5.0 out of 5 stars Make a Joyful Noise Before the Lord
Published on June 12 2004 by Randy Keehn

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good recording
Overall I was happy with this recording of one of my favorite musicals. It's basically all there (fans of the movie may be surprised to find "Could We Star Again Please" left out), and the music/singers are pretty much on par with their characters.
Published on Feb. 12 2004 by TrezKu13

5.0 out of 5 stars Make a Joyful Noise Before the Lord, June 12 2004
Randy Keehn (Williston, ND United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
My daughter asked me for a CD of "Jesus Christ Superstar" for her birthday. I explained to her that there is one version that is in a class by itself; the original London Cast version. The elements of the orchestration as well as the quality of the singing add up to an unforgettable performance. The orchestra moves the musical story along with elements of feeling that really adds to the emotion of the "rock opera" and does so with the fullness that a mere stage orchestra cannot match. I have seen the Broadway version twice and I can sing its' praises. However, that was a visual experience and the recording is different. This is the best in the audial experience. The problem with most popular music is that we always seem to focus on a song as being best presented in the way we first heard it. I hope I'm not caught up in that trap with promoting this version. I really feel that there is a special quality to this version.
I guess, for those unfamiliar with the subject matter, a few words about the content would be in order. "Jesus Christ Superstar" is a sort of elongated passion play put to music with new "interpretations" on the original story. A modernized version, if you will,done poetically, thoughtfully and with often challenging results. In that sense, there was a degree of controversy when it came out. However, the "noteriety" was nothing compared to other works such as the play "The Deputy". What the authors seem to be trying to say is that the message of Jesus Christ was so important to the world. Therefore, why did He appear in such a backward place at such an obscure, otherwise-forgotten place in history. "Israel...had no mass communication" was one of the many puzzlements the authers bring out. Most characters go through at least some degree of revision although some of it was intentially done for comic relief. This is NOT "The Passion of Christ" nor is it necessarily an attempt at theological revisionism. Some people will recoil at perceived "heresy" but I suspect most mainstream Christians will find it enjoyable and complementary to their own faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Praised be His name!!!, Nov. 11 2013
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I grew up listening to this rock opera and know every bit of it word for word....I shall spend many hours spent in prayer listening to these masterpieces!! Thanks Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good recording, Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I only have a few negative things to say: as for the cast, I had a problem with one of the Pharisees, who was fairly good except for some reason his first note in every line sounded scratchy. I got used to it after a while, but it caught me offguard at first and I kind of smirked at it. The guy's a good singer, I don't want to sound belittling to him at all, just that those first notes always seemed off...
My other problem was that the editor/tracker/whatever must have been poorly paid for this production. Some songs come too soon after the last one as if the cast were rushed. Also, some of the songs don't end before the next track, but rather after the next track begins (for example, "I Don't Know How to Love Him"). I think it was only for three or four songs, but surely some one should have picked up on that before this thing went into market. Tsk tsk!
However, this is the copy I currently own, and its the copy I currently listen too. Its still a good musical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliving my Youth, Aug. 13 2011
Michael James "HBO Addict" (Montreal Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
My brother had an 8 track version of Jesus Christ Superstar that I listened to incessantly. I had forgotten just how much I loved it until making the decision to purchase it as part of my 'turning 50' package. I have been listening to it over and over in my car for the last month, appreciating it anew on a whole new level. What a great piece of storytelling! This is the definitive version, no doubt about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars JCS Original Cast, April 4 2007
david (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
My brother was the one who introduced me to this wonderful recording. I have been hooked ever since. I purchased it on vinyl years ago, but with time I had lost the recording. I have now found it on cd and am waiting for it to arrive. I used to listen to it at Easter and during times when I was depressed. It has the original voices that I know and I enjoy to the fullest. There are other recordings that people enjoy better, but personally, the original cast is far superior. When it arrives, I will listen remember and enjoy the music and the story for many years to come..

