boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Auto Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on January 30, 2003
I own 4 recordings of Mozart's Requiem, and this one is one of my favorites. Marriner's version is brighter and quicker than the others I have, giving it more energy. It does have a darker feel in places, as it should being a requiem. For a truely dark rendition, I would have to recommend Karajan.
The sound quality of the recording is excellent (DDD). I found myself wishing for more from the tenors in a few places, but that is simply a matter of taste.
on October 30, 2002
This is undoubtedly the finest recording of Mozart's Requiem I've heard. Having owned several recordings of the Requiem Mass, each having its own distinct style (Karajan, Hogwood, Pearlman, Spering, Christie, Solti) this release by Sir Neville Marriner outstands them all.
It's a wonderfully dramatic recording. This comes from the same conductor who recorded the soundtrack to Amadeus, of course. It is also a dark sounding record, while most the period-instrument recordings available of KV. 626 are rather light, airy, and superficial for a death mass. While this may be a powerful modern-instrument rendition, it is not a romanticized as Karajan's, which is a good thing.
The soloists are first rate. McNair's voice is perfect in intoning the "Te Decet" with her explicit calmness, yet tacit darkness and tension that you cannot get from Monica Groop, Ruth Ziesak, or Emma Kirkby.
The conducting is careful and the tempi are perfect. You never need to worry about Marriner going to slow as other modern-instrument conductors do. I have never heard a "Recordare" more radiantly executed, or a "Kyrie" with such driving force, or even a technically challenging movement such as the "Domine Jesu" handled with such precision.
The choir is also the strongest choir I've heard sing Mozart's Requiem. This chorus can invoke fear, while other choirs sound either too large or too amateurish for such a piece.
Regarding sound quality, I have never had a problem with the sound as it sound just a beautiful as any other record in my collection. Maybe it is the resonance of the record, but it does definitely give the record the sound of a large church interior, which is quite appropriate for the music. Although this recording does NOT seem to have any sound or noise deficiencies.
on January 9, 2002
I'll be darned if this isn't one of the finest CDs I've ever heard. I must be honest - I am a big Mozart fan and had never heard of Sir Neville Mariner. I know, I know, 'How can you call yourself a Mozart fan if you've never heard of Sir Neville Mariner?' Well in retrospect, I suppose I wasn't a *true* Mozart fan until I stumbled across this CD.
Anywho, on with the review.
The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields Choir is astounding. And with the good Sir Mariner at the head, they can do no wrong. Their performance is impeccable from the slow dark tones of Tuba Mirum to the powerful Rex Tremendae, and everywhere in between.
This is not one of those "good for any kind of mood" pieces of music. If you're willing to sit down and listen to the musicality of it all, it will lift your spirits like nothing else. If however, you listen "superficially," odds are it will either depress the heck out of you or perpetuate your current ill state of mind.
Don't get me wrong! This is some of the best music in the world! But you must bear in mind that it is a Requiem mass - a mass for dead people. It's fantastic music, but not "happy" music.
All in all, this is just about as good as it gets. If you like classical music, and don't already have this recording of this piece, don't leave your seat until you order it. For everyone else, that goes for you, too. I mean that! I want you to have this CD!
on July 7, 2003
This is by far the best recording of the Requiem available. Marriner's tempi are perfect: slow enough for expression, but fast enough to hold interest. Unlike most other recordings, it doesn't drag...but it's also not so fast that everything whooshes by. The orchestra and choir are perfectly balanced...neither one is overpowering. Usually the choir sounds like a bunch of separate groups of singers all recorded separately. In this recording each voice in the choir is heard equally, and therefore sounds like a unit. The soloists are first-class, and their voices blend magnificently. angel; she has the most beautiful soprano voice I have ever heard. This cd is almost worth buying just for her breathtaking solo in Tuba Mirum. If you have only one recording of the Requiem, this should be it. It's worth every cent.
on May 23, 2004
ya muchos han descrito las grandes maravillas que esta versión del requiem posee. indudablemente, la voz de la soprano es la mejor que oido para el requiem de Mozart. desde el introito la soprano se impone, irónicamente, con su delicada voz de angel. Solo diré que despues de escuchar la versión de Mariner, no he vuelto a oir otra versión que me impacte tanto como ésta, ningun otro "lacrimosa" de este mismo requiem me ha conmovido tanto como el que se presenta en este disco, y ninguna otra versión de este mismo requiem me ha hecho pensar tanto en la muerte como éste.
on June 8, 2004
coincido con los comentarios de otros en la espléndida participación de la soprano en el introito, en verdad parece la voz de un angel. debo solo agregar que es uno de las versiones de este requiem de Mozart que me ponen los pelos de punta, realmente me pone en contacto con el más allá, un exquisto trabajo sobre la muerte (no precisamente la del compositor). después de escuchar la versión de Sir Neville Mariner, muy pocas otras versiones me han gustado y me han emocionado tanto como ésta.
on December 10, 2003
When I looked for a version of the Mozart Requiem, I listened to literally 30 recordings until I finally chose this one. The balance, sound, and most importantly musicianship and interpretation are superb. The soloists, and especially Sylivia McNair, are to die for. The piece is breathtaking and beautiful. Don't miss possibly the best recording of the Mozart Requiem to date.
on April 18, 2000
Of the 3 performances of Mozart's Requiem that I own, this one is my favorite. It's full of energy in all the right places, and really appropriately depressing in all the right places. I've never noticed any problem with the recording quality (and I hope I don't start listening for one now!), although I don't pretend to be an expert.
on June 17, 1999
Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy did an excellent job on this CD. They performed Mozart's Requiem superbly. This is the best version of Requiem that I have heard. It is a must buy for anybody who loves Mozart's music.
on December 31, 1998
I have this CD and it is absolutly wonderful. The singers,conductor, and orchestra play beautifully, Mozart's Requiem Mass,(which is already beautiful) leaving you with the best you've ever heard!