5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper!
This is the second album that I've purchased from the remastered 180g vinyl LP Beatles' discography, after having been thoroughly satisfied with the Abbey Road album in that series. I was once again bracing for the worst, based on some of the previous reviews of Sergeant Pepper's here.

This vinyl LP will be played back on a Linn Axis Turntable fitted with a...
Published on Jan. 8 2013 by Mark JP

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit overrated...
Afmitedly, though I am a huge Beatles fan, this CD isn't my favorite. In fact, I think it's really overrated (*Brooke ducks to avoid the tomatoes being pelted at her face*). I think it must have been a blast to make, and I'm sure I would love it if I were one of the Beatles (and I'm obviously not). I just think that the CD isn't as great as it's hyped up to be...
Published on Feb. 11 2002 by Brooke Dolara

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper!, Jan. 8 2013

This vinyl LP will be played back on a Linn Axis Turntable fitted with a Linn Ittok LV-II tone arm, a Shure V15 V-MR cartridge and a JICO Super Analogue Stylus (SAS).

There was no damage to the outer album cover or any bent edges. I carefully inspected the actual LP for any obvious signs of damage such as scuffs, gouges or warps, as well as for the much talked about "non-fill" defect - which can appear as a "string of pearls". I could find no visual evidence of any such damage. There is only a slight unevenness that can be observed when the LP is in rotation on the turntable platter, but it is not warped. The LP is also properly centered, as the tone arm does not sway from side to side during playback. When held up to a light, the LP shines nicely. There was a "shushing" sound on the lead-in track on Side 1 just before the title track, but it only lasted for a little more than a second - then it disappeared completely. There were also various points when a slight crackling could be heard during playback and it was somewhat more noticeable during "When I'm Sixty-four". At no time, however, was any of this annoying or did it detract from the overall sound quality. Despite some of these artifacts, I feel that this is a good pressing. It is not, however, as quiet as the Abbey Road LP I had purchased earlier. I do wish to emphasize, however, that the overall sound quality that I have heard from my copy of Sergeant Pepper's differs significantly from that described by some of the previous reviewers here.

As in my previous review of Abbey Road, I feel that the remastered Sergeant Pepper's LP has a very natural analogue sound despite the fact it was cut from a 24-bit, 44.1 kHz digital master tape. There are some tracks that sound as though they have excessive treble (especially "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Lucy"), but that was precisely the artistic approach taken and the sound that the Beatles, producer George Martin and engineer Geoff Emerick had intended back in 1967. I feel that the detail, depth, soundstage and placement of vocals and instruments throughout the album is quite impressive. In this regard, the string arrangements on "She's Leaving Home" and the hand percussion on "Within You Without You" were delightful. In fact, the latter track's combination of George Harrison's sitar and other traditional Indian instruments created a profound sense of musical depth. Of course, "A Day In The Life" - my favorite all-time Beatles single - with John Lennon's haunting vocals is sublime.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this LP and can confidently call it a keeper. I do not at all feel that it is a bad pressing, sounds like sand paper, etc. In fact, I am becoming rather puzzled by the many complaints that I keep reading about this Beatles remastered 180g vinyl LP series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless recording, Aug. 9 2003
David N. Streeter (Bath, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
Sgt. Pepper is great album, and has a unique place in 20th century popular music. Enjoy it. Unfortunately, the significance of this recording has been exaggerated by enthusiastic fans, so to appreciate its true stature I'll say the following:
First, Sgt. Pepper is and was not a 'concept album'. Unless the concept was maximized diversity, which was earlier attempted in the album "Revolver'. If anything, Sgt. Pepper was an anti-concept album, covering as many different styles and themes as possible.
Second, Sgt. Pepper was not the greatest pop album of the last century. Like other Beatles albums, it had some great songs (Day in the Life, With a Little Help from My Friends, She's Leaving Home), some good songs (When I'm Sixty Four, Sgt. Pepper, Within You Without You) and some mediocre songs (Good Morning Good Morning, Lovely Rita, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds). John Lennon thought that the White Album was better, McCartney thinks that Pet Sounds (a real concept album) was better. So take it from John and Paul, this was not the best thing ever.
Thirdly, Sgt. Pepper marks the end of an era, in that it was the last project for which the Beatles really functioned as a group, and Lennon and McCartney really wrote songs, and sang them, together. Although they did sing together in 'Let it Be', that was mostly to create the false impression that they were still functioning as a collaborative group.
It's an outstanding album. It will be popular as long as people listen to recorded music. Enjoy it, don't dissect it or worship it.

