5.0 out of 5 stars They're Beyond Everything....
Published on June 20 2004 by Paul H.

3.0 out of 5 stars taxiing down the runway....... still taxiing down the runway
I really like these guys...I would have given it a higher rating if there had been more strong points throughout the cd, but they are too few and far between. It's as if Hum is taxiing down the runway, but just can't seem to get enough lift to take-off. I got the same feeling from their previous release, "You'd Prefer an Astronaut" (B000002WSX). The only song on...
Published on Sept. 9 2002 by J. C. Carmichael

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Beyond Everything...., June 20 2004
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
Hum is a band that can be embraced by both indie snobs and fans of more commercial rock, and for good reason. The songs are beyond compare, the lyrics are romantic in a highly intelligent, strange, and yet comforting manner. And of course, the riffs destroy just about everything in its path. Like the guitar haze of My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3, and Flying Saucer Attack? Check. Like the riffs of the Deftones, Failure, and The Smashing Pumpkins? Hum leave those guys in the dust. Downward Is Heavenward will perhaps remain one of the 90's most overlooked records, rather sadly. It takes the potential of You'd Prefer An Astronaut and completely follows through times ten. Whether underground or commercial sounds are more your speed, you'll definitely find something to like here.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums ever. period., May 30 2004
D. R. (Virginia Beach, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
I've been a HUM fan for about 3 years. I can't even describe how many times i've listened to this album. beautiful musicianship. I've never heard such a sonic harmony before. They are masters at taking simple riffs and transform them to nothing short of genius. less truly is more. just buy this damn album. you won't regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars In your face melodies!, April 10 2004
Five-6-Kilo (DE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
I bought SYPAA back '98 and liked 2 songs on the 1st listen. Checking out that CD, my ears were NOT listening to the music, because they didnt know how to... yet. I thought the singer was below mediocrity, and really brought the band down. Whoa, was I ever wrong. I realized after listening to this CD a few times, that the singing was NOT the music...the musicians were the music, and the CD took on a whole new dimension. I eventually came to love SYPAA (and the singer).
As soon as DIH came out, I bought it. I was totally amazed at how fantastic this CD sounds. The guitar work is what sets this group apart from any other that I have heard (I'm still looking). If your expecting a wall of sound like heavy metal-thrash-speedmetal, its not gonna happen. If you want sounds from all angles, with all sorts of riff's and swirling in the background.. check it out! I've had this CD for about 4 years now, and I listen to it quite regularly. Thats a good sign of quality and perfection, as most of my CD's start gathering dust after the 1st year. If your not onboard after 3 listens, have your ears checked. Thats my opinion, nothing more ;^)

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, it is THAT good, March 21 2004
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
this album has the power to transport you to the ends of the universe. this is truly amazing and awesome music. u must hear this. do not dismiss it after one listen because you can't handle the big guitars. You will have committed a sin. do you wish to discover the meaning of everything? go on, it won't hurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars beelzebub and time machines, March 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
This album is so addictive, it kept me up at night for a few weeks after getting it. Lyrics about medicine men and satellites... numbers, and the System fading away... and brilliant guitar work. I just hope people can get through the first two songs, as they are merely ordinary in the face of the rest of it. Mind you, they become good songs once you come to appreciate the amazing thing that is Hum, but to the untrained ear I think the first two songs might sound like just run-of-the-mill 90s alt-guitar-rock. I recommend skipping to track 3 (If You Are to Bloom) the first few listens. That's a minor issue, though. I bought this masterpiece purely on the amazon reviews, and yes, it lives up to all the amazing praise seen here. I just had to confirm it yet again in case any are still in doubt. If you're into music that probably no one else you know will have, then this is what you want - it is the epitome of the obscure Magnum Opus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars to Infinity..., Dec 29 2003
Metalgazer (Salisbury, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
Who will join me in flooding the internet with countless praises of HUM in hopes of urging them into a reunion tour?? Hopesfall can be the opening band. I only got to see this band live once, and have since often had dreams about seeing them again. This band is HEAVY -- musically as well as emotionally. Though I dare not tag them with the curse of emo, for they rock too hard and are far too original for such a label. Just great Heavy Alternative music. Track 4 (Ms. Lazarus) is my personal fave and if you ever get a chance to hear the B-Side to "Comin' Home" (PUPPETS), then you are in for a treat. HUM, I beg you...please reunite. Centaur is great, National Skyline is wonderful. But don't deny us one more album of your art. Heck, one more song would do me right. Perhaps "Boy with Stick Part 2" ??? Thanks for the music

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's true, your just ordinary, Nov. 22 2003
Marc Frontario (Orlando, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
This band is the type of band that makes other bands want to disband. Just fly up their hands in disbelief and go home.
After only listening to the first song 'isle of the cheetah', you will scream, you will cry and then you will accept your mediocrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars a universe you never saw, Nov. 5 2003
nick (st cloud, mn usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
in the great pantheon of music, one thing is clear: drug addicts write the best songs. time and again this truth is proven. radiohead, spacemen 3, pat boone (just kidding). hum should fall into that category. on the first few listens, "downward is heavenward" seems like one of those albums that sound like it was made in some magical faraway land of colorful sounds and lyrics that somehow say what our souls have been aching to scream for ages. but the more spins you hear, the more you notice how incredible the songwriting is, how phenomenal the guitar work gets, how masterfully the entire album was mixed and assembled. this wasn't a drug-induced record. these guys are just that far ahead.
"isle of the cheetah" is undoubtedly a rock gem. i defy you to find its equal. it serves as the portal into a 52 minute lesson about the universe you can't see with your eyes. from there, the album winds its way along, alternately chundering, melodic, and surreal. moments of pure genius are stacked all along the jouney, in every song. "apollo" is one of the top 5 "starry night highway driving" songs, hands down. and to top it all off, as if this album needed it, "scientists" purges all the guitar angst of the space-age life and leaves you breathless and desparate to listen to it all again.
buy this album. it is head and shoulders above all but a select few records EVER. it stands as hum's defining and most mature effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melodic & Heavy, Oct. 5 2003
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
Wonderful CD and this from someone raised on 60s and 70s rock. It's beautiful and heavy at the same time, powerful yet soothing. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and your hand looks so nice in mine., Oct. 3 2003
S. A Schumacher "I keeps it real." (Basking Ridge, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downward Is Heavenward (Audio CD)
Well first off, the production on this album is simply amazing. All the layered guitar work is superb. While the material isn't technically complex there are so many intricate parts...you really have to LISTEN to appreciate.
And musically I can't rave enough about this album. Every track rocks!
This has got to be one of my top ten albums , along with You'd Prefer An Astronaut.

ARRAY(0xb5922798)

Downward Is Heavenward
Downward Is Heavenward by Hum (Audio CD - 1998)