5.0 out of 5 stars WOW., June 28 2000
Jeffrey Anbinder "Beeeej" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Syms 8/9 (Audio CD)
I've known Schubert's "Unfinished" Symphony since I was a little kid, and it's always been one of my favorite classical works. But until I bought this disc, I never really *experienced* it.

Karajan's interpretation is very different from most of the others in that it's much, *much* slower. Maintaining the enormous energy level required for this symphony over a significantly *longer* period of time by playing it slowly - and startlingly evenly - is an amazing feat, and Karajan's ability to draw this performance out of these musicians demonstrates his genius.

Okay, Karajan was an anti-semite, and I don't relish giving money to his estate (or heirs, or whatever). But my experiences listening to this recording have been visceral, primal, and purely powerful. That's an awful lot to say for a piece of music.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice clean interpretation, July 30 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Syms 8/9 (Audio CD)
Karajan's this CD is one of the best interpretation of schubert's unfinished. It has depth and serenity of this symphony. His no.9 changed my view. I never like 'The great' But now I understand what Schubert intended. Especially trio part of third movement is so beautiful that I almost cried. You will never regret buying this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars HvK All the way!, July 28 2001
This review is from: Syms 8/9 (Audio CD)
These are tough, unsentimental readings of these symphonies. Unsentimental, yes...but not without feeling! Indeed, without the schmaltz, von Karajan brings out the sincere pathos of the music.

Syms 8/9
Syms 8/9 by Franz Peter Schubert (Audio CD - 2000)