5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of the Soul of France
Edith Piaf (1915-1963) was an unexpected artist, the child of a part-time prostitute and a circus acrobat, raised in a brothel, singing on street corners for pennies in Paris--until 1935, when her success at the famous Paris nightspot Gernys launched her to what would become international stardom. Notorious for her many ill-starred love affairs, attacked as a Nazi...
Published on July 8 2004 by Gary F. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality very poor
The songs are wonderful but this disc needs to be re-mastered it sounds like she is singing in a box .i will be looking for future songs from this era whether it is Edith or whomever that have been re masterd
Published 6 months ago by Andrew Bowman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent collection of some of Edith's best songs, Jan. 15 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Voice of the Sparrow: The Very Best of Edith Piaf (Audio CD)
This cd features some of the greatest songs by one of the greatest voices of our time. Among my favorite songs are "T'es Beau, Tu Sais", "Comme Moi", and "La vie en rose". This album is a must for anyone who loves Piaf and is a good collection for beginners who are unfamiliar with her songs. One need not understand French to enjoy this wonderful music. I must give this cd 5 stars, as there is no other voice like the voice of Edith Piaf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me want to learn French, Dec 29 1998
By A Customer
Despite the language barrier, the emotional content of this artist comes through without doubt. It's a CD that can withstand many, many listenings, and still retain its ability to give pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, Dec 8 1998
E. Brown (Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This CD is wonderful, whether you know the language or not. I've studied French language and culture extensively, which only intensifies the experience. C'est magnifique!

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 great songs., Aug. 30 1998
By A Customer
Edith has such a beautiful and clear voice. You don't have to understand the language to appreciate it. It's relaxing to enjoy and listen to while driving. A good compilation of all her best known songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the work of Edith Piaf., Aug. 23 1998
By A Customer
This album offers an excellent overview of the songs of Edith Piaf. The selection is varied and the sound quality is much better than that found on other recordings of Piaf. This is an extremely enjoyable album which will provide much nostalgic listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars She was such a babe!!!, Jan. 1 2004
I wish I could go back it time, so I could have an affiar with her. I'm completely infatuated with her, like Dana Andrew was with Gene Tierney's pertait in Laura! Her vocie is haunting, sexual, sensual, oozing with pain, laughter, humor, and SEX, SEX, SEX! A true legend, heck the woman had an affiar with Marlene Dietrich and was a legendary performer in her time, and conyinues to thrill young poeple liek me(I'm 19!). A great cd which covers ler last years on record, best in a french version of "Laugh clown." It's all good and poignient stuff, for us artistic types.

3.0 out of 5 stars Je chante pour raviver les memoires, April 14 2000
Les chante pour desveaux a la spirale duface. Ete si'il soussaint je ne pleivous a tesefioux. A voux voureis tesel prix choc messengous. Quasous tes va ca coutete vouasne. JE CHOAN TES VOULEUR QUE DUS DE LA "EDITH PIAF" QUASIFOUTIN.
AT

1.0 out of 5 stars Her Legendary Edith Piaf, Aug. 9 2001
As a little boy growing up to become a man I found solace in those wonderful songs which always consoles me. It was as if her songs were specially designed for my emotions, though linving in Nigeria where French language is not a major language I just couldnt understand her lyrics. One thing I found so fascinating about Her Legendary Edith Piaf was her voice and style. I guess she and her Composers ever worked head to push those best songs out. Thanks for your little explanation of her lyrics otherwise I wouldn't have been able to understand the little I know of her lyrics by now. My favorites are: LES AMANTS 'D' UM JOUR(1956), JONNY TU N' ES PAS UN ANGE(1953), MILORD(1959), NON JE REGRETTE RIEN(1960) which I leant means "I have no regret", well this was just song 3 years before her death, LES AMANTS MERVLLEUX(1960), EXODUS(1961), BRAVO POUR LE CLOWN(1953), LA VIEN ROSE(1949), LE PRISONNIER DE LA TOUR(1947) and others... I hope one of these days I should be able to drop her a rose flower at her grave side. What hurts me most is that she died 8 years before I was born. How I wished human were designed to live forever. Her songs brought joy to so many people's hearts, sometimes dancing steps and sometimes tears dropping down your cheeks. What a legend she was.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›