5.0 out of 5 stars Some misplaced Joan of Arc
Attention women of the world: If you listen to one piece of music throughout your entire lives, let it be Patti Smith's Horses. It is one of the most empowering, poetic and beautiful recordings of all time.
Published on July 17 2004 by Sean Corrigan

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the original CD
I listened to the 2 CD set with the live performance. I was more impressed with the original CD then the live broadcast.
Published on June 26 2008 by Wariner

5.0 out of 5 stars Some misplaced Joan of Arc, July 17 2004
Sean Corrigan (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Patti begins the album with Van Morrison's "Gloria" and the line "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." From there, the album is a whirlwind of poetry, emotion and musical experimentation, and the end result is Biblical to say the least. John Cale's influence/production shines through largely on "Birdland," which is my favorite song on the album.
In my opinion, Horses is the best female solo recording of the past 4 decades, but Patti breaks gender barriers completely (that's part of what makes it so great). The songs are not just limited to proto-punk of 1975, they are timeless. The band plays loudly and softly, and the emotion is just the same throughout the entire album.
There will never be another album like Horses, so sieze the possibility and listen to it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars SALOME AND THE CHORDS OF DOOM, March 29 2002
tim byrnes (La Junta CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
...piano drowns in it's own reverb, the music dark like a high mass, aural incense lay heavy as the speaker cones come to life, the black cat of the old blues parts it's teeth and moans...
"...jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine..."
the group joins the catfight, slowly at first, then the wheels roll harder, the wagon rocks, and the rickety creature of strats and drums and thunderbird bass props up and propels the cracked mirror snarls and sweetnothings the singer sings, taking the ancient chant of the sanctified garage, "Gloria", into history.
With "Horses", the Patti Smith Group created a moment in time and sound that we should all strive toward, the purity of both their art and their rock and roll, and the balance struck between the two is a rarity in pop music. The music on "Horses" drives and swoops and undulates and screams and comforts and terrorizes and informs and confuses, it blesses the intellect, the broken or soaring heart, the sacred and the depraved spirit, the hungering body and the bootyshake gland.
Fronted by a black leather scarecrow/mary magdalenic genius, alternately weeping and crowing her words of spite, faith, pride, regret and redemption looking for all the world like Keith Richards' fictional little sister, the Patti Smith Group (Lenny Kaye, Ivan Kral, Jay Dee Daugherty and Richard Sohl)created an album of timeless grace and savage beauty. Like John Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" before it, "Horses" is a record that can hold you in it's arms and let you know that, for all your dark failings and in spite of all the secrets that make it hard to sleep sometimes, it's alright...you're alright.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Patti Experience, June 3 2004
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Patti Smith last March when a friend of my parent's gave me the "Horses" LP 33" vinyl as a birthday gift. I put it on and gave it a shot... The results were phenomenal. Aside from Christina Aguilera's "Stripped", (YES! Christina Aguilera, be quiet! lol), and everything of Moloko's, Patti Smith's "Horses" is the best album ever to have graced my ears.
1) Gloria - A rockin' cover of Van Morrison's classic. 10/10
2) Redondo Beach - A light reggae tune. 9/10
3) Birdland - My favorite on the album, this is Patti at her finest. Stream of Poetry that has beautiful results. 10/10
4) Free Money - A haunting punk rocker. 10/10
5) Kimberly - A lighter, more bouncy song with heartfelt lyrics. 9.5/10
6) Break It Up - A strange vandetta of true Patti vocals and true Patti lyrics. 9/10
7) Land - Awesome. A montage of three great songs. Similar to 'Gloria'. 10/10
8) Elegie - A haunting ballad. 9/10
(Since recieving the original LP record, I have recently purchased the CD for when I'm on the go, so I recieved the bonus track 'My Generation' on the CD.)
9) My Generation - A somewhat messy, but good nonetheless B-Side which you can listen to while head-banging. 9.5/10
**I will most definetely be buying more of Patti's items in the futture. I highly recommend 'Horses' as a classic.**

