something great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Me Smile!, Oct. 24 2002
Abby Robinson (Emporia, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I love to listen to Louis's voice! He always sounds cheerful and playful (as in "I Still Get Jealous"), yet mellow. One of my other favorite songs is "Kiss to Build a Dream On"

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real King, Aug. 23 2002
Gumbeaux13 (New Orleans, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
In my humble opinion, Louis Daniel Armstrong is one of the great musical and cultural icons of history. I admit to being biased in that I'm from the birthplace of Jazz. Nonetheless, it's a mighty task to rate any compilation of Mr. Armstrong's recordings given his long and brilliant career as 'America's Music Ambassador'.
Actually I give this collection 4 1/2 stars. The only reason I deduct half a star is that I would have liked this to be a 2-CD collection so some of his other classics like "All Of Me", "Ain't Misbehavin'", "Indiana", "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans" and a few others could have been included.
But make no mistake: If you have to choose one collection to buy , this is a sure-fire winner. The song "What a Wonderful World" is truly the perfect song for Satchmo to leave us with. Many others have put it much more eloquently than I am able to but I feel we all, especially those lovers of Jazz, owe much to this man, not only as a pioneer of Jazz trumpet and vocals, but also as a very genuine human being. Anytime he appeared on film, played on stage, or performed on record, Louis Armstrong helped to make this 'A Wonderful World' for us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all !, March 19 2002
HIFI enthusiast "ast" (S.F. Bay Area, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The songs, the sound quality is superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is it - The Greatest Hits, March 12 2002
W. Grandy (windsor, nova scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It's unbelievable this album sounds so good when it was recorded years ago. All the songs you love are here and done in only the style Louis could do it. The 'song 'Gone Fishin' with Bing Crosby is a bit of a dud but other than that, pick it up and let it roll.

All Time Greatest Hits
All Time Greatest Hits by Louis Armstrong (Audio CD - 1995)