Published on Feb. 12 2012 by Dr. Joseph Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good, the Bad, and the Cheesy.
Houston, we've got a problem. You're a tremendously talented singer, but your choice of material is questionable at best. There are a few solid moments on her second album, which did incredibly well on the charts. The upbeat "Love Will Save the Day" is one of the few songs here that have any trace of soul, and "So Emotional" and "I Wanna Dance...
Published on Sept. 20 2002 by The Groove

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Houston: Whitney...her second album, another must-own!, Feb. 12 2012
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Whitney Houston has suddenly passed away at the tender age of 48. She has led a tumultuous life, with drug abuse, resulting in the ultimate sacrifice: the loss of her golden voice and her life. According to Tommy Mottola, the boss at Sony, he rightly said that Whitney Houston's voice at the peak of her career was considered the golden standard, to be imitated by other singers that follow.

To truly appreciate the raw talent of Whitney, a greatest hits album is simply not enough. She has 19 charted albums on Billboard 200 Album Chart. If you want to collect individual Whitney's albums on CDs, the three must-owns are 1) Whitney Houston, her first release, 2) The Bodyguard (both reviewed by myself elsewhere) and 3) Whitney, her second release, that is being reviewed here.

Whitney stayed at Number 1 on Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for 11 weeks, and sold over 9 million copies. The audio was very well remastered. There are 11 very catchy tunes:

Track 01 I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)(#1 for 2 weeks/1987)
Track 02 Just The Lonely Talking Again (album track)
Track 03 Love Will Save The Day (#9/1988)
Track 04 Didn't We Almost Have It All (#1 for 2 weeks/1987)
Track 05 So Emotional (#1/1987)
Track 06 Where You Are (b-side to Where Do Broken Hearts Go)
Track 07 Love Is A Contact Sport (b-side to One Moment In Time)
Track 08 You're Still My Man (album track)
Track 09 For The Love Of You (b-side to So Emotional)
Track 10 Where Do Broken Hearts Go (#1 for 2 weeks/1988)
Track 11 I Know Him So Well (album track)

Whitney is her second album, and also has many chart-topping hits and catchy tunes. This album is highly recommended and is a must-own as part of your Whitney Houston collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finalize my Collection, Jan. 13 2013
K. Wright "Advocate" (Toronto, On) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
If you are a Whitney fan and a collector of her music, this is a great album to have.

