Published on Feb. 12 2012 by Dr. Joseph Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good, the Bad, and the Cheesy.
Published on Sept. 20 2002 by The Groove

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Houston: Whitney...her second album, another must-own!, Feb. 12 2012
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Whitney Houston has suddenly passed away at the tender age of 48. She has led a tumultuous life, with drug abuse, resulting in the ultimate sacrifice: the loss of her golden voice and her life. According to Tommy Mottola, the boss at Sony, he rightly said that Whitney Houston's voice at the peak of her career was considered the golden standard, to be imitated by other singers that follow.

To truly appreciate the raw talent of Whitney, a greatest hits album is simply not enough. She has 19 charted albums on Billboard 200 Album Chart. If you want to collect individual Whitney's albums on CDs, the three must-owns are 1) Whitney Houston, her first release, 2) The Bodyguard (both reviewed by myself elsewhere) and 3) Whitney, her second release, that is being reviewed here.

Whitney stayed at Number 1 on Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for 11 weeks, and sold over 9 million copies. The audio was very well remastered. There are 11 very catchy tunes:

Track 01 I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)(#1 for 2 weeks/1987)
Track 02 Just The Lonely Talking Again (album track)
Track 03 Love Will Save The Day (#9/1988)
Track 04 Didn't We Almost Have It All (#1 for 2 weeks/1987)
Track 05 So Emotional (#1/1987)
Track 06 Where You Are (b-side to Where Do Broken Hearts Go)
Track 07 Love Is A Contact Sport (b-side to One Moment In Time)
Track 08 You're Still My Man (album track)
Track 09 For The Love Of You (b-side to So Emotional)
Track 10 Where Do Broken Hearts Go (#1 for 2 weeks/1988)
Track 11 I Know Him So Well (album track)

