5.0 out of 5 stars Diva in her prime
Published on Sept. 11 2003 by PePsI987

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good But Uneven Album
If it weren't for songs like "I Have Nothing," "Queen of the Night" and "Run to You," I'd probably give this album only two stars. With the exception of "I Will Always Love You," the Whitney Houston selections really make this album while the rest of the material is merely second-rate.
"I Will Always Love You" is one...
Published on April 6 2001 by quasar_909

5.0 out of 5 stars Diva in her prime, Sept. 11 2003
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
"The bodyguard" probably shows Ms Houston in the pinnacle of her career. Her vocals have finally matured and sound better then ever. The powerhouse megahit "I Will Always Love You" originally written/sung by Dolly Parton spent over 14 weeks at the number one chart, making it one of the longest number one hits on the charts. David Foster is the primary producer of her radio hits, doing his best and succeeds at imitating "Babyface"'s work. The highlights are obviously Whitney's hits, such as the soulful "Run To You" and "I Have Nothing." I also enjoy the down-right FUNKY remake of Chaka Kahn's "I'm Every Woman" as well as the sassy powerhouse hit "Queen of the Night." The second half of the album features such artists as famed Saxophonist Kenny G, soul legend Aaron Neville and her mother Cissy Houston. "The Bodyguard" shows Whitney's voice at her best, and the Gospel track "Jesus Loves Me" prooves that as well. I really reccomend this soundtrack to anyone who enjoyed the radio hits and is clammoring for more Whitney!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Through Whitney., June 26 2003
Rev Edith (Carlisle, Pa, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
Whitney Houston....What is she all about? Well the girl can sing and there is no two ways about that. Her albums feature songs for everyone..I mean when she sings...you listen to the words and whatever your emotions are at that moment, she touches them. cry, laugh, love, inspire, encourage....and I mean that.
"I will Always Love you"anyone in a relationship at that time had to be more inspired to treat your gal/guy as your precious love above all. "Run To You" would make you get off the stick and commit if you had not already done so. I mean Whitney and only Whitney can take a song and make those words feel and even 'talk' to you. She's the balm and frankly in the music world she has not received her just due. Her pipes are unmatched.Keep on keeping on...don't stop..The Best Is yet to come.I bought the CD after I saw the movie "The Bodyguard." and for the last three or more years I play the CD and watch the movie over and over again. There is a message in her songs and Whitney puts all of herself into her songs...she makes them her own even when they are written by another. She is commanding and that also comes out in her talent and God-given abilities to use that talent to be more than an entertainer.She entertains yes, but its deeper than that. She inspires.In my profession that means much..to inspire others to seek meaning in their lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Houston's soundtrack rules as the Queen of the Night, May 30 2003
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
There have been a lot of successful soundtrack albums from "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music" to "Grease" and "Titanic," but in all of those cases the movies were big successes as well. However, in the case of "The Bodyguard" the album was way more successful than the film selling over 15 million copies, spending 20 weeks at the top of the charts, and winning the Grammy award for Album of the Year. Then there was the hit single, "I Will Always Love You," a powerful cover of Dolly Parton's sweet little song, which hit the #1 spot on the Billboard singles chart and stayed there for 15 weeks. Of course where "The Bodyguard" was different from most soundtracks was that the leading lady not only did her own singing but happened to be at the top of her game. True, she only sang the first six songs on the album (what would have been the first side of the record back in the olden days), but these were songs that sounded like Houston was still recording "I'm Your Baby Tonight," except with better songs. Consequently, there is nothing here that is regarded as a stretch for the singer turned actress (compare the results with what Bette Midler had to do in her first film, "The Rose"; Midler is a pretty good singer but Janis Joplin-type songs are not her forte).
Most of the other songs made it high up on various charts: "I Have Nothing" was #4 on the Billboard Hot 100, "Run to You" was #10 on Adult Contemporary, "I'm Every Woman" was #1 for Hot Dance Music/Club Play; and "Queen Of The Night" was #1 for Hot Dance Music/Club Play. For four years the album made it to the top spot on the Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums. If you want more of an explanation for the album's success than Whitney Houston's voice and Kevin Costner's buzz cut, then the variety of charts these songs covered evidences its widespread popularity. The only serious complaint is that Houston only does the first half of the ablum and the rest is just the sort of filler than usually makes its way onto soundtrack albums in the last decade or so even if having Kenny G, Aaron Neville, and Joe Cocker doing the filling was above average. But in comparison to the way the album started the second half could not help but suffer in comparison. There had not been a soundtrack so "A" side "B" side since the Beatles put out "Yellow Submarine" and I just cannot round this one up when it comes to the rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Delivers, July 3 2001
J. M. Zuurbier (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
In all honesty the only reason to buy this album is for the songs sung by Whitney Houston. This was Whitney's first movie and she's actually quite good, but nothing is better than her voice. These songs are classic and forever will be remembered by fans and admirers. "I Will Always Love You" is a cover of the Dolly Parton hit from 1974 and 1982. Classic song for Whitney right there, with beautiful vocals and an outpouring of emotion. "Run To You" is equally compelling, the emotional depth of Whitney's ballads is incredible. Same goes for "I Have Nothing", another classic. Some of Whitney's best songs came from this soundtrack. "Queen of the Night" is a fun, early 90's dance song. "I'm Every Woman" is Whitney's take of the Chaka Kahn hit. "Jesus Loves Me" is an excellent gospel song, made for the soundtrack (it wasn't in the movie). Overall these are six classic songs by Whitney which makes this a must buy for fans or anyone who enjoyed the music of The Bodyguard.