I really love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Female Album...Ever!, July 16 2004
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
It may not be as great as Michael Jackson's albums like Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, History, or Off The Wall and etc...but on the other hand, this underrated treasure is the best female album ever.
This album is much better than her previous debut album. Every song, I mean every single song on this album is lovable...not likable but loveable and is pure genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album., July 13 2004
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Whitney's sophomore effort, simply entitled "Whitney", was an album fill with truly great music. Whitney had the voice and some great material (thanks to her mentor Clive Davis) to put together a truly classic album.
The sound of the album is more of a sythesized-pop/R&B feel (remember, this WAS the 80s), with the signature Whitney Houston ballads. The album features productions and writing from Narada Michael Walden (who produced most of the album - and frequently produced for many, many artists throughout the 80s and early 90s), Jellybean, Billy Steinberg/Tom Kelly, and Michael Masser, among others.
Most notable hits are "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)", "So Emotional" (my personal favorite), "Love Will Save The Day", "Where Do Broken Hearts Go," and "Didn't We Almost Have It All." Another notable song is "I Know Him So Well" which features Whitney's mother Cissy Houston.
Overall, if you are a fan of the great pop sounds of the 80s, or just addicted to Whitney's amazing voice, this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have played this Whitney album the most!, June 15 2004
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
I have played this Whitney Houston album the most! I thought this was a good second album. I Wanna Dance, Where Do Broken Hearts, So Emotional, and Didn't We were all No. 1s and I loved them, but I listened to the other 7 songs a lot more. Just the Lonely Talking Again sounds so smooth, the Isley Brothers remake sounded fabulous and I loved her gorgeous duet with her mother Cissy Houston. But I play Love Is A Contact Sport a lot--I'm always dancing to that one a lot! Fun, bouncy song that she did and I love the percussion and keyboards playing on there! The one song I don't like on here is Where You Are--the lyrics are so corny and lame, I nearly laugh at them when she sings the song. Another song that I like and sing to a lot is Love Will Save the Day. The words to that song mean a lot in today's times, even in a post 9/11 period, the war in Iraq, the high gas prices in the US, and other hardships, that when you feel down, LOVE WILL SAVE THE DAY! This was a strong followup to her debut, she sounded in fabulous form vocally, she got better on her trademark ballads and she could do the edgy dance tracks from '87 so very well too! Only minor thing--I wished she would have put the album out in April of '87 instead of June that year--it would have put so much more excitement in my spring break trip to Florida when I was down there. I would have played the album over and over! But they were still stuck with the 1986 songs at the time, so I can understand her wanting to do more songs that month to finish the album. Overall, phenomenal followup from Whitney!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of the 1980s, June 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
Not only are the megahits "So Emotional", "Didn't We Almost" and "I Wanna Dance" on here, so is a hidden gem called "Where You Are"-- though the instrumentation and lyric grow a little cheesy, Whitney delivers an AMAZING vocal performance. Just listen to the chorus and you'll hear her gift-- she takes a good song and makes it sound great.
Worth every penny...buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars give it 6 stars, Dec 30 2003
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
The debut by Whitney is worth all the praise. Fantastic voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Nov. 3 2003
Tala Reynolds "Lloyd Reynolds" (Jacksonville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
The entire CD and all of its songs receive an A- from me. It's definitely worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like All Of Whitney's Work, Amazing., Nov. 1 2003
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
I love this album. It's got a great collection of music on it. For some reason, Whitney always chooses the right songs. Here's a song by song review.
1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody: I didn't really appreciate this album until I found out who sang it, and heard the whole thing. It really grows on you. Same writers who wrote "How Will I Know" wrote this. Great way to start the album.
2. Just The Lonely Again: I haven't listened this song a lot, but it's a pretty song. Great vocals, as usual.
3. Love Will Save The Day: At first, I passed this song, and when I finally listened to it, I learned it has an amazing beat, and catchy lyrics.
4. Didn't We Almost Have It All: love this song! Whitney sounds great, chorus will hook you.
5. So Emotional: Fun song, very upbeat. Whitney sings with attitude in this song. The video is great.
6. Where You Are: You may appreciate this song more for it's vocals, but it's a nice slow song.
7. Love Is A Contact Sport: My favorite song off the album. Though it wasn't a huge hit, or a well known Whitney song, it's got cute lyrics, and an awesome sound. Whitney sounds fantastic.
8. You're Still My Man: I like the sound of Whitney in this song. It doesn't stand out as much as others, though.
9. For The Love Of You: Mid tempo song. Good song to relax to.
10. Where Do Broken Hearts Go?: Whitney didn't want to do this song, but I;m glad she did. It's a very pretty song, one of the highlights on this album. Her 7th consecutive #1 hit.
11. I Know Him So Well: Duet with Whitney's mom, Cissy Houston. Both of them sounded great together.
Anyone who appreciates a great album with variety should get this as soon as possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars A STAR IS BORN....., Oct. 27 2003
S. Quinto (Guatemala, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney (Audio CD)
After the mega success of her debut album Whitney returned with a more POP appealing album that focuses on well produced urban sounds. This album is the album that made Whitney A Mega Star in the whole world. The Danceable hits like "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", "So Emotional" and "Love Will Save The Day" were all around the pop radios and club joints. The ballads catapulted Houston to a bigger audience, not only teenagers but adults, "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go", this album made us think that she would be stuck in the Narada sound, but I'm Your Baby Tonight changed that, this album is worth the listen, although it does hold a few filler cuts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Whitney
Whitney by Whitney Houston (Audio CD - 1987)