march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family SmartSaver Furniture

• Tommy

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 9, 2004
When people talk about The Who's Tommy, they generally seem to focus on the form rather than the content of the album. Listeners will comment on the originality of Townshend's application of opera sensibilities to a rock and roll album, and so on and so forth. Yes, it's true, what made The Who's Tommy a major hit rather than a pop-culture after-thought was its structure and distinction as the first "Rock Opera," but I believe that the most artistically redeeming quality of the album is its message.
During a time when psychedelic experimentation was the order of the day, The Who had the intestinal fortitude to release an album preaching transcendence through spiritual exploration. Tommy is a wholesale rejection of the entire psychedelic culture dominating the late 60's and a plea for spiritual enlightenment. More than just great music, Tommy is an album with purpose and a positive message.
on May 3, 2014
The 5.1 mix does not produce a great soundstage like the sadc version. The drums are sticked at The left rear speaker, The electric guitare at The right front speaker. The bass is at The left speaker and The centre channel is not used significantly. You are always confronted with an x listening pattern (rear left_rigth front pattern). This is very annoying. In the future i will be very selective with product mix by bob Britten and Richard Whittaker. why not hired Steven Wilson or Nick Davis that do great job in The 5.1 music mix world. I give a 4 stars not for the 5.1 mix, but for the high fidelity sound crisp, clear and precise of the stereo mix.
on September 21, 2014
It may be a good audio disk if one hasn't heard the SACD mix. It is a bit lean and edgy. The SACD mix is warmer and has more "body". The graphics and menu are excellent
on July 10, 2006
Let's face it: 'Tommy' was The Who's final attempt to make it in show business. Even Pete said that if this didn't work, The Who were finished.

I got 'Tommy' as part of a birthday present from a friend of mine (and I nearly choked him to death (in a good way) when I saw the album cover). That being said, I think that 'Tommy' is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. It's right up there with Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt. Pepper, Highway To Hell, and Led Zeppelin IV. It's a great way to get introduced to The Who if you're not all for buying a lame greatest hits compilation. You'll find NO FILLER on here at all despite the long list of songs, and what other listeners may say. Every track is worth listening to. Highlights include: 'Overture', 'Amazing Journey', 'Eyesight To The Blind (The Hawker)', 'Sparks' (one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard), 'Cousin Kevin', 'Acid Queen', 'Pinball Wizard', 'Sally Simpson', and 'Miracle Cure'.