5.0 out of 5 stars George Harrison was Right, Oct. 15 2014
It is wonderful to own these on vinyl again. And in original mono to boot. What a treat. The full-size jacket that records give you is so much more enjoyable that little CD jackets. The sound quality of these records is breathtaking. When I hear the full, rich sound I can't help think of George Harrison who thought stereo was a mistake because it thinned out the sound. Highly, highly recommended. In fact, I don't see how a Beatles fan could pass these up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album (NOT the best ever), Dec 9 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
I suppose Rolling Stone can't admit that Sgt. Pepper is less than stellar some 35 years after its debut (after all, the magazine is as old as the album), but when I saw it listed as the BEST album of all time, I couldn't take it anymore. Truth be told, I wonder who in the hell keeps perpetuating this myth that Sgt. Pepper is the Beatles' best. I could easily think of albums much better, either by the Beatles themselves (Revolver, Abbey Road, and the White Album, in that order) or others (Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, "The Velvet Underground and Nico", Joy Division's "Closer", etc). Face the facts, folks: Sgt. Pepper is a product of its time, and one that hasn't hold out well. Granted, there are psychedelic relics that hold up less well than Pepper, but none of them have ever been mistaken for "the BEST album ever". I have each of the Beatles' albums, I am not one of these "Beatles #1" fans (owning only a copy of the "best of" that came out a few years ago, to line Messers. McCartney and Jackson's pockets), I know what I'm talking about when I say that (while this is a good album in its own right) it's not the BEST album ever.
I must confess, I got this album free on CD after having it on tape for years beforehand, so I can't complain about "wasting my money" even if I hated it (see my "Let it Be...Naked" review). But as good as this album is (and I can't stress this enough) it is not the BEST album ever...that honor belongs to Revolver. Rolling Stone needs to pull their heads out of their collective asses and admit as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT Their Greatest Album from the Greatest Band, Dec 3 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
Loved the Beatles all my life (and I'm 50), but it's long overdue to put "Sgt. Pepper" into perspective. No question that when it was released in '67, there was nothing else like it from any popular artist around (meaning the 13th Floor Elevators who maybe 13 people heard of don't count.) Since getting high (weed and acid) was just becoming popular with college kids and even down into high school, it was the first POPULAR music that sounded even better when high. Listening to music with headphones was also just starting to catch on, and because this was the first POPULAR record that had such unique production (such as the farm animal sounds following "Good Morning Good Morning") it sounded even greater on headphones. I know, old hat now, but again the first popular headphone album. What about the production from today's perspective? Bob Dylan says that he didn't like Sgt. Pepper when it first came out, because even though "it had some good songs, the overproduction ruined it." Didn't agree back then, today I do. They talk of "Let it Be Naked" as stripped down, I wouldn't mind hearing some of these tracks on Pepper stripped down. Not all these songs hold up 35+ years later. The best, of course, is "A Day in the Life" which is still maybe one of the top 3 Lennon-McCartney collaborations ever. And listening to "Good Morning" on the Anthology CD without the backing vocals and everything sounds much better as a song than the Pepper version. "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "I Am the Walrus" should have both been included here to have made it a stronger album, while "Benefit of Mr. Kite," and sorry George "Within You Without You" could have been scrapped. (Always thought that "All Too Much", "The Inner Light" and "Old Brown Shoe" were better George Harrison tracks that were never included on major Beatle releases.) I guess the psychedelic feel dates the album today (Dylan never put out a psychedelic album) to the same extent as "Satanic Majesties Request" sounds dated today. And it's too bad because there are some great songs here, which may have been better recorded by the Beatles in 1969 instead of 1967. I guess I just feel that the White Album and Rubber Soul are the two best albums that hold up today, and Sgt. Pepper (while revolutionary at the time) doesn't quite cut it today.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Album, Oct. 31 2003
Susan Nardelli (hopewell jct, new york United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
This album always has and always will be overrated. People over analyze the beatles. There are some classic compositions in the form of Lucy In The Sky Of Diamonds, A Day In The Life, She's Leaving Home, and Fixing A Whole. The rest of the album is rather lightweight and comparatively weak (I think most of it is frankly, garbage!). There are to many gimicks and unsuccessful recording experiments being used here. Beatle fans can be very overbaring and quite annoying, feeling that anything the Beatles did is a holy grail of sorts, NONSENSE! Revolver and Rubber Soul are much stronger, and while the White Album could have been stripped down to 18-20 tracks, it is mostly excellent. Abbey Road is overrated as well, lot of garbage on that album, including the terrible Maxwell's Hammer and Octopus' Garden. I recommend Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Tangerine Dream by Kaleidoscope, The Who Sell Out, and S.F. Sorrow as better albums. Also, on the cover, the beatles look like a group of psychedelic chinamen. HA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, even if it is very very overrated, Sept. 26 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
I bought this after I had Beatles One for a couple of years. It was also the first album from the '60s i bought.
First of all, the sound quality is awful! EMI did a slipshod job reproducing this album for CD. Makes it pretty bad to listen to on headphones. Whats sadder is that it detracts slightly from the songs. Makes it pretty bad to listen to on headphones. I still don't know how the songs sounded on original vinyl release. I wasn't around for the original release as I wasn't born yet. What got me even more upset is that they changed the song order, as stated in the liner notes. Why? Who knows? But when I buy a cd I want to hear it as it was intended to be heard. Especially if its a concept album of sorts. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.
Okay now on to the actual album. I think the album is good, a bit uneven.
The songs are good. Not great, but good (with the exception of the masterpiece A Day In The Life). She's Leaving Home is the one of the only low points. It becomes skipible after a couple of listens. I think this version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is one of the tracks that the EMI's new slipshod production has actually hurt. Along many of the other tracks. Which is a major shame because it sounds like it could be such a pretty song.
The way I see this album is that its the first album to have all this innovated studio wizardry (on original release; as I mentioned, the EMI production has hurt it considerably). It's probably not the beatles best (i'm not sure. I only have this and One), but it's one of their most ambitious and one of the most ambitious record of it's time.
I suggest to a person just starting to discover the beatles (as i am still), go for the compilation One (even though the production isn't better).

