5.0 out of 5 stars The way Holst was meant to be performed, Dec 18 2003
Raymond J. Kim (Troy, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Planets (Audio CD)
This is probably my alltime favorite orchestral work, and my most overplayed CD. The Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal does a superb job of interpreting Holst's most famous work.
Mars, for example, with its wide dynamic range, beginning with a very low pianissimo and hitting its climax later (as this movement should), is captured with all the tension and intensity worthy of "The Bringer of War." I played this CD at work one time, and one of my passing co-workers quipped, "boy, this sounds like Star Wars." I don't think he was aware of how appropriate of a description it was!
I also need to mention the segue between Tracks 6 and 7, the transition between Uranus and Neptune. The change is barely perceptible. Uranus ends very quietly, and Neptune begins equally so -- almost to the point where I can't tell one from the other. I have to respect an ensemble that can make this transition in this manner.
Overall, this is a very enjoyable album. If you've never heard this work before, I'd tell you to begin here.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Planets, May 8 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Planets (Audio CD)
What can I say; The Planets is timeless. Great music. Audio descriptions are very well done.
Sit back and relax with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super nice!, March 20 2010
Ce commentaire est de: Planets (Audio CD)
A really nice disc of a recording that has been around for over 20 years.

Planets
Planets by Charles Dutoit (Audio CD - 1987)