Whitney is her second album, and also has many chart-topping hits and catchy tunes. This album is highly recommended and is a must-own as part of your Whitney Houston collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album., July 13 2004
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Whitney's sophomore effort, simply entitled "Whitney", was an album fill with truly great music. Whitney had the voice and some great material (thanks to her mentor Clive Davis) to put together a truly classic album.
The sound of the album is more of a sythesized-pop/R&B feel (remember, this WAS the 80s), with the signature Whitney Houston ballads. The album features productions and writing from Narada Michael Walden (who produced most of the album - and frequently produced for many, many artists throughout the 80s and early 90s), Jellybean, Billy Steinberg/Tom Kelly, and Michael Masser, among others.
Most notable hits are "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)", "So Emotional" (my personal favorite), "Love Will Save The Day", "Where Do Broken Hearts Go," and "Didn't We Almost Have It All." Another notable song is "I Know Him So Well" which features Whitney's mother Cissy Houston.
Overall, if you are a fan of the great pop sounds of the 80s, or just addicted to Whitney's amazing voice, this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have played this Whitney album the most!, June 14 2004
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
I have played this Whitney Houston album the most! I thought this was a good second album. I Wanna Dance, Where Do Broken Hearts, So Emotional, and Didn't We were all No. 1s and I loved them, but I listened to the other 7 songs a lot more. Just the Lonely Talking Again sounds so smooth, the Isley Brothers remake sounded fabulous and I loved her gorgeous duet with her mother Cissy Houston. But I play Love Is A Contact Sport a lot--I'm always dancing to that one a lot! Fun, bouncy song that she did and I love the percussion and keyboards playing on there! The one song I don't like on here is Where You Are--the lyrics are so corny and lame, I nearly laugh at them when she sings the song. Another song that I like and sing to a lot is Love Will Save the Day. The words to that song mean a lot in today's times, even in a post 9/11 period, the war in Iraq, the high gas prices in the US, and other hardships, that when you feel down, LOVE WILL SAVE THE DAY! This was a strong followup to her debut, she sounded in fabulous form vocally, she got better on her trademark ballads and she could do the edgy dance tracks from '87 so very well too! Only minor thing--I wished she would have put the album out in April of '87 instead of June that year--it would have put so much more excitement in my spring break trip to Florida when I was down there. I would have played the album over and over! But they were still stuck with the 1986 songs at the time, so I can understand her wanting to do more songs that month to finish the album. Overall, phenomenal followup from Whitney!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like All Of Whitney's Work, Amazing., Nov. 1 2003
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
I love this album. It's got a great collection of music on it. For some reason, Whitney always chooses the right songs. Here's a song by song review.
1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody: I didn't really appreciate this album until I found out who sang it, and heard the whole thing. It really grows on you. Same writers who wrote "How Will I Know" wrote this. Great way to start the album.
2. Just The Lonely Again: I haven't listened this song a lot, but it's a pretty song. Great vocals, as usual.
3. Love Will Save The Day: At first, I passed this song, and when I finally listened to it, I learned it has an amazing beat, and catchy lyrics.
4. Didn't We Almost Have It All: love this song! Whitney sounds great, chorus will hook you.
5. So Emotional: Fun song, very upbeat. Whitney sings with attitude in this song. The video is great.
6. Where You Are: You may appreciate this song more for it's vocals, but it's a nice slow song.
7. Love Is A Contact Sport: My favorite song off the album. Though it wasn't a huge hit, or a well known Whitney song, it's got cute lyrics, and an awesome sound. Whitney sounds fantastic.
8. You're Still My Man: I like the sound of Whitney in this song. It doesn't stand out as much as others, though.
9. For The Love Of You: Mid tempo song. Good song to relax to.
10. Where Do Broken Hearts Go?: Whitney didn't want to do this song, but I;m glad she did. It's a very pretty song, one of the highlights on this album. Her 7th consecutive #1 hit.
11. I Know Him So Well: Duet with Whitney's mom, Cissy Houston. Both of them sounded great together.
Anyone who appreciates a great album with variety should get this as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy chart topper., March 18 2003
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Whitney Houston's second album broke all sorts of records back in the day and with good reasons, her unique one-of-a kind voice combined with top notch production. On the downside if you never cared for bordering-on-pop R&B Music this won't make you a fan. Detractors aside, "Whitney" is outstanding through-and-through.
The big hits "I wanna dance with somebody", "So emotional", "Where do broken hearts go", "Love will save the day", and "Didn't we almost have it all" are highly enjoyable. There's also a few lesser known gems here as well. "Just the lonely talking again" is a semi-ballad with an incessant chorus. "Love is a contact sport" with it's catchy main section and driving chorus is vastly overlooked. "I know him so well", A fine duet with Cissy Houston (Whitney's mother) surprisingly wasn't released as a single, that's a shame, as given Whitney's status back then it would've soared up the charts.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good, the Bad, and the Cheesy., Sept. 20 2002