4.0 out of 5 stars End result not quite as good as the idea, May 4 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
An interesting experiement that shows the Beatles at their most non-rockish (I consider them a pop band with a rock sensibility).
However, I don't think they really went as far as they thought they would, as this whole album just sounds... unfinished. I also found my attention wandering during "Within You Without You" and "When I'm 64", which are both a little boring to me.
Ringo sings "With a Little Help" in his best melancholy voice. John can sing like he's sneering at you, George can get preachy, and Paul can sound a little self-important, but Ringo always sings with warmth in his voice. He really shines on this one.
Lennon adds some great lyrical touches to "She's Leaving Home" which shows the parents perspective, and keeps the song from being too melodramatic.
"Lovely Rita Meter Maid" is a great little song, with an excellent intro and inventive melody. The horns make "Good Morning Good Morning" startling, and George adds some life to this album with his searing guitar solo.
"A Day in the Life" is brilliant, and the reason why I'm giving this album four stars instead of three. George sets the mood with a pensive and contemplative guitar intro, and Ringo adds some descriptive drum flourishes. John and Paul play off of each other's strengths to present a song containing two contrasting viewpoints of life: the man who sees something is wrong and wants to "turn you on", and the man who just wants to get to work and get through the day. George Martin underlines all of this with his excellent orchestral score. This song is the ultimate example of all of the Beatles (Beatle #5 included) pooling their strenghts to produce a brilliant piece of work.
The rest of the album, though, doesn't quite live up to that level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album - deperately in need of modern remastering, April 1 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
This is not my favorite Beatles album, nor is it my least favorite, but it is undeniably a pivotal moment in popular music history.
Unfortunately, this classic sounds rather muted and muddy when compared to more recently remastered efforts from contemperary artists. This is true of all of the Beatles albums save the "1" collection. While in the Beatles' case, their mid-eighties remastering job is not as aggregiously bad as was the original Rolling Stones Abco job (recently rectified), it is still very poor relative to what can be obtained with more modern methods.
Recent remastering on Cream, Blind Faith, The Allman Bros., Clapton, Hendrix, Jethro Tull and other contemporary artists' work show this quite conclusively, and I rather doubt that the original Beatles masters will be as difficult to find as other groups...
If I were in the market for this album right now, I would not purchase it, as the sond quality is too mediocre, and the recent "1" mastering hints that this may be soon fixed.

4.0 out of 5 stars True Classic, March 27 2003
Levi Stofer (Lawrenceville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
Sergeant Pepper is one of those albums where even if the songs weren't very good, it wouldn't matter. First and foremost, this album is a work of art that changed rock history. Pepper was essentially the first concept album.
It isn't exactly the best concept album, being that the subject material is all over the place, but it still works because the concept itself is pretty vague. Simply the Beatles posing as Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
That new identity gave the fab four a new freedom to explore many new territories in sound and style that perhaps they wouldn't have done if they were 'The Beatles'. I think this also made it easier on some of their fans who didn't want them to change. "Oh, their just pretending to be weird. I get it. We'll have 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' back by the next album."
Wrong. This was the beginning of better things. The Beatles were not content with playing the same old pop songs. They wanted to grow as musicians and this album was the lads diving head first into that growth.
Wild orchestra arrangements, odd time signatures, distorted guitars, eastern influences, strange drug-influenced lyrics....
The music world would never be the same.
So, is this ground-breaking album worth having? Yes! If not just for the history behind it, "A Day In the Life" is one of the best Beatles songs ever recorded. A true classic.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band by Beatles (Audio CD - 1990)