5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Christmas CD EVER!!!!!!!
Published on Dec 6 2003 by Jennifer McDermott

2.0 out of 5 stars overproduced
I can see that if you grew up listening to this album/CD how you might have some nostalgiac recollection of the holiday season and thereby relate to that innocent time in your life when any break from a choral representation of holiday standards was ground-breaking. However, with all the Christmas collections out there today, this CD is starting to show its age. The...
Published on Dec 4 2003 by Jason D Dewees

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Christmas CD EVER!!!!!!!, Dec 6 2003
Jennifer McDermott (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
I finally found this on CD!!! YAAAAY!!! I'm 26 years old and I grew up listening to this Christmas CD every year...and we still have the original cassette which does't sound so great anymore!!! This is going to be a huge suprise for my Dad as he's been looking in all of the music stores every year to see if it's been put on CD!! And now it is!!! This has got to be one of the most fun and energetic Christmas CD's of all time and it will get even the scroogiest person out there in the Christmas spirit!!! It's great for Christmas parties!! Thanks Amazon for having this......it will make my Dad so happy to finally have it on CD and make our house hopping at Christmas!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, Nov. 28 2003
J. Kaas (Welland, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
I am 19 years old. This album is older than me but it's what I grew up on for Christmas music. I absolutley love this record, and I am so excited to see it on CD. From beginning to end this album is played several times in my house every year, because I love it so much. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to Negatives...Best Christmas CD EVER!, Dec 21 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
I read one of the Christmas CDs for this (the only one I think that was bad) and this moron said...'it's starting to show it's age'.....'over produced'. Again, I say MORON. This album is a classic and just because of it's age or Production you cannot deny this is simply the finest Christmas album of all time. If you are going to condemn it due to a Production style that has aged, or technology that wasn't as good...then what's next? 'Mozart and Beethoven out the window because the music is no longer 'hip' ? Tear down the Statue of Liberty...it is old isn't it? This person who wrote that review either has a tin ear...and or simply doesn't know anything about music. The tracks are alive, fun and it still and always will hold up against ANY of the cliche CRAP that's out today. Britney, N'Stink, Any Rap act...anyone of the whiney, played out ...I MUST singing 150 notes for every one written...they ALL stink. Christina, Alicia Keys....Clay , Reuben...all of them are light weights (singing wise)...do you think that 40 years from now ANY of the aforementioned will be remembered? No way.
Buy the album. You won't regret it. Not even 40 years from now. Merry Christmas.
(REBEL AGAINST CRAP MUSIC...(Oops , I mean Rap Music)

5.0 out of 5 stars The classic album, Oct. 26 2003
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
This album was something of a revolution in its time, at least where Christmas music was concerned, although all that Phil Spector actually did was apply his normal production style to Christmas music.
The Crystals, famous for Then he kissed me and Da doo ron ron, sing brilliant, energetic versions of Santa Claus is coming to town, Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer and Parade of the wooden soldiers. The Ronettes, famous for Be my baby, are equally brilliant on Frosty the snowman, Sleigh ride and I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus. Bob B Soxx and the blue jeans, famous for Zip-a-de-doo-da, also excel on Bells of St Mary's and Here comes Santa Claus.
Darlene Love, whose biggest success was as lead singer of the Crystals on He's a rebel, sings four songs here, a rare chance for her to be credited as a solo performer. Christmas (Baby please come home) is the only original song here. White Christmas includes the rarely heard verse about being in Beverley Hills. The other two, Marshmallow world and Winter wonderland, are also outstanding.
The closing Silent night is just a series of spoken acknowledgements set to a backing track. Don't worry about that - the twelve songs that go before set the standard for Christmas rock albums when it was first recorded and still do, because nobody has bettered it in the forty years since.

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw Ronnie kissing Phil Spector, Dec 26 2003
Johnny Heering "trivia buff" (Bethel, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
The greatest rock and roll Christmas album of all time? Yes, it is. Great "Wall of Sound" production and great singing (especially by Darlene Love) on some Christmas classics. Okay, "The Bells of St. Mary's" isn't really a Christmas song (although it was the title song from a Bing Crosby movie), and "Parade of the Wooden Soldiers" isn't really a Christmas song either (although it is about toys), but they do fit in with the rest of the album. The rest of the songs are well known Christmas songs, other than "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", which is a great song written especially for this album, and "Marshmallow World", which is a relatively unknown Bing Crosby song. This is a classic album that I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one!, Dec 6 2002
C. Heinrich "wsidechris" (Oyster Bay, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
In the grand tradition of the mentally unbalanced yet undeniably brilliant pop producer Phil Spector, here is a batch of Christmas songs featuring that bombastic yet oh so infectious "Wall Of Sound". And you will love it. The Ronettes, The Crystals, Darlene Love, and Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans. And that mad genius at the helm. It's all great! Don't miss it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars santa's little helpers......., Nov. 4 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
this album has made itself as traditional as turkey & mince pies.
christmas ain't christmas without these songs, they complete the season, great classics, loved by all generations, everyone can singalong, & also very danceable.
even tho' it's LA, & their palm trees, not xmas trees,
it still sets the mood! party on!