5.0 out of 5 stars The"Thriller" of the 90's.Just perfect, June 21 2001
Bob Waskiewicz (Wintersville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
"The Bodyguard" soundtrack is one of the biggest selling albums from the 90's.The 6 cuts from Whitney are all masterpieces.I was shocked to find out She co-wrote "Queen of the Night," along with Babyface.This has got to be one of the hardest rocking songs from Houston,and my favorite from the album."Jesus Loves Me" is another great song not played on the radio."I will always Love you," written by Dolly Parton,is beutifull.This was Kevin Costner's favorite song,and his idea to have Whitney record the number for the soundtrack.The Kenny G/AAron Neville duet,"Even if my heart would Break," is another great cut,but the real killer is "Its Gonna Be A lovely Day," by (The S.O.U.L.S.Y.S.T.E.M.)A fantastic rap,early 90's,HipHop sound. After almost 10 years,"The Bodyguard" soundtrack is still fresh.It would be great if Costner and Houston got together again for "The Bodyguard,Part2."Whitney's stlye has changed alot since the early 90's,and I think the record and Movie would be a huge hit.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good But Uneven Album, April 6 2001
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
"I Will Always Love You" is one of those songs that no matter who performs it, it's still a LOUSY song! This song got an inordinate amount of air play when it was released as a single nine years ago and it quickly wore out its welcome. If I never hear this song again, that'll be fine with me. Whenever I play this CD, I always skip over this track.
"I Have Nothing" is a song that starts you off easy and then takes you to the top. WH delivers this song the only way she can and as far as I'm concerned, this is the best song on the album.
"Queen of the Night" is a solid rocker that has a Van Halen edge to it. WH steps out of her balladeer mode and gives an in-your-face performance. This is a good song that shows a different side of Houston's musical persona.
As for the rest of the material on this album, the only song that's half-way decent is the SOUL SYSTEM'S semi-rap version of the old Bill Withers hit, "Lovely Day." If you liked the original version of this song, you probably won't like this rendition. But if you're a "90's" guy/gal, it'll probably appeal to you.
Having heard some of Joe Cocker's material during the '70's, I can honestly say the man hasn't changed which is to say he still can't sing! Cocker is bereft of any musical talent and his duet with Sass Jordan only makes a bad situation worse.
More often than not, soundtrack albums tend to be a lot better than the movie itself. In this case, the soundtrack is only somewhat better. Well, at least here you don't have to listen to Kevin Costner's insipid dialogue.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Bodyguard, Oct. 28 2000
"vassar2000" (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
Technically, this soundtrack should solely be known as a "Whitney Houston" recording for a few reasons. She dominates the first half of this soundtrack with stirring and powerful songs, while the other half of this soundtrack contains a random mix of artists. Even when people talk about this soundtrack to this day, they only mention Whitney Houston's name, but they never mention the other artists on this soundtrack. They make it seem as if she is the only artist on this soundtrack. Well, that's because Whitney's songs were the ones that made this soundtrack the multi-million selling phenomenon it became when it was released in the fall of 1992. The other artists are virtually non-existent with their bland and forgettable songs that should not have been included in the first place. All of Whitney's songs, with the exception of "Jesus Loves Me", are good songs that reflect the movie's plot about a love that develops between a superstar singer and the bodyguard who is hired to protect her. The exception that I mentioned, "Jesus Loves Me", is a random song that does not fit into this soundtrack. I wonder what relevance or connection this song had with the movie. The first track, "I Will Always Love You", is the central driving force and catalyst of this soundtrack. It's the song that people remember when they think of "The Bodyguard". I like Whitney's version of this Dolly Parton classic, but I also think people should check out Dolly Parton's version because it is just as stirring and beautiful (if not more so). Whitney also does an updated version of the Chaka Kahn classic, "I'm Every Woman". This song is a fast-paced and fun affirmation of the power and beauty of womanhood. It's nice that Whitney gives credit to Chaka Kahn in the song when she says "Chaka Kahn" a few times in the end.
