5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of the Soul of France
Edith Piaf (1915-1963) was an unexpected artist, the child of a part-time prostitute and a circus acrobat, raised in a brothel, singing on street corners for pennies in Paris--until 1935, when her success at the famous Paris nightspot Gernys launched her to what would become international stardom. Notorious for her many ill-starred love affairs, attacked as a Nazi...
Published on July 8 2004 by Gary F. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality very poor
The songs are wonderful but this disc needs to be re-mastered it sounds like she is singing in a box .i will be looking for future songs from this era whether it is Edith or whomever that have been re masterd
Published 11 months ago by Andrew Bowman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Voice of the Sparrow, Oct. 28 2000
Shilpa (Macomb, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Voice of the Sparrow: The Very Best of Edith Piaf (Audio CD)
I do not understand French, but the sounds of this CD can bring goosebumps. What a heart touching music. Wish there were some notes regarding Edith Piaf-her times and her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, Dec 7 1998
E. Brown (Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This CD is wonderful, whether you know the language or not. I've studied French language and culture extensively, which only intensifies the experience. C'est magnifique!

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est magnifique!, March 6 1999
By A Customer
All the best Edith Piaf songs are on this cd. Many will be familiar even if you don't recognize the French titles. Simply beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Edith Piaf, Feb. 11 2000
By A Customer
Another great woman in our Art, Culture & Entertainment!

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, July 31 2011
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I really wanted to like this album. I recognized the name and her song "La Vie En Rose" is part of everything French. After "La Vie En Rose" in the "'Allo 'Allo! (1982 TV series)" I thought I would take a chance on this album. Well it turns out I like Louis Armstrong better at that particular song.

I found Edith Piaf's voice to be a tad raspy and with the exception of the songs that really sounded French, she just grated. Most of the songs on this album make me thing that Edith was the Connie Frances of her time. Maybe part of the problem is I only understand a handful of the words. But I was hoping the other attributes would make up for that (they did not).

The package comes with a paper insert that has a list of the songs.

The artist, born Édith Giovanna Gassion led an interesting life. You could make a movie from it. However it is her music that interested me. That is before buying this album. Don't get me wrong. It is not bad, just not my taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars quality cd of Edith Piaf's best songs, Nov. 27 2014
Sounds good

5.0 out of 5 stars She was such a babe!!!, Jan. 1 2004
I wish I could go back it time, so I could have an affiar with her. I'm completely infatuated with her, like Dana Andrew was with Gene Tierney's pertait in Laura! Her vocie is haunting, sexual, sensual, oozing with pain, laughter, humor, and SEX, SEX, SEX! A true legend, heck the woman had an affiar with Marlene Dietrich and was a legendary performer in her time, and conyinues to thrill young poeple liek me(I'm 19!). A great cd which covers ler last years on record, best in a french version of "Laugh clown." It's all good and poignient stuff, for us artistic types.

1.0 out of 5 stars Her Legendary Edith Piaf, Aug. 9 2001
As a little boy growing up to become a man I found solace in those wonderful songs which always consoles me. It was as if her songs were specially designed for my emotions, though linving in Nigeria where French language is not a major language I just couldnt understand her lyrics. One thing I found so fascinating about Her Legendary Edith Piaf was her voice and style. I guess she and her Composers ever worked head to push those best songs out. Thanks for your little explanation of her lyrics otherwise I wouldn't have been able to understand the little I know of her lyrics by now. My favorites are: LES AMANTS 'D' UM JOUR(1956), JONNY TU N' ES PAS UN ANGE(1953), MILORD(1959), NON JE REGRETTE RIEN(1960) which I leant means "I have no regret", well this was just song 3 years before her death, LES AMANTS MERVLLEUX(1960), EXODUS(1961), BRAVO POUR LE CLOWN(1953), LA VIEN ROSE(1949), LE PRISONNIER DE LA TOUR(1947) and others... I hope one of these days I should be able to drop her a rose flower at her grave side. What hurts me most is that she died 8 years before I was born. How I wished human were designed to live forever. Her songs brought joy to so many people's hearts, sometimes dancing steps and sometimes tears dropping down your cheeks. What a legend she was.

3.0 out of 5 stars Je chante pour raviver les memoires, April 14 2000
Les chante pour desveaux a la spirale duface. Ete si'il soussaint je ne pleivous a tesefioux. A voux voureis tesel prix choc messengous. Quasous tes va ca coutete vouasne. JE CHOAN TES VOULEUR QUE DUS DE LA "EDITH PIAF" QUASIFOUTIN.
AT