5.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting the worst, but...
Published 16 months ago by Mark J.P.

2.0 out of 5 stars Abbey Road LP
The album is good, but when I got it there was a skip in "Because" that I couldn't fix. Do yourself a favor and dig this up at a fleamarket, save yourself 10 bucks.
Published 21 months ago by Dave M

5.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting the worst, but..., Nov. 26 2012
Having read the many complaints about the most recent remastered Beatles 180g vinyl LP box set, I have decided to go the safer route of trying out the albums individually. At the attractive price of $16.44 on Amazon.ca, I have started with the album that appears to be generating the most controversy: Abbey Road. With all of the bitter and vitriolic complaints on Amazon.com and the rather hysterical postings on the Steve Hoffman forums that I've read so far, I was - quite frankly - expecting the worst.

The turntable used for the playback of this vinyl LP is the Linn Axis fitted with a Linn Ittok LV-II tone arm, Shure V15 V-MR cartridge and the JICO Super Analogue Stylus (SAS).

I carefully examined the album cover, sleeve and the LP itself. There was no damage to the cover whatsoever. To my surprise, the black inner record sleeve is of the type that has plastic protective lining on the inside similar to that used by A&M Records back in the day. Most other new vinyl LPs that I have purchased recently have come with a plain paper inner sleeve. I inspected the LP itself for any signs of damage - particularly the now infamous "non-fill" problem complained of on Amazon.com and the Hoffman forums. I could neither find the tell-tale "pearl necklace" markings nor any marks, scuffs or gouges on the LP of any kind. Placing the LP on the turntable platter and starting it, I looked at the disc from the side and observed that it is pretty much flat with only a very slight unevenness. Looking directly down at the turntable revealed that the LP was properly centered with no side-to-side swaying of the tone arm engaged. This LP appears to be in excellent condition visually. It shines and reflects nicely when held up to a light.

I played both sides of the LP from beginning to end. The surface noise on playback was quite normal for a brand-new vinyl LP and was in no way distracting or annoying - particularly on the lead-in and between tracks. There was slightly more noise on the lead-out, which is normal. There was none of the so-called "shusssshhhing" noise or distortion associated with "non-fill" damage caused by improper pressing at the plant. There were very few pops and tics and they were very faint. I must, therefore, regard the product that I received as a very good vinyl LP pressing. The space between tracks only revealed the faint and gentle "swoosh" sound of the grooves moving past the stylus.

As for the music itself, everyone knows that the Beatles' "Abbey Road" is one of the greatest albums in the history of popular music. The colossal hits from the album, including "Come Together", "Something", "Octopus's Garden" and "Here Comes The Sun" all sound great. The final "medley" of "Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight" and "The End" is also a treat - especially Ringo's drumming in "The End". I thoroughly enjoyed my first "listen-through" and found the playback warm and quite "analogue sounding", despite the fact that the record was cut from a 24-bit, 44.1 kHz digital master tape.

