5.0 out of 5 stars Biggie Does it Again
Published on July 10 2004 by Gangsta Gangsta

3.0 out of 5 stars Song by Song rating.
Disk 1:
1. Life After Death Intro ---
2. Somebody's Gotta Die (10/10)
3. Hypnotize (8/10)
4. Kick In The Door (7/10)
5. #!*@ You Tonight (Feat. R. Kelly) (4/10)
6. Last Day (Feat. The Lox) (6/10)
7. I Love The Dough (Feat. Jay-Z & Angela Winbush) (4/10)
8. What's Beef? (10/10)
9. B.I.G. Interlude ---
10. Mo Money Mo...
Published on Feb. 20 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Biggie Does it Again, July 10 2004
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
After owning his first album, I copped this one today at Spinnakers, and am glad I did. Biggie's music has never let me down. It pisses me off that Biggie was shot, he was the most talented rapper of the East Coast scene. If Biggie and Tupac were still alive, and if them and dre were still in the rap scene I'm sure things would be much different. We'd have new material from the most talented rappers of the 90's instead of crappy cash-ins.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIPHOP CLASSIC, July 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
Life After Death is the sophomore of the Late Notorious BIG. He showed maturity and growth in his skills and agenda. I previously believed Ready To Die was unsurmountable and nothing in the future could be better. He proved me wrong. Biggie Smalls is definitely the GREATEST MC OF ALL TIMES. Both of his albums are street classics which most consider in the top 10 hiphop classics of all times. Rest In Peace ma brother. Rap has never been the same without u.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big man, with an even bigger amount of talent, May 25 2004
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
Through only two albums, Notorious B.I.G. showcased his amazing lyrical and rhyming talent. The second, Ready to Die, released mere weeks after his tragic murder in Los Angeles, is a double-disk set. One would expect a large amount of filler, but there is surprisingly little on either disk. The mood varies greatly, from the tragic-toned "Somebody's Gotta Die" to the haunting "What's Beef?" to arguably my favorite track on the entire album, a song so masterfully described I could picture it as a scene in a crime movie, "Niggas Bleed". On the lighter side, we have the upbeat "Going Back to Cali" and the laid-back "I Got a Story to Tell". As noted elsewhere, Biggie has a very vivid and detailed way of describing the events going on in his songs, so to picture yourself at the events as they happen is surprisingly easy. Overall, this is a solid album, despite being a close to a career that was clearly not over. The Notorious B.I.G. may have had but two albums, but sometimes, that's all it takes.
My Top 5 for both discs:
1#: Niggas Bleed
2#: You're Nobody ('Til Somebody Kills You)
3#: Somebody's Gotta Die
4#: What's Beef?
5#: Going Back to Cali

5.0 out of 5 stars A Legend That Left Before His Time, April 26 2004
Timothy Pernell (Saratoga, North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
No words could describe the grief I feel whenever I think about Biggie and Pac. Two of the arguably best rappers in the game, two young Black men taken away by stupidity. Despite this, both brought out some of the greatest rap albums of all time. This album, Big's second, is one shining example. "I Got A Story To Tell" on side one is enough to wanna cop it, it's that hot. While Puffy seems to be runnin' off @ the mouth at some point, he doesn't take away B.I.G.'s shine. Possibly one of the best lyricists that ever lived. Biggie was Bad Boy IMO and when he left, Puffy's label slowly disintegrated...and so for now has rap. This album NEEDS to get re-released as a deluxe edition, there has to be some hidden magic here somewhere.
Essential Joints: "Somebody's Gotta Die", "Hypnotize" (learned to accept it overtime even though they played it half to death in '97), "Kick In The Door" (BIGGIE!), "F**K You Tonight" (R. Kelly and B.I.G. together again is a masterpiece... classic joint), "I Love The Dough" (w/H.O.V.A.), "Mo Money, Mo Problems" (Nile Rodgers should get his paycheck every time that song's played), "N****s Bleed", "What's Beef", "Got A Story to Tell", "Missing You", the track he did with B.O.N.E. Thugs, "Going Back to Cali", "Ten Crack Commandments", "Sky's The Limit" and "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Kills Me".
Grade-A certified masterpiece. You'd be damned if you don't have this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Diamond, April 25 2004
J.D. (USA/TN/Memphis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
This is one of the best Hip Hop album ever made in hip hop history. You don't know hip hop until you listen to this, Big was such a head of his time. Some Chrouses on this album were ok but Biggies lyrics saved it a lot. It is very sad that Big past away he would have been huge right now. Look at Jay-Z now and look at him at that time. Makes a lot of since doesn't it Big and Pac would have been huge. Lyrically Big is one of the best he has a story telling type style. That's why rappers say he was so good you just have to really listen to what he's saying. The best song to me would be..... I can't name it but a list would be Somebody Got to Die, Story to Tell, Kick in the Door, Going Back to Cail, Notorious thugs, and Your Nobody (Till somebody kills you) I'm not a fan of Big but I respect his music. R I P we still miss ya Big Guy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great artist, slightly above average album, April 19 2004
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
I know many people will argue that Biggie was and still is the greatest emcee ever to touch the mike, and that Life After Death is pure evidence of this. I'm not one of those people. I believe that BIG was a great artist and his absence from the game left a void that has yet to be filled, I don't believe he was the greatest, nor was this album the greatest. This is a two disk album with only about 8 or 9 tracks that I would even consider good, and last I checked, good isn't = to greatness. When BIG was on point, he was on point, and songs like "I got a story to tell" truly showed his skills as an artist, but Mo Money, more problems, and few other tracks on the album kinda had me like, that was okay, but not great. The only thing that made this album memoriable for me when I first purchased it back in 1997, was the fact that Big had passed away. I feel if he never died, I as well as many others wouldn't have gave this album as much attention as it recieved. Overall a good album, but not the greatest. Maybe if it was a one disk instead of double and without all the fluff, yeah I could probably see myself calling this "One of the Greatest Albums", but I can't.

