march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: LP Record|Change

on February 14, 2002
Everyone knows that this is the best rap album of all time, I'm just laying it out for you. Wu-Tang gave to us what was needed to signify Hip-Hop as a force to be reckoned with.Never before has the lyrical world and rap world collided in such an amazing fashion.When this album came out everyone was trying to make it big as a rapstar, but soon after they realized that it would be a lot hareder to compete with true masters such as the Clan.The Wu gave us amazing lyrics with steady beats to complete a track justly.The intro told us that they will Bring Da Rukus so you better be prepared to battle.In Shame on a Nigga they tell you whats what.In Wu-Tang Ain't Nuthing Ta F' Wit they ensure that the Clan is here and there's noplace to hide so if your gonna try to compete you better be ready to fight.Protect Ya Neck they're styles is wild and they're a threat. But the most powerful tracks are definitly Can't It Be All So Simple Then and Tearz. The tracks describe the beauty and tragedy of life, going into a time were life was different. Tearz provides us with two tales as real of life with real life conciquences.Method Man probably got the best out of this album with his own song, launching him to be the most popular member.What some fans wonder is were's Masta Killah, well if you listen closely you can hear Masta on Da Mystery of Chessboxin' with just one verse. The reason he wasn't on more was because he was locked up. If I could have given this album more than 5 stars I probably given it 10 because it's not he just the quality of the music but it's significance as a statment to the world.
on December 11, 2001
Well, when I bought this album I never heard anything by the Wu-Tang Clan yet so I didn't really had got any expectations but when I heard the album...WOW! It was great, it was like a total new world wich opened itself for me! The Wu Tang Clan really brought something new into hip hop, I can't really explain what but this album has something no other album has.... This is a classic, no doubt but it's not just that, this album is so much more than just a classic, it's ONE of the most important hip hop albums ever made! This is also defenitly the best Wu Tang album but you probably already knew! This album also doesn't have any bad tracks on it but the best are "bring da ruckus" wich has a great beat and thight lyrics, "Da mystery of chessboxin'", "Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthin ta f' wit", "Method Man" wich is my favourite Wu song and at last but not least "Wu-Tang: 7th chamber - ptII" (I like ptII better then the first, I think the beat is much better! This album introduced us to some of the best rapartists out there like Method man, odb, GZA, Raekwon... and almost all the others! So if you want a classic hip hop album wich means something in the game, I recommend you this album, even my mum likes it, and that ain't no joke!
I'm out..
on October 4, 2001
The Wu-Tang Clan's now classic debut album changed hip hop forever. From RZA's myriad of beats to each member of the group's unique style and flow...
RZA: This cat is the main producer for the clan but he occasionally blesses the mic with his flow. Not one of the stronger members of the clan vocally, he could still rip 90% of the industry on the mic. His solo projects under the name Bobby Digital have been pretty solid.
GZA: It is said that if the Clan "formed like Voltron" then GZA would be the head. He's undoubtedly very intelligent but has a pretty plain voice. Still, he is very gifted lyrically and his solo work is the most introspective of any of the clan's members.
Ol' Dirty Bastard: This album shows off his crazy flow and unique style as none of his solo projects ever have (note that I actually liked "Return to the 36 Chambers, The Dirty Version", his work on this album is just better).
Inspectah Deck: A very underrated member of the clan he consistently comes rough and produces solid verses on many joints on this album. His solo work has been a little disappointing.
Raekwon (the Chef): Now known only as Raekwon. "The Chef" possesses a very unique voice and flow and comes with the best verse on several joints on this album. His solo album "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" is flat-out incredible.
U-God: In my opinion the least talented member of the Clan. He's still a very solid member of the group and occasionally drops lines that practically force your hand to the rewind switch. Like Inspectah Deck, his solo work has been mostly disappointing.
Ghostface Killah: Although I love his solo projects ("Ironman" and "Supreme Clientele") they can't quite reach the sheer joy listening to his flow on this album evokes in true hip hop heads. He's got a singsongy flow that can come hard and quick at any moment.
Method Man: Probably the most well known member of the clan, his verses on "M.E.T.H.O.D. Man" are some of the highlights of this album. Check out his album "Tical" to see some of his best solo work.
The bottom line is if you like hip hop at all and don't already own this album then it should be the next one you buy. We're talking about three or four emcees that fall in the top fifty of all time, a great producer, and a solid supporting cast here. An absolute must-buy.
on February 1, 2001
This is REALLY good. Ok I can say more...
