5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless recording
Sgt. Pepper is great album, and has a unique place in 20th century popular music. Enjoy it. Unfortunately, the significance of this recording has been exaggerated by enthusiastic fans, so to appreciate its true stature I'll say the following:
Published on Aug. 9 2003 by David N. Streeter

3.0 out of 5 stars Least Fave Beatles Album, love the band
Published on Aug. 6 1999 by redvwbus@aol.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Least Fave Beatles Album, love the band, Aug. 6 1999
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
A Day in the Life is good, some other songs are, too, but I think Rubber Soul or Magical Mystery Tour should have been the Beatles 'Album of the Year' award winner. (R.S. in `65 and MMT in `67). I know that this was the most original concept but I don't see where it won album of the year. I love the Beatles, so it's not a crime for me to say this. But other Beatles albums should have won the '..of the Year' award.

3.0 out of 5 stars Revolver & Rubber Soul both much better than Sgt. Pickle, April 27 1999
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
Don't believe the hype about this Beatle collection ... yes, it has amazing peaks at its beginning and ending, but it also has incredibly-low valleys in-between. John Lennon himself never thought much of this album, or how it became to be known as a "concept" album--The Wall by Pink Floyd is a concept album, not this. What bogs Sgt. Pepper down are the middle cuts (I was about to talk about album sides) "Fixing A Hole," "She's Leaving Home," "Mr. Kite," "Within/Without You" "Good Morning" these ALL sound so uninspired and subpar especially for a group as talented as the Beatles--maybe too much of the lysergic, eh lads? ... Get "Revolver"--a TRUE Beatle classic, then check out the almost-just-as-magnificent "Rubber Soul."

