5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could sing like Al Green
Published on March 21 2004 by K. Oda

3.0 out of 5 stars let's say ok
sound,not very good at all,thought it was digitally remastered on LET'S STAY TOGETHER TINA TURNER makes him sound---ugh ... so much for AL!
Published on Aug. 3 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could sing like Al Green, March 21 2004
K. Oda "tkoart" (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If I could sing like one person in the world, I would choose Al Green. There are other singers with wider ranges and bigger voices, but no one could express human emotions as simply and directly as Green. The timbre of his voice is sexy without being syrupy, and his phrasing is soulful without melodrama. His singing makes you want to sing along, even as you realize you have no chance to keep up with him.
In addition to a great voice, Green has a great ear for songs with crossover appeal. He combined the funky edge of the Stax Volt sound with a smooth crooning vocal texture. My favorite all time Al Green song is "Here I Am," on which he uses an extended bridge to show off his effortless transitions between tenor and falsetto modes. But every song on this CD makes you want to tap your toes or snuggle up with your honey, or both at the same time.
Green switched from secular r&b to religious music later in his career. This CD includes his biggest hits from his secular period. If you had to pick just one Al Green album to own, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is where it's at...., Nov. 8 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
There has been no other male vocalist quite like Al Green. No doubt has all R&B bedroom balladeers of today like Keith Sweat, Joe, and Avant taken a page from his book. Al Green revolutionized soul music with his smokey croon. The 70's was a great period for music, but Al Green was the one singer that is most special to me. I didn't grow up in the 70's but I definately know about it now and I'm so glad I took a look at all the greatness.
I got a lot of favorites. The first Al Green song I experieced was "Let's Stay Together". Big trumpets, big voice, big sound. An absolute classic. The simple yet sophisicated "L-O-V-E (Love)" is another one of my favorites. I know every word now. And "I'm Still In Love With You" is gorgeous. I can't say what my favorite track is because I really do love them all.
This album is a MUST. HAVE. Without a doubt. I don't care what type of music you are into most, but there is always a special occasion where a little Al Green can go a long way...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Collection, Aug. 8 2002
thestaxman (Jackson, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The sublimely unique and timeless productions of Willie Mitchell at Hi Records, all with marvelous musicianship, and one amazing voice made Al Green demand the title of The Last Great Soul Singer. A greatest hits collection is meant to be just that. Not overkill, but more of an introductory album to turn people on, so they in turn, dive into the vaults to get all they can. In that sense, this is the best greatest hits package I have ever seen. There's only one disappointing omission in "Take Me To the River". The marvelous musicianship comes courtesy of the unequaled Memphis Horns of Stax Records (Otis Redding, Sam & Dave) fame. The Hi rhythm section consisted of three brothers, Charles Hodges on organ, Leroy Hodges on bass, and Mabon "Teenie" Hodges on guitar. And these gentlemen play like brothers. The telepathic interplay between these wonderful "studio rats" is rivaled only by cross town session legends, the mighty Stax house band, Booker T. & the MGs. The secret ingredient of these soul masterpieces may be in fact, Booker T. & the MGs' drummer, Al Jackson, Jr., whose infectious grooves are utterly contagious. Nowhere does this masterful combination gel better than on "Love and Happiness", co-written by Green and guitarist, Teenie Hodges. All four musicians are so perfect, yet so soulful, the horn arrangements are spectacular, and let's not forget, the last great soul singer. There are also bonus tracks, including "Belle", an admittingly touching and inspiring song, where Green's conscience wavers between a woman, "Belle", and God. One can't help but draw the metaphors in the song to Green soon after going from "Here I am, baby" to "Here I am, Lord." This is a must have collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stil In Love With Al Green, Sho Nuff!, Dec 3 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this album simply because it makes me happy. The music is great and it inspires great memories within me. We danced to this album on Holidays. I love Al Green's passion, and mood making. His voice is so awesome. This is truly wonderful ear and soul candy. It's hard to find a good love song now that doesn't break out into a rap song, so I tend to stay with the older soul and R&B music.
One really can't listen to any of the songs and not feel moved in some way. My favorite song on this collection is 'Tired of Being Alone'. It is a good example of his voice, and the range. Other awesome songs are "Love and Happiness", "Here I am", and the wonderful love ballad "Let's Get Married". There are so many other songs on here though that showcase his talent all the more. Describing each song would have me here until the next millennium!
Whether he is pelting out a gospel tune or a soul one, it's a hit with me. His voice is like no other and it's pure joy, pain, and laughter all bunched into one. If it's good you feel it. And you will feel it.
One song I strongly suggest checking out that isn't on this album is :
For The Good Times (commonly referred to as 'Lay your head on my pillow' ) - More Greatest Hits Album
Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Al Green is timeless and wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and perfect - gets better every listen, April 21 2001
John M. Thompson (Albuquerque, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Why is Al Green so much better than so many recording artists who think that they have soul?
Al doesn't sound forced or unnatural, and rarely shows you the full range of expression of which he is capable. The biggest hit that he ever had, "Let's Stay Together," begins with Al and the background vocalists whispering, and thereafter he does not raise his voice much from that. All the parts are very subtle, with each instrument seemingly arranged to disturb the whole the least. It's simple, danceable, and has real dynamics, even when the songs are generally quiet.