4.0 out of 5 stars King of the East Coast forever truly, April 10 2004
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
This album is just mind-blowing. While many love this album, I still feel Biggie's Ready to Die tops this by a long shot. Don't get me wrong, this is a classic but on Ready to Die, he spoke more truthfully. While Ready to Die focuses on the realities of life, Life After Death is more of a party album (similar with 2Pac's Me Against the World and All Eyez on Me). Biggie's rhymes are still tight (as usual). They fit so well with the excellent production (even though I absolutely HATE P. Diddy and Bad Boy Records). The way Biggie flows is somewhat different and is excellent. I like the way he sounds, bit of a slushy sound which makes the album even better. Everyone is familiar with the well-known Hypnotize, I'm just surprised it didn't turn up in the Top 151 Rap Songs of All Time in The Source. I mean, this is not just any song, it's the ULTIMATE party track of ALL time! Whoever produced this song really knows how to make GREAT party beats. I was so blown away when I first heard this tune, Biggie comes out clean here. DJ Premier of Gang Starr appears to produce Kick in the Door which does not disappoint one bit either. Mo Money Mo Problems will definately get your feet tapping, a great remix of Diana Ross' I'm Comin' Out.
Disc 2 is the disc I enjoy more, however. The infamous Notorious Thugs starts the disc off well, with one of my favorite rap groups, Bone Thugs N Harmony. Biggie shows off his fast flow here and does a pretty damn good job. I also like Bizzy's verse as well. Miss U is my personal favorite off the album, I just instantly fell in love with the tune the first I heard it. Dedicated to Biggie's homeboy, this is a very emotional track and has the same feel as 2Pac's Dear Mama. Nasty Boy is one of the few letdowns on the album. I don't know what Biggie saw in Lil' Kim. Personally I don't like Lil' Kim's music, she talks too much about sex (don't get me wrong, sex is good but really, is there any point to rapping about sex the WHOLE way through your album? Coz that's what Lil' Kim's Hardcore seemed like to me!) Skip this track. Other highlights are Playa Hater, Sky's the Limit, Long Kiss Goodnight (which has always been rumored as a 2Pac diss) and the dark and eerie You're Nobody. My Downfall is a good song but DMC singing the chorus really annoys me. Overall this is an album to really add to your CD rack if you really want to be a TRUE rap fan.
Biggie rose to the top in late '93- early '94 and fell in '97. And for what? For being so successful? What is with people these days? First we lost Eazy, then we lost 2Pac and then Biggie was shot. If those idiots didn't shoot such legends, rap wouldn't be so boring (as it is now). Biggie was a man who lived up to his name, he WAS bigger than life. And nothing, not even death, can stop him from being the King of the East Coast. R.I.P. Biggie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, even though it was his last, April 7 2004
Wayne Maye (Petersburg,VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
1997 started off with a bang for Biggie, but sadly six months after 2-Pac was murdered, he was murdered himself. If only he was alive to promote his sophomore double CD, Biggie would reigning supreme at this moment. But this album, Life After Death, is a GREAT experience to listen to. It moves me every time I listen to it, and it's one album that never lets you go. Here's the review:
Disc One
Album Highlights: The entire first disc. ONLY listen the track with R.Kelly when you're with "that special someone."
Production: Thumbs up.
Lyrics and Subject Matter: Thumbs up. You want PRECISE storytelling, listen to "Somebody's Gotta Die", "Niggas Bleed", and "I Got A Story To Tell."
Originality: Thumbs up.
Disc Two
Album Highlights: Notorious Thugs(with Bone Thugs N Harmony), Miss U(with 112), Ten Crack Commandments, Nasty Boy, Sky's the Limit, My Downfall, Long Kiss Goodnight, and (You're Nobody)Til Somebody Kills You
Production: Thumbs up.
Lyrics and Subject Matter: Thumbs up.
Originality: Thumbs up.
The Last Word: The first disc is TIGHT, and the second disc has some MAJOR flaws(Another, Playa Hater, etc), but this album EXCELLENT. While it's NOT better than Ready To Die, this is still Biggie at his best before his death. Overall, a strong recommendation to purchase this album. Don't sleep.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Crap, March 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
Fooled you with the title and rating, did'nt I? This is one of the best albums in hip-hop,and definetly one of my favorite albums in general. Cop this (meaning GET it) along with:
Project: Funk Da World, Craig Mack
Coral Fang, Distillers
Illmatic, Nas
All Eyez On Me, 2Pac
Master of Puppets, Metallica
and to conclude this, Get Rich Or Die Tryin' 50 Cent

5.0 out of 5 stars Joke Comments, March 14 2004
This review is from: Life After Death (Audio CD)
I find it amusing and sad that people come up with lame comments on biggies albums like dont buy it buy 2pac or 2pac was better why? its so sad and a disgrace to the memory of both slain rappers. You people will never understand hip hop music/ culture.

Life After Death
Life After Death by the Notorious B.I.G. (Audio CD - 2005)