Whitney's vocals are very powerful and the notes she hits are amazing (even if some notes become too much at times and a little too uncomfortable on the ears..."I Have Nothing"). With this song, and in general, Whitney should reach for more emotion as opposed to seeing how many high notes she can hit and how long she can hold them. I feel at times the songs are more about the execution of the notes, and not about the potential emotions that are embedded in them. At times, her singing comes off as too calculated or careful. I like the emotion and spontaneity I hear instead from Whitney's R&B contemporaries like Mary J. Blige and Faith Evans. Mary J. Blige and Faith Evans sound more organic in their songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bodyguard Triumph, Sept. 27 2002
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
Surprisingly, when Whitney Houston made the leap from music to movies, nobody ever expected the music to be as powerful and enduring as it remains today. Nevertheless, she proved that music did matter in every single film, and every single soundtrack sale that gets highly overlooked for movies.
The 1992 soundtrack to The Bodyguard, consists of half the songs Whitney Houston recorded for the film. The songs are just tough and everlasting as they always remain to be. From her mega-hits I Will Always Love You, to Queen Of The Night, and even I Have Nothing. The soundtrack also has other good, strong gems from others, including Joe Cocker's soulful ballad, Trust In Me, and Kenny G's performance with Aaron Neville on Even If My Heart Would Break.
While many soundtracks lay into dust these days, because of the lackluster music they create for the films, the music from The Bodyguard is still a constant into the cross between music and movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The true DIVA soundtrack album for Whitney!, June 14 2004
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
All of the six songs that Whitney Houston sang for "The Bodyguard" soundtrack show her as a true diva taking control! Every time I hear "I Will Always Love You", I get chills! It is so perfectly done, so beautiful, and you can't be moving around, because Whitney's taking center stage and running the show when she sings it! The other songs are just as good, such as "I Have Nothing", "I'm Every Woman", "Jesus Loves Me", "Run to You" and her no-nonsense dance number "Queen of the Night."
The other album's half is okay, typical soundtrack stuff, but I love SOUL SYSTEM's rapped-sung "Lovely Day" and Lisa Stansfield's "Someday I'm Coming Back." The Kenny G song and the theme from the Bodyguard are also good. But the true album's standout is Whitney! I can see now why it's sold over 24 million albums or so to date! A diva at her highest level!

4.0 out of 5 stars Whitney's first soundtrack, Nov. 28 2002
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
Ain't it funny? This CD hit the spot and the mark where her previous studio album failed.
It was indeed word of mouth due to the movie, but you must admit that most of the material provided by Whitney is far superior than the one she cut for I'M YOUR BABY TONIGHT.
And she only sings 6 tunes on this one...
I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU started the whole commotion, reaching # 1 and spending time there as one of the most longeve hits.
The David Foster production is impeccable.
I feel quite strong in saying this has become since then Whitney's signature song.
The cover of Chaka's I'M EVERY WOMAN is updated to the '90's thanks to Clivilles/Cole supervision, and has become another dancefloor fav.
QUEEN OF THE NIGHT is produced by Babyface and brings out the rock side of Nippy.
Lisa Stansfield, Kenny G. & Aaron Neville and Curtis Stiger contribute with other nuggets.
A great original soundtrack album.

The Bodyguard
The Bodyguard by Various Artists (Audio CD - 1992)