This vinyl LP was delivered to me in excellent, brand-new condition and displays none of the pressing issues or damage that so many other vinyl lovers are complaining about. It is a "keeper" and I fully expect to enjoy it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., May 24 2010
Kyle Rogers "TheAwesomeBomb" (Ottawa, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abbey Road (Audio CD)
I was looking over the negative reviews for this album, and the one titled "Falls Short" really just made me want to counter it. The reviewer said that pretty mich every song on the medley sounds unfinished. This person obviously only listened to them by themselves and didn't bother to listen to the album as a whole. What an idiot. This album is the second best Beatles album, so do not listen to any of the negative reviews, they are just people trying to be different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!, June 4 2004
D. Lee (Baltimore, Md United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abbey Road (Audio CD)
This is absolutely one of the most amazing things that I have ever heard in my life! Wow! With the exception of Octopus' Garden, this album is absolutely flawless. And it's not just that this album is flawless, this album just has a rare chemistry, spirit, and pulse that pushes it beyond just greatness. In the past eight months I have come to acquire five other Beatles albums because I was so impressed. They are all great, but Abbey Road stands at the top of the pack. I don't see how anyone could love music and not love this album. "Come Together" is an intense hard rocker that gets things off to a dynamic start. "Something" is one of the most perfect songs that I have ever heard. It does such an effective job of setting and projecting just the right mood for the lyrics. This love song is perfectly constructed and really pushes the listener to be wholly submerged in the artist' world while listening. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is another great song. The tone of the song is like that of a joyous childlike sing-a-long but the song is about a serial killer who preys on his victims with a silver hammer. This makes for a stark and striking contrast. "Oh! Darling"'s baseline is like some slow classy sophistafunk. This song starts off with an almost doo-wop feel to it, but then the guys crank it up into an intense hard rocker. This once again is extremely effective at drawing the listener into the musician's world and allowing you to completely lose yourself in the experience. "Octopus's Garden" is Ringo's contribution and it could have very well been omitted in my opinion. It's a well put together song but it just sounds out of place on this album. The next song is one of the GREATEST rock songs that I have ever heard. The way the singer sings the same notes that he plays right in tune with the guitar is very Hendrix-like. John Lennon completely pulls you into his world for this one and it makes for quite an intense and ultimatley cathartic experience. "Here Comes the Sun" is a beautiful and sunny song with a really optimistic undertone to it. "Because" will cause you to just zone out and lose yourself in its sonic depths. The lyrics are basically a series of ironic thought provoking plays on words that have a double meaning. They basically use words in both their literal sense and their figurative sense in the same sentence: brilliant and clever! Their voices are like fine tuned instruments that blend perfectly with the other instruments to melt into a wonderful world of bliss; sucking you in until you drown. "You never give me your money" is a great song that is really like four mini songs put together. The begin piano sets the perfect mood to allow you to stay emerged after experiencing "Because". Impeccably great! It then trancsends into a much more uptempo part of the song. This part connects with another part that is also very uptempo which speaks about getting a grip on and rising above your current situation. It then ends with a sing-a-long type chorus with a great guitar solo to go along with it. "Sun King" is like a dreamy spaced out break in a sense, and this is yet another great song. Now the famouse 'suite' begins. Listening to the ending song suite is just a magnificent experience because it just feels so perfect. It feels like timeless musical masters had come up with their grand finale, which is what this is. This album earned my total and complete respect and gratitude. I am greatful that they took the time and the energy out to make this album, and that the technology was around that would allow me to be able to experience it years later. I STRONGLY recommend this album to everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars What Can I say - Classic Beatles, Oct. 20 2013
This review is from: Abbey Road (Vinyl) (LP Record)
Classic Beatles - on Vinyl no less. My first, original, copy was worn out. This purchase filled the void. Nuttin like hearing the Fab Four on good ole plastic. The way it was intended. Modern day playback turntables do it more than justice. It exalts the audio to new pinnacles. Good price for a reprint. Vinyl weight a little low but just means it needs more TLC. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come together!, Oct. 7 2013
This review is from: Abbey Road (Audio CD)
Come together is THE magic track that, like the album relaxes + vastly entertains me!! You'll love it! Unless you are like punk,thrash, hardcover fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favorite Cd's, July 15 2013
This review is from: Abbey Road (Audio CD)
I love the beatles and this is like a work of art. I used to sit and listen to the Beatles as a kid and now that I am older I still find their music timless. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it..., June 7 2013
...but I love music, most recently, vinyl has captured my attention & this sounds better on vinyl than it does on my CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 30 2013
This review is from: Abbey Road (Vinyl) (LP Record)
I'm waiting to a/b this with my original Japanese pressing. In spite of the obi on this 2012 release, it appears to have been pressed in Europe.

5.0 out of 5 stars abbey road, April 2 2014
abbey road is a great track with great sound brought back many memories of when it was first released. great memories

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best, Feb. 5 2014
This review is from: Abbey Road (Audio CD)
Heard this recently. Had never bought it.
I was really missing out.
A CD full of good cuts - and you get the booklet.

ARRAY(0xb8a525d0)

Abbey Road (Vinyl)
Abbey Road (Vinyl) by The Beatles (LP Record - 1995)