Seriously though this the one that got Wu recognized and on the map. However there was always controversy with emcees like them and NWA n stuff. But still as a hiphop fan this album could be considered a classic. The clan here is full of energy and charisma, something that would be toned down a bit in their latter works, but that's not saying much! This album is crazy, hardcore and fun to listen too. Just listening to them here is where they pull all the stops and make a tight album, considered by most to be their best, and iI think I will agree. This is isn't only good for a Wu album but it's great for a hip-hop album.
This is a classic for different reasons: 1) this is packed with charasmatic rappers, 2) the beats by RZA range from good to hypnotic(which is great) 3) their whole backdrop theme thingy with old school kung fu movies and the way of The Shaolin will be borrowed and ripped off many times to come (except with Rahzel, u know what im talkin about ;)
This record would really pave the way for many up and comming artists, but no one has actually GONE there, if you what I mean.
on January 18, 2001
I know I really don't need to write a review of "Enter the 26 Chambers," but I just felt like giving props to one of the greatest hip-hop collectives in the known universe. Whether you like the current incarnation of the Wu or not, you can't deny that this album changed the face of hip-hop and brought much-needed respect back to the East Coast. RZA's demo-style baroque beats, gritty samples and ragged-but-right mixing (to this day no one knows if those finger-snaps are SUPPOSED to be off-beat like that) got a whole coast open, and the MCs just killed it.
"Ghostface/Catch the blast of a hype verse/My glock burst/Leave in a hearse/I did worse..."
Ghost kicks off "Bring Da Ruckus" with determination, which continues through the entire course of this short but to-the-point album. 14 tracks (12 actual songs) that emphasized the MC. And all of the MCs here get their turn to shine. Ol' Dirty tears up the horn-draped loop of "Shame On a Nigga," Raekwon gets his turn on the money anthem, "C.R.E.A.M.," and of course, Method Man rolls solo on the hyped-up "M.E.T.H.O.D. Man."
But the posse cuts are usually the tightest, evidenced by the stellar "Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber," which appears twice, once as a bass-heavy remix at the end of the disc. Lyrical darts like "I be that insane nigga from the psycho ward/I'm on the trigga/Plus I got the Wu-Tang sword/So how you figure/that you can even f*** with mine?/Hey yo RZA/Hit me with that s*** one time" are sprinkled all throughout this album, keeping anyone nodding their head for days at a time.
There are a couple tracks that are less than spectacular, but they don't take a whole lot away from the album. "Tearz" is a little boring, but RZA's constant melodic shifts keep it somewhat fresh. Their breakthrough single, "Protect Ya Neck," is also not the greatest song on the album, but it can hold its own, even among such august company.
This is the most important East Coast album of the decade. Bar NONE.
on October 30, 2000
If I read one more line about "My dessert island" album, I'm going to scream. It's "desert island"! And even "desert island" is a dumb phrase (a desert surrounded by water!) How about "deserted island"? Boys and girls, I'm certainly no Hemingway, but let's get with the program.
As a citizen of this country, which I believe in and which I have seen "Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" tear apart, I must challenge Wu-Tang Clan's debauched assumptions about merit. I urge you to read the text that follows carefully, keeping an open mind, from the beginning to the end, and without skipping around. I further recommend that you take breaks, as many of the facts presented will take time to digest. Viewing all this from a higher vantage point, we can see that a great many of us don't want Wu-Tang Clan to sully my reputation. But we feel a prodigious pressure to smile, to be nice, and not to object to its sinful jeremiads. Some will say I exaggerate, but, actually, I'm being quite lenient. I didn't mention, for example, that "Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" says that a plausible excuse is a satisfactory substitute for performance. That's its unvarying story, and it's a lie: an extremely demonic and callous lie. Unfortunately, it's a lie that is accepted unquestioningly, uncritically, by Wu-Tang Clan's vicegerents. That's our situation today, in very rough outline. Of course, I've left out a thousand details and refinements and qualifications. I've not mentioned that I could hazard a guess and say that Wu-Tang Clan's favorite impolitic scornful buffoons will dominate or intimidate others in a lustrum or two. And I've ignored oligarchism altogether. I've simply pointed out one key fact: Wu-Tang Clan's remonstrations turn the stomachs of those who know even a little about the real world.