5.0 out of 5 stars If Patti Smith is the Grandmother of Punk, Dec 22 2003
taoman (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
she sure did it better than any of her grandchildren. I recall seeing her come on stage on Saturday Night Live. I didn't know who she was. She started saying "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine." And she repeated it. I knew immediately this was somebody special. I should find out more about her. All these other glowing reviews are correct. Yes, she's Punk, but she was more. Yes, she's a poet, but she is more. Yes, she's rock, but she is more. She is so many contradictory things depending on her choices. One of the best "rock" albums ever. If you think the Sex Pistols were great, or Green Day is great, then you haven't heard Patti Smith. Do it. It will return three-fold whatever you put into it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the original CD, June 26 2008
Wariner (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock as poetry, Jan. 10 2007
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
With this album, Patti Smith reinvigorated rock in the mid 1970s. A lot of British Punk was just 3-chord anger, but Horses opened up new worlds with its poetic lyrics and melodicism. This ominous version of Gloria, the lilting reggae of the sad Redondo Beach, the evocative surrealism of Kimberly and the violently erotic title track were like nothing else in rock music, and they're still unique and special. I'm not crazy about each & every track but they all have great worth and Horses will forever stand as a monument to the best in rock music. Excepting the title track, the aforementioned are quite accessible and hummable to the mainstream (as opposed to Art Rock) fan. This reissue includes a live version of My Generaton. Oh and Patti looks so sensual on the cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tired Horses, June 26 2004
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
I recently bought Trampin`, which I like a lot, and remember living in a ground floor flat in Exeter when Horses galloped onto the scene, below a young woman who played it all day long, so I heard it without really hearing it - all bloody day long.
Now I have a copy - I was almost afraid to play it - and can only respond, exasperatedly, by noticing Patti Smith`s very American humourlessness, an almost self-righteous earnestness I find grating.
I don`t feel I`m `missing the point` when I say that I think she is at her best on her more melodic pieces (the two beautiful opening songs on Trampin` for example) and that her `poetry` - so Beat, so what? - is too random, messy & devoid of humour or - well, fun.
I like Patti Smith - and I shall be seeing her, along with the great (and witty) Television, next week - but it seems to be the mature Patti who moves me rather than the Jim Morrison worshipper and over-eager pal of Bill Burroughs.
(I prefer Easter, too.)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites., June 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Ive always thought Patti Smith was a genius.Maybe thats because she wrote such a unique version of Land Of A Thousand Dances and made it her own thing as well as Gloria or maybe its because she is simply a great songwriter.Whatever the reason Horses as well as Easter are my favorite songs ever done by a female singer.Yeah some might put me in a better mood such as Alanis but none that Ive heard write this good.There are female poets that are better at writing poetry but none that can write such good songs.The title track is about suicide but its also surreal and bizarre how she makes it sound like this is somehow sexually attractive.Yeah its pretty disturbing but I like it anyway.The Who cover is classic punk.Shes so cool and I play this record all the time.Enough for now go out and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horses, April 25 2003
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Patti Smith first release is a triumph for woman in music. It is angry, sad, beautiful and poetic. Patti voice isn't beautiful nor is it supposed to be. It is angry and sometimes annoying. She sometimes screams and doesn't hold back some of her anger and lets it all out. The compositions are amazing. The first song Gloria is amazing track, partly covered originally by Van Morrison and she sure does a justice to that song. Other notable tracks such as the 9 minute long Birdland, The uplifting redondo beach, the haunting Free Money, the fun yet provocative Kimberly among others. Her band are amazing performers and they now what to do. The producer John Cale doesn't go extreme with production but does not make a soddy effort.
Horses is often reffered as a punk album. I Can not put it into one genre. It is a bit of new wave, punk, rock but overall a fantastic album that doesn't need a time to be categorized but to be respected and loved by those who experience it and really like it. A Classic debut album by an amazing artist. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best, Aug. 25 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Horses (Audio CD)
Patti Smith is the best female performer on the music scene. I became amazed by her when I got the 8 track tape (really) Radio Etheopia and saw her on Saturday Night Live when I was about 12.
I rediscovered her about 7 years ago and haven't let go. This disc, Horses is by far my favorite - great lyrics and tremendous pent up frustration. If you think she's Patty Smyth, forget it, you're head will explode, but if you know Patti Smith, and don't have this one, get it now.

Horses
Horses by Patti Smith (Audio CD - 1996)