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply stunning performance!, July 14 2004
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I watched the movie before, but this is my first recording of JCSS. I must say that I love it even more so than the movie! This is a stunning rock opera that chronicles the last week (or few days... I'm not sure) of Jesus Christs' life. You see the story through the eyes of Judas (Murray Head), the tortured friend of Jesus who can't seem to understand why Jesus does things the way he does. Won't people start talking if he hangs around the dirty whore Mary Magdalene (Yvonne Elliman)? Judas just can't understand Jesus, and he feels that maybe Jesus is not the man he thought he might be. Why is Jesus saying things like he is the Son of God? If he doesn't watch out, trouble will come! I think that Murray Head is a marvelous Judas because he puts so much emotion in the part, and you actually wish you could hug and comfort Judas when he realizes that he has caused the death of Jesus and can't turn things around. He realizes that it was his fate to be the man to turn Jesus over and is tortured with guilt and confusion. "Superstar" sounds fun and is excellent, but it actually examines the deep question of why it was Judas that had his name bloodied and dragged through the mud of history. Ian Gillan plays Jesus, and I prefer him over the man in the movie because Gillan has more compassion in his voice, and it's not as shrill as some actors make it. "Gethsemane" will bring you to tears because it is so beautifully done! Yvonne Elliman has one of the most beautiful rock voices out there and is perfect for the part of Mary. "I don't know how to love him" is perfectly done! Barry Dennen is also the perfect Pilot. You can hear his frustration when he sings, and he is a wonderful voice actor. Mike D'Abo is a much better Herod than the one in the movie. I highly recommend this recording because of how beautiful it is. Get this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not the greatest., June 8 2004
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I'm a devoted fan of Jesus Christ Superstar. I think Webber reached here the maximum level of composition and freshness. Great riffs, drumming and arrangements. But this version of the Mythical Show is not the best. I'm also a fan of Deep Purple, but i don't agree with other reviewers. The deep, broken voice of Ted Nelly brings the power and rage of a man that is about to die and doesn't want to. Carl Anderson is the most brilliant Judas i've ever seen and heard. The duel between Judas an Christ after the supper looses most of its drama and anger in this recording, while in the movie is simply the best piece of all the soundtrack, helped by these two tremendous voices of Nelly an Anderson. I think there's a TIE between the movie and the concept album. Music, for example, is more ellaborated(don't know how to say exactly what i want in english)in the studio album than in the movie. But i Think the movie cast is better than the studio album

5.0 out of 5 stars My God... !!!!, April 28 2004
Patrick N. J. McCaffery "myspace.com/vadervader" (The Patcave|Farmingdale, New York 11735-5229|U.S.A.|patricnasty@yahoo.com|myspace.com/vadervader) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
If I could give this 10 stars, it still would not be able to describe how amazing, moving and powerful this recording is. Ian Gillan is the ONLY Jesus; do not even attempt to put Ted Neeley in the same galaxy as Ian. As everyone before me has agreed, noone has EVER equaled his performance in Gethsemane. Murray Head's Judas is a complex and tragic character; a victim of God and of fate. I realise that this will rub some of you the wrong way, so I will bring up something in this review that has really stayed with me since I was able to comprehend the sick idea of fate and "God's will". The last words of Judas and Pilate's dream.
Judas' last words:
"My mind is in darkness now! My God... I am sick, I've been used... and you knew all the time!!! My God, I'll never, ever know why you chose me for your crime?! Your foul, bloody crime! You have murdered me! You have murdered me, murdered me, murdered me, murdered me, murdered me, murdered me, murdered me!!!"
In his last moments on Earth, Judas realises that his sole reason for existance, the reason he was born was to betray a man whom he really did love. The same fate with Barry Dennen's Pontius Pilate. If you listen to the last verse of "Pilate's Dream" it sends a chill down your spine:
"Then I saw thousands of millions crying for this man; and then I heard them mentioning my name and leaving me the blame..."
Pilate DID NOT WANT to have Jesus die. He saw that He was innocent; but, God intended Pilate to sentence Jesus to death and even a dream could not change God's will and so, now and forever, Pontius Pilate will be considered the man who killed Jesus. Pretty disturbing if you ask me. I realise that I have probably ruffled alot of feathers or gotten a few proverbial goats. If any one would like to discuss this with me, I would be happy to talk and philosophise with you. My email address is patricnasty@yahoo.com and I welcome all people for a friendly discussion. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Essential To A Rock Library, March 12 2004
Howard Ross "Howard Ross" (Ocean City, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I agree with everything in the Mort Trader review - except that Ted Nealie's performance in anyway touched Ian Gillian's - the movie sound track is desicated compared to this version - i was a Deep Purple fan - but i never heard Gillian sing with the depth of emotion presented here - he'll be remembered for this performance - the emotion laden lyrics are chilling - i generally like alternate interpretations - the Cure's version of Purple Haze is KILLER - but as other's have mentioned - this is a ROCK opera -this album is one of the defining albums in rock history - i used to listen to my dad's vinyl secretly when he was out with my mother (i was 11 when it was released) i know every word of the lyrics to this day - and im not one that picks up lyrics easily - rarely has a rock band been so organiclly integrated with orchestra as on this recording

4.0 out of 5 stars Can this be topped? probably not!! Webber/Rice at their best, Dec 29 2003
Marcus J. Viduya "MJV" (Campbell, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I bought this for one reason: Ian Gillan. Hearing the Deep Purple/Black Sabbath vocalist in the role of Jesus makes this Rock opera less opera and more ROCK. Murray Head and Yvonne Elemen do great also. I've seen a few plays and heard a few recordings, and the only one who comes close to matching this intensity is Gary Cherone (Van Halen, Extreme, Tribe of Judah). But he isnt Ian, and if Gillan, Webber, and Rice are not enough to buy this and enjoy, then I cannot give you any better reason to buy this.

ARRAY(0xbc37cf6c)

Jesus Christ Superstar
Jesus Christ Superstar by Various (Orig London Cast Reco (Audio CD - 1996)