If I want "art" I'll go to Paris and visit the Louvre. For rock & roll music, I know that "Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" is the right place. Stand-up and be counted in the fight against "cute" music by "cute" teen idols.
on August 29, 2000
In 1993, Hip Hop took a turn for the better with the release of Enter the 36 Chambers. This album is a definite classic and ranks alongside other Hip Hop classics such as All Eyez On Me, Doggystyle, The Chronic, and Ready to Die. The RZA is a musical mastermind, which is best displayed through his production on this album. The lyrics on this disc are completely addictive. After listening you'l remember lines like "crazy flambouyant for the rap enjoyment, my clan increase like black unemployment......." and "a man with the plan with dreams to make cream which failed, I went to jail at the age of 15.....". C.R.E.A.M. is the signature song on this disc. If at any time you're able to feel these nine men's struggle, it's definitely while listening to that track. Song after song, line after line, Enter the 36 Chambers does for the Hip Hop fan what warm milk does for a hungry infant. Your gritty, underground Hip Hop needs will be quenched by this disc. Enter the 36 Chambers has been out for seven years now, and I still listen to it regularly today. I can't wait for the Clan to release their third offering. It promises to be just as gritty as this one, and if so, will be another instant classic for Wu Tang. All Hip Hop fans should have this.
on August 16, 2000
It's not often that you can pick up an album which is 100% raw talent. In fact, I could safely say that in the past decade I've found less than ten albums which deserve the above accolade. Wu Tang's 36 chambers take that down to 9.
36 Chambers was groundbreaking. It created a whole new sub-culture within the Rap and Hip Hop genre, and gave us more talent in one album that at the time could be found in a selection of twenty. I remember listening to it and knowing that this album had changed my perception of music, Rap and Hip Hop forever.
In seven years I still haven't found a place within 36 Chambers that makes me want to switch to another room. There's not one bad verse, one weak link. The chain is solid. How anyone could mix the bounciness of Shame on a Nigga, with the emotion of Tearz, and the threats of Bring da Ruckus, with the insight of C.R.E.A.M., it's beyond me. No wonder that the production force of the RZA is much coveted.
Of course it helps that the Clan's members all have their own unmistakable style. But remember - 36 Chambers was the beginning, the start of the whole thing. Look at Method Man, Look at the ODB, Inspectah Deck, Rza, Gza, Ghostface Killah. Lok at where they are, and what they're doing now. It's all on the back of 36 Chambers, when their talent was first brought to light.
They say, the birth of a new life is the most incredible thing one can ever see. With 36 Chambers, we saw a multiple labour.
Can you fight the Wu Tang sword style? Not a chance.
on August 1, 2000
Popular music these days has become foul. Every thing is going downhill, with the birth of bubblegum pop. Even hip hop is at an all time low. It began after the deaths of both the Notorious B.I.G., and Tupac Shakur, with the un-originality of rappers like Puffy (Bad Boy), Will Smith, and the Cash Money crew. It seems they are into hip hop for money and/or fame.
The music of the Wu-Tang (back in the early to mid 90s) brought orginality and depth to hip hop. The release of 36 chambers allowed people to look at hip hop, not only as "talking over beats", but as an art form.
The production of the RZA is top-notch. He pulls in trippy melancolic piano melodies and dope beats. He also brings in cool backgrounds and a few rappers with "killer" lyrics. My point is, "give the man his credit". He is a musical genius.
36 chambers intends to bore the listener with the slow and steady track "Bring Da Rukus". It then wakes you up with "Shame on a Nigga". Watch out for the brilliant performance by ODB. It then introduces you to the clan with the third track. For the next 2-3 tracks, it puts the listener in a relaxed soulful mode. Half way though the album, it picks up and plays around with the listener by bringing in humor and gratifying hip hop music. Tracks like C.R.E.A.M., Method Man, and Protect ya neck are examples. Tearz is a hip hop ballad about bad choices in life, also a great one. The final track is a wrap-up of all the tracks. A good idea for a conclusion.
If anyone should own only one hip hop record in their life, it certainly should be this one. This is as good as hip hop gets. I have failed to find a hip hop record that bears comparison to this one. Till this date, it is the highest status in the evolution of hip hop.
on June 21, 2000
Ok,I have a few things to say. FIRST THING, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT GUY TALKING ABOUT. Willenium by Will Smith being the best album? Will Smith SUCKS.ok he can't rap at all. He raps like this, it all makes no sense..."I went to the park, then my dog did a bark, and then I played baseball, at the mall, then I bought a Cd with my friend BB!" It makes no sense, but all of his songs make the top ten. No wait, what top ten, what am I talking about. See Will Smith brainwashes you! Anyway second thing this album is a classic, ok if you like pop, if you like country, if you like rock, and of course if you like rap you will like this album. I like all kinds of music, (well I only like some heavy metal, rock, alternitive, rap) and I love this album. The whole album is good, It could make you laugh at some of the humor, or make you get up in front of the mirror and start rapping to the lyrics. Overall this is a classic album that will apeal to people who like pop, rock, pop rock, heavy metal, rap/metal, alternitive, so on and so on...