5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of the Soul of France
Edith Piaf (1915-1963) was an unexpected artist, the child of a part-time prostitute and a circus acrobat, raised in a brothel, singing on street corners for pennies in Paris--until 1935, when her success at the famous Paris nightspot Gernys launched her to what would become international stardom. Notorious for her many ill-starred love affairs, attacked as a Nazi...
Published on July 8 2004 by Gary F. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality very poor
The songs are wonderful but this disc needs to be re-mastered it sounds like she is singing in a box .i will be looking for future songs from this era whether it is Edith or whomever that have been re masterd
Published 18 months ago by Andrew Bowman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Edith Piaf, Nov. 20 2013
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Voice of the Sparrow: The Very Best of Edith Piaf (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because my husband was rather fond of the songs she sang on this CD. Since he received it last night, he has really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars marvellous, March 17 2014
hearing her voice transports me back to my wonderful European holidays.
The variety of songs are well chosen and so beautifully sung

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est magnifique!, March 6 1999
By A Customer
All the best Edith Piaf songs are on this cd. Many will be familiar even if you don't recognize the French titles. Simply beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the Best of!!!, May 23 2013
I got this album for my father & he absolutely loved it!....Finding the songs he has enjoyed through the years...A good buy indeed!

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, July 31 2011
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I really wanted to like this album. I recognized the name and her song "La Vie En Rose" is part of everything French. After "La Vie En Rose" in the "'Allo 'Allo! (1982 TV series)" I thought I would take a chance on this album. Well it turns out I like Louis Armstrong better at that particular song.

I found Edith Piaf's voice to be a tad raspy and with the exception of the songs that really sounded French, she just grated. Most of the songs on this album make me thing that Edith was the Connie Frances of her time. Maybe part of the problem is I only understand a handful of the words. But I was hoping the other attributes would make up for that (they did not).

The package comes with a paper insert that has a list of the songs.

The artist, born Édith Giovanna Gassion led an interesting life. You could make a movie from it. However it is her music that interested me. That is before buying this album. Don't get me wrong. It is not bad, just not my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edith Piaf, Feb. 11 2000
By A Customer
Another great woman in our Art, Culture & Entertainment!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 13 2015
It is a "mono" recording and lacks depth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, May 12 2015
Not the songs I wanted. Will need to try again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, May 6 2015