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Houston, we've got a problem. You're a tremendously talented singer, but your choice of material is questionable at best. There are a few solid moments on her second album, which did incredibly well on the charts. The upbeat "Love Will Save the Day" is one of the few songs here that have any trace of soul, and "So Emotional" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" are "so-bad-they're-good" singles that are so catchy and hook-infested, you almost forget how vapid and shallow they really are. But after that, things go downhill. "Didn't We Have it All" and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" are the vanilla-plain ballads that get Houston such a bad rap from critics, though "Just the Lonely Talking Again" isn't half-bad. The verdict on "Whitney" is a split decision: it's not a terrible album but a very safe, professional-sounding one that's cleverly packaged to ensure mass appeal and platinum sales. It's a mainstream album for a mainstream audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars My All-Time Favorite Album!!!!, Oct. 17 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
I must start by saying that this is her best album to date. I never understood those critics saying it was bland and soul-less. I guess when a singer isn't wailing and screeching and begging some stranger to sleep with them it's considered soul-less. Well this album was perfectly produced and arranged. She is at the peak of her vocal ability. I was one of the die-hard fans who couldn't wait for this album to be released. When it was, I bought it and played it everyday(sometimes twice a day) for two years STRAIGHT!!! I still play it every now and then and still get chills. "So Emotional" has to be her best up-tempo ever. "Didn't We.." has to be her best ballad ever. Nothing ever topped this vocal since, not even "I Will Always Love You" in my opinion. "Just The Lonely Talking" has "after work, cool-down" written all over it. I can say something about every track. I love them all equally. This is the only album I'd ever listened to and loved every song. Vocally, she is all over the place, but in all the right places. Her voice is strong, clear, soft, a little gritty in certain areas, and very satisfying to the true singer's ear. She will never be able to sing these songs as they were recorded, so get this album so you can hear why people from that time made her the superstar she is today. Also, get her mother's album, "Midnight Train To Georgia..The Janus Years." You'll see where Whitney got her voice from. Believe me, it's just like listening to Whitney's voice on steroids. At Whitney's peak, she still couldn't compete with her mother.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Old" Whitney is the Best Whitney, June 11 2001
Laura MacDonald (Augusta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
The last Whitney Houston allbum I bought was "The Bodyguard" and I have not bought another of her albums since. The reviewer who said that Whitney was better "pre-Bobby" hit the nail on the head. Nothing compares to her first three albums-this one being her second and my favorite. The smoothness of this album is what makes it sooo good. There really isn't a bad song on here. I actually don't enjoy the songs that were hits as much as the ones that weren't. I kept reading the reviews for this album and near the end someone FINALLY mentioned the song "Just the Lonely Talking Again"-the best song on the album-hands down. This is actually one of my favorite songs to put on after a stressful day-it's smooth, soulful and transporting. The other would be "I Know Him So Well" written by Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson of ABBA. Fabulous song and fabulous writers, but that's another review all together.
Buy this album, enjoy this album-this is as good as Whitney gets!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Voice Sings Again, Jan. 25 2001
D. Lynch "dl257" (Delanco, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
In 1987 the music lovers worldwide held their breath as Whitney Houston released the follow up album to her record breaking self titled debut. This album, was once again executive produced by music genious Clive Davis and is amazing. The best song on the album is "Where Do Broken Hearts Go", it is soulful, vocally stunning, and still has the pop feeling that people love. It also broke music's biggest record as it became Whitney's 7th consecutive #1 single, no one had done it before and no one has come close to doing it since. Then you throw in "Didn't We Almost Have It All", a pure pop ballad with smooth soul. Then two more pop songs that everyone danced to "So Emotional" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" (1988's Grammy Winner for best Pop Vocal Performance Female). Plus there is "I Know Him So Well", a duet with Whintey's mom, Cissy, think of it is a adult and passionate version of "The Boy Is Mine". There are also two songs I really enjoy, "Where You Are" and "You're Still My Man (which I consider to be a classic Whitney power ballad). This album has sold 9 million copies in the U.S. and another 8 million overseas, produced four #1 Pop Singles, three #2 R&B Hits, three #1 AC Hits, and three #1 Dance Hits (I Wanna Dance With Somebody, So Emotional, and Love Will Save The Day). This album is wonderful, a great mix of youth, grace, pop, and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph; packed with essential #1 smash hits!, Sept. 30 2000
"whitneyfan" (Kansas City, KS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
This is just as great as her first CD, and in my opinion even a bit better (if that's possible). Even if you're not a huge fan of hers, you simply must own this album. There are four undisputable reasons why: The uptempo dance gems "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" and "So Emotional" are THE BEST!!! They truly stand the test of time. And the beautiful ballads "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" have also held up over the years--just listen to that voice!!! When you're a singer of this magnitude and vocal talent, even great songs become EXCELLENT songs and she's definitly the best. These four songs are essential for any cd collection. Worth every penny! If you ever had your doubts about this singer, then I challenge you to listen to these treasures and then you'll know what a phenomenal talent Whitney Houston really is. My favorite Whitney album of all time! Simply the best!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Whitney
Whitney by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 1987)
Click for more info