3.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, March 23 1999
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
Sorry folks, but this album just doesn't age well. Rubber Soul is much better, as is the White Album. By working so hard to be the hippest thing on the planet in 1967, the Beatles produced an album that defines its own moment but now stands as an anachronism. I'd rate this one right up there with the Moody Blues' Days of Future Past. The self-conscious "artistry" of each of these recordings dates them horribly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make a BETTER Sgt Pepper, Dec 22 2003
jj bruno "jbrunodog" (morris, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
First, the concept of albums will soon become obsolete, what with MP-3 and CD burning. The original vinyl SGT PEPPER released in June '67 coincided with stereo releases and headphones replacing mono and transistors for the younger set. And George Martin's production (Bob Dylan always said it was over-production) brought forth sounds that popular music hadn't experienced before. But if today's CD buyer were to analyze this album by the songs, he might think about half are good or even great, and half aren't, so why all the fuss? Frankly, I always felt that the Beatles should have combined SGT PEPPER with MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (released only 6 months later), because SGT PEPPER was overrated and MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR was underrated. The best tracks on PEPPER are "Day in the Life" (still a classic Lennon-McCartney song), "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "Good Morning Good Morning," "Fixing a Hole" and "With a Little Help from My Friends." But they should have left in the dust bin "She's Leaving Home," "When I'm 64", "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," and replaced them with the stronger 1967 tracks of "I Am The Walrus," "Strawberry Fields Forever," and "Fool on the Hill" from MYSTERY TOUR. In fact, this is how I would have made their 1967 release of SGT PEPPER'S MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR: Side A -- Getting Better, With a Little Help from my Friends, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Fixing a Hole, Hello Goodbye, Flying, I Am the Walrus....... Side B -- Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Within You Without You, All You Need is Love, Good Morning Good Morning, Fool on the Hill, A Day in the Life........ Now tell me Beatle fans, is that one STRONG 5 STAR album or what ? They could have released their throwaway tracks of "She's Leaving Home," "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," "Sgt. Pepper," "When I'm 64," "Lovely Rita," "Magical Myster Tour," "Blue Jay Way," "Your Mother Should Know," and "Baby You're a Rich Man," on some ANTHOLOGY UNRELEASED TRACKS OF '67 CD thirty years later. As for me, I listen to SGT PEPPER'S MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR in my car all the time, and I don't skip any tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album (NOT the best ever), Dec 9 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
I suppose Rolling Stone can't admit that Sgt. Pepper is less than stellar some 35 years after its debut (after all, the magazine is as old as the album), but when I saw it listed as the BEST album of all time, I couldn't take it anymore. Truth be told, I wonder who in the hell keeps perpetuating this myth that Sgt. Pepper is the Beatles' best. I could easily think of albums much better, either by the Beatles themselves (Revolver, Abbey Road, and the White Album, in that order) or others (Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, "The Velvet Underground and Nico", Joy Division's "Closer", etc). Face the facts, folks: Sgt. Pepper is a product of its time, and one that hasn't hold out well. Granted, there are psychedelic relics that hold up less well than Pepper, but none of them have ever been mistaken for "the BEST album ever". I have each of the Beatles' albums, I am not one of these "Beatles #1" fans (owning only a copy of the "best of" that came out a few years ago, to line Messers. McCartney and Jackson's pockets), I know what I'm talking about when I say that (while this is a good album in its own right) it's not the BEST album ever.
I must confess, I got this album free on CD after having it on tape for years beforehand, so I can't complain about "wasting my money" even if I hated it (see my "Let it Be...Naked" review). But as good as this album is (and I can't stress this enough) it is not the BEST album ever...that honor belongs to Revolver. Rolling Stone needs to pull their heads out of their collective asses and admit as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT Their Greatest Album from the Greatest Band, Dec 3 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
Loved the Beatles all my life (and I'm 50), but it's long overdue to put "Sgt. Pepper" into perspective. No question that when it was released in '67, there was nothing else like it from any popular artist around (meaning the 13th Floor Elevators who maybe 13 people heard of don't count.) Since getting high (weed and acid) was just becoming popular with college kids and even down into high school, it was the first POPULAR music that sounded even better when high. Listening to music with headphones was also just starting to catch on, and because this was the first POPULAR record that had such unique production (such as the farm animal sounds following "Good Morning Good Morning") it sounded even greater on headphones. I know, old hat now, but again the first popular headphone album. What about the production from today's perspective? Bob Dylan says that he didn't like Sgt. Pepper when it first came out, because even though "it had some good songs, the overproduction ruined it." Didn't agree back then, today I do. They talk of "Let it Be Naked" as stripped down, I wouldn't mind hearing some of these tracks on Pepper stripped down. Not all these songs hold up 35+ years later. The best, of course, is "A Day in the Life" which is still maybe one of the top 3 Lennon-McCartney collaborations ever. And listening to "Good Morning" on the Anthology CD without the backing vocals and everything sounds much better as a song than the Pepper version. "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "I Am the Walrus" should have both been included here to have made it a stronger album, while "Benefit of Mr. Kite," and sorry George "Within You Without You" could have been scrapped. (Always thought that "All Too Much", "The Inner Light" and "Old Brown Shoe" were better George Harrison tracks that were never included on major Beatle releases.) I guess the psychedelic feel dates the album today (Dylan never put out a psychedelic album) to the same extent as "Satanic Majesties Request" sounds dated today. And it's too bad because there are some great songs here, which may have been better recorded by the Beatles in 1969 instead of 1967. I guess I just feel that the White Album and Rubber Soul are the two best albums that hold up today, and Sgt. Pepper (while revolutionary at the time) doesn't quite cut it today.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Album, Oct. 31 2003
Susan Nardelli (hopewell jct, new york United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
This album always has and always will be overrated. People over analyze the beatles. There are some classic compositions in the form of Lucy In The Sky Of Diamonds, A Day In The Life, She's Leaving Home, and Fixing A Whole. The rest of the album is rather lightweight and comparatively weak (I think most of it is frankly, garbage!). There are to many gimicks and unsuccessful recording experiments being used here. Beatle fans can be very overbaring and quite annoying, feeling that anything the Beatles did is a holy grail of sorts, NONSENSE! Revolver and Rubber Soul are much stronger, and while the White Album could have been stripped down to 18-20 tracks, it is mostly excellent. Abbey Road is overrated as well, lot of garbage on that album, including the terrible Maxwell's Hammer and Octopus' Garden. I recommend Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Tangerine Dream by Kaleidoscope, The Who Sell Out, and S.F. Sorrow as better albums. Also, on the cover, the beatles look like a group of psychedelic chinamen. HA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, even if it is very very overrated, Sept. 26 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
I bought this after I had Beatles One for a couple of years. It was also the first album from the '60s i bought.
First of all, the sound quality is awful! EMI did a slipshod job reproducing this album for CD. Makes it pretty bad to listen to on headphones. Whats sadder is that it detracts slightly from the songs. Makes it pretty bad to listen to on headphones. I still don't know how the songs sounded on original vinyl release. I wasn't around for the original release as I wasn't born yet. What got me even more upset is that they changed the song order, as stated in the liner notes. Why? Who knows? But when I buy a cd I want to hear it as it was intended to be heard. Especially if its a concept album of sorts. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.
Okay now on to the actual album. I think the album is good, a bit uneven.
The songs are good. Not great, but good (with the exception of the masterpiece A Day In The Life). She's Leaving Home is the one of the only low points. It becomes skipible after a couple of listens. I think this version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is one of the tracks that the EMI's new slipshod production has actually hurt. Along many of the other tracks. Which is a major shame because it sounds like it could be such a pretty song.
The way I see this album is that its the first album to have all this innovated studio wizardry (on original release; as I mentioned, the EMI production has hurt it considerably). It's probably not the beatles best (i'm not sure. I only have this and One), but it's one of their most ambitious and one of the most ambitious record of it's time.
I suggest to a person just starting to discover the beatles (as i am still), go for the compilation One (even though the production isn't better).