Add this to your Who collection mates!
on May 14, 2004
The Who's fourth studio album Tommy was released in May of 1969. This album was the make or break for the group because if Tommy had failed, The Who would have probably disbanded. Guitarist Pete Townshend came up with a rock opera about a deaf, dumb and blind kid named Tommy whom becomes those aforementioned things after witnessing an event as a child that traumatized him(his father killing his step-father whom he considered his father). Alot of classics appear on this album like the Overture, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, the Underture(best instrumental on here), Go to the Mirror, I'm Free, Cousin Kevin(one of bassist John Entwistle's greatest compositions), Fiddle About(about the perverted Uncle Ernie), Tommy's Holiday Camp(another excellent ditty written by drummer Keith Moon whom did an excellent rendition in the film version of Tommy in 1975) and the finale We're Not Gonna Take It among many other classics. The 1996 remaster used different masters for the remixed reissue. However, this version uses the very original tapes that were found in Universal's vault after being said that the original tapes were destroyed by Kit Lambert in a fire. As a result of the discovery of the original tapes, the sound quality is amazing on here. I have yet to hear the surround mix but I know it will be great. Disc two has great outtakes and demos like I Was, The Who trying to record Sally Simpson with hilarious results and instrumental versions of Tommy Can You Hear Me and Tommy's Holiday Camp among many other rarities. Highly recommended.
on May 6, 2004
The original versions of these songs I have to say are better than any I've heard. Sure, some of the songs on the movie soundtrack are pretty good(i.e. Cousin Kevin, The Acid Queen, Sally Simpson, Fiddle About). But, others on this album are far better(I'm Free, Pinball Wizard, Christmas, It's A Boy, Amazin Journey).
After hearing this album, I really want to write a rock opera myself.
Overture - 10/10
It's a Boy - 10/10
1921 - 10/10
Amazing Journey - 10/10
Sparks - 10/10
Eyesight to the Blind - 10/10
Christmas - 10/10
Cousin Kevin - 8/10 - I think the movie version is better. But, this one is equally good. Slow and melodic and creepy. =D
Acid Queen - 7/10 - I really love Tina Turner's version better.
Underture - 10/10 - Just beautiful to listen to all by itself.
Do You Think it's Alright? - 10/10
Fiddle About - 7/10 - Very good, but I prefer the movie version.
Pinball Wizard - 10/10 - Better than the movie version.
There's a Doctor - 10/10
Go to the Mirror - 10/10
Tommy, Can Your Hear Me? - 10/10 - Very folk sounding. And when they get to saying 'Tommy' over and over, sounds like a broken record. Very good. =)
Smash the Mirror - 10/10 - Very good to dance to.
Sensation - 10/10
Miracle Cure - 10/10 - Interesting little 12 second song.
Sally Simpson - 10/10 - I love this song.
I'm Free - 10/10 - Good music.
Welcome - 10/10 - Very laid-back song.
Tommy's Holiday Camp - 10/10 - This song is very fun and creepy in a way.
We're Not Gonna Take It - 10/10 - Better than the movie and a great way to end the album.
This album is nice to listen to on a rainy day or on a long car trip.
on April 20, 2004
The first Who cd i bought was the Millennium Collection. I became obsessed with it and then I read the reviews. It made me realize that this timeless band was MUCH better even than I thought it was. Tommy is WOTHOUT A DOUBT a masterpeice. Some people think that a rock-opera is a silly idea. These people are ignorant and have no paitence, and most definitely have no taste in music. But I'm reviewing the actual album, right? OK.
Tommy is an album composed by Pete Townsend (*John Entwistle wrote "Fiddle About" and "Cousin Kevin"). in the late 60s. It was released in mid-1969. Tommy is a story about a deaf, dumb, and blind boy who "sure plays a mean pinball." Tommy's father dies in battle before he is born, and his Mother tries to raise him. She meets another man and they wed. WHat happens next is the beginning of Tommy's journey that you will have to figure out for yourself.
Now, my biggest reccommendation to you besides buying the album is listening to it all the way through. If you don't the story literally means nothing and the songs seem very out of place. Do yourself a favor. Listen to it all the way through 2 or 3 times before you start skipping around to your favorite songs. You will thank me later, trust me. There are many tracks, but some are very short. Also, people who just try to pick out favorites completely overlook the less famous, but equally fantasic songs like 'Sally Simpson,' 'I'm Free,' The Acid Queen,' 'Cousin Kevin,' among others.
All in all, Tommy is a very highly recommended album, especially for every rock fan's library. Don't be fooled by the genre; "Rock-Opera." It is much more like a rock album. also, don't listen to people who say you should by all of their singles albums before you buy the concept albums (Tommy, Quadrophenia, and the debatable Who's Next). This is not true. Don't let Tommy be the first Who album you listen to, because it will be a lot to handle, and try to get a Who compilation first, but Tommy is a great intro. to their albums. The ultra-cheap Millennium Collection will do just fine for the compilation.
Happy listening!
on February 18, 2004
AMAZON.COM SHOPPERS:BEWARE OF INSINCERE CRETINS LIKE "FRED" AND "AUBURN" WHO HIT THIS PAGE BY ACCIDENT AND DECIDED TO SLAM THIS RELEASE. IT'S VERY TRANSPARENT THAT THEY NEVER ACTUALLY LISTENED TO IT. I CAN ONLY PONDER THAT THEIR BRAIN DAMAGE WAS CAUSED BY TOO MUCH NICKELBACK, COLDPLAY AND OTHER WHINEY, NOTHING BANDS.
Tommy never sounded better than in this hybrid SACD release. I don't have an SACD player, but have played other Hybrids on my normal player, and have noticed a vast improment in depth, clarity and overall dynamics. Pete's guitar, John's bass, Moon's drums and Roger's voice NEVER sounded more remarkable.
The bonus disc is a winner too. A few of the cuts are just the instrumental backing tracks. I find myself doing Kareoke to them. Pete and Roger have nothing to worry about with regard to my singing ability. The real treat is the studio chatter between Pete and Keith on track 7. Absolutely hilarious! This bonus disc is not just for avid collectors or completists only.
on January 24, 2004
I have become an avid fan of SACD's in a short time. I have an SACD player with all the cords, the right receiver, and all the speakers. I have Pink Floyd, many of the Dylan remasters, the Police and even Elton John. The incredible clarity and experience of SACD's has me buying them just for the experience of the sound, it's that good. I recently purchased the Who - Tommy almost solely based on the fact it was an SACD. The sound is probably on par with Elton John's Yellow Brick Road, and right up there with the Pink Floyd. although it's more akin to the early Dylan efforts in some aspects, mono in stereo? For that alone it's cool.

Yet, it's really hard to believe this album has gotten the amount of kudu's it has over the 30 plus years it's been in existence. I mean, yeah, Keith Mooon's drumming is pretty wild but listening to it on SACD seems to be about the only way to really enjoy this album at all. So much of it is awkward and lacking in confidence. Who's Next absolutely blows it out of the water within the Rock n' Roll pantheon. I sort of wish rock history would be able to discern great works from some of these pretentious albums that continue to be considered important. And this comes from a fan of the Kinks, including Arthur and Village Green. At least those seem to have some sort of pastoral themes that continues to be an important theme in western art. But a blind guy playing Pong? It doesn't really have any resonance...
Having said that, the album is of incredible audio quality. I would gladly pay another $$ to get Who's Next on SACD. Hopefully, we will see quite a few new releases this year...
on January 17, 2004
This was not my first SACD purchase, but it's the one I'm most satisfied with to date. I'll assume you're familiar with the original recording, agree with me that it is one of the most significant rock albums of all time and give you the reasons why I think should you pick this up in addition to your vinyl or '96 CD remaster. First and foremost, there's the superb 5.1 surround mix. (Some performances were just meant to be heard in surround sound, and probably would have been mixed that way had the technology been available.) Done by Pete Townshend himself using the original 8-track master, this new mix has startling clarity and definition, and presents most of the vocals without reverb or echo. Listening to it, I felt as if I were sitting on the studio floor while the band was recording around me. The wealth of additional material on the second disc includes a studio version of "Young Man Blues" as well as songs left off the original release, alternate takes and instrumental only tracks. Also included are several of Townshend's laboriously made home demos, which give greater insight into the creative process behind the Who's repetoire and the development of this milestone album. The booklet provided features an informative essay and candid snapshots of the band and producer Kit Lambert taken during the recording sessions.
Something I learned reading the essay that might be of interest to those of you who don't own a SACD capable system is that the original master of "Tommy" had been missing and presumed destroyed, and that previous CDs had been mastered from an alternate 'sweetened' by Kit Lambert. While remixing this project, Townshend discovered the original master tape, and used it for the stereo SACD and CD mixes included here, so for the first time on CD, you can now hear the mix the band signed off on back in 1969.