5.0 out of 5 stars The Mood Within
I first came across an edited version of "The Creator Has A Masterplan" on a cd sampler....I purchased the full length version the next day.
Published on Oct. 29 2000 by Anthony O'Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Karma
Published on April 15 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mood Within, Oct. 29 2000
Anthony O'Sullivan (Dubai United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
This album has that indescribable quality of all true classics. It isn't the lyrics, the vocals or the superb improvised passages that make this a great work. It's the mood that the combination of all of the above creates that captures the listener.
The playing lifts you up and carry's you along for the ride. The long soulful vocal passgaes give way to franctic instrumentals segueing into quiet lulls. Underlying all this is a smooth African backbeat which lends the piece its structure.
The best way to listen to this is in a darkened room or in a car at night. Let the music rush through you and let the music build the images in your mind. It is amazing that a record with so few lyrics can be so thought provoking.
The terms freeform-jazz and jazz-funk ordinarly induce horrific images in my mind but this record transcends stylistic boxes in a similar fashion to Van Morrison's Astral Weeks. Analysis is worthless, the album is great becuase it is!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AHHHHHHHHHhhh, March 7 2003
D. Wolf "wolfd" (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
I've enjoyed this album (oops I'm dating myself) CD since about 1970 and have never tired of it. Regular listening to "The Creator Has A Master Plan" can lift your spirts anytime, anyplace. I had the joy of seeing Sanders and Leon Thomas perform this song and the other track "Colors" a couple of times during a stint they did at a club in Cleveland and it remains one of the great musical moments of my life.
To those who trim a star from the rating because it's "hippy jazz," I say "get a grip." The music of Sanders, Thomas and their excellent accompanyists is pure, unbridled joy. Sanders takes Coltrane's overblowing technique to original heights; Thomas sings the best of his incredible career. Liston Smith's Piano and Reggie Workman's bass are tremendous throughout - in particular they are in terrific form in the parts where they group breaks away from the main theme of "Creator."
Hey Amazon! Can I make it 6 Stars?

5.0 out of 5 stars A master plan by a master musician!, Aug. 28 2000
Paulo Leite (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
One day (after years of Jazz listening) I saw this cd and decided to give it a try. I had never listened to Sanders before and had no idea what I was going to hear. Seconds after "The Creator Has a Master Plan" started playing I felt like breathing for the first time in years... like if I had just come out from the water and had a deep breath! That's how I feel about this album. A breathtaking musical experience! Long? Yes, but it actually pays off! It is free, damanding and never boring or anything like that. Since then, I have been a Sanders fan all the way and I really think one cannot talk about Jazz and not to know Sanders (and this album particularly). It's incredible how one can be so free, so full of life and be able to pass those feelings so well to the listenner. A master plan by a master musician. For your soul!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures a Vibe ... Beautiful, Feb. 26 2002
Scott McFarland (Manassas, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
The best of Pharoah's music from the early 70's stands apart from that of his contemporaries as something unique, even while it sounds of its time and place. Pharoah was reaching for something dep and spiritual, but (unlike some of the music he had been involved with in the late 60's) he had both feet planted in the ground and made music free of elitism, music that anyone can appreciate.
This record consists mostly of the massive piece "The Creator Has A Master Plan". It's got a nice undertow (courtesy in part of master bass player Cecil McBee) and maintains a vibe not unlike 70's music that we've heard before - "quiet storm" music - music played by collaborator Lonnie Liston Smith, for example. But here the music keeps striving for transcendence even while it relaxes - this is something special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcendental, Dec 10 2002
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
One of my all time favourites. Truly shamanistic, much has been written of the visions of Africa Coltrane's music can produce in the listener, but this is the one that takes me there, some of Pharoah's playing will take you to the ritual of the ancestors, the spirit dance, the masks of the winged gods, and then bring you back to earth with just solid beauty. Great arrangements, from a much more spiritually optimistic era. A unique feel,yet I always associate this record with the Brainticket masterpiece "Celestial ocean" and Jodorowksy's "la montana sagrada", I think it's due to the cover photo, it has that Jodo alchemist feel to it. My favourite of his many brilliant recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have enjoyed this album for years, Aug. 21 2000
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
I have this on LP along with some 15 or so other Pharoah albums. I think this is certainly his best under his own name. It very much represents his best and strongest. I saw him last night at Blues Alley and the first song was My Favorite things... it was 1 hour long. He only did 2 1/2 songs because the first was so long, but he could have stopped there. It was like nothing I have ever experienced at the club, Blues Alley, and I have been there over 50 times. I would also VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND the titles under Alice Coltrane, Journey in Satchadanda, and Ptah, the El Daoud. Those two and this one are a must for any serious jazz fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Karma, April 15 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
I know I am in the minority here, but Pharoah Sanders' "Karma" is not an amazing album and is certainly not his best effort on the Impulse label. Personally, I find "Karma" trippy, hippy and dated. This album trades in the avant-garde spirit of "Tauhid" and the exploratory freedom of "Thembi" (my two favorites), for a more watered-down appraoch that tried to appeal to the flower power crowd. If you want to burn incense and find your inner-child, listen to "Karma," but if you want a powerful exploration of the new jazz of the late 60s, get "Tauhid."

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Experience, Nov. 2 2000
Stephen (Virginia Beach, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
The Creator has a MAster Plan is one of those rare instances where all out passion leads to a completely peaceful place. The band is great and Thomas' Yodelling is quite interesting and of course Pharoah's playing is out of this world. I was to young at the time of this release, but its my understanding that it was a "pop hit." 30 years later Pharoah is still creating wonderful music but no major labels will record him.
I give this 4 stars because the 5 minute filler "colors" is so completely unneccessary. Its hippy-dippy fluff compared to "Creator."

4.0 out of 5 stars TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING, April 15 2003
JHK (Van, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
"The Creator Has a Master Plan" is an excellent song -- a must for anyone interested in the groovy sounds of the jazz/world fusion of the 60s, but is heard to better effect in an edited version on the compilation "Red Hot on Impulse!" (an absolutely excellent sampler that will open up a world of great jazz to the listener". The album version gives way to the excesses of the day with bleating, screaming and overblowing segments that serve only to break the infectious groove of the song. The second track is basically filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars on Karma and love.., Oct. 4 2001
This review is from: Karma (Audio CD)
a particular point here is that of love. Love is unlimited. You can love one person and still have plenty of love to love another. It is not a determinate resource, it is infinitely renewable.
With this thought, love Karma. Pharoah Sanders made a beautiful album here, one that is of love. I like thembi and jewels of thought too, and I don't think that there should be an order to how I love them. Please, if you can, pick up this album. If you like it, pick up others, if you do not, think about why you don't and maybe pick up others.

Karma
Karma by Pharoah Sanders (Audio CD - 1995)