While I appreciate R+B made in the last twenty years, I don't like the group of mainly female vocalists who think that soul is shrieking your way up and down a given scale. Saying more with less notes is the heart of soul, and it makes for a consistently enjoyable listening experience.
Buy this. It's tremendously... for the value, and if you like soul, it will be one of the few CD's in your collection to which you can listen without skipping. In fact, it might even irritate you that fifteen songs is all that's here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy THIS Disc!!!!, Sept. 21 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Al Green has one of the most soulful voices of all time and his talent for interpreting other artist's songs and making them his own is simply stunning. Ok, so why am I telling you NOT to buy this disc after giving it 5 stars? Hear me out. If you're an Al Green fan, then you already own most, if not all, of these songs. If you're new to Green's work, (maybe you saw him on "Alley McBeal") you're most likely looking for a good sampling of his stuff. Problem is, this stuff is TOO good! After falling in love with these timeless performances, you're going to want to get more Al Green. (Trust me, you will.) So save yourself some time and money and start with the albums "Let's Stay Together" and "Still In Love With You" - every track on these disc are every bit as good as any track on his greatest hits. After that, go on to "Call Me" or "Explores Your Mind". Eventually you will have all the tracks on "Greatest Hit's" and many more amazing songs to go with them.
Greatest hit's albums are great when you want to avoid the dud's and "filler" that you find on some artist discs, but the work Green did in the 70's has NO dud's or filler. It was a run of amazing artistic accomplishment that has not been seen in R & B since. You own it to yourself to check out the whole picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...but, don'cha know ya missing out on a treat...?, May 24 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
...I've had this for many years and in many incarnations, distributed by different labels and I've gotta tellya. First, any Al Green CD/vinyl/tape is gonna have fabuloso music on it. Second, sometimes in trying to get a 'popular' sequencing of tunes, record companies make a faux pas...the faux pas here was in removing Al's version of the Bee Gee's "How Do You Mend A Broken Heart" from the original sequencing. And for those recent Al Green converts that is truly a disservice. You just have to find it on another Al Green CD; to me, it's inclusion on the original packaging made a primo product that much more superb... Plus, one of my earlier CDs of this has the extended "Let's Stay Together" which to me allows the listener to get 'caught up' in the music like Al evidently was during the recording. My last two cents: The most underrated cut on this CD has gotta be the Whitfield/Strong song "I Can't Get Next to You", which gets a bumpin' gospel blues turnout/makeover with assistance from those great Memphis/Nashville sessionmen. It's so nice that I keep track 8 in replay mode til I fill my jones...

5.0 out of 5 stars Al Green is love and happiness., July 5 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Thank GOD Al Green didn't find the aforementioned sooner, otherwise it may have been gospel that Green was remembered for as opposed to these seventies soul gems. Few soul artists come correct like this anymore - oozing with sensuality, tenderness, passion and armed with a string of majestic hits. Far from definitive, this is still a brilliant compilation in which every song carries a hook or melody so naggingly good that you wonder how it's legal. Notice how people react when you play a song as heavenly as 'You Ought To Be With Me', 'Call Me' or'Livin For You' - they start to wonder where AL Green has been all their lives, that is the seductive charm of this record. Unfortunately 'Greatest Hits' doesn't include some of his more subtle, affecting work like 'How Can You Mend A Broken Heart' or 'I Didn't Know', but the Rev. Al Green can still send a rapturous chill up your spine and make your world that much more joyful by owning this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gorgeous Album, Feb. 4 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Al Green was probably the greatest exponent of arguably the greatest American music ever produced: soul. And this CD has that in droves. Listen to the acknowledged classics "Let's Stay Together", "Tired of Being Alone" and "I'm Still in Love With You" and you'll hear perhaps the finest non-classical tenor singing with all his heart, emotion and life experience. When Al croons "Belle... The Lord and I have been friends for a mighty long time", one is that much more open to his spiritual message because it is conveyed in such a beautiful manner. How could what Al's saying possibly be wrong? This is the first Al Green CD I acquired way back when I was building my soul music collection. For the beginner that I was, it made me so much more receptive to and appreciative of this wonderful music. This, in short, is ground zero for soul. Start here, and afterwards get your Wilson Picketts and Otis Reddings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Singer Ever?, June 21 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This album has found it's way into my regular rotation despite the fact that I'm not a particularly big fan of Soul or R&B. The music on this album is universal - and it's appeal is undeniable no matter what your musical preference may be.
Green is the best singer I've ever heard, and I don't mean he has the best voice - he doesn't. Green's appeal relies in his feel for the music and his subtlety. He rarely screams or bellows - so when he does you know it must be important. Rather than singing loudly or busily, Green's pleasantly wavering voice employs a series of quiet falsetto whispers and guttural moans and groans to convey the meanings of the songs.
My personal favorite, other than the obviously wonderful "Let's Stay Together" is his cover of "I Can't Get Next to You", complete with an acid-rock guitar solo.
If you don't own this, you're missing something big.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Al Green (Audio CD - 1995)