5.0 out of 5 stars YES!
Published on Aug. 5 2002 by M. Lu

3.0 out of 5 stars Great eighth, Poor Nineth
The performance of the eighth is great, but the one on nineth is among the worst presentation. The ryhthem, speed variation all got wrong. Too hasty for the 1st movement (about 1 minute shorter than many versions of other conductors) and too slow
somewhere else.
Published on March 6 2004 by Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars YES!, Aug. 5 2002
M. Lu (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
I'm extremely glad that I bought this. I wasn't familiar with Dvorak's symphonies other than the popular 9th before I had a chance to listen to the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra played his 8th, which just absolutely blew me away in the concert. SLSO did a great job and I hope they'll make a recording of the 8th. Anyway, it was the topnotch excitement the 4th movement of the 8th that made me want to hear more for the very first time. I spent a lot of time reading the reviews of the different recordings available because I wanted to make sure that I'd get the best recording for the fabulous 8th, so I got this. The playing is wonderful, just like what other reviewers said. And I was happy to discover yet another great symphony of Dvorak's--the 7th. I listen to the 8th almost everyday and now I listen to the 7th a lot. In fact, I don't really listen to the 9th, don't know why. I find that the atmosphere the 7th and the 8th (especially) generate is more addictive than that the 9th create. Anyway, Dvorak's 8th is a must-have for people who are into classical music as well as those who are not, because I'm sure that people who are not into classical music would still find this piece a gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Are my ears too sensitive?, July 2 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
This is a very fine recording of Dvorak's popular symphonies. I was very pleased by the contrast in dynamics, and I felt that all effort was put into this performance by the orchestra and Dohnanyi, backed up by the clear, crisp digital recording. There is absolutely no background noise.
However, I have some very minor comments to make. They are quite ambiguous, maybe even annoying to some people. Heck, it might not be even worth reading. But here goes:
No. 7, first movement. Only for a short time, but very noticeable, was the slight disrupt in timing between the horn and the trumpet. The horn comes and goes slightly before the trumpet, where they should be together in a unison.
No. 8, first movement. At the final bars, the timpani seems to be out of place. Listening to the main tune and the timpani together, it sounds quite uncomfortable.
No. 9, second movement. I heard a cough!
No. 9, finale. The very first entrance sounds as it is rising from the dead, instead of the hard, solid entrance as it should be. Perhaps it was an editorial miss. When the trumpet is playing the main melody, after the horns, there is an instance whre an extra sound just comes out from the trumpet. Clearly a mistake.
Considering these minor errors, it is difficult to say that this is the best recording of these pieces. But overall, as I've mentioned, the orchestra comes together extremely well. I was particularly astonished by how well the string section comes together within themselves. Looking at the price as well, this set is worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite set of the great Dvorak symphonies, April 7 2001
Gregory M. Zinkl (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
I'd wager that there are individual recordings of these works that surpass these performances. Then again, maybe not!
The one performance to beat in this set is the 7th. Dohnanyi and the incredible Clevelanders perform it to perfection, with an almost perfect interpretation.
For the ninth, there is a lot of competition, but what Dohnanyi has that the vast majority of recordings do not is a freshness to the performance. Dohnanyhi's straightforward approach works very well here.
The eighth is perhaps the lesser light of the set, but that hardly says anything, since it, too, is excellent, and ranks as one of my top three favorites (Walter is #1, Macal and Milwaukee and Dohnanyi tie for #2). If you want to check out some incredible playing and to get an adrenalin rush, check out the finale.
The playing, needless to say, is exceptional. Beautiful string sound, although not lush as, for example Boston, Philly (in there peaks under Munch/Leinsdorf or Stokowski/Ormandy, respectively), and the precision of execution, as usual, is outstanding.
The recorded sound, as for so many of the London/Decca recordings in Cleveland, is outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Bargain,.Good performances., Aug. 13 2000
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
David Hurwitz has some fairly bogus reviews here, and tends to be biased against certain performers. Still, he's done a good job here at Amazon pointing out good recordings and couplings that I might tend to flip past at a music store or... scroll past here at Amazon. This one is a real gem, and an excellent value.
The Cleveland Orchestra rarely makes a bad recording. Their sound tends to be "lean", in that individual detail is the goal. There is still a certain warmth to the playing on this recording, and a level of folkyness. Here we have Dvorak's best symphony (the 7th), his most creative symphony (the 8th) and his most exciting symphony (the 9th) all played with a consistant level of flair and wonderful interpretation. I think this might actually be my favorite reading of the 7th symphony and the filler on the second disc, the Scherzo capriccioso has always been one of my favorites. I'll be coming back to this set for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden & Gorgeous, March 16 2000
M. Seeley (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
I am so glad to see these recordings reissued into an affordable set. Dohnanyi's Dvorak evokes the sunniest spirits without forgetting to point out the storm clouds that occasionally move in. His performances retain some wonderful nuances such as the slight hesitations before cadences. Whatever the reasons, Dohnanyi's Dvorak is absolutely golden and gorgeous.
Dohnanyi and his Clevelanders extract extraordinary vibrancy, detail and songful spirit from these works. Each symphony recorded here is a testament of the Clevelands balance of precision and power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Szell?, Feb. 17 2000
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
I have not heard Szell's recordings of the Dvorak symphonies, but I have read in other places that these are better. They are certaintly cheaper than Szell's recordings. The sound is absolutely perfect. The low strings, horns, and tympani sound particularly good. If you are like me, you only know of the 9th symphony of Dvorak. If this is the case, I strongly urge you to purchase this set. Personally, I like the 7th and 8th symphonies better than the 9th.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Jan. 28 2002
J. Andrew Howe (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
I'd never heard the 7th & 8th symphonies. I think hearing them on this CD will spoil any other interpretation for me. The portions of the new world symphony are done with no less excellence. The scherzo makes for a great finale, leaving me wishing for more. Buy this CD, and you'll play it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a performance, what a price!!!, April 6 2003
"scarlatti11" (Killeen, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful performance
of the great symphonies by Dvorak.
Von Donanyi does a wonderful job
with the orchestra. These are radiant,
sunny, and exuberant works. These
symphonies go very well with the
"Scherzo Capriccioso". Great works,
and great orchestra!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cleveland at its Best, Jan. 31 2002
Lee C Bright (Pembroke Pines, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN (Audio CD)
Having grown up in Cleveland, its orchestra always has a place in my heart. This release represents perhaps the best the orchestra can offer. Outstanding work surpased only when these works were performed live in Severence Hall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great eighth, Poor Nineth, March 6 2004
Paul (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
somewhere else.
By comparison, Abaddo's version is not good either with overplayed 1st movement. Karajan's version is better but still
far from great, with 2nd movement played too slow. Bernstein's
version is OK but not great.
The only version that rendered the great composition the best, in my humble opinion and limited knowledge, is the one of Bratislava Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Lenard Ondrej.
It seems that Czech composers' misic are better presented by
Czech musicians. Unfortunately, this perfectly performed version
was very poorly recorded !

DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN
DVORAK: SYMPHONIES 7, 8 AN by Dohnányi/Cleveland Orchestra (Audio CD - 1996)