2.0 out of 5 stars Even Avril writes more meaningful songs., Sept. 17 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
If this were their debut album, 'Beatlemania' never would have happened; the screams of young fans would have been replaced with yawns - which is the exact reaction this album receives from those of us who never bought the hype.
The ideas popularized by this album, and the Beatles in general, are still common today. Nobody disputes this. But, then, this is hardly a compliment. The "revolutionary" idea behind this album was to spend months and months touching-up mediocre songs with studio wizardry. This idea helps sell millions, and is thus important to Beatles fans who pay close attention to charts and sales-figures, and use them as an artistic yardstick. Couple this with a cutesy teen-friendly band image, tv appearances (*very* important) and completely harmless music comprised of brainless singalongs... and you have the Beatles formula, and the formula for most modern pop music. So, I guess it's true that pop music is the way it is today thanks to the beatles. It's also ironic that the old nostalgic folk who adore the Beatles can somehow absolutely hate their modern counterparts (such as the Spice Girls). Why the double standard? They made the same music afterall.

Few would disagree that this album is better remembered for its cover than for its songs. And, if possible, the cover has dated even worse than the music.
No one is impressed by this album anymore. It's a historical curiousity, nothing more.
If this album really was the greatest music of the century, then I would never listen to music ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless recording, Aug. 9 2003
David N. Streeter (Bath, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Audio CD)
First, Sgt. Pepper is and was not a 'concept album'. Unless the concept was maximized diversity, which was earlier attempted in the album "Revolver'. If anything, Sgt. Pepper was an anti-concept album, covering as many different styles and themes as possible.
Second, Sgt. Pepper was not the greatest pop album of the last century. Like other Beatles albums, it had some great songs (Day in the Life, With a Little Help from My Friends, She's Leaving Home), some good songs (When I'm Sixty Four, Sgt. Pepper, Within You Without You) and some mediocre songs (Good Morning Good Morning, Lovely Rita, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds). John Lennon thought that the White Album was better, McCartney thinks that Pet Sounds (a real concept album) was better. So take it from John and Paul, this was not the best thing ever.
Thirdly, Sgt. Pepper marks the end of an era, in that it was the last project for which the Beatles really functioned as a group, and Lennon and McCartney really wrote songs, and sang them, together. Although they did sing together in 'Let it Be', that was mostly to create the false impression that they were still functioning as a collaborative group.
It's an outstanding album. It will be popular as long as people listen to recorded music. Enjoy it, don't dissect it or worship it.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band by Beatles (Audio CD - 1990)