5.0 out of 5 stars What is Christmas without Bing?, April 30 2004
Candace Scott (Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Bing was an eclectic singer who dabbled extensively in many genres of music: Hawaiian, Irish, cowboy songs and of course, Christmas music, which is showcased here. This is an excellent introduction for those who don't have other Crosby CD's in your collection or who want to hear his "holiday" side. It contains his standard hits which have been recycled time and again on other anthologies. Most Bing-ologists will have all these songs in their collection, some of them many times over. But if you are new to Crosby, this is an acceptable choice and I guarantee that you will become hooked on Bing's magnificent voice. It's quite weak on his earlier work and it does contain some curious omissions, but then again, Bing didn't sing Christmas music much until the early 1940's. Yet there are some stellar songs included as well, like one of personal favorites, "I'll Be Home For Christmas," One of his greatest recordings.
For the novice Crosby-Christmas fan, this set is perfect for several reasons: not only does it give you a fine overview of Bing's career, the sound quality is exceptional. The packaging of the set is excellent and it even includes some nicely written liner notes with a synopsis of Bing's Christmas songs and musical style, as well as an explanation of his tremendous musical impact upon the 20th century.
Other reviewers have complained about the sound quality on this set. I am puzzled at this criticism. I have most of these songs on casette, vinyl and some even on their original 78 and 45 issues. The sound quality here is quite acceptable and good on most tracks. This set will give you many hours of enjoyable listening and help you branch off into other Crosby CD's which includes his lesser-known vocals. Hopefully this collection will convince you that Bing's vocal mastery was unparalled. Then you can sample his earlier, jazz-influenced work during his Columbia years in the early 30's and branch off into his 20's work with the Rhythm Boys. But for the beginning Crosby listener, this is as good a choice as any. I highly recommend this set. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Christmas with Bing., March 1 2014
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I have this on an lp(33 1/3 , turntable ,the works) . I figured it was time to have in on cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories., Jan. 16 2014
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I remember hearing this album around Christmas time when I was a child. It carries with it great memories. I was really happy to be able to get it on CD. We almost wore it out at Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time favorite, Jan. 11 2014
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
What can I say? That this is my "staple" Holiday CD? The quintessence of the 1950s in terms of Christmas music? Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars What can I say, it's Bing, Jan. 6 2013
Earmotion - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
What can I say, its White Christmas by Bing Crosby. Everybody knows some of it and some people know all of it. The sound quality of some of the tracks keeps this from getting a five star rating. Some of the later tracks sound quite good though. Bings voice rings through nicely on many of them. Lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars I <3 Bing!, Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Who could ever go wrong purchasing one of Bing's Christmas cds? Love it all and had it playing so much this season. Wish there were more artists around like this now. HIGHLY recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Special Christmas CD, Feb. 8 2009
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
No one can sing Christmas carols like Bing can! Maybe it's because I grew up listening to albums by him and other great singers of the time. It could be nostalgia that makes us love listening to this album. The "White Christmas" and so forth. Whatever it is, I recommend it highly. Not a bad song on the whole CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars It isn't Christmas without Bing, Feb. 5 2009
Merry Christmas
Bing Crosby was the king of Christmas and his songs aren't only beautiful, but fun and warm and hold a lot of memories for me. His film White Christmas is one of my favorites and his album Merry Christmas is the best music for the holidays.. My parents had this album in vinyl and when I moved out I needed the CD. If you want warm fuzzies over the holidays get this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Wonderful Christmas Album!, Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
I absolutely love listening to Christmas music and I like Bing Crosby and when I listened to someone's Bing Crosby Christmas album which was a 33' vinyl recored I liked it so much I decided I wanted to go and buy it for my collection of Christmas music so I went out and found the CD version of this delightful Christmas album and I love it, all the songs are wonderful but my personal favorites are White Christmas, Christmas in Killarney, and Mele Kalikimaka, I have loved that song ever since hearing it for the first time in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation starring Chevy Chase. I very greatly recommend this Christmas CD, it very much belongs in a Christmas music collection along with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Andy Williams, etc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bingle Bells, Dec 16 2003
Johnny Heering "trivia buff" (Bethel, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This is a retitled version of Bing Crosby's classic album "Merry Christmas". The songs are in a different order than on the original release, for some reason. But whatever order the songs are in, they are all classics. It doesn't get much better around Christmas time than hearing Der Bingle sing "Silent Night", "Adeste Fideles" and "White Christmas". The CD also includes three duets with the legendary Andrews Sisters, and one duet with the forgotten Carole Richards. One thing I have to question is the inclusion of "Faith of Our Fathers". It's a good song, but it's not a Christmas song. Regardless of that, I highly recommend this CD.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas by Bing Crosby (Audio CD - 2008)