Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on December 18, 2003
This is probably my alltime favorite orchestral work, and my most overplayed CD. The Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal does a superb job of interpreting Holst's most famous work.
Mars, for example, with its wide dynamic range, beginning with a very low pianissimo and hitting its climax later (as this movement should), is captured with all the tension and intensity worthy of "The Bringer of War." I played this CD at work one time, and one of my passing co-workers quipped, "boy, this sounds like Star Wars." I don't think he was aware of how appropriate of a description it was!
I also need to mention the segue between Tracks 6 and 7, the transition between Uranus and Neptune. The change is barely perceptible. Uranus ends very quietly, and Neptune begins equally so -- almost to the point where I can't tell one from the other. I have to respect an ensemble that can make this transition in this manner.
Overall, this is a very enjoyable album. If you've never heard this work before, I'd tell you to begin here.
on October 25, 2015
The performance is quite good. I've listened to 2 other performances and this one has the most emotion. It's superbly conducted. The recording is top knotch with barely any hiss. You can ascertain the individual instruments in the recording and it sounds great on a good hifi system or good headphones. I highly recommend that you add this to your collection.
on February 11, 2015
I really enjoyed this rendition of the Planets. its Great. I read up a bit online before making my choice and I glad I chose this one.
The recording is clear and crisp, I loved the variation from slow to bombastic!
on October 18, 2015
The first composition that got me into classical music. This is one of the highest rated versions of The Planets. Jupiter is a favourite.
on September 17, 2015
Sublime recording. A timeless classic.