5.0 out of 5 stars magnificent, Dec 19 2002
GARY D. LEMBICZ (WEST SENECA, NEW YORK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
Phil Spector, has really out done himself, when he put together all the girl groups, He put together a great style of music, I think it is great because it is different than the other boring christmas song, example, bing crosby, and those type of singers.GARY D.LEMBICZ

5.0 out of 5 stars The album that changed Christmas forever......., Jan. 7 2004
RW (MO - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Christmas Gift For You From (Audio CD)
I was watching a Christmas episode of Moonlighting in the 1980's - another telling of It's A Wonderful Life. In the opening scene, the alarm clock sounds and Sleigh Ride comes pounding out....cut short by a startled Cybil Shepherd. I did not like "oldies" music at the time, but eagerly waited for the credits that night to find out who sang that song! To my disbelief, the song was not listed in the credits, but the hunt was on. I had to find it - I had to figure out where that sound came from! So much time has passed that I don't know how I located it, but I somehow found out that The Ronettes were the group that was singing that night. I started talking about the song at work, and to my suprise, one of my employees gave me a cassette of this album a few days later. I played it that year so much, that I wore it out... literally. I had a 3 hour drive home that Christmas, and played it so loud for so long, that the amplifer mounted under the radio actually melted the tape as it played!!! I replaced that tape and have purchased it several times since - original pressings, cassettes, cds, etc. - I'll never be without a copy again.
This album had the unfortunate timing of being released the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. It wasn't exactly the year to be celebrating..... and it's brilliance did not have a chance to shine in 1963. As they say, timing is everything.
40 years later... listen to "A Very Special Christmas", or "Mariah Carey's - Merry Christmas", or Any Jackson 5 Motown Christmas Song, or... the list goes on and on... and you'll hear this album's influence on song after song.
This album changed the sound, spirit and direction of Christmas music for generations to come. It finally became a hit when released on the Beatle's Apple Records label in 1970 (under the title "Phil Spector's Christmas Album"), and has been in print for most years since. Producers and artists have copied and reinterpreted the sounds on this disc over and over again.
I have 115 Christmas CDs in my collection and growing (not to mention lots of albums, cassettes and 45s). This isn't just any Christmas album, and there is nothing that equals it in my collection.
This isn't just one the greatest "Christmas" album ever released, it is one of greatest ALBUMS ever released. Calling this album a Holiday or Christmas album is actually selling the album short. It's a concept album. An orchestral pop masterpiece that reinterpreted decades old songs that everyone listened to on static-filled radios at grandma's house, and breathed life into them for the [then] current generation and all others since.
This is not an album to play softly. It is best heard at MAXIMUM VOLUME. The layers of sleigh bells, chimes, xylophones, maracas, castinets, booming percussion, guitars, pianos, horns, and other instruments, as well as a chorus of background vocals form the famous "wall of sound" (once you hear it, you'll understand) propelling the artists' voices like a rocket into the season. None of the songs sound alike, but they all have the same "sound". The louder you play it, the more energy you'll feel. It's infectious.
The only detraction from the album is the discs closing track, a recitation by Phil Spector over the artists rendition of Silent Night. Listen to it once or twice for curiosity sake, and then program your cd player to skip it.
Don't let another Christmas go by without this CD in your collection. And, start giving it to others too... this is a much better gift than a bottle of wine, or a batch of cookies!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars all the way!, Jan. 21 2014
Love the "Wall of Sound" Phil Spector created for us all to enjoy. The Christmas songs on this album are timeless and I suspect will be around for many holiday celebrations to come. This was a last minute Christmas gift request from my husband ordered about 2 weeks prior to the big day, and it arrived less than a week after I placed my order!

A Christmas Gift For You From
A Christmas Gift For You From by Phil (Various) Spector